Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Italy is the main faction in Africa

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Jul 12, 2022, 6:01:19 PM

let's start by saying that there are data from more historians that state that the units used by the Axis on the African front numbered 250,000 Italian troops and at least 100,000 German troops. So to see, as usual, two German factions seems to me a gross error. In my opinion it was better to concentrate efforts on more factions inherent in the Italian campaign and of course the African campaign. Putting two German factions (Wehrmacht and DAK Werhmacht) seems to me to be a mockery when the second axis faction could very well have been Italy since it had more troops in Africa and was the protagonist on the African front ( such as the battle of Bir El Gobi, El Alamein, Tobruk, Marsa Matruh). Of course, the Germans repeatedly supported the Italians and at other times were the protagonists in some battles, but the fact remains that at least in Africa Italy should have been put first. Plus seeing Italian troops put in the service of German factions, the idea would fit on the Italian front (In Italy) but not in Africa. And then to say that other factions will be added, surely italy will be included in these as a paid dlc, seems to me to be a DOUBLE tease, because if italy as a country is the reference point on which the game itself is based, you cannot exclude it as a faction regardless. I hope that the game slowly gets on the right track, because this way it already starts badly.

2 years ago
Jul 12, 2022, 6:34:03 PM
dave99ita wrote:

let's start by saying that there are data from more historians that state that the units used by the Axis on the African front numbered 250,000 Italian troops and at least 100,000 German troops. So to see, as usual, two German factions seems to me a gross error. In my opinion it was better to concentrate efforts on more factions inherent in the Italian campaign and of course the African campaign. Putting two German factions (Wehrmacht and DAK Werhmacht) seems to me to be a mockery when the second axis faction could very well have been Italy since it had more troops in Africa and was the protagonist on the African front ( such as the battle of Bir El Gobi, El Alamein, Tobruk, Marsa Matruh). Of course, the Germans repeatedly supported the Italians and at other times were the protagonists in some battles, but the fact remains that at least in Africa Italy should have been put first. Plus seeing Italian troops put in the service of German factions, the idea would fit on the Italian front (In Italy) but not in Africa. And then to say that other factions will be added, surely italy will be included in these as a paid dlc, seems to me to be a DOUBLE tease, because if italy as a country is the reference point on which the game itself is based, you cannot exclude it as a faction regardless. I hope that the game slowly gets on the right track, because this way it already starts badly.

Personally, my opinion is that if the AXIS of the Germans arises again, it will be a serious failure.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Jul 12, 2022, 6:56:06 PM

It's highly likely more factions will introduced later on in the games lifetime. I'd be shocked if an Italian faction wasn't the first faction dlc.

2 years ago
Jul 12, 2022, 7:10:02 PM

I made an account just to post a reply to this.

I completely, and wholeheartedly agree. I am genuinely baffled that the Italians are not one of the main factions in a WW2 game set on the Italian/N.African front. You'd think Relic would want to not make more Germans, but they ended up just making more Germans. In all the company of heroes games, the only Axis nations are German, then Super German.

CoH 1 - Wehrmacht & Panzer Elite.
CoH 2 - Wehrmacht & Oberkommando
CoH 3 - Wehrmacht & Afrika Korps

It genuinely makes me seethe with anger. I hate this on so many levels, I feel Relic are creatively bankrupt or they're all wehraboos. According to Relic, in WW2. The Axis only consisted of Germans, German Elite, Ober Germans and finally DAK Germans. Up against US, UK, USSR; and also with how the new system is, you also have Anzacs, Canadians and Italians fighting together against the German Horde. Realistic? Sorta, but not entirely. It still boggles my mind why didn't they make a game set in the Pacific, or the DLC for CoH 2. Instead of taking place in the Ardennes, why not set it in the Pacific? You'd have the USA and USSR vs Germany and Japan duking it out in Multiplayer. Instead of more, and more Germans.

Do not even attempt to say it was in a attempt to keep things historically accurate, with half of the equipment and some vehicles the Oberkommando have being experimental or in such low numbers it would not have been seen on any frontline in any meaningful capacity (Infrared stg44 and the Sturmtiger). That and when you see British and Americans running around in Stalingrad against Germans using technology made in 1945. You know gameplay takes precedence always.

Ramblings aside, for a game set in the Mediterranean. It honestly should have had the Italians, instead of another flavour of Germans. Again. For the 3rd time.

2 years ago
Jul 12, 2022, 7:32:52 PM

I also logged in to the site only to make this post where I complain about the relic's poor ideas, when they could commit a minimum and make the game prettier and more accurate in terms of lore. Unfortunately nowadays game companies see germany as the only nation in the axis, the others apparently remained neutral throughout the conflict. That's how it is by now, I don't think I will buy the game, plus if they put the Italians as a paid dlc (even if it costs 10 euros), that will piss off at least half the community, especially the Italian community.

2 years ago
Jul 13, 2022, 2:46:23 AM

Italy should definitely be a main faction for North Africa considering their involvement and presence early in North Africa but they should also be represented as a potential battlegroup for the Afrika Korps. Since after the Italian capitulation at Tobruk and Germany decided to intervene in North Africa, Rommel's Afrika Korps essentially assumed control of the remaining Italian forces. So having Italy's early war forces represented as a stand-alone North Africa faction and then the post German intervention Italian forces represented by a battlegroup for Afrika Korps would make perfect sense.

2 years ago
Jul 13, 2022, 12:18:33 PM

I am pretty sure the italians will be a playable factions. In their newest dev video, they mentioned, that they have many ideas for factions, units and game modes etc. So far we can not say if the italians will be in the base game at the releas or not. But the premium version (80€ here in Europe) contains a dlc pass as far as I have seen. The price may be high, but it goes along with other recent games for PC or Playstation/Xbox. And as a german faction enjoyer (I am soly playing Wehrmacht and OKW in Coh2) I like this approch and that there will be two german factions again. Because truth be told, I will test all the factions for sure, but I will end up playing the german factions for the whole time. Everyone has their own preference.

2 years ago
Jul 13, 2022, 12:56:22 PM

As always there are two german factions; this is a bit disappointing because with more factions the gameplay could be more impressive. I hope in future changes.

?

Click here to login

Comment