Commanders that should be revamped:
Elite Armor Doctrine
Elite Armor Doctrine:
- Signal Relay: "Boosting signal range briefly reveals enemy vehicles on the mini map." => Should reveal ALL units on minimap, same as interrogation training, and should temporarily boost vehicles' sight range, e.g. by 5 or 10.; This would give this doctrine some kind of reconnaissance. Maybe increase cost from 50 to 60 ammo.
- Emergency Repairs: "Vehicle crews gain the ability to repair critical damage on their vehicles. The crew is very vulnerable during this repair procedure." => It's very expensive, takes long and doesn't help much but removing a crit damage. Just make it the same as USF "Critical Repair" or Sowjet "Self Repair", just to bring this ability in line.
- High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) Shells: "Tanks are now issued HEAT ammunition for increased penetration." => This ability is the heart of this doctrine. And I don't want to change it a lot, just 2 things: Match this ability with sherman's HE rounds vs. infantry and increase accuracy vs. vehicles. First, because of greater AOE this ability would give this doctrine the opporunity to deal with blobs and heavy infantry gameplay. In the current state this commander is AT only (except the big fat motherf**cker we all know ). This would increase its usefulness. Second, this ability only lasts for a few seconds. And according to reload time your tanks can make only ~3 shots. For 45 ammo and only short duration I would highly recommend those ~3 shots to hit their target^^
- Panzer Commander: "The Panzer IV, Panther & King Tiger can be upgraded with a Panzer Commander that can survey the battlefield and call in coordinated artillery strikes." => First, bring it in line with british tank commander (+10% accuracy, +10% sight) and on top of that, because it's called "Elite Armor", the tank commander should also boost +10% veterancy gained. And for his ability to call in light howitzers, just change it to Ostheers' light artillery barrage and adjust its activation range accoring to tank's sight range. In return, increase cost from 35 to 50 ammo, same as MG42.
- Sturmtiger: Switch it with Breakthrough Jagdtiger. That would suit both doctrines much better.
- Goliath: "Boom." => Cool gadget, works well sometimes. Maybe decrease its cost to 80 or 75 ammo and reduce its target size, same like demo charge for example.
- Forward Receivers: "Reveals enemy units passively in the fog of war." => This ability is redundant with "Early Warning", has very short detection range and brings your trucks at high risk without much benefits. Remove this ability completely. My suggestion for this instead: Give this commander an ability to upgrade forward trucks to gain extra ressources (same bonus and costs as chaches; same ability UKF Trucks had in CoH1 [who remembers? ]). Because of having only 3 trucks and not beeing able to put more on the same territory at the same time, this would be balanced by itself without any costs. On top of that you are forced to set your trucks up on front.
- Early Warning: "Points that are under your control are equipped with flares. The flares will trigger when an enemy unit captures your territory." => Just leave it as it is. It's the core of this doctrine and has great impact, especially in 1vs1.
- For the Fatherland: "Infantry in friendly territory will receive a defensive buff and movement speed increase for the duration of the ability. Lasts 30 Seconds." => Just remove its restriction "friendly territory". This would give this commander a chance to attack and play a bit more offensiveley. OR increase defensive buffs but make infantry not retreatable for duration. This would suit its heroic intention to fight or die "For the Fatherland" and would also complement the defensive character of this doctrine.
- Sector Airstrike: "Stuka close air support will recon and attack the target area. 1 plane will strafe with machine guns, while another will bomb the area." => Great ability, great randomness^^ The bomber is a kind of lottery and its AOE is such huge that it sometimes hits your own units. On your side of the map. Not good. The bomber also gets shot very easily so your 250 ammo is wasted in seconds. I would suggest to make the bomber a single strafing run, same as british Air Supermacy: Samller area, less randomness and no friendly fire behind your own lines. OR to complement the defensive character of this doctrine again, combine this ability with the idea of UKF sector artillery: Once it's activated, a Stuka and a bomber are patrouling all friendly territories and will attack every enemey unit trying to enter it.
Maybe you have recognized, I don't like to play much around with costs. I think many abilities limit themselves and would therefore be balanced without much channging needed.
And if I could make a wish: Please buff Special Operations "Radio Silence" ability! In current state, it only deactivates the minimap of 1(!) enemy. If u play 2vs2 or with even more enemies, it's almost worthless. On top of that, just disabling the minimap is not much worth at all. My suggestion: Increase its cost from 35 to 50 ammo. For that price you can deactivate whole enemy's team minimap AND deactivate all warning sounds. We already had such an ability long time ago in Company of Heroes Online, you remember? That would give this commander a great new wepaon with no much changing or tuning. To make sure this won't be too strong you could increase its cooldown to a few minutes.