Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Company of Heroes 3 Gameplay Overview

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 6:12:02 PM

Gameplay Overview

Company of Heroes is back and delivers the core gameplay that players have come to expect and love. Looking to its roots, Company of Heroes 3 focuses on the gameplay that made it the number one rated RTS of all time while also bringing forward the best elements of Company of Heroes 2. Familiar mechanics such as Directional Cover, Destructible Environments, and TrueSight are back and better than ever, and new features such as Breach and Vertical Gameplay add new layers of strategy and tactics for the player to discover and enjoy.

Gameplay Pillars

Authentic, Fun, Cinematic Warfare
While Company of Heroes 3 puts gameplay first, we also strive to be as authentic to history as possible. We want the player to feel like they’re in control of their favorite WWII movie, where authenticity and cinematic warfare blend into a fun, bombastic, and immersive experience.

Strategy & Tactics Beats Dexterity
Unlike many traditional RTS, a player’s actions per minute (APM) in CoH doesn’t mean much if their strategy and tactics are not up to the task. In Company of Heroes 3, a small force can beat a larger, more powerful one if the player uses things like combined arms, defenses, positioning, and the environment to their advantage.

Player-Led Emergent Moments
Company of Heroes 2’s game director Quinn Duffy once said, “every battle tells a story,” and in Company of Heroes 3 the number of stories to tell are endless. As the commander you decide how to lead your army and what strategy and tactics to implement. As each battle unfolds in a diverse, constantly changing environment, a new story will be written by the variety of choices and actions you make on the battlefield.

Unique Armies with Immense Variety
Company of Heroes 3 will include more factions than any of our previous launches, and each one will have its own unique asymmetrical design. Each army will also have more units in their core roster than ever before, allowing for more unit variety and diverse build orders. Whether you are hyper-aggressive or prefer to build elaborate defenses, CoH3 has an army that fits your playstyle.

Immersive, Strategic Environments
Thanks to the breathtaking landscapes of the Mediterranean, Company of Heroes 3 will have the most diverse and beautiful maps and environment in the franchise to date. Tank shells and artillery generate craters to use as new cover positions, destroy buildings and walls to prevent or remove enemy strong points, and use height to their advantage. Knowing and taking advantage of the ever-changing battlefield will be key to victory. 

Core Mechanics

All the classic core mechanics from the CoH franchise are back and better than ever. Below are some of the core features that will be making a return in Company of Heroes 3.

Immersive, Strategic Environments

• Flanking & Directional Cover: A core component to every Company of Heroes match is the use of cover to reduce accuracy and damage of incoming fire. Position your troops behind walls, foliage, vehicles, or any other type of heavy or light cover object to hold ground and defend territory. To root out a well dug in enemy, flank your opponent’s exposed cover positions to inflict the most damage and push them back.
  • Garrisons: Infantry can garrison buildings on the battlefield to use as strong points and defend territory. An enemy garrison causing you problems? No big deal, destroy that building with artillery or breach it to remove the threat.
  • Destructible Environments: The battlefield in Company of Heroes is an ever-changing landscape that evolves through player inflicted explosions and destruction. Turn beautiful, pristine vineyards and towns into piles of ash, craters, and rubble that can be used as cover, open new pathways, and reveal previously blocked Lines of Sight.
  • TrueSight: The innovative feature of TrueSight from COH2 makes a return to Company of Heroes 3 with the new added component of Line of Sight blocking terrain. Use tall walls, hedges, buildings, and terrain to conceal your movement and ambush your enemy.

Resource System

Territory Capture: CoH’s classic territory capture system will be making a return with a throwback to the original Company of Heroes resource system design. Capture resource points such as fuel and munitions points to build more powerful units and use unique abilities, secure cut-offs to deny your enemy supplies, and finally capture and control Victory Points to defeat your opponent.

Strategy & Tactics

• Combined Arms: In Company of Heroes 3, players will need to use a combination of unique infantry, team weapons, vehicles, off-map support, and defenses to defeat your opponent. Each different type of unit has a unique role to fill, such as suppressing infantry with Heavy Machine Gun fire, assaulting garrisons with flamethrowers, softening defenses with mortars, howitzers and off-map artillery, penetrating heavy armor with anti-tank weapons, and spearheading enemy lines with armored vehicles. Only by using these components in orchestra can a player be successful on the battlefield.
  • Squad Preservation: Two of the player’s most vital resources in Company of Heroes 3 are manpower and veterancy. The best way to maximize both is to keep your soldiers alive, healed, and reinforced. The strongest soldiers on the battlefield will be the veterans that know when to retreat and when to stay in the fight.

New Features

Height Gameplay

Verticality in terrain now plays an important role in Company of Heroes. Terrain is now both Line of Sight and shot blocking, making the player think more carefully about unit placement and facing. In addition, units with a height advantage also receive a combat bonus to their weapon accuracy and will negate an enemy’s cover bonus.

Breach 

Breach is a new feature to Company of Heroes 3 that allows certain squads to clear an enemy from an occupied building. Flank a garrisoned enemy position and activate the Breach ability to take control of a strategic, defensive position. 

Tactical Pause 

Tactical Pause allows players to play the Campaign Missions and Single Player skirmishes versus the AI at their own pace. At any moment during a match, players can pause the game and take a moment to re-assess the battlefield, their current engagements and strategy. While paused, players can queue up all the same commands that can be done in real-time such as move /attack orders, abilities, build commands, etc. Once ready to resume the fight, simply un-pause the game and watch the queued commands unfold in real-time.

Side Armor 

Armor profiles of vehicles in Company of Heroes 3 has been updated to now include side armor. This addition makes vehicle positioning and facing all that more important as exposed, weaker side armor will be an attractive target when flanking the enemy. 

Destruction 2.0 

Destruction in Company of Heroes 3 is getting a major facelift. In addition to significantly improved visual fidelity, destroyed buildings will now also have up to three different states:

• Shot and sight blocking: Similar to CoH2, the building will no longer be garrisonable but will also block shots, Line of Sight, and pathing 
  • Cover: The building will no longer be garrisonable but units can path through the destroyed building and use its ruined state as cover 
  • Flattened: The building will no longer be garrisonable but will not block Line of Sight, shots, or pathing 
Recon System
Reconnaissance will play a much larger role in Company of Heroes 3 with specialized utility and recon units in every army. To help support this type of gameplay a new recon system has been designed to identify and track different unit types in the Fog of War.

More to Come
We have a couple surprises and additional features that we are currently exploring and can’t wait to share with you when they are more locked down. Keep an eye on our CoH-Development channels for updates and more info.

Battlegroups

Battlegroups represent the next installment of the Command Doctrines from Company of Heroes 1 or the Commanders from Company of Heroes 2. In Multiplayer, Battlegroups will augment and supplement core armies with unique tools, units, upgrades and abilities.  

Each Battlegroup is comprised of 10 Battlegroup Abilities and is split into two differently themed branches. Like Company of Heroes 1, players will earn Command Points via combat that they can spend to unlock abilities down each branch of a Battlegroup tree. Each branch will include exclusive choices. At these decision points the player will need to choose which ability they want to unlock for that battle, with the un-chosen ability locked for the remainder of the match. Below is a work-in-progress example of the US Forces Airborne Battlegroup and the linear unlock flow of the abilities in each branch. 

Choose Your Army

US Forces

Company of Heroes 3’s US Forces is designed to represent the US armed forces that fought in the Mediterranean theater in 1943 through to 1944. The faction caters to an aggressive playstyle that benefits from superior production, weapon upgrades, mobility, and combined arms. Featuring a familiar unit roster while introducing new faction mechanics and an updated tech structure, the US Forces allows the player to be flexible with their strategy and adapt their tactics at each stage of a match.

Commonwealth Forces 

The Commonwealth Forces are intended to represent the British and the Commonwealth Forces that fought alongside the US Forces in the Mediterranean theater. The faction is designed to be a mix of defensive infantry and team weapons, fast and mobile light vehicles, and heavy armor that can soak up damage and incoming fire. They are a well-balanced army with a simple to understand tech tree that allows the player to choose the strategy that best suits their playstyle. This is by far the most offensive version of the British in the Company of Heroes franchise, with a well-rounded toolset and roster that should appeal to both casual and competitive players alike.

Wehrmacht 

The Wehrmacht in Company of Heroes 3 are designed to represent the German army pitted against the Allied Forces in Italy. The Wehrmacht benefit from superior defensive capabilities, overwhelming firepower, and elite training and experience to attempt to push the Allied Forces back into the sea. In addition to their strong defensive toolset, the Wehrmacht can also hit hard on the counterattack with a mix of elite infantry, superior armor, and heavy-hitting artillery. The Wehrmacht will feature a strong mix of familiar and new units, a more complex tech structure, and unique faction mechanics to ensure this army stands out as new, fresh, and exciting to play. 

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 6:30:48 PM

Not wanting to flame or anything, I'm just checking (I usually do that when I hear stuff like *the best rated game*) and here are the scores:

- Company of Heroes 1 -> Metascore: 93 and User Score: 8.8

- Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos -> Metascore: 92 and User Score: 9.2 (so, higher than COH1 by the users)

- StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty -> Metascore: 93 (so the same as COH1) and User Score: 8.3

- Age of Empires 2 The Age of Kings -> Metascore: 92 and User Score: 9.0 (again higher here)

- Company of Heroes 2 -> Metascore: 80 and User Score: 2.2 (a sad score here, I'm not sure why, I didn't play COH2 in the first 2-3 years, but the game is pretty good now)

So, it's not technically a lie because as of Metascore, it is the highest (equal to StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty) and I'm surprised by that, usually when a company says stuff like *highest rating* is just PR (they didn't mention which rating, so ye, as of Metascore, the highest, as of User Score, not really, but very high anyway). 

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 6:50:29 PM

The COH3 looks promising so far. I still suggest an option to see units stats by selecting the unit (just like in StarCraft, WarCraft 3, Age of Empires and so on) and also, maybe, an in-game page with all the stats of the units just like in StarCraft 2 (literally all of the stats).

Here is an example of that page from StarCraft 2 (btw, you can access this in the main menu of the game as well, not just while being in a match)

Maybe you could add it here in the helping menu.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 8:07:25 PM

Nice of you to share this info Relic :) Reading how you define the pillars and central features yourselves gives us all a better insight in what you have in mind, while also helping us give more accurate and relevant feedback.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 8:08:07 PM

Hello,

Very excited about the game!

I'm just going to state my opinion (others might not agree with me).

But I really dislike the microtransaction/lootbox/heavy grind models for games (and for COH2).

UNLESS it is for cosmetic purposes only.

Cheers!

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 8:24:34 PM
Always been a fan of COH and COH2, from playing the alpha so far i am not liking the direction its going, it feel lest realist and more arcade. I know this is early but if you dont get a realist feel for the battlefield then I would be less interested in the game and most likely not buy and play it.

I am all for larger battles, destructible environment, dynamic battles, but to me this feels like a red alert 3-4 game rather than a proper COH or assault squad with a heavy feel.

Just my input.
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 8:27:18 PM
Onek_McPound wrote:

Hello,

Very excited about the game!

I'm just going to state my opinion (others might not agree with me).

But I really dislike the microtransaction/lootbox/heavy grind models for games (and for COH2).

UNLESS it is for cosmetic purposes only.

Cheers!

I agree, microtransactions are good because it assures updates for a longer period, but they are good just if they are for cosmetics, announcers and so on, not for something that would affect the gameplay.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 8:48:19 PM
Munte wrote:

- Company of Heroes 2 -> Metascore: 80 and User Score: 2.2 (a sad score here, I'm not sure why, I didn't play COH2 in the first 2-3 years, but the game is pretty good now)

That user score was caused by campaign controversy and review bombing by Russians.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 9:15:46 PM

Very well and detailed description of the whole plan. Thanks for sharing it we us, Relic! 

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 9:44:17 PM

Hopefully we'll get Italian faction later. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 10:46:31 PM

It's a great layout you've given there but as it stands at the moment I'm not feeling much of it.

The cover system for instance doesn't feel any different than coh1 (apart from multiple squad icons showing cover location's) from 2006.

In some ways it's worse as it stands.

Units don't visually look as if there actually using the over.

There's no ducking behind said cover when being shot at, some squad members sticking out and even a lot of cases where the UI says my squad is in cover, yet visually there is not actual cover to see, only a plain dirt road for example.

In a game of this era, the cover system could be so much more with today's technology and industry experience.

I'm also dissapointed to learn that the zoom level is unimproved.

I hope that you don't think that just because this zoom level has been the same in the series throughout, that it should remain that way.

The zoom level the game has always had, doesn't define the game itself.

Please consider increasing the zoom level, even if it is just 20-30%.

Please don't cater for the hardcore 1% of players,.when you yourselves said that the large majority of players play casual skirmish ai games the previous games.

There's a woeful lack of innovation for a game thats like 8 years newer than it's predecessor and I hope any further announcements will correct this with gameplay/gfx improvements expected from a brand new title with this age gap between the last.

I understand the campaign map is one of these things, but ultimately it will be multiplayer and skirmish that will keep the game alive for years to come and without providing a meaningful upgrade from company of heroes 2, isn't going to cut it. nobody wants to play the same game again.

Relic has been my absolute favourite RTS developer and one of my all time favourite overall.

Please give us that same magic you once did with games like homeworld, dawn of war and the original company of heroes, innovation.

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 10:49:50 PM

Really looking forward to this, just hope the battlegroups will come in limited amount per nation like in coh1, thus they'll be more managable from developer standpoint, resulting in player having less diverse but more balanced and competitive options in case of addition of new nations, instead of a bunch of commanders collecting dust falling out of meta

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 10:58:00 PM

How is the modding scene looking for coh3? im guessing we will have the same type as coh2. But what was really lacking for modding in that was to import 3dmodels etc, will we see that in coh3?

3 years ago
Jul 23, 2021, 11:40:19 PM

Is there only one axis faction at release? I really hope for a second one until release - either Italy or Afrika Korps (Mixture of german and italian units).

Otherwise great overview! Really looking forward to this game :)

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 12:21:07 AM

Great post, looking great

Relic.  This structure looks excellent.  10/10 

https://medias.community.companyofheroes.com/forums/johnt-re/1627061720857.jpeg

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 12:39:41 AM

Ok so after a few run-throughs I am impressed and you have already sold it to me. I have some more observations which I hope assist in the direction this game is going.

1) - Colour/brightness/artwork. I was initially concerned (like a few others) of the style of artwork. It just didn't look right. Not that I would know how Italy looked during the war. After a few run throughs it eventually hit me as to what felt wrong. It is too sunny. Yes Italy is a sunny place of course but when you have military machines running around, artillery sending up plumes of smoke and debris, aircraft leaving trails of smoke, the atmosphere becomes a little less clear. Ultimately it is NOT the style of the background artwork that was bothering me, it was the lack of smoke and cloud cover etc. Every battle looked like a perfect summers day at about 12pm.  

2) - Factions. Yes this is PRE-ALPHA totally understood and I have not developed this idea from playing the game but rather what I am hearing on the forums. Factions (countries or different nationalities within an army) appear to be a burning issue. Unlike CohH1/2 where there were different British accents for different battalion types (Australians for gliders, Canadians for arty etc.) People seem to be yearning for fully playable armies for some of the 'minor' (i don't want to offend) players in the war. A full Order of Battle (OB) for the Italians, French, Japanese, Australians, Canadians, Rumanians, Finnish etc. etc. Not just talking a different decals for the models but realistic OB's for those countries including the variants of vehicles they used. Maybe future DLC but a bit better than the CohH2 DLC packs which were mainly re-badged models and slightly different tactical choices.

3) - MODs. No doubt people will want to MOD this game from day 1. It seems to be a modern day phenomenon for games and certainly extends the life (and therefore profitability) of a game.

4) Options for graphics, gameplay etc. People like options to turn on or off. You can never have too many options. A simple option to turn on/of the strategic side of the campaign can make a huge difference to the game. The more variables you can put into the game, the greater the longevity.

5) No pay to win elements. I don't see anything like that cropping in to your pre-alpha version but just to be clear.

6) I know it is not optimised for 3840 x 1080 but it looks awesome on the wide screen. You may actually even get people going out to buy widescreens just to play this game at it's full potential (maybe a package deal with a widescreen manufacturer eh? $$$)

7) Your QA's are a valuable resource. USE THEM! (I think you get my drift).

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 6:38:11 AM

This plan/overview has got me very excited for the final game (the Battlegroups/Commanders element in particular). Good stuff!

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 6:40:15 AM
Munte wrote:

The COH3 looks promising so far. I still suggest an option to see units stats by selecting the unit (just like in StarCraft, WarCraft 3, Age of Empires and so on) and also, maybe, an in-game page with all the stats of the units just like in StarCraft 2 (literally all of the stats).

Here is an example of that page from StarCraft 2 (btw, you can access this in the main menu of the game as well, not just while being in a match)

Maybe you could add it here in the helping menu.

This is a great idea.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 10:08:51 AM

I'm really disappointed to see CoH1 style doctrines back. I feel that they end up creating a more stale meta in that one certain branch will always be better than another. I always found them more restricting and boring than CoH2 commanders.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2021, 10:18:29 AM

The core difference why I and my friend stuck with COH1 and didn't switch to COH2 is due to the gameplay. Not the mechanics, they are great in COH2, but the sluggishness of the overall core gameplay. To metaphorize it- COH1 plays like swimming in the water, while COH2 feels like swimming in oil. The units take ages to get moving and then they look goofy, as is walking on a different planet. And this sluggishness somehow made me feel slowed down too. If you would bring the core gameplay of COH1 and add in the improved mechanics from COH2 (vision, leaping over obstacles, reverse drive) you would have the perfect mix and I hope that's sort of your goal in this game.

?

Click here to login

Comment