Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Company of Heroes 3 - Art Vision - Life at War and Cinematic Realism

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 10, 2021, 7:09:29 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Tristan and I'm the Art Director on Company of Heroes 3. This document was originally posted to the closed CoH-Dev community 3 years ago. While the Art team’s pillars and goals have remained consistent, solutions and associated reference images in this post have evolved from concept to in-game examples.  

There are three pillars that help drive the art vision on Company of Heroes 3. The first Pillar, “Life at War”,  is the primary artistic inspiration. It represents the contrast of Pretty and Gritty and is a common thread throughout the game. In this pillar our aim is to capture the beauty of the Mediterranean and its cultures, making the destruction of it all more impactful.  

“Create life and attachment to contrast loss and destruction” 

The second pillar, “Cinematic Realism” is the style and the how of COH art which includes: 

• WW2 Film influence 
  • Cultural Texture 
  • Essence Engine 
  • Gameplay Clarity

The third pillar "Living Battlefield” is the canvas and the what of COH3 art which includes: 

• Units 
  • Animation 
  • Environments 
  • FX 
  • Destruction

CINEMATIC REALISM - WW2 FILM INFLUENCE 

The Company of Heroes franchise has always been influenced by WW2 film, CoH1 with Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, and CoH2 with movies like Enemy at the Gates. CoH3 is influenced by films such as Fury for its authenticity, Inglorious Basterds for its attitude and the influence of the Devils Brigade and Dunkirk for their human storylines, and the many documentaries surfacing with newly found or released color 16mm footage.  

“ Company of Heroes will capture the essence of movies like Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan…” - COH 1 

“Influenced by WW2 film and documentaries like Fury, Dunkirk, Inglorious Bastards, and Thunderbolt…” - CoH 3 

"Cinematic action in the Mediterranean" – Company of Heroes 3 game Pillar

Apart from the cinematic experience in Company of Heroes 3 this influence is often reflected in key art, concept, presentation, and cinematics. 

CINEMATIC REALISM - CULTURAL TEXTURE 

Cultural texture is a term we use to define the audio-visual cues that describe a culture and its surroundings. This is the research portion of our process of defining the cultures, flora, fauna, and geology of the Mediterranean. Italian cultures and their locations evolved over hundreds of years producing one of the most colorful and accomplished people and places in the world. 

We hope to present these cultural influences through our armies, battlegroups, civilians, animals and environments. We will feature both sides of the Italian war effort along with narratives that explore the amazing stories of the time. Maps feature organic town layouts with a variety of artistic influences, build as you grow architecture, and geological features like verticality that tie into gameplay. 

We explored many facets of cultural textures through concept and continued research. Detailed concepts like these are invaluable for iterating on ideas while defining them for production. They have also been a valuable tool in the Coh-development program, in which we’ve received good constructive feedback and catches along the way. We'll be releasing much of our individual concept art here over time, These assembled images are meant to give a broad overview of our process.

(Note: For a closer view of the concept images below, right-click and open the image in a new browser tab.)

CINEMATIC REALISM - ESSENCE ENGINE 5 

Essence engine 5 is the latest iteration of Relics powerful engine, some of the new features include; 

• PBR (physically based rendering) improved both our asset and scene rendering to feel more realistic than before at 4K resolution 
  • Unit “Paperdoll” (customizing) asset system with a fully integrated substance texturing pipeline 
  • Higher poly and object limits than previous versions resulting in detailed worlds, destruction, and units  
  • A new, fully 3D destruction system “Destruction 2.0” 
  • Integrated LOD system with Simplygon giving us detailed vistas and out of bounds areas 
  • Multi-layered dynamic shaders for real-time damage and weathering

Some of our shader and rendering features are still in development and not yet featured in many of the screenshots and videos. We will be posting updates as these features are implemented. 

CINEMATIC REALISM - GAMEPLAY CLARITY 

This area can be a challenge for more realistic RTS games like Company of Heroes, a game that also strives for authenticity which typically has units blending into the environment. Our goal is to create a Visual hierarchy of the individual elements by changing their form, detail, tone, saturation, and opacity to provide a clearer picture of the action. 

Frequency of detail and Contrast are used to highlight units and pathing. Our units are designed with light and dark elements to stand out on a variety of terrain. More noise signifies harder to navigate concealed areas while less noise and contrast provides a clear path but negative cover in many cases. 

Silhouette and Animation can highlight unit types, objectives, and their current states through form and posing 

Color grading is used to highlight the action and silhouettes by controlling contrast and saturation  

Features like color grading and team color are still work in progress as tools are still in development. Different atmospheric situations require specific adjustments while tuning and polish continue through development. We are also considering exposing some grading features in our settings like color filters.  

Stay tuned for a follow-up post from the Art team where we’ll be discussing how we capture the Living Battlefield!

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 10, 2021, 8:19:42 PM

Amazing post!
That first Image of the Life at War is exactly what I was expecting from CoH3!
But that is where the Official KeyArt drops the hotpot, it has a very stylized take compared to the above!
It 's really opening an unfortunate mis-interpretation of your goals! ;)

Thanks a thousandfold for sharing this! As an art director myself I'm extremely excited by those boards & to see how the weathering & atmospheric shading will influence the feel of the game as the battle rages on!

One question is, will we have huge clouds of smoke from burning fire or bombardments clouding the sunlight as is expressed in the Life at War poster? Having impactful particle simulations is always fascinating, World in Conflict pioneered on this but was never followed up by any engine or game.... And that was so long ago! x)

Cheers!

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 10, 2021, 9:03:02 PM

Great info @Tristan_RE! Nice to see the concept art and the design principals you've established.

I especially like Life at War: “Create life and attachment to contrast loss and direction”. Looking forward to seeing how you blend all this together and walk the line between enhanced stylized elements and gritty realism.

Best of luck to you and the team :-)

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 10, 2021, 10:20:17 PM

This is an amazing insight in development of the game. It gives a great picture of what game development in a AAA studio is like, especially for an artist, and it's all amazing! Congratulations on having the project come this far and I hope to see more! I can't get over how awesome this is!

3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 12:37:26 AM
FilipeREP wrote:

This is really incredible, @Tristan_RE. I see a lot of photos of the French troops and an Osprey reference fro the British uniforms (hell, I even spotted Simone Segouin). The partisans look amazing and authentic. The architecture and the sky really convey the idea of a peaceful place suddenly disturbed by war.

I would like to see examples of propaganda posters, especially those by fascist Italy.

Thanks for the feedback @FilipeREP . We are planning on adding fascist propaganda, We are also adding stenciled/painted graffiti of "IL DUCE/DUX" and "Vincere!" seen frequently on walls and monuments 

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 4:12:31 AM

Hi Tristan,

Thank you for this in depth behind the curtains preview of your Art vision, and more importantly congrats on having a really cool job and a cool name. I feel like I'm typing to Brad Pitts character in A River Runs Through it. And with all that being said, I don't envy your position I know there is a lot riding on this game but from the looks of it you have a strong team with strong leadership, usually the results work themselves out in the end with that combo. The DevTeam has a deep roster I can see we've met Leanne/John/Sacha/Phillip now Tristan. It's like the coaches in the NBA/NFL that all have to speak with the media in the pre-season or build up to the game, everyone gets their turn! Except I don't feel like DevCoh responses are canned "one day at a time" or the "we're getting better each & every day"  you guys are providing us fans with actual real insight and input into building Coh 3 not just canned fodder, so thank you for showing us some of your work. Considering the most viewed and responded to thread in all of these forums is Leanne's Art thread, I'm sure you're already aware of your impact/influence on the community. I also know there is some vulnerability in sharing so early on but I think the payoff will be well worth the investment as most of us are rooting for your success. As most readers can tell from any of my prior posts I always sandwich my criticism starting with nice, hit em with the constructive feedback, then end on a positive so now you know how I roll let's get to it.

First off let me say this, I like beer and wine, but as far as wine, if it tastes good that's all I care about, the prestige or the $$$ isn't what draws me, I've had expensive wine that wasn't that good and cheap wine that was great and vice versa but most of the time you get what you pay for, keyword "most" so my point here is I'm not an artist or some artistic snob who is going to be critiquing your color palette's, I'm a simple man, if it looks good and runs smooth, gameplay trumps art for me every time, and that's usually good enough for me. I mean there were sections under Cultural texture and Cinematic Realism that made me think of you as Frank the Tank in Old School. What just happened? Visual hierarchy, higher poly, I was just nodding like oh hell yes I don't know what any of this means but I like it.

As a gamer, as far as Art is concerned in my games, it's important to take me back in time and visually place me in another world but I'm not technical in art design so I'm pretty easy to please and I bet I'm not alone on that front. The Life at War really pops and grabs peoples attention so I bet you'll get lot's of positive feedback on that first pillar the contrast not just in visually but the duality concept itself. So that's my disclaimer to you that what I can offer to you as an Art Director you can take with a grain of salt as I'm not an artist but I what I can offer is I am a big Coh fan. I go back to the originals as you can see in the photo below, walking into the PC store looking at that original game box with art design opening the flap showing the battle inside, I remember it vividly and this is all to say I understand the value of having a strong art influence in a game and it's marketing materials.

As far as covers go, FelipeRE already posted on this Original Cover Art, he's my go to artist/historian blogger on here. I think every COH cover ever released has shown the troops displaying the factions within and really nothing else. However, in Coh 3's cover it's showing much more than just the troops and to be honest, although it seems cool to show pyramids, colosseum and water in the background there is just a lot going on and it's really bright. I'm a firm believer in sometimes(not all the time) less is more. And trust me we've had this debate in the threads, the Mediterranean is colorful and sunny, I get it, but please consider Mr. Sleaze's input, I think it's valid once you look past the low blow humor critique. MrSleaze Delivers

So as far as your strategy, you have 3 pillars, one becomes too weak and the titan collapses. I like the strategy in specializing the art into teams/pillars. I think the key will not be how strong each individual pillar (life@war/cinematic realism/Living battlefield) become but rather how all three merge together, that connectivity bonds/strength that ties each pillar together or lack thereof will be essential. Specifically, you can have great FX and environments but if it doesn't feel like Italy in early 1943 but just some random village then it loses some of it's overall art impact according to your vision. I think FelipeRE idea of proaganda posters as other imagery on buildings you mentioned really brings those pillars together, they may be subtle touches of an Italian flag or sound of someone shouting in Italian in the distance, but the impact is huge in bringing us back in time. These concept images will keep me busy for a while so thank you for sharing.

My final suggestion is for you to take inspiration from coh 1 and 2 as well, there were maps where I did feel like I was in Italy already, for example Arnhem Checkpoint and Lorch Assault, why did those make me think of Italy, was it just the vineyards, perhaps, but the town square cobblestone street and fountain in the middle town square with the church, the rolling hills with colorful trees, the red tile rooftops, the old castle and windy paths, there is so much that go into each map, but I think you have some good foundational pieces to build off already in your disposal to expand upon and build off of.

As far as cinematic realism now you're in my world, now I got some passion for movies and not just the recent ones, I am an old spirit and in my early 40's so I'm an old gamer as well but I was humbled to have to look up Thunderbolt. You listed all the recent Hollywood ones and I was yeah yeah I like it but where are the classics and the only one I didn't recognize was of course a classic. I'll have to watch it this weekend. Where were you on my thread here Best Source Material for Coh 3? Thanks for listing those specific movie references, I'll have to watch some of those again. Keep up the great work, you knock this one out the park Tristan, this could be your legacy. Years into the future I can hear it now........"Oh hey you were the Art Director for Coh 3 the best RTS ever made???"...set for life!!

- Art of War

3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 5:11:47 PM
Haganaz wrote:

Amazing post!
That first Image of the Life at War is exactly what I was expecting from CoH3!
But that is where the Official KeyArt drops the hotpot, it has a very stylized take compared to the above!
It 's really opening an unfortunate mis-interpretation of your goals! ;)

Thanks a thousandfold for sharing this! As an art director myself I'm extremely excited by those boards & to see how the weathering & atmospheric shading will influence the feel of the game as the battle rages on!

One question is, will we have huge clouds of smoke from burning fire or bombardments clouding the sunlight as is expressed in the Life at War poster? Having impactful particle simulations is always fascinating, World in Conflict pioneered on this but was never followed up by any engine or game.... And that was so long ago! x)

Cheers!

Hi @Haganaz Thanks for the feedback! The intent behind the second key art image was to capture the cinematic quality of our direction through a movie poster treatment. Maybe this was too much of a stretch or it isn't communicated well enough in the piece itself? I feel like the piece embodies our ww2 film influence and the cinematic qualities that we are aiming to capture but we are always interested to hear other interpretations and opinions. Our key art process was communicated to the closed community with feedback, We could create an updated post in this forum, it seems like there is some interest.

We currently support light transmittance and shadow/light casting through our current cloud system and volumetric smoke effects, Capturing this with large epic cloud formations is on our roadmap. We'll post updates as these things develop!

Cheers,
-Tristan

3 years ago
Aug 11, 2021, 8:40:29 PM

I haven't been this excited for a game since Company of Heroes 1, 15 years ago. Excited for Africa maps and (hopefully) French troops.

The art philosophy looks impeccable!

3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 5:02:10 AM

It's amazing to hear back from you Tristan! ;)
I'm really enthralled by the whole production & communication you have put in place at here! After all CoH has proven to be my all time favorite RTS. I just can't stop the addiction x)

It seems indeed to be a lot of noise around the visual!

I would say one thing that concerns both this key art & the in-game rendering, the image is so bright & saturated it is hard to look at. The battlefield & units were so bright the game lost it's clarity, I only saw the subtle textures & volumes by zooming in at max. I feel the same with this poster, which is lacking the subtlety of the Life at War contrast. The artistic take is obviously very strong but imo is indeed going a little too far ;)

I should precise, I'm playing on a calibrated Color Grading 4K scope monitor of 32" with a low-contrast gamma curve, HDR was turned off ofc.
But still the image was quite aggressive, and distracting me from the game.
Obviously having this "color filter" option in game & refining the engine will be deciding factors in how subtle it looks, it's great you've went forward with these options ;)

What I always keep in mind, is thinking the image like celluloid. Not because it's film, but because it has this natural quality of feeling rich & saturated without ever being artificial.
It's not a quality we see often in recent years but you mentioned Fury & Dunkirk, both nailed it quiet perfectly, especially Fury. CoH always entertained this celluloid quality, be it bleach bypass or low-exposure brownification x)

There is excellent photos proving this point which is only a color grading issue. I love the poster style, but this composition is quiet hard to read because of that saturation & global lightwrap. It might be stupid, but the characters above are less striking than a stylized composition embracing silhouette, a more contrasted & shaded lighting like the indiana jones poster. I'm sorry, cldn't resist, it's just the best poster in this style to me, sun blazing in the middle!

Thanks a lot for your time! And I hope you're having fun with all that feedback jazz! Cheers :)

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 12, 2021, 5:48:00 PM
coh-11yearsfans wrote:

Great!Please open the purchase link now and take my money.

Me and my friends actually rly appreciated the fact that Relic did open the pre-alpha just for feedback, but didn't open the pre-orders. this thing just shows that Relic just wanted feedback from players 1st and I suppose they will open the pre-orders later after they make the game in a decent state.

3 years ago
Aug 15, 2021, 3:26:55 AM

Looks awesome, you should be giving advises to age IV art director.

The only think I don't like is the game cover/poster. it lt feels a little bit cartoon may be to bright but game looks awesome, at lest COH3 will have proper graphics but you guys ruined my age IV :(

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 20, 2021, 11:12:33 AM
G0ll0 wrote:

Looks awesome, you should be giving advises to age IV art director.

The only think I don't like is the game cover/poster. it lt feels a little bit cartoon may be to bright but game looks awesome, at lest COH3 will have proper graphics but you guys ruined my age IV :(

Eh, I think Age of Empires 4 looks fine. I like my stylized art styles, though if I had any real criticisms of AOE4, it's that *everything* looks too bright. There's not enough -->contrast<-- to make the eye popping units pop out more and stand out. Basically, I think the units in AOE4 are great as they are, bright and colorful. But if the world looks bright and colorful too, it doesn't help the units stand out.

Games like old school Command and Conquer and early Dawn of War 3 (before the fans whined and complained it looked too cartoony and succeeded in pressuring Relic to making it look boring and dull :/ ) did a great job of having units contrast and pop out from the backgrounds.

Again, I think AOE4 looks fine, and i'm happy we're getting more visually interesting games nowadays instead of everything trying to be rEaLiStiC and GriTtY. Just my two cents on how 'cartoony' visuals work better when there's contrast.

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Aug 25, 2021, 7:24:56 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Davide and I am from Licata, the first city occupied by the Americans on 10 July 1943 in the Husky operation. I post some photos that could help you, I am a 3d environment design and I know how important it is to have references

?

Click here to login

Comment