Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Company of Heroes 3 - Narrative Overview

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jul 27, 2021, 8:04:23 PM

Company of Heroes 3 - Narrative Overview

Hi, I'm Philip Harris, Narrative Lead on Company of Heroes 3, and I'm here with a first look at where we're heading with our single player narrative.

COH3 Narrative Design consists of breathing life and story into both the Single Player experience as well as the Multiplayer.

Company of heroes has always been about telling human stories during inhumane times. Representing the diverse stories of the Mediterranean Theatre of World War 2 is at the heart of our narrative pillars.

We recognize our responsibility as storytellers, so we have been working with WW2 scholars and cultural sensitivity experts throughout development. Company of Heroes always intends to use history as a backdrop, to provide context to tell human stories of conflict, sacrifice and courage. We are constantly exploring ways we can do that better for our players. 

Storytelling in video games is a powerful tool; by having players experience both heroic and horrific moments in history, we want to give greater context and tell a broader story. Our main priority is not to provide a history lesson but to spark curiosity, and to tell these stories in a way that is authentic and respectful.

We’re looking forward to your questions and feedback on Company of Heroes 3’s narrative. 

Single Player Campaign Premise

A freshly promoted Field Commander, you have been sent in to lead the Allies “stab at the soft underbelly of Europe”. The invasion of Italy is going to be a relatively easy but invaluable contribution to the war effort. Or so you have been told.

Your campaign to invade Italy kicks off with a challenging RTS battle, but it gives you a satisfying victory, a strong sense of control. FDR and Churchill were not lying to you. You feel confident about moving forward. But something isn’t quite right. The respective commanders of the British and US forces are treating each other like foes as they compete to be the first to reach Messina.

The Race to Messina has not only inflamed rivalries between the US and the British, but it has also allowed a huge number of enemy forces to flee to the mainland. In the meantime, Italy has betrayed the Axis and capitulated to the Allies. So now the German forces are busy causing havoc in southern Italy like gremlins fed after midnight.

The invasion is going to hell. Your dreams of cakewalking straight to victory are faltering.  

Leading a joint forces invasion is clearly going to be more than just having more power at your command. You will have to learn to coordinate US and British forces - and minimize rivalry - if you want to get Italy under Allied control. But amid all this chaos, a new commander offers an unconventional source of hope - an alliance with the local resistance.

Can you prove your mettle in this “underdog” theatre and show the Axis the true power of a united force?

We’ll be following up with another post on Storytelling Features in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 27, 2021, 8:28:43 PM

Will there be other storylines for other factions? for example for the Germanic faction? Or, let's say, for new factions like Japan or the USSR

3 years ago
Jul 27, 2021, 9:58:21 PM

Will there be an option for players who want to go for a full historical campaign? I'm not against having the campaign like Ardennes assault, but will there be an option for players who want to play the campaign, but full linear historical just like in CoH1 and CoH2? 

3 years ago
Jul 27, 2021, 10:26:58 PM
Philip_RE wrote:

We recognize our responsibility as storytellers, so we have been working with WW2 scholars and cultural sensitivity experts throughout development.

Yeah, Ill believe it when I see it.

CoH2's campaign was 100% "myths made real" with barely a scrap of authenticity.

3 years ago
Jul 27, 2021, 10:52:01 PM
Philip_RE wrote:
breathing life and story into ... Multiplayer.

How do you intend to achieve that, given how multiplayer had traditionally little to do with any kind of narrative. Through the unit voiceovers? Soldiers sharing war stories in case a unit was left to its own devices for a while?

3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 12:11:01 AM

Hi Philip, Thank you for sharing the direction you're headed with the narrative. I'm intrigued and actually always enjoyed history lessons so you've sparked my curiosity.  You had me at "So now the German forces are busy causing havoc in southern Italy like gremlins fed after midnight." I hope the premise for the story arc is not rooted on the rivalry between British and us forces. Although it may be historically accurate and should be reflected in the narrative, if that is the constant "challenge" throughout the invasion I feel like it could potentially dull the real magnitude of the real conflict between the Allies and Axis. 

Harris - I think they can do it through multi-player by making the maps you play, the art style and decor of the troops and weapons appear authentic to the time and locale, not a direct story per se but it does breath life as you play and create your own MP stories/memories.

3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 2:45:53 AM

I expected "biggest CoH launch ever" to have an axis campaign mode too. Or at least a story mode like the old games.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 8:05:27 AM

I am looking forward to hearing more, there is obviously more to come because the trailer included Tobruk which was long before the Italian campaign. I like that things are starting off with the invasion of sicily, a great place to get the campaign map and skirmish battles going. There is a ton of potential in this new campaign map and the replayability that it can bring to game is great.

I think I will wait a bit longer to get more information before i really lean into making suggestions and giving feedback. There is so far are too many questions bouncing around in my head.

3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 3:55:09 PM

Well said Banditks. I think it's clear there's much more to be revealed in that Africa generally does not fit into the narrative frame presented. Really hoping that there is another sandbox campaign set there in the earlier war, from the Axis perspective (ideally with Italians!). It also seems a shame to invest so heavily in a total war style campaign map, but lock you to a single faction. The tools are there to allow a ton of replayability from both Allied and Axis perspectives. I think there's much more to come and we will have to be patient.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 4:52:56 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. We really appreciate it.

Govard wrote:

Will there be other storylines for other factions? for example for the Germanic faction? Or, let's say, for new factions like Japan or the USSR

At the moment we're concentrating on Italy and the Allies but as we get closer to launch we'll be talking more about what we have in store from a narrative perspective.

Munte wrote:

Will there be an option for players who want to go for a full historical campaign? I'm not against having the campaign like Ardennes assault, but will there be an option for players who want to play the campaign, but full linear historical just like in CoH1 and CoH2? 

We're focused on delivering a great turn based campaign mode but that's an interesting suggestion. Thanks.

Harris wrote:
Philip_RE wrote:

How do you intend to achieve that, given how multiplayer had traditionally little to do with any kind of narrative. Through the unit voiceovers? Soldiers sharing war stories in case a unit was left to its own devices for a while?

There will be another post with details on how we're bringing narrative into the game, but yes, audio is one of the ways we're bringing story into both single player and multiplayer RTS missions and matches.

Cwar49ers wrote:

Hi Philip, Thank you for sharing the direction you're headed with the narrative. I'm intrigued and actually always enjoyed history lessons so you've sparked my curiosity.  You had me at "So now the German forces are busy causing havoc in southern Italy like gremlins fed after midnight." I hope the premise for the story arc is not rooted on the rivalry between British and us forces. Although it may be historically accurate and should be reflected in the narrative, if that is the constant "challenge" throughout the invasion I feel like it could potentially dull the real magnitude of the real conflict between the Allies and Axis. 

Thanks for the feedback, that's very useful and I'm glad we've sparked your interest. As far as the rivalry goes, overcoming that conflict is a key theme, but it's not the only one and the Axis forces and the threat they pose is definitely a big part of the story.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 6:38:04 PM

Since balancing the US and UK forces seems to be a primary focus, will there be dilemmas in the campaign, where you increase reputation with the UKF for example, but decrease reputation with the USF? Currently the campaign map in the pre-alpha doesn't seem to have much of a rivalry between the factions, outside of excerpts from the officers, and it'd be nice to have options to make the campaign more replayable. 

I am very excited to see how this campaign map pans out, as it's always been a dream of mine to see a Total-war-like game for WW2. That said, I did enjoy the campaigns of COH1 as well, and it seems that the fanbase feels similarly, so maybe having more traditional campaign offerings at some point may be a good idea to not split the fanbase. It's kinda like how Zelda Breath of the Wild was universally loved, but a sizeable chunk of the fanbase felt like it drifted too much from the established formula for their liking.

3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 7:06:28 PM
Philip_RE wrote:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. We really appreciate it.

Govard wrote:

At the moment we're concentrating on Italy and the Allies but as we get closer to launch we'll be talking more about what we have in store from a narrative perspective.

Munte wrote:

We're focused on delivering a great turn based campaign mode but that's an interesting suggestion. Thanks.

Harris wrote:
Philip_RE wrote:

There will be another post with details on how we're bringing narrative into the game, but yes, audio is one of the ways we're bringing story into both single player and multiplayer RTS missions and matches.

Cwar49ers wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, that's very useful and I'm glad we've sparked your interest. As far as the rivalry goes, overcoming that conflict is a key theme, but it's not the only one and the Axis forces and the threat they pose is definitely a big part of the story.

@Philip_RE

Thank you for the answer as well. My idea with the linear historical accurate campaign would be something like this: 

Not removing this campaign, but instead adding an option (idk, choosing in the when the player starts the campaign) that actually just teleports the divisions on each town in historical order (so it would just transform the campaign in a linear one just like in CoH1).

This way you don't remove the new idea because it is a good one as well, but you also add the option for the players who feel like playing a linear campaign just like in the original game, and as you did mention in another post, you would like to add in CoH3 what made the original game one of the best rated RTS games.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 7:54:39 PM

@Philip_RE Thanks for the Narrative Overview! I really enjoy the latest dev posts! Please keep them coming :)

3 years ago
Jul 28, 2021, 11:41:23 PM
AstonMonty wrote:

Since balancing the US and UK forces seems to be a primary focus, will there be dilemmas in the campaign, where you increase reputation with the UKF for example, but decrease reputation with the USF? Currently the campaign map in the pre-alpha doesn't seem to have much of a rivalry between the factions, outside of excerpts from the officers, and it'd be nice to have options to make the campaign more replayable. 

Yes, dilemmas are definitely something we're aiming to include. We want player decisions to have meaning and consequences from a narrative perspective as well as gameplay. As you said, it's a good way to add replayability and it's one of the key ways we're looking to do make multiple play-throughs varied and interesting.

3 years ago
Jul 29, 2021, 5:36:58 AM

Hello Everyone, I have some ideas but not sure if this is in Philp RE wheel house for narrative design. I think this question is more for art dept is that Leanne? I know Sacha is Maps/Philip is Narrative, John is the heavy hitter enforcer but this question I have impacts narrative so I'm going to ask. I read somewhere already a constructive feedback comment that the 3D character generals in the map that represent US/British/Partisan leaders in the campaign were not the way to go. The post was actually a bit more harsh if i recall but it was negative feedback on the caricature design. I must concur that after playing it again today after that person mentioned it in the thread I couldn't help but notice it was a bit "dated"? It really didn't bother me my first playthrough but now I'm critiquing the interface a bit more even if I up'd my graphics I don't know if it's the direction they should stick with for the art design in campaign mode. Just to be clear, I'm also not a fan of the C&C real life actors cutscenes either, it always gave a soft core b rated indie movie vibe that bald guy for Nod cut scenes with the poor acting always cheapened my experience but the gameplay was great so I could stomach the awful real video acting aspect. So don't worry Relic I'm not asking for you to go get the Rock to play General Taube. I remember on Turbo Graphics 16 the Sherlock Holmes game had like real video in the game, that was the first time I saw video footage implemented in a game and it like floored me when i saw acting in a video game, this was in the 80's so i'm sure now it looks awful. I think in COH2 they just did voiceovers there was no animation character and that actually may be better for pre RTS map breakdowns. Now if you actually create the Leaders as real characters in the RTS portion of the games that you control them as a unit, and they talked during the story line, then maybe that would be an option. I don't really have a solution or alternate idea that would work, I'd have to go play Coh and coh 2 again to see how they implemented characters. From Felipe's post for russian campaign in coh 2 I think it was more videos of clips of video game characters playing out the scenes which allowed them to build the environment like a movie and we were a viewer. The way they have it now is like they are talking to us (the gamer) directly as the new general but instead of a mini-window maybe have them behind a map table that we can zoom out of and see the map room in a bunker or ship or something? I'm think aloud now but maybe improving that art design could really improve the narrative at the same time. In a previous post I spoke of this.........

"Cwar49ers wrote:

So for starters I personally don't like the still shot written paragraph with drawing circled photos for the pre-RTS match bio. I really appreciated the 3D art design table of coh 1 and coh 2, especially coh 2 it was like 3D zooming in with a ww2 guys voice over. "Listen up gents Gerry's been pounding our boys....." you get my point. The still screen shot is a hopefully just pre alpha to avoid giving storyline away. I hope. Gone are the days of worrying about fitting everything onto cd roms right, let's not get lazy on the map breakdowns. There is always something about Rainbox Six (the original) that i loved about preplanning my entry/attack into the hostage room. I like that table top general with icons to move around. The intro to the game showed a series of moves the player did before we got to the pre alpha in naples. I'd be interested in seeing what that layout and UI looked like, what options were available and it mentions paradrop behind enemy lines which to me seems like it's an open sandbox to an extent and not just choose route a, b, or c. I really like that idea of creating our own attack plan on italy. Ambitious and probably tough to pull off but i like the concept as probably would others"

P.S. - Filipe REP you are next level with your Italian history, I picture you as Back to the Future Doc with the history and photos you come up with, like you got a PhD in WW2 lore. I'm impressed man, I read most of your posts, except the one of the pictures on peoples stomach that was above my head. 
P.S.S. - Harris closed his thread about second class players, i read through it and was shocked on how much I must have missed out in coh 2 not playing MP too much as I stuck to expert AI modes with friends. (My next thread will be expectations on AI levels easy/medium/hard/expert) for COH3. I never sensed a level of hostility described or toxic behavior beyond the typical kid rant or sore loser. I never heard the term "sweaty elitist tower-wizards" either and I don't want to start up another thread about it but it did make me laugh that there were terms like that and they were considered insults. I must be that old guy that thinks it's words of flattery when it's not. That 4x4 1x1 thread though did make me want to connect in COH2 and play against the likes of Harris/Polly/Felipe/BanditKS. I wouldn't get mad at the opponent when I lost, I'd blame myself the only frustrating part in Skirmish games was when players would be AFK or they would try to dictate your play by complaining or telling you what you should be doing constantly. Those were the issues that were in AI skirmish world but 90% of players were fine and ranged in all skill level and if played with friends having a noob or two was okay made it more challenging but fun still.

3 years ago
Jul 29, 2021, 7:45:03 AM

If the company is step-by-step, I will not even buy it, because this is no longer a strategy, but complete garbage.

3 years ago
Jul 29, 2021, 6:20:44 PM

Me esta gustando mucho la linea narrativa, con solo pensar en que puedan a llegar a haber diferentes campañas cada una con su historia me parece increíble, algo que estaría bueno seria el hecho de que trabajaran mas la narrativa de los enemigos, es decir por ejemplo un general enemigo o de los mismos partisanos.

En primer aspecto me esta gustando demasiado el trabajo innovador que le metieron a la saga, del CoH al CoH2 se nota mucho la diferencia, si siguen trabajando asi el CoH3 va a ser espectacular, soy creyente que un juego con buena narrativa puede ser hasta adictivo de jugar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really liking the narrative line, just thinking that there could be different campaigns, each one with its own story seems incredible, something that would be good would be the fact that they would work more on the narrative of the enemies, for example an enemy general or the partisans themselves.

In the first aspect I am liking too much the innovative work that they put to the saga, from CoH to CoH2 the difference is very noticeable, if they continue working like this CoH3 is going to be spectacular, I believe that a game with good narrative can be even addictive to play.

3 years ago
Jul 30, 2021, 4:49:26 PM
FilipeREP wrote:

Hi @Philip_RE,

This is quite interesting. I believe we should also get German and Italian campaigns, with mention of the RSI Italian troops. I literally just wrote a thread about campaign ideas, even reviewing briefly the two campaigns in COH2. Since Italy had so many diverse units, I hope we get to see French and Polish characters, and a story about the Brazilian Expeditionary Force.

Thanks for the suggestions @FilipeREP and I'll be sure to check out that thread. Obviously, we can't fit everything in at once but there's potential for future content that focuses on different forces and we're always looking for ways to bring different perspectives into the narrative so please, keep these ideas coming. 

Phil

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Jul 30, 2021, 5:07:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the presentation and design of the generals, @Cwar49ers. There will be a lot more story in the full game and how we present that is a hot topic at the moment so your comments are very useful. I can confirm, though, that The Rock will not be appearing in the game :)

?

Click here to login

Comment