Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

No new units, no new mechanics, no new meta

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 8:18:19 PM

There isn't a world, in which i don't buy a CoH game. That being said, i think the factions so far are boring. Im a PvP-Player and to be specific:

1. Only one new mechanic that got me interested, am not talking about breach, american vet or heights. The only one for me is "transforming" units to other units, as you can do with axis. Other than that, its alle the old stuff and the factions all feel very similar to each other and i was hoping to a better contrast like in CoH 2. Basebuilding so far is the same for all factions.
  2. No new units
    The number of different units is finite, i get it. But not even gurkhas? Bring in some Italian commander. The mobile AA-gun for axis was kinda new. More of that please.
  3. No new meta
    With no new units and no interesting mechanics, i don't see the gameplay being interesting for years to come. It's the same meta we have seen for years.

3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 8:23:34 PM

While I don't think we are seeing the full roster (going off of some of the files in the game) I agree.... Seeing a coh1 building in coh3 feels "cheap".   Assuming these assets are placeholder we can move on to the "no new meta" portion and I agree.  The factions feel very similar to coh1 and at this moment in time don't really present anything new.  The brits and Americans don't feel that much different, nor does the game really have any sort of pacing for being a year out from release.

We should expect new assets to come and I hope the dev team has some sort of direction to take the game as currently the community is treating it as both a final game but also a "pre-alpha" even though we are a year out from release without much to show in terms of how the game should play.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 8:49:17 PM

I get it that entirely!

I was hoping they did a pacific theater or even cold war instead to really change up the dynamics.

I hear people complain there wouldnt be enough vehicles but the online isnt already realistic, could just for the sake of it, throw in the tanks anyways.

It is kind of refreshing to play CoH3 but I do wish they tried something a little different. 

3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 10:43:37 PM

I agree with you, BUT it's a pre-alpha, i think they are testing the core mechanics for the game, i think there is a lot to come...

3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 11:27:58 PM

one of my concerns is the health bars make it feel like a battle of hit points instead of an actual war. I am not sure if it's the firefight itself or because the UI for unit health bars doesn't look right (IE too big/prominent)

should try making the health bars more like CoH 2 so we can determine why the infantry battles feel a bit strange

3 years ago
Jul 22, 2021, 11:52:57 PM
SeeBee wrote:

There isn't a world, in which i don't buy a CoH game. That being said, i think the factions so far are boring. Im a PvP-Player and to be specific:

1. Only one new mechanic that got me interested, am not talking about breach, american vet or heights. The only one for me is "transforming" units to other units, as you can do with axis. Other than that, its alle the old stuff and the factions all feel very similar to each other and i was hoping to a better contrast like in CoH 2. Basebuilding so far is the same for all factions.
  2. No new units
    The number of different units is finite, i get it. But not even gurkhas? Bring in some Italian commander. The mobile AA-gun for axis was kinda new. More of that please.
  3. No new meta
    With no new units and no interesting mechanics, i don't see the gameplay being interesting for years to come. It's the same meta we have seen for years.

Gurkhas are in the game though!

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 11:45:06 AM

No new meta? how can you even have a meta in a pre alpha against an AI.

We can talk about the meta when the complete game is released.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 12:44:16 PM
oldbait wrote:

No new meta? how can you even have a meta in a pre alpha against an AI.

We can talk about the meta when the complete game is released.

It is really early to talk about a meta, but not too early to voice some concerns about it. Maybe im wrong - in fact i hope im wrong. I played CoH1 and CoH2 a lot in multiplayer and my point is, that so far i don't see the things, that will set CoH3 apart from it's predecessors in multiplayer and so the gameplay will offer nothing new - hence no new meta. CoH1 and 2 went through a lot of changes in balancing and if CoH3 will offer nothing new in multiplayer mechanics or units, then history is bound to repeat itself.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 12:45:06 PM
Crekpozer wrote:

I agree with you, BUT it's a pre-alpha, i think they are testing the core mechanics for the game, i think there is a lot to come...

I really hope you are right.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 12:47:58 PM
Wahrheitssucher wrote:

I get it that entirely!

I was hoping they did a pacific theater or even cold war instead to really change up the dynamics.

I hear people complain there wouldnt be enough vehicles but the online isnt already realistic, could just for the sake of it, throw in the tanks anyways.

It is kind of refreshing to play CoH3 but I do wish they tried something a little different. 

Funny, i just recently talked about a pacific theatre with a friend. I'm german so i would miss the axis a bit, but i like a good new game more than being a wheerabo. How about the Korea War ...

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 10:33:21 AM
SeeBee wrote:
  1. No new units

Have you played the pre-alpha? I’m going to have to dispute this point, not least because I have literally seen and played with Gurkhas. Other than Gurkhas, I’ve also seen Coldstream Guards, the American-Canadian unit known as the Special Service Force, Crusader AA Mk.I, Italian Partisans, Archer, Bishop SPG, Chaffee, and more. I’ve no doubt there will be more to come as more commanders get announced and more public tests come through. I think there’s even a whole faction we haven’t been introduced to yet.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 4:58:49 PM

Only pre-alpha yet. I'm hoping we will see more in the next stage of testing they do.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 7:36:19 PM

i agree, hoping for lots of more units to increase varities of meta, even if it's just esssentially copy and pastes but with slightly different stats, abilities, and models

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 8:24:16 PM
TartanClad wrote:
SeeBee wrote:
  1. No new units

Have you played the pre-alpha? I’m going to have to dispute this point, not least because I have literally seen and played with Gurkhas. Other than Gurkhas, I’ve also seen Coldstream Guards, the American-Canadian unit known as the Special Service Force, Crusader AA Mk.I, Italian Partisans, Archer, Bishop SPG, Chaffee, and more. I’ve no doubt there will be more to come as more commanders get announced and more public tests come through. I think there’s even a whole faction we haven’t been introduced to yet.

I have played the pre-alpha, though to be fair i didn't search for units in every corner. From my limited experience the available units all felt very familiar in their capabilities, although be it under a new label. As a positive example i like to quote again the mobile anti-air unit with a set fire arc. Now that is a unit that feels new and exiting.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 8:26:54 PM
MattikushTTV wrote:

i agree, hoping for lots of more units to increase varities of meta, even if it's just esssentially copy and pastes but with slightly different stats, abilities, and models

I think they will doing a good job on the copy and paste/new models part.

3 years ago
Jul 25, 2021, 1:07:48 AM

imagine thinking you know the meta in the pre-alpha stage of the game lmao

3 years ago
Jul 25, 2021, 1:38:10 AM

Wait until we can test out the Multiplayer. Even though the units are similar, the meta will likely be completely different.

?

Click here to login

Comment