Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Company of Heroes 3 - Missions: Balancing History vs Gameplay

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jan 26, 2022, 12:02:22 AM

Company of Heroes 3 - Missions: Balancing History vs Gameplay

If you've ever wanted a deep dive on how our Mission designers work, you're in luck! Here's a detailed breakdown from Benoit! - JohnT_RE

Overview

My name is Benoit, I’m one of the Mission Designers on Company of Heroes 3. Today I would like to get into a bit more detail about what that means, and how the Mission team plans and builds out the content you’ll get to play. This post today is going to cover how we balance the contrasting demands of representing history and making a fun and interesting experience for players. In the studio we refer to this balance as “Historical Authenticity.” Let’s dig into how Historical Authenticity is approached in each stage of our development.

Phase 1: Research and Exploratory Layout

When doing research for a mission, we’re mindful of a couple vectors:

1. We want to evoke a cool historical moment, but the timescale needs to be adjusted to be something that hits the beats in an hour rather than the literal days and weeks of the war.
  2. We also use topographical images, maps, and wartime visual resources as a starting point for several of the maps, but again in consideration of our time scale, we are going to compress the distance to bring together as many important geographical elements as possible. A lot of stuff gets squished together to help the player engage with some of the more interesting historical beats of a conflict.
  3. A focus of Company of Heroes 3 is the destruction of buildings, and a level of urban density is required to really show that off. A lot of historical “Battles of X” would not take place as close to the named cities as we are, but this is an intentional liberty to show off our exciting new tech for presentation!

The goal is to drape the mission in an unmistakable texture of these real-world locations and events, and to do so we have to be very selective about what we choose to interpret. Today I’d like to share Anzio with you, made by another of our talented mission designers David M!

First off, here’s a good look at a battle map for the Anzio landing. Note the three points of Allied entry. This kind of thing is a great springboard for map development, as it creates an opportunity to use some of the real-world geography to create an appealing mission space that will be unique to the map.

When adapted for the Anzio pitch, the map ends up looking something like…

This! You’ll notice right away that the orientation has been adjusted. Some important lessons we’ve learned through the history of the series is that the player has a natural inclination to push up! 

You’ll also notice that the player entries, depicted as boots, only cover the lower entry points. The Northwest landing is far enough away from the other starts that it serves as a good way to “checkpoint” player progress, so a secondary objective is proposed here that will give the player resources and allied support to help them make the final push.

You might have noticed that running through the center of the map is a rail line and a mysterious marker called “Annie.” One of the exciting parts of this research phase is you learn about unique weapons and tactics of the war, including a massive rail based long-range gun lovingly named “Anzio Annie” by the allied forces.

The appeal of novel technology has a few hooks that make it deeply important to our game. Firstly, we’re ultimately a creative reinterpretation of the events of the Italian theatre, with our players taking the role of the military powers and exercising whatever strategy they wish. This means at their discretion, they can utilize anything they can conceivably have built or captured. This makes Annie a significant attractor! Who doesn’t want to capture (and later use) a piece of weaponry that huge!

Secondarily, this presents a natural opportunity to make a unique component of the mission that will make it interesting and memorable, standing out against other missions in the same geographical area.

In summary, the layout was built to evoke the multiple pronged landings of Anzio, in such a way to facilitate a well-placed secondary objective in a linear push up the countryside. Mission designer David also knew that he wanted Anzio Annie to play a strong role not simply in the mission, but outside the mission to mark this area of the campaign as unique and unlike any other. 

Phase 2: Greyblocking the Exploratory Layout

At this point, we’ve only ever seen the mission layout as the image above. It’s been reviewed and well considered by a number of people, but it’s just not the same in terms of understanding the actual space and how it’ll appear to the user. The best way to verify our plans and layout is to get it in game! At this stage, a Mission designer is taking a flat grey piece of terrain and molding it very intentionally to mimic the layout they have proposed. To accomplish this, we often take the image we drafted and turn it into a simple texture, which we superimpose on the terrain in the map.

It’s important in this stage that we keep things as loose and as light on artistic elements as possible. A lot of things are going to get ironed out in this stage as simply not working or needing changes, and it’s always relatively simple for a mission designer to go in and re-sculpt a flat grey space than it will be to suddenly need to move hundreds of art objects.

Already in this phase, some issues were emerging. As we move into the next phase, you may notice significant changes made to the position of the rail line, as well as explorations of trench structures to the East.

Phase 3: Incorporating Art and Playtesting

So we’ve had some opportunities to test out the size of the space and call out some obvious problems/address them at a point where it’s easy. Now it’s finally time for Art to step in and make the greybox pass slightly less grey and slightly less boxy. While we in Missions have done research into events, tactics, and topography we can represent in game to make exciting missions, it’s the art team that has been researching more down-to-earth details like the ways in which the German defenders might arrange trenches and sandbags, how to represent some of our trickier terrain features, and what kind of structures and houses make sense in areas of the map.

As they come in, it becomes a process of give and take based on the encounter and tactical needs of missions, and historic and geographical flourishes to help characterize the space as rooted in Italy during WW2.

This is ultimately another way that we strive for “Historical Authenticity.” This give and take will ultimately produce something even further from the actual history, but with elements of research that help evoke the history.

It is also at this time that unique issues emerge when trying to represent Anzio Annie with an eye for accuracy. Paraphrased with permission from the designer of this mission, David M!

Finding a way to effectively use Anzio Annie was a challenge. Initially Annie was only a side objective, it would fire on the beach and then begin rolling along the tracks trying to leave the mission area to escape. That's more in line with the history.

There were a few problems with that though. The gun can't shoot while it's moving, which means that it's not actually a threat to the player. If the player catches up to it early then the objective is over and the gun effectively played no role in the mission. If the player doesn't manage to catch up to it, it may as well not have been in the mission at all.

I scrapped the movement and escaping aspects of the objective and turned Anzio Annie into a big stationary gun in the town. It provides a constant threat to the player by firing, and the player will be able to actually capture and see it. It's a bit less of an historically accurate representation of what happened with the railway guns around Anzio, but provides a better gameplay experience. - David M, CoH 3 Mission Designer

As you can see, our ultimate goal is to serve an exciting moment to moment experience for the player, and sometimes we have to make difficult decisions that err us on one side or the other. For the most part, we have chosen to make decisions that serve the player experience. You’ll probably see this a lot throughout the game, and I hope you do so with understanding to how difficult it is to balance two conflicting goals!

Early Pre-Alpha Game Capture of Anzio. Not indicative of final game at launch.

Part 4: Iteration

Moving forward, we enter a loop of playing the mission, gathering feedback from our peers, and tweaking things to make a more balanced and exciting gameplay experience. In this way we are moving further and further away from the historical account, and working more directly to address feedback like:

1. Ensuring there is enough viable cover. It’s very important to the balance of our game mechanics that the player have access to cover. Sometimes you can see this in the way we use tank traps and other pieces of hard, static objects that fit visually if they are placed in the middle of the scene.

2. Introducing gameplay elements at a pace similar to the rate of player production. On several occasions, you will see that we specifically don’t bring in heavy vehicle presence in the beginning of a mission. This is because we often try and have the mission flow mimic the flow of a multiplayer match, where the player starts with basic infantry and techs into their various options. Don’t worry though, there will be exceptions to watch out for!
  3. Making sure the mission fits the overall campaign progression. The player is going to start a campaign at their smallest and most limited, but that’s going to change over time as they expand companies, gain veterancy, and unlock various Company perks. This creates a satisfying sense of growth for players, but conflicts with more realistic depictions of technological advancement over the course of the war. Missions are tuned against their relative place in the campaign to provide an interesting and engaging challenge appropriate for the strength of the player’s forces at that time.
These factors can combine to make some pretty radical changes in a space! That’s why we consider it very important to start from as grounded a place as possible, to give us room to bend to suit gameplay without losing the soul of a battle or geographical location.

Conclusion
And that’s it? Not quite. But I have already annihilated my word count! This is a very expansive topic and in the interest of brevity I’ve simplified a lot. Maybe, if there’s interest, another mission designer can help us dive even deeper into some of the other aspects that make up our discipline. In the meantime, thanks to David M for providing his mission Anzio as a reference point. I hope you’ve enjoyed this look at what it means for the missions team to strive for Historical Authenticity. - Benoit

Early Pre-Alpha Game Capture of Anzio. Not indicative of final game at launch.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Jan 26, 2022, 8:49:20 AM

thanks for update. though i am not a SP story person.

appreciate the passion and writeup 

2 years ago
Jan 26, 2022, 3:47:01 PM

I'm mostly interested in COH3 for the multiplayer experience, but this is a really fun read and definitely makes me more excited to play the campaign as well. It's very reassuring to see the amount of work and thought that goes into mission design.

2 years ago
Jan 26, 2022, 5:33:15 PM

Thx for the post and the inside into the upcoming content.

I like the idea of historical authenticity AND not historical reproduction. It is good to keep it dynamic and flexible but to incorporate historical details to get the "atmosphere".
From the historical point i would cry about using only a single K5 gun here but i think not many people know that the germans used several railway guns at Anzio. I think the Allies called all railway gun that were shelling the Anzio bridgehead "Anzio Annie" because they didnt know that they were shelled by different guns during the battle. 

(For the historical interested: 1x K5 railway gun, named "Robert", of the Eisenbahn-Artillerie-Batterie 712 arrived on 05.02.1944. 1x K5 railway gun, named "Leopold", of the E-Btt 2./725 arrived on 06.02.1944; both K5 guns were put under the command of Batterie Borchers, named after the Hauptmann commanding both guns. The K5 guns were defended by 65 8,8cm Flak anti air guns, 36 3,7cm Flak anti air guns and 181 2cm Flak anti air guns. Both K5 guns fired a total amount of 529 against the allied units at Anzio. The Batterie Borchers was reinforced by the Eisenbahn-Batterie Erhardt. E-Bttr Erhardt had two former french 24cm K (E) 557 (f) [Canon de 240 L Mle 1884] guns for bombarding Anzio. The guns were former italian guns that were captured after the Italian capitulation. The number of rounds fired by the french guns isnt known. All in all 4 german railway guns were involved into the Anzio shelling. They were reinforced by many other large caliber artillery guns so sometimes the allies misidentified the bombardment and reported more "railway artillery attacks".)

Back to business:
I like the concept and i like the idea of take certain historical elements to add them to the setting and scenario. That is the best you could do to find a mix between fun gameplay and historical authenticity.

Based on your reports i cant wait to learn more about other historical settings you have taken for inspiration to build special campaign missions. With your text in mind and the focus on the brutal narrow urban battles i think the battle of Ortona (sometimes called "the Canadian Stalingrad"), the battle of Mozzagrogna (one of the first battles with saw german Flammenpanzer III and Semovente 105/25 together in action against commonwealth forces) and the battle for Primosole bridge (Sicily, Catania plains - British airdrop attack, small Normandy bocage/close-combat battles of attrition - attrition campaign at the Catania plains against Kampfgruppe Schmalz) are likely candidates for scenarios because of their fundamental different but intensive combat history [Ortona: Urban battle, Mozzagrogna: Flamethrower tanks and heavy SPG assault, Primosole bridge: air landing attack, cut off units, close combat battles for each meter ground around the bridge].

At the end i have a small wish:
Based on the screenshots the map looks beautiful detailed but as a CoH worldbuilder veteran i saw many familiar objects (the old sandbag wall elements, Axis ammunition dump - old well known map objects). I hope u will add more small -VISUAL only- map objects to enforce the visual detailing on the maps and for the map builders. I'm hoping for wooden planked trench elements, ammunition boxes or wooden boxed with PzFausts, piles of empty shells and consumed military goods, different wrecked military objects and weapons like flipped tanks, smashed guns and destroyed logistical stuff; small details like this elements to turn the map into a dirty, repellent, destroyed battlefield.

Thx.

2 years ago
Jan 27, 2022, 9:17:45 AM

This is a pretty cool look at the creative process! I love seeing the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes into making a CoH map.

2 years ago
Jan 27, 2022, 3:53:06 PM

Its good to know that historical accuracy is being taken into consideration, however, I am also curious if the available units in the game will be representative of the time period throughout the campaign

2 years ago
Jan 28, 2022, 11:12:59 PM

Hello Benoit & @JohnT_RE ,

Wow this is a ton of content, thank you. 

The trend this new year with Relic's threads I have noticed are peeks behind the curtain showing how much depth and research is done into every facet of the game. It's both daunting and impressive. I feel like i'm learning not just about COH 3 but game development 101 as well, so thank you for breaking it down so that it makes sense. 

I have touched on historical authenticity in a prior post, and I clearly fall on the side of gameplay and "fun interesting experience for players" moreso than historical accuracy side. And don't get me wrong, I often critiqued Command & Conquer once they started going dolphins w/ lasers and getting crazy, so I'm not just a pure "gaming experience supporter at cost of realism". I am not wanting COH3 to have experimental germans with super soldier serum or experimental aircraft. I do appreciate Relic's commitment to not only representing history but honoring those that were involved with the war by staying as true to realistic as feasible. That is important and what I am about to say is not dismissing that point.

This is a video game, at the end of the day, this is not a historical reference point that will not be played but strictly referenced as a historical authentic resource for someone. If so, then shame on them. It's similar to the guy complaining in the threads about the violence portrayed but loves the game, it's a war game people, how can you complain about the vegan menu when you are in a steakhouse! Now hindsight is 20/20 I have referenced C&C Generals and how they had racist features throughout the gameplay which isn't cool or funny, but it was a fun game at the time to play.

So my point is gamers will be buying this to play a video game, a fairly realistic one where possible, but never at the expense of gameplay experience and to that end there really is no "balance" or debate in my mind. The historical authenticity as important and vital it is for the overall coh experience, I view it as a perk, and a perk is all. By perk, I mean it's a "nice to have", "enjoy having it, even appreciate it," but it's not the reason why I'm buying or not buying the game. Now if Relic had laser beams and clear sci-fi features that would be a different story but that's not what Benoit or anyone is really talking about here. We're talking much more subtle features, units, places, etc. For example: If the town of Anzio realistically had 2 warehouses outside it's main courtyard but in the map of ANzio we play they don't have one single warehouse near the main square, really I do not care or would even know. That commitment to historical accuracy isn't necessary to make a fun game. So all of this to say as much as I appreciate the "balance" Benoit describes, I can't speak for anyone else besides myself but know Benoit that when you stated "For the most part, we have chosen to make decisions that serve the player experience." that is great for a reader/coh gamer like me to hear. You'll never be able to please everyone but I feel like if you get people complaining about "hey that weapon wasnt' used until 1945 but this timeline is actually 1944, aha I caught a slip by Relic!" I feel like at that point that is great news BECAUSE they are not writing threads about the atrocious gameplay interface or poor AI or awful map designs, they are nitpicking details that majority of gamers don't really even know or even care about. (And by care I mean spending $60 on buying the game level of care). I feel it's worth mentioning again, I think it's important the level of realism is followed as it has been in the prior versions and I think it has by the slices I've played with thus far. 

Keep up the great work team Relic, I can't wait for the next slice!

- Art of War

2 years ago
Jan 29, 2022, 6:21:20 PM

With Anzio i'm more interested in the Italians units fighting there.

Part of the Axis lines were units of the Decima Flottiglia MAS with the Battaglione 'Barbarigo' and Gruppo d'Artiglieria 'San Giorgio' (~1.500 men). The 4. Fallschirmjäger-Division was reinforced by the RSI Nembo parachute battalion (Battaglione Autonomo Paracadutisti 'Nembo'). The RSI Air Force send in its SM.79 bomber unit (Gruppo Aereosiluranti 'Buscaglia') and its Reggimento Arditi paracadutisti 'Folgore' and the RSI Army send thousands of constructions units and 2 Battaglione da Fortezza (Fortress battalions). All in all there were up to 7.500 RSI soldiers at Anzio to reinforce the german line of defense. 

So i would be happy to see them represented in the mission as well.  

2 years ago
Jan 31, 2022, 9:05:33 AM

Best Dev community diary in a long time!

Very interesting and very well done!

?

Click here to login

Comment