Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

CoH-Development - September 2021 Development Diary

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Sep 24, 2021, 5:26:06 PM

CoH-Development - September 2021 Development Diary

Find out how we've worked with our players since day one of Company of Heroes 3, why it's so important, and what the road ahead looks like.

3 years ago
Sep 24, 2021, 11:43:46 PM

This was a great tribute to the community and I really liked putting a face to many of the community names. Greyshot was in it and is all grown up! I mentioned you in one of my threads thinking you left the COH universe like due to life or some new RTS game but glad to see he was part of the input team. Will Wards story also really inspired me. I am no map designer or as technically skilled with coding/developer skills but the video did make me ask myself.......What skills do I have that can contribute to Relic? I want in on this, selfishly thinking like wow they are living the dream. That's not dismissing the hours upon hours of hard work or stress they go through as any job does. It did make me stop and think.......How can I merge a passion into a day job, it's possible, these guys/gals are proof! Okay I won't quit my day job but the video was very inspiring that these are real people that love the same game even more than I do and they are committed to contribute and build off a great foundation. This is all to say........ A_E I am coming for you, I'm going to practice my witty jokes and befriend Stormless as the latest Coh 3 community caster for a US presence!

I recently read this article in my news feed PC Gamer and I know Rich was just writing a story in passing but I will say this as a fan of the game with no skin in the game or loyalty to Relic besides a fan of the company, just a 3rd party 100% pure gamer.

"If I was a faction man, though, I'd be sending Relic an invoice." - Stormless was referenced as the faction man. lol

I'll say this, to hopefully reassure Relic that not all people contributing are looking to exploit or take advantage of this approach to gaming in 2021. (Okay no matter what I say still get your legal department passing out nda's and your GC covering your six) but here is my take as a 3rd party observer.

Relic is not asking for a service and then taking someones good ideas and profiting off of it. Relic is asking for voluntary player engagement and feedback, now if said player chooses to pull an entire detailed pdf(stormless) and an entire faction is born with detailed comps then that was by choice and by love/passion for the game. For him to go to Relic and expect or even ask for compensation would be ludicrous, I know he didn't do that and that's not what I'm saying he did but the article was stating the concept as either a joke or an idea. 

To me, it's a form of gift-giving then gauging the recipients response then charging them for it depending upon how much they liked it. No, the biggest reward is seeing your work reflected in the final product of a game you play hours of and probably will for years. We play this game because it's fun to play, fun to watch, fun to try new ideas. Prime example is if Stormless was just doing this faction design for a quick payday, I bet it wouldn't have been as good as he probably actually made it. People doing work just for $$$ won't deliver the best product, it's that simple.

Keep going about COH 3 with this community-interactive way. As I mentioned in a previous post, anyone spending time reading/writing about CoH 3 wants it to succeed not because they love Relic or the developers or the trend to be involved in development feedback, they are doing it because they selfishly want a fun game to play and that's perfectly okay. The truth of the matter is I probably will continue to play original COH, COH2 even after COH 3 is released. They each bring their own story and experience and the exciting part is we not only have those previous titles as a foundation but now they have advancements in gaming technology, an experienced team and strong community to make this game great.

- Art of War (Stormless' future protege)

Updated 3 years ago.
3 years ago
Sep 25, 2021, 2:33:07 AM

Am I misunderstanding this? I get the impression that Relic is consulting "e-sports" players rather than series veterans since CoH1.

3 years ago
Sep 25, 2021, 9:28:01 AM
Wirbelwind wrote:

Am I misunderstanding this? I get the impression that Relic is consulting "e-sports" players rather than series veterans since CoH1.

The so called *e-sports* players also played the games for a very long time, so idk what's wrong in that. Not even mentioning the fact that they play a lot and also know how to play very well, so they understand what's good, what's not and why it is like that. Why would they ask a very bad player about balance and multiplayer when there you have good players who played the games for a very long time.

3 years ago
Sep 25, 2021, 9:29:07 AM

It is good to take feedback from as many players as possible, but one thing is to take some feedback and another thing is to actually work together constantly at a closer level.

3 years ago
Sep 25, 2021, 11:10:21 AM
Wirbelwind wrote:

You are 100%, the only "esport" player in there was luvnest,  the rest were casuals/community members, many of whom have played since coh1 like AE lmfao

3 years ago
Sep 26, 2021, 1:25:00 AM

I am very happy to hear the Dev team is still processing the feedback surveys the players have sent in for the game. Even more happy to hear that its overall good news for the dynamic campaign map. I am really looking forward to interacting with the Dev team in the future and to see what they come up with for COH3. There is huge potential here to tell alot of stories that have been so frequently overlooked.

3 years ago
Sep 26, 2021, 9:29:26 AM

Really awesome to see a game company coming out and working with its community so well! I can not wait to play this as I absolutely loved CoH2, just a bit bummed out I missed the pre-alpha haha.

Will there be any major changes to the map creator in CoH3?

3 years ago
Oct 21, 2021, 6:44:29 PM

Hi guys!
2 small wishes from your old (since 2006) player.
1)please be more historicall accurate. F-ex Marder 3 from one of your screenshots looks like Hetzer with long(!) gun. In last parts you had not made such mistakes,,, And there are many WW2 games (f-e[ "Battle academy" game series) which are rather accurate historically and in the same time very enjojable.
2) Pls include in game ctrete invasion (1941) - it is one of most interesting battles of WW2. However there are practically no popular games covering it. However there are great mods (one of then is based on COH1)
Wish you to make great game!

?

Click here to login

Comment