Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Company of Heroes 3 - Branching Narrative

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jun 15, 2022, 6:25:49 PM

Branching Narrative

One of the big additions to Company of Heroes 3 is the Italian Dynamic Campaign Map. From day one, it has been designed to be a replayable experience, and over the last few years we’ve been building a narrative that supports that replayability. 

The story that forms the backdrop to the Italian campaign centers around our three subcommanders – General Buckram, General Norton and the Partisan leader, Valenti. Each of them has their own part to play and how the story plays out will depend on both your relationship with the subcommanders and the actions you take during the campaign.

Some changes will be subtle – choosing to come to the aid of a Partisan group caught in a German ambush may save the life of a Partisan soldier enabling him to reappear later in the campaign. Or capturing intel during a mission may unlock a story arc that provides a little insight into one of the subcommanders. 

Other times, though, the decisions you make can have lasting consequences on both the story and your relationship with the subcommanders. Ignoring Valenti’s requests for help could even cost you her support completely. 

The Generals also have competing priorities and at times you’ll need to decide which of them you want to support. The decision to follow through on that commitment is still up to you but go back on your word and you’ll damage your relationship and potentially send the story in a different direction. 

All of this is driven by two powerful systems – the Action Director and the Dynamic Narrative system. 

The Action Director gives us access to a wide range of information – from what abilities the player has used to when they last lost a battle against the AI. We can use that information to trigger appropriate objectives, story beats, and gameplay events. 

The Dynamic Narrative system not only allows us to easily build branching story content but also connects into other systems so that we can customize dialogue to reflect details from other parts of the game. Even something as simple as which order you complete objectives can change the subcommanders attitude and could determine whether they’ll pass on information that could help you in your fight across Italy. 

The meat of the Italian campaign is still the strategic gameplay, and the story is there to enhance the experience without getting in the way. But we hope you’ll enjoy exploring the stories of our subcommanders on your way to liberating Italy.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Jun 15, 2022, 11:04:29 PM

It really doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when you keep re-using screenshots from the reveal trailer for some of these updates.

Perhaps actual and brand new screenshots relevant to the topic at hand?

I think Paradox Interactive devs on their forums at least uses fresh screenshots for their dev diaries.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Jun 16, 2022, 6:48:58 AM
Wirbelwind wrote:

It really doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when you keep re-using screenshots from the reveal trailer for some of these updates.

I think Paradox Interactive devs on their forums at least uses fresh screenshots for their dev diaries.

I haven't seen that one before, but might be wrong. In any case, you have a point. I mean, some screenshots devs showed were from mid-2021, aka 1 year ago and game sure is supposed to look better, considering they used to aim for release this year.

2 years ago
Jun 17, 2022, 11:50:20 AM

Nice.

2 years ago
Jun 18, 2022, 10:33:57 AM

Doufám že kampaň bude rozsáhlá a hodně misí. Ještě jsem neviděl nic o africké kampaňi ? Snad bude na výběr vícero druhů tanků a všeho možného ? Doufám že uvidíme i civilisty psy atd. 

2 years ago
Jun 20, 2022, 7:50:33 AM
Totally agree. I even don't have urge to read the text when I saw these old screenshots again. Sometimes I worried their developement progress since they can't offer some new stuff to draw our attention.
Wirbelwind wrote:

2 years ago
Jun 20, 2022, 3:18:05 PM

I am looking forward to this game too. Rather than very cool features, I would prefer the game's custom maps/mods to be more stable. Custom maps/mods in CoH2 & AoE4 crashes often. Maybe it can be solved by the framework? I am not sure. Please do something with the stability in this new game. I wish it can be a new masterpiece.

2 years ago
Jun 20, 2022, 7:09:15 PM
CAuMOH wrote:
Wirbelwind wrote:

I haven't seen that one before, but might be wrong. In any case, you have a point. I mean, some screenshots devs showed were from mid-2021, aka 1 year ago and game sure is supposed to look better, considering they used to aim for release this year.

I dont think this game will be released this year, if so i would assume they would start to make some pr for the game already..

like showing this game at non e3 maybe?

2 years ago
Jun 22, 2022, 2:26:02 PM

Replayability is so important. After you finish the game you have to feel the need to do it over again 

?

Click here to login

Comment