Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

ITALIAN FACTION DESIGN

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Aug 18, 2022, 9:32:10 AM

Here is my design for a possible Italian faction and six possible battlegroups.

A small premise:

I have made this mainly to show that there are most definitely enough units to form a standalone Italian faction. I have also added some mechanics that I think might be cool, if you think that something should be better organized or might not be as fun as it looks feel free to suggest a better way to design it (Mind that these mechanics that I have added are purely part of the gameplay aspect of the faction and do not change the feasibility of a standalone Italian faction). If new interesting ideas come up I’ll try to maybe update this post to include them.

Why is this better than a few battlegroups? There is a big difference between playing a full Italian faction and playing a German faction with Italian call-ins. In the following Faction roaster alone we will see 21 different Italian units (44 in total if we count the 6 battlegroups) and many interesting mechanics and ideas that simply are not possible if this was to be reduced to some battlegroup of another faction. This is also a possibility to structure a new and different playstyle.

Why only Italian units? Italian faction -> Italian units. There is no need for  foreign supplement, it would only hinder the feeling of a fully Italian faction. (There is a battlegroup containing Germans and other nations units).

THE FACTION:

Notes and clarifications:

About the Pazzaglia bomb: Thou sometimes refered to as “Passaglia” I believe the original bomb to be “Pazzaglia”. It was originally meant as an improvised anti-tank grenade and it was used as such by the Italian army. It inspired the British to make the Gammon bomb witch works very similarly. For this reason I assigned to the Pazzaglia bomb the same role that the Gammon bomb had in Coh2.

About the cost of T2 upgrades: Since the Artillery post unlocks a very useful and quite powerful Base howitzer, I believe the cost of such upgrade should resemble the cost of building an howitzer (keeping in mind that you will also have to either upgrade an L3/35 or build a command tank to shoot it). Quite differently, I think the Motor post upgrade shouldn’t be too expensive since it’s what gives you access to medium armour (for which you will have to pay to build anyway). In general the Howitzer upgrade is something you should do only in games in which you  want to focus on artillery or need something heavier than the mortar while the motor post upgrade is something you’ll be able to do most games.

About the Bersaglieri on motorbikes: The ability lets you change a squad of Bersaglieri into a squad of Bersaglieri on motorbikes to increase damage while moving (they all have lmgs) and mobility. I specified “3 bikes” (thus lowering the total amount of soldier in the unit to 3) because I fear that a 5 man squad might be too op.

THE FACTION BATTLEGROUPS:

I only made 6 possible battle groups but I think that there could be many more, I do not know how many Battlegroups will each faction have but, for the Italian faction I think there could be even more (a Regia marina battlegroup with Xmas and naval bombardments, a Carristi battlegroup with more armoured cars and tanks etc. ). I tried to follow a theme in every battlegroup and have each one focus on a different playstyle: Artillery, tank destroyers, camouflage and air support or try to make the starting militia unit useful in the late game by buffing them and, hopefully, conserving them to reach a high veterancy level.

About the Alpini unit: I have written “similar to Jaegers” but I do not think they should have camouflage. They should have a bonus on the first shot (like Jaegers) when in cover and/or using the hight advantage mechanic.

About the axis battlegroup: Even thou it might not be very historically accurate (The Italian factions resemble more a Republic of Salò (RSI) and I doubt Hugarian and Romanian troops ever fought in the Italian civil war) I think it could be cool to have some Axis units that come from another faction that isn’t Germany and some less seen tanks and At guns. If historical accuracy is such a great problem and a single battlegroup ruins the (already crippled) realism of the game, all the Hungarian and Romanian units can be swapped with German ones.

About the Hungarian elite infantry: I have to admit my grave ignorance and say that I do not know ANY Hungarian elite unit and have no clue on what to put here. I thought the idea was cool, saw it on a post from which I took inspiration (link below), and went with it. So, if anyone knows a good candidate for this spot, please tell me.

INFANTRY UPGRADES:

About the max veterancy level: I have decided to have the maximum veterancy level be 5. The reason behind this is the strong reliance of  the faction on infantry units that will benefit from a higher reachable veterancy level and for the reason that was already explained in the faction’s base structure image (at the bottom under “veterancy”). The 5 level veterancy can be collapsed into a 3 level one if needed.

Edits:

Edit 1: added the Hungarian Huszar Golyoszorosok infantry unit and switched the Panzer 35t with a 40M Turan.

Edit 2: added infantry upgrades and veterancy system for fucilieri units.

Credits

In addition of doing some research on my own, I took large inspiration from the following three posts, I suggest checking them out:

[Italian faction idea by u/Potato_Emperor667]

[Italian Faction concept for CoH3 by u/RegioFezzi]

[The Italian faction - an essay about a potential RS Italian faction by @LordRommel]

Also Thanks to @Geofranz for reviewing it, this post now has the Geofranz mark of approval.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Aug 18, 2022, 9:49:10 AM

Great job Panino! I have always desired to see an italian faction in COH3 and I think the design choices that you have made are interesting and could bring something new and fresh to the game. Maybe I will take inspiration and try to post a design of an allied italian faction based on partisans and asymmetric warfare, something that isn't really present in this series. I hope your proposal will contribute positively to this community's discourse about an italian faction.

2 years ago
Aug 18, 2022, 10:16:34 AM

I like most of it, I don't like the idea of weapon racks. I'd rather just see an LMG upgrade or some kind of squad leader upgrade for infantry.

2 years ago
Aug 18, 2022, 7:45:53 PM

Punzybobo wrote:

I like most of it, I don't like the idea of weapon racks. I'd rather just see an LMG upgrade or some kind of squad leader upgrade for infantry.

the idea of the weapon rack was to give a higher degree of customization when it comes to arming infantry units. A normal infantry weapon upgrade gives you less possibilities.

LastEcho wrote:

What would be the advantage of the Solothurn 18-1000 over a 47/32 weapons team? Do they fill different roles?

If you are using the weapon rack for weapon upgrades, will infantry have different specialized upgrades (IE: British Infantry section can be given Medical Supplies or flares to call in base artillery)?

For the Tank Hunters battlegroup, was there a plane you are thinking of for the AT strafing run? The FC 20 Bis?

Blacks Shirts using molotovs is a nice touch.

The inclusion of the Solothurn 18-1000 is mainly to give some AT capability in case you were to build the in motor post before the Artillery post to focus on fast armoured cars in the early game. The Solothurn 18-1000 gives you enough at to defend from early armour and, being a normal infantry squad when it comes to moving, it is also more suited for a fast and mobile warfare. the advantage of the Solothurn 18-1000 over a 47/32 weapons team is the higher mobility and faster rate of fire. It could also have the ability to use buildings and be affected by the “infantry camouflage” upgrade of the Paracadutisti battlegroup. (also it would be cheaper)

Regarding weapon racks, different specialized upgrades for infantry units could be a nice addition, I just don’t know what to give them. Healing is already covered by the truck, artillery strikes would break the entire howitzer/ command tank mechanic, maybe an upgrade to increase their sight range an letting them shoot flares ?

The FC 20 Bis could be good as a plane for the AT strafing run, since you don’t even see them while playing I don’t think it makes much difference which plane does what as long as it’s not a fighter plane bombarding or vice versa.

2 years ago
Aug 18, 2022, 9:17:12 PM

Weapon racks are just kind of a noob trap though. You always want machineguns on your infantry and AT weapons on engineers or other units that benefit from them. Kind of no point in having them.

2 years ago
Aug 20, 2022, 1:49:27 AM

That's pretty good.

Sometimes

Italian faction should have officers , aircrafts and motor firepower. 

That's a truly nice design.

2 years ago
Aug 22, 2022, 4:17:58 AM

I like this a lot, very well thought out. I have a few ideas that could help as well

Another potential unit is the famo 88 its a big truck with an 88 flak on it that could destroy tanks and can load he shells, sort of falls into the 100/17 lancua's roll.

There is also a semovente that was used with a 105mm gun that could maybe fit instead of the 75/18, or fitted in a battlegroup this would probably be their answer to heavier tanks.

I think the Paratroopers as a side note should be more of a mid/long range unit perhaps getting double breda lmgs as thats what they were historically equipped with.

For the axis battlegroup you could use huszar golyoszorosok (that's very hard to spell) its basically a heavy infantry group with lmgs. Also in that group you could use the hungarian Turan tanks instead of the 35t, the Hungarians had plenty of interesting tanks and armoured vehicles. (toldi 38, 39mm casba, 36/40 nimrod, Zrinyi II assault gun is good as well).

and there is some good Romanian infantry options for another battlegroup.

really like the effort you put in especially the unit selection. I think maybe the p26/40 could be bent a little bit in the balancing to make it better than a panzer 4 just so the Italians can at least have 1 solid main tank to use.

just as a side note the Italians where the first army to adopt camouflage so maybe they could have some more camouflage options.

2 years ago
Aug 24, 2022, 7:43:46 AM

Thanks a lot for your inspirations. I think Relic will add the italian faction aswell after some time. So this will be really helpfull for the future.  

2 years ago
Aug 24, 2022, 10:29:26 PM

This is very well detailed. Really appreciate the time taken to put this together. Again goes to show Italy has plenty of stuff to utilize for itself. Keep up the crafting boys and idea juice flowing. Hopefully we help lay out the foundations for relic and they can put together a design for us to have a proper Italian army. 

2 years ago
Aug 26, 2022, 1:45:38 AM

This is great! Good job.

It would be cool if we got a some sort of research/battlegroup that unlocks experimental and design stage units that could be brought to life in video game.  

Like design stage vehicles such as the P43 bis and Caproni Campini Ca.183bis. 

Or prototypes weapons such as units armed with the Model 42 anti-tank grenade and Model 1928 Tromboncino grenade launcher or 60mm Lanciabombe.

Could include unconventional units as well like the Frogmen (Commandos).

2 years ago
Aug 26, 2022, 5:48:55 AM
LastEcho wrote:
Panino27 wrote:

Regarding weapon racks, different specialized upgrades for infantry units could be a nice addition, I just don’t know what to give them. Healing is already covered by the truck, artillery strikes would break the entire howitzer/ command tank mechanic, maybe an upgrade to increase their sight range an letting them shoot flares ?

Perhaps run with what Punzy said? Different leader upgrades that give stat boosts or certain abilities (offense, defense, LoS, RoF, speed, etc.) 

Maybe there could be different leader upgrades that are used to specialize the unit.

An offensive upgrade (could be called "squadre d'assalto specialization") would increase accuracy while running and give a little speed boost.

A defensive upgrade (could be called "squadre di difesa specialization") would decrease accuracy received while in cover and increase accuracy while stationary.

A scout upgrade (could be called "squadre d'esposizione specialization") would increase range and vision.

In addition, veterancy unlocks could differ on the specialization. Offensively specialized infantry units could be given 

carabine rifles and offensive oriented boosts, defensively specialized units could gain a suppression ability (like usf engineers) and defensive oriented boosts, scout specialized infantry units could gain the ability to launch flares and scouting oriented boosts. This way the weapon racks would make more sense and the veterancy system would be more interesting.

2 years ago
Aug 26, 2022, 5:49:55 AM
Stop_The_Boats wrote:

I like this a lot, very well thought out. I have a few ideas that could help as well

Another potential unit is the famo 88 its a big truck with an 88 flak on it that could destroy tanks and can load he shells, sort of falls into the 100/17 lancua's roll.

There is also a semovente that was used with a 105mm gun that could maybe fit instead of the 75/18, or fitted in a battlegroup this would probably be their answer to heavier tanks.

I think the Paratroopers as a side note should be more of a mid/long range unit perhaps getting double breda lmgs as thats what they were historically equipped with.

For the axis battlegroup you could use huszar golyoszorosok (that's very hard to spell) its basically a heavy infantry group with lmgs. Also in that group you could use the hungarian Turan tanks instead of the 35t, the Hungarians had plenty of interesting tanks and armoured vehicles. (toldi 38, 39mm casba, 36/40 nimrod, Zrinyi II assault gun is good as well).

really like the effort you put in especially the unit selection. I think maybe the p26/40 could be bent a little bit in the balancing to make it better than a panzer 4 just so the Italians can at least have 1 solid main tank to use.

just as a side note the Italians where the first army to adopt camouflage so maybe they could have some more camouflage options.

The famo 88 seams to be a German truck, I would prefer to only use Italian units for the faction. I did include the 90/53 su lancia 3Ro in a battlegroup (which is quite similar) as a mobile artillery piece, It could have the ability to also be used like a famo 88.

The tank you are referring to is the semovente da 105/25 "bassotto" which I already included in a battlegroup (tank hunters battlegroup).

I will do some research on the Hungarian units you proposed and edit the original post to add them.

The P26/40, thou in some aspects similar to a panzer 4, was technically classified as a heavy tank. It was when they designed it. The fielding of heavier tanks such as panthers then made it more suitable for a medium tank classification. Because of this, the stats could be balanced to make it a middleground between medium and heavy tanks. 

Thanks for the feedback

2 years ago
Aug 26, 2022, 3:45:29 PM

i like to see japan army in a company of heroes game

2 years ago
Aug 26, 2022, 7:59:33 PM

I would move the "Arditi" from the Motor Pool to the "Barracks" as the motor pool should be mechanized units only.

Also swaping the L3/35 (Carro Veloce) with the AB 41 as those recon vehicles should be within the infantry while the tankette more focused on armor support as light tank.

Another alternative would be using the L3/35 as battlegroup unit while the light tank could be the already in-game L6/40 tank.

2 years ago
Aug 27, 2022, 5:26:23 AM
Panino27 wrote:
Stop_The_Boats wrote:

The famo 88 seams to be a German truck, I would prefer to only use Italian units for the faction. I did include the 90/53 su lancia 3Ro in a battlegroup (which is quite similar) as a mobile artillery piece, It could have the ability to also be used like a famo 88.

The tank you are referring to is the semovente da 105/25 "bassotto" which I already included in a battlegroup (tank hunters battlegroup).

I will do some research on the Hungarian units you proposed and edit the original post to add them.

The P26/40, thou in some aspects similar to a panzer 4, was technically classified as a heavy tank. It was when they designed it. The fielding of heavier tanks such as panthers then made it more suitable for a medium tank classification. Because of this, the stats could be balanced to make it a middleground between medium and heavy tanks. 

Thanks for the feedback

Ah my bad you are right on the Famo 88 I had just assumed it was Italian, and I also missed the 105 semovente in the tank hunter group my bad again. The Italians might have considered the p26/40 a heavy tank but it was definitely a medium tank with about the same ish-gun and armour as a t-34/76

2 years ago
Sep 2, 2022, 11:57:06 AM

Italians can also get Carro armato S.O.M.U.A in a battle group. 32 of these tanks were handed over by Germany to Italy in September 1941 and although in reality they had problems with spare parts and saw a limited number of fights, this is a good variant.

Updated 2 years ago.
2 years ago
Sep 2, 2022, 10:38:15 PM

I edited the original post to include the Hungarian units that were proposed, thanks for the suggestions.

KingDarBoja wrote:

I would move the "Arditi" from the Motor Pool to the "Barracks" as the motor pool should be mechanized units only.

Also swaping the L3/35 (Carro Veloce) with the AB 41 as those recon vehicles should be within the infantry while the tankette more focused on armor support as light tank.

Another alternative would be using the L3/35 as battlegroup unit while the light tank could be the already in-game L6/40 tank.

I think it would be better to maintain an infantry unit in each tier, moving the Bersaglieri (I think you are referring to them and not the Arditi who are in the Tank post) to the Barracks would have them compete with the Fucilieri. You do have the possibility to motorize Bersaglieri squads by giving them motorbikes. Swapping AB 41 and L3/35 could be an interesting idea but I think that would require some changes. The ability to upgrade to be able to call Artillery would have to be given to the AB (It would not make sense to have a unit that can use the base howitzer in the tier 2 option that does not give you one). The AB 41 might also need to become an AB 40 (same amount of Mgs but no big gun) and become upgradable to an AB 41/42 once Tier 2 is built. The L6 I included in the Alpini battlegroup, did not want to have too many already seen units in the base roaster.

Stop_The_Boats wrote:

Ah my bad you are right on the Famo 88 I had just assumed it was Italian, and I also missed the 105 semovente in the tank hunter group my bad again. The Italians might have considered the p26/40 a heavy tank but it was definitely a medium tank with about the same ish-gun and armour as a t-34/76

When I say the P26/40 was designed as a heavy tank I mean it was made and used to fill the role of an heavy tank (supporting medium tanks (the M series)). As for its effectiveness, the P40 had a good gun, very similar to the Panzer IV’s  7,5 cm KwK 40 gun having about the same piercing capabilities, a decent armour  (60 to 50mm in the front, 40mm on the side and back; sloped) and could be given a large Hp pool to make it more resilient. I also hope that in Coh3 we will see more medium armour play and less heavy and super heavy tanks making tanks like the P40, panzer IV, panzer III and so on more prominent.

Crecer13 wrote:

Italians can also get Carro armato S.O.M.U.A in a battle group. 32 of these tanks were handed over by Germany to Italy in September 1941 and although in reality they had problems with spare parts and saw a limited number of fights, this is a good variant.

The Carro Armato S.O.M.U.A. could be included in another battlegroup, there still are many units that I have not used anywhere.

Vanders wrote:

It would be cool if we got a some sort of research/battlegroup that unlocks experimental and design stage units that could be brought to life in video game.  

Like design stage vehicles such as the P43 bis and Caproni Campini Ca.183bis. 

Or prototypes weapons such as units armed with the Model 42 anti-tank grenade and Model 1928 Tromboncino grenade launcher or 60mm Lanciabombe.

Could include unconventional units as well like the Frogmen (Commandos).

A prototype battlegroup would be cool to see, units such as the P43 bis, the quadruplo AA self-propelled gun, the Semovente M43 da 149/40 or the celere sahariano tank would all be very interesting to play and see brought to “reality”, but I fear that is something more fitting for a mod. I personally hope to see, if an Italian faction is added  (would be idiotic not to), an advanced powers mod for coh3 and the Italians.

I also forgot to mention that I would love to hear each unit speak a different Italian dialect.

2 years ago
Sep 4, 2022, 5:52:03 PM

Absolutely wonderful job! LastEcho is a great resource for Italian faction ideas, I have even made a post about Italy and France in a similar vein as what you have done here. I am glad to see other people as passionate about it.

2 years ago
Sep 5, 2022, 10:32:28 AM

e molto interessante e potrebbe essere una buona idea per il gioco visto che in Italia e in Africa c'erano anche l'italiani.

Sono d'accordo su tutte le unità tranne quelle straniere; ci sta avere carri ma non impegnato perchè Romania e Ungheria erano contro URSS. 

Per il resto veicoli e unita che danno un bel senso di varietà. Avere una fazione italiana è d'obligo visto che si parla di questo teatro o almeno vederla presente non solo in Nord Africa.

2 years ago
Sep 6, 2022, 2:31:47 PM

I edited the original post to add 3 upgrade options for the base infantry unit (fucilieri) as it was proposed by @LastEcho  and @ Punzybobo.

IredOfficial wrote:

e molto interessante e potrebbe essere una buona idea per il gioco visto che in Italia e in Africa c'erano anche l'italiani.

Sono d'accordo su tutte le unità tranne quelle straniere; ci sta avere carri ma non impegnato perchè Romania e Ungheria erano contro URSS. 

Per il resto veicoli e unita che danno un bel senso di varietà. Avere una fazione italiana è d'obligo visto che si parla di questo teatro o almeno vederla presente non solo in Nord Africa.

So bene che le unità straniere che ho aggiunto non presero parte ai combattimenti in Italia, le ho inserite per "accennare" alla presenza di altre fazioni dell'asse al di fuori della Germania. Nel caso la loro presenza sia troppo lesiva per l'accuratezza storica del gioco, è possibile rimpiazzarle con unità tedesche. Spero comunque che Ungheria, Romania ecc.. abbiano una loro futura fazione (anche in comune) in un possibile futuro DLC contro L'URSS.

Thanks for the great feedbacks!

?

Click here to login

Comment