Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

The DAK Redesign

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Feb 26, 2023, 4:36:16 PM

Throughout the history of Coh games, the factions rarely stay the way they were designed for the entire duration of the game’s lifespan. OKW and USF changed substantially and PE had its fair share of changes (although not as many as they ought to have had) as well. So factions are usually re-adjusted as they become more played and the kinks are worked out. This thread aims at getting out in front of this early because having played with the DAK a bit, while they are fairly well designed, relative to some of the previous factions at launch, I feel there’s better options available here. 

To qualify my opinions, in Coh1 I was a top 200 ladder player and in Coh2 I’m currently 350ish, but I have not really played anywhere near as many games of Coh2 as I’ve been off doing real-life stuff ever since it came out basically. That’s my reference when I make the suggestions that I do.

Current design

Let’s take some observations of the current design and what personally I find stands to be improved:

Deployment System:

• Some people seem to be steadfastly against the deployment system, where the words ‘call in meta’ seem to be lurking beneath the resentment. Given the saga that was balancing Coh2 call in meta, you can absolutely understand why and I feel the deployment system has elements of these issues. My own main gripe with this mechanic is the ‘group’ and discount emphasis, which is balanced against having a long cooldown, which to me feels like not only a crude way of trying to balance this dynamic, it also skews balancing the individual units (as you’ll always perceive them after having been called in from a call in). You also always seem to end up with a plethora of 250 halftracks, regardless of whether you want them or not, and given that population cap is highly limiting in Coh3, not having the player agency to call in the unit you want without the burden of the 250, is a problem. Another problem is the way you upgrade the call in, it’s a blanket upgrade, either all the call ins change or none of them do, which again removes player agency (some players may always want that Pak call in). This really ought to be more granular. The upgrade also makes Panzer Jagers permanently unavailable, which isn’t great. However, having thought about it a bit, I actually feel the deployment system can be much improved and actually allow for significant strategic and build order depth if done correctly.

Tier 2.5

• I feel 2.5 (armoured support elements) is very much a pigeon holed tier which won’t see play. Both units are quite niche and the tech as a whole doesn’t play into the overall tech tree the same way tier 1.5 (fire support elements) does.

Linear Design

• The developers themselves admit the design is linear, which is not as interesting as non linear tech tress.

Healing Is Tied to A 6-Pop Vehicle.

• Its fairly annoying having 6 pop tied up in a vehicle that will for a majority of the time sit in your base.

These are essentially my main problems with the way the teching tree functions currently. This is what I propose gets changed:

New Design

The Description

I’m going to explain the changes first and then explain the rational after. The teching costs are rough and open to being changed.

First off, tier 0 stays basically the same except that it unlocks the grenade and 250 halftrack upgrades in the armoury immediately. Both of these upgrades should have a fuel cost added to them, it seems weird that they don’t have one already. I would also add another upgrade to the armoury for base headling which is also unlocked by tier 0. This means healing is no longer tied to the medical truck but the medical truck itself becomes more a unit you use for in field reinforcement and maintaining map presence. I feel simple base healing like this is a formula that should just not be messed with. Whenever a new take on healing is done it never ends up being better. Then after that, this is where things get different. Instead of being linear, you can now either tech T1 or T2. 

Tier 1 has as a default the MG34 and the Medical truck. Tier 1 also now has two side tiers instead of one, which I call 1.5 A and 1.5 B. 1.5 A has access to The Flakhalftrack and the Panzer Jagers and also unlocks the increased squad sizes upgrade in the armoury. 1.5 B has the ISG and the Pak, as well as the AP rounds upgrade. Incidentally, the hollow round and AP round ability for both the ISG and the Pak should be locked behind this ability instead of vet. Either T1 side tier unlocks the MP40 upgrade for the Panzer Grenadiers. 

Tier 2 has Assault Grens and the observation halftrack as standard. Tier 2 also has two side tiers instead of one, which I call 2.5 A and 2.5 B. 2.5 A has access to the the 232 Armoured Car and also the P3 E. I replaced the recover halftrack with the P3 E because the DAK have so many repair options already (too many to be fair) that it was totally superfluous. The Recover HT feels a much better fit for a doctrine or even Wehr. 2.5 A also unlocks the smoke screen upgrade in the armoury. 2.5 B instead unlocks the Stug III D and also the Marder, as well as the Blitz upgrade in the armoury. Either side tier unlocks the MG34 for panzer grens.

Tier 3 becomes available once any of the side tiers have been purchased. It contains the Panzer 3 L, the Panzer 3 Flamethrower variant and the Stug III G as well as unlocking a Panzer Schrek upgrade for Panzerjägers and the MP34 upgrade for Panzer Grens. The Panzer 3 Flamethrower variant is replaced by a 251 Call-in in the batllegroup. This tier no longer has a call ins upgrade but instead two side tiers; 3.5 A and 3.5 B. The first, 3.5 A, unlocks the tiger and also the global repairs buff (or whatever that is called) in the armoury. 3.5 B unlocks the walking stuka and the flak 36 as well as the emergency repairs upgrade in the armoury.

That’s the basic tier structure sorted, now for the deployment system. This radically changes. First off, I would remove all the 250 halftracks that come bundled in the deployment and also remove the infantry add ons for the deployments once they get upgraded. What you see is what you get. Also, all call-ins should cost exactly the same, if not a slight premium over, what they cost in the standard tech. The deployment balancing relative to normal tech should basically hinge on a trade off of instant build time but a long recharge rather than the discount system they have in place now. Next, all the deployments has individual upgrades in the Armoury, which change what the call in would be, so that you have more control over what units you have available to call in. 

Note that each deployment requires a different upgrade just to be used for the first time, this upgrade requiring any tier. For the first deployment level, all the units are the same as they are now; Assault Grens, Panzer Jagers, ISG and Pak. However, once you have any side tier, you can upgrade any deployment (presuming you already have the first upgrade of that respective deployment). For example, Assault grenadiers can be replaced with a 232, Panzer Jagers can be replaced with the P3 E, the ISG with the Stug III D and the Pak with the Marder. Finally, once you get any 2 side techs or T3, you can upgrade the deployment again. This time, the 232 becomes a Panzer III, the P3 E becomes a Stug G, the Stug D becomes a Flampanzer and finally the Marder becomes the Flak 36.  Its highly important to stress that each deployment’s upgrades are totally separate from the other deployment upgrades and also that the fuel costs are for demonstrative purposes.

The Logic

So this is how the logic goes. I’ll start with the tiers, a T1 vs T2 split in the early game is just more interesting than linear tech in my opinion. Tier 1 is now cheaper so it should allow players to get MG 34s faster, this is similar to when OKW had their tech and medic upgrades split to make their teching less of an up front cost. Likewise, since the most powerful units of T2 are locked behind side tiers, T2 is much less of a commitment, allowing you to get a Recon HT earlier.  In many ways, this works a lot like how the original PE worked in that you could build the tier to get access to some of the units but others were locked behind an upgrade. This allowed for a lot more flexibility in teching, as no one tech was so much of a commitment. Having T1 unlock the MG34 and T2 unlock MP40s for panzer grens is an interesting nuance that the original PE had and I can’t see how the DAK would be worse off with it. 

T1.5 A is the most infantry orientated tech path, however it lacks heavy weapons of any kind. Its aggressive and mobile. T1.5 B is much more static and support weapon orientated. It’s the most natural ‘camp’ tech path. T2.5 A is again aggressive but this time mechanised, its highly mobile and is somewhat reminiscent of Luchs and P3 E combo in OKW. Finally 2.5 B is mobile, but not quite as mobile, given the vehicles are turretless, their more focused on long range firepower. This setup also removes the original tier 2.5 that would have seen little play, as the Recovery HT is gone and Tier 2.5 B is much more well rounded relative to the other options available.

Once you have one of the tiers, your options become interesting. You can either go for the upgrades in the armoury, side tech into one of the other tiers, either from T1 to T2 from T2 to T1, or indeed for T1.5A to T1.5B or T2.5A to T2.5B, or any combination really, but you can also go straight to T3. You might want to do this to rush out a Flamepanzer in the same way you rush an Ostwind in Coh2, or go for that fast medium. Then in T3 you also have to decide whether to stall for Tiger or get those more powerful support elements. 

There are a plethora of teching paths basically. 

How do the deployments factor into this? Basically by making the other teching choices yet more flexible by giving you the option to call in units that you didn’t tech for in your tech path. For example, let’s say you tech T1 and then T1.5, leaving out possible doctrinal vehicles, how would you get a light vehicle to round out your composition? You could tech T2 or alternatively, you could upgrade Deployment 1 twice and call in a 232. Another example, let’s say you go T2 -> T2.5A, you get a 232 but you your opponent has gone Chafee and you don’t have the fuel for a P3 E or side teching Marder, you could either tech T1 or upgrade deployment 4 and panic call in a Pak. 

The advantage is you can augment whatever your tech choices are and react quickly to your opponent’s choices. Naturally you have to point out the disadvantages. This form of getting units is riskier because if you lose that unit you called in, you’re going to have to wait a whole 6 minutes to call it in again or do the teching afterall. This method, while seemingly a cheaper alternative to teching to certain units, its also is just much less efficient for getting access to all those units. In the example I’ve created, getting all the T1.5 units via deployments is 50 mp 5 fuel more expensive than if you had just teched those units directly, but a straight tech to a Pak is 10 fuel cheaper, assuming you already have T1 in both scenarios. It’s a trade off of flexibility and reproducibility for cheaper straight teching costs. The deployments also don’t give you access to the upgrades.

Changes to Some units

250 HT:

1. This really needs a Pak36 upgrade, for a unit that is clearly designed to add flexibility to the army comp of DAK, I can’t see why a light mobile AT option isn’t there. In my design, this would compliment T1.5A and T1.5B nicely. 

Battlegroup Ideas

The Bf 110 Autocannon Strafing Run would not only be a generally deadlier strafe but would also be of variable length. To illustrate:

Let's say X is your first click and Y is your second, which marks the end and direction of the run, the default run is diagram A, but you can drag the cursor of point Y as far as you want, with a maximum of either 35 range or when you don't have enough munitions banked up for the run. This gives you the flexibility of deciding how much you want to spend and where it will land. A well placed strafe on retreat could be devastating. The cursor should highlight the munitions cost as you drag from point x to point y.

The Supply Trailer requires some explanation. My thinking with this is that its a brand new unit type, which loosely can be defined as a support weapon. How it works is that infantry squads can crew it, push it around, vehicles can tow it, etc. When in a position, it provides an aura which in this case gives nearby units camo and additional construction options. However, the unit shouldn't require pop cap and moreover, you can actually manually decrew it and it will still provide you the benefits. So for example, let's say it spawns in your base and you want to get frontline camo you can crew it with a squad, wheel it over to a house near the frontline and then decrew it. Units within its vicinity would still be benefiting from the aura. When you want to move it, recrew it again, or tow it, to a new location. The beauty of this dynamic is that your opponents can steal these units from you like an ATG, so while they don't take up popcap and would be relatively cheap (say 100 to 150 manpower), you're still incentivised to protect them. You can also attack move them with AT guns etc, potentially with a large AOE explosion, would be interesting to play around it. I think it would make for an fun dynamic, but would need to be coded from scratch. It also indirectly makes tow yet more useful.

The Opel Blitz Fuel Truck should have two effects with the lockdown, when locked down on fuel, it should increase the rate of fuel supply, however when locked down in base, it should reduce fuel cost of the vehicles in the selected structure, so kind of like officer supervision. This would encourage more active micro management of the unit. When it dies it should have a large AOE explosion, meaning friendly units should avoid it and also that it can be driven towards enemy units, kinda like a less efficient Goliath that you can't manually detonate. Top Up Vehicle should be an ability that the unit can be targeted on friendly vehicles. Once done, the target vehicle has faster speed, acceleration and deceleration for a fixed distance. Note this is a fixed distance, instead of time, so if the vehicle doesn't move, it won't 'expend' the ability.

Conclusion

This design has a lot of advantages over the current design. 

• The teching options are signifficantly more diverse, with a non-linear tech tree and fairly esoteric tech options removed.
  • the deployment system is tidied up and tied into the tier system more elegantly. It has a clear cut purpose of adding rounding out your composition and tech choices by allowing you to ‘tech’ certain units without all of the upfront costs while also hving considerable draw backs relative to teching itself. It’s a tradeoff. 
  • Healing is easier.

This is just what I would do anyway, let me know your thoughts.

My Other Designs

- Brit Redesign.

- US Suggestions.

- Wehr Suggestions.

- Soviet Proposal.

- Ostheer Proposal.

- USMC Proposal

- Commonwealth Burma Proposal.

- Japanese Proposal.

- Free French Proposal.

- Italian Proposal.

- Hungarian Proposal.

- Luftwaffe Field Division

My General Feedback 

- Feature Request and Bug Fixes

Updated 4 months ago.
a year ago
Mar 11, 2023, 7:53:57 PM

Alright, having played around with the modding tools, I came up with a Proof of Concept that tackles 95% of the issues I had with the design of DAK: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2945495361

Features

HQ

The HQ hasn't really changed very much, partially because it didn't need to but also because the modding tools didn't really allow for it much in practice. The important thing to note is that T1 or T2 can be constructed right out of the gate, addressing my issue with the linearity.

T1

T1 has now 2 side tiers instead of 1. The first upgrade on the left unlocks the second column and the second upgrade unlocks the third column. After putting my ideas into practice, I swapped the flak halftrack and the Assault Grens in the tech tree. It just made more sense and having played around with it a bit, it plays well.

T2

T2 also has 2 side tiers, the first also unlocking the second column and the second unlocking the third column. The recovery HT is gone and I substituted the Carro Armato for the Puma, as it was the closest alterative for the POC. I also changed the stats of the Carro Armato making it fairly useless against infantry, so it feels basically like the Puma in Coh2 and fits the role I intended for it nicely. Relic would ideally use the real thing though. The other unit that saw changes was...

Panzergrenadiers

They now have the MP40 and MP43 upgrades. MP40s and MG34s were swapped from from original plan, MP40s get unlocked when any T1 side tech is purchased and MG34s come from any T2 side tech. The MP43s come with T3. This upgrade dichotomy adds another interesting dimension to the tech paths.

T3

T3 can be reached when any 2 side techs or any side tech and both T1 and T2 are purchased. This allows for up to 6 different tech paths to T3! Within T3 itself, the entire top row is unlocked immediately. I found in practice, locking the Stug behind the same tech as the Tiger made little sense. The first side tier upgrade unlocks the tiger and the second side tier upgrade unlocks the Stuka and Flak. One nice benefit of this setup is that directly teching Tiger is much cheaper, as you don't need to go through the deployments. Speaking of which...

Deployments

Within the armoury, I moved out all the upgrades to the respective tiers that unlock them, as this made more intuitive sense to me. I kept the grenades and 250 upgrade here, as well as adding an upgrade for base healing. This means you don't have to tech T1 to get heals or use the med truck. As for the deployments, all deployments are locked behind upgrades here, which is what he icons denote. For example, the assault gren icon unlocks the assault gren deployment. Once that is unlocked, you can upgrade the panzer 3 one below it and that will replace that deployment and only that one!

This means you can pick and choose which deployments you want with a lot more granularity. However, the mod tooling currently has a lot of limitations, so I was not able to edit the deployments. This means they still come with the 250, sadly, but presumably we can update this in the future. You're also not able to create new deployments, so the armoury is missing that middle row of deployment upgrades I detailed in my original plan. But for getting the idea across, this works!

Notes

In creating this MOD, I changed the following:

- Assault Grens and Panzerjägers can't repair anymore as I feel this was overkill.

- All upgrades that were in the armoury like grenades etc were reduced in manpower but now have a fuel cost, to balance things out and make teching yet more interesting.

Aside from these changes, I have not touched the balance, as this MOD is purely a POC for the redesign. None of the other factions were changed. Nor were the battlegroups touched.

Conclusion

After having modded my ideas, I'm fairly happy with the result! I addressed 95% of the issues I had with DAK and the remaining ones I couldn't change due to limitations with the MOD tooling. I feel this setup is outright superior to what we have now, it allows for significantly more tech paths, upgrade choices and also makes the Deployment system less of a standalone gimick but something tied into the tech tree nicely. All that remains is to hope Relic takes some inspiration! Give it a go and let me know your thoughts! If anyone has feedback or wants to play with me on it, shoot me a message!

a year ago
Mar 15, 2023, 7:56:13 PM

This is my latest update.

I've been play testing it a fair bit lately and I made some extra changes, these include:

Replacing the Carro Armato in T2 with the Panzer III E

There are quite a lot of unused units in the game files of Coh3, one of these included the Panzer III E. This has a 37mm gun and in game performance similar to a Stuart. So modelling the Puma isn't even needed as we can just use the Panzer III E in its place. I edited the stats slightly and now this vehicle can zip around the battlefield being a light vehicle counter. The Carro Armato is now untouched.

Updates to the Deployment System

After basically hacking the deployment system, I managed to add the 222 as a deployment call in in the middle layer between Assault Grens and the P3 L. It's tied to tech, naturally, so it can be deployed once any T1/T2 side tech is researched, or both T1 and T2 are built. Its not quite as strong as the 8 Rad but it performs the same function.

I also replaced the Leig call in with an MG34 call in, I feel this will see a lot more play than the Leig. 

Additionally I managed to update the Panzerjäger call-in to be purely the squad and not with the 250, making it much easier to call in. 

Having thought about it a bit, I feel the ideal end state would be something like this: 

Basically, the deployment system in my Mod and in my design has the function of allowing yet further Tech Path diversification by enabling you to cheaply tech a specific unit you need that you don't naturally get as part of your tech path. The classic example in my is teching to tier 1.5A (the one with the Pak), which has no light vehicle and using the deployment system to call in a 222 or Flak-halftrack to round out your composition or quickly pivot your strategy, without having to tech T2 or T3 or use battlegroup call-ins or 250 upgrades (although they're all options too! which is what makes it so interesting). Another example would be going the T2 route and calling in Panzerjägers or a Pak as a not fuel based AT solution. It multiplies the viable teching paths and build orders considerably and in my mod, this works perfectly. It has the draw back though of lack of reproducibility (you can only call one in every 6 minutes) and lack of unit flexibility (teching all deployments is expensive relative to normal teching). So its in no way a tech replacement. 

Now, to make the decision even more interesting, what if the units you get through the deployment system, were actually different units from your standard tech? This makes the decision yet more interesting because then it becomes not just a choice of whether to get an 8-Rad through teching or deployments, but instead should I get a 222 through the deployment system or should I tech 8 rad? Should I get tech T3 and get either a Panzer III, Flammpanzer or Flak 36 or should I use the deployments to get a Panzer IV, Whirlbelwind or PAk43 respectively? The decision becomes yet more nuanced than it already was, especially if the deployment units are either better or worse, at different price points or perform the same role but in fundamentally difffernt ways (like the different between the Flammpanzer and the Whirbelwind). It also adds to the diversity, never a bad thing. So from my example above, you could get the MG42 through the deployment system over the MG34, but it would be at a premium and you'd have basically 'blown' your deployment on that unit and have to wait a further 6 minutes before you can call in something else. 

All the units above are already in the game or at least in the game files. For the Marder we could use the Marder III for Wehr but I also noted references in the game files to the Panzerjäger I Tank Destroyer, which would also be interesting. The 251/17 Flak Halftrack is in the game files for Wehr but not yet used anywhere, likewise with the Pak43.

Currently I haven't been able to get the Deployment system precisely to my liking, due to limitations within the mod tools, but at some later date I will up date it to the system I detail here, presuming its not put into the game proper (which it really should! its way more interesting than the current system).

Swapping Upgrades

I moved the self repair upgrade to T3 and moved the advanced repair upgrade to T2. It just made more sense:

Battlegroup Changes

The first change I did was to replace the Flammpanzer in the Armored Support battlegroup:

This is the Stoßtruppen 251 Callin from Wehr. I don't have a particularly strong reason to use this call-in but given the limitations of the tools, there were limited options available and this seemed reasonable. Whether it should stay there in the long term, I don't have strong opinions, I just wanted to replace the Flammpanzer. 

Techwise, this call-in is tied to any T1/T2 side tech or both T1 and T2 being built. The Command P4 now requires T3. 

For the Italian Combined Arms battlegroup, the Semovente and Carro Armatto require either any T1/T2 side tech or both T1 and T2 being built. 

Finally for Italian Infantry Battlegroup, the L6/40 requires either any T1/T2 side tech or both T1 and T2 being built. 

All of the above it to purge call-in meta from the game. I'd frankly prefer if the L6/40 call-in was individual rather than as a pair but I can't change that.

Conclusion

I think that's as much as I can hack right now. The mod is up to date on Steam so check it out! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2947341907

Once I can change more I will do so. 

Relic, you know it makes sense.

a year ago
Mar 15, 2023, 8:22:36 PM

Glad to see someone with similar thoughts. I've been playing around with a similar write-up, but I'm not nearly as far. The difference for me is that I went with trucks / medtrucks for my call-in replacements, but kept 250s as the basic call-in so that they can still be integral to the 'feel'. E.g. Pz. Pio in a medtruck / Pz. Grens in a regular truck that can be upgraded into a med truck / Pz. Jaegers in a 250 / 2x 250s.

Upgrades would look something like Pz. Jaegers + truck + Pak since the trucks can fit two units. Trucks would be sellable at full health for something like 25 MP/ 10 Munis.

I also integrated doctrines into the call-ins E.g. Italian infantry would upgrade the Pz. Grens in a truck to Gustatori in a truck. Armored support would upgrade 250s to 251s etc. I feel this is an easier sell to Relic's paymasters since it would drive DLC commanders more.

My biggest problem with the call-in system currently is you get to many 250s for them to be good, but then you have to basically throw them away. Also at 18 minutes I probably don't want any of the regular call-ins, but the whole economy is kinda based around getting practically a free unit every 6 minutes.

I'd also increase call-in cost to something like 300, and slow down the timer so there is an 'opt-out' option, and the regular units can be more reasonable. Something like 8 minutes for call-in, and each tier upgrade reduces call-in timer by 1 minute.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 15, 2023, 8:27:54 PM

Exactly! Having actually modded DAK I began to realise how much of a prop that deployment system was. The discounts are ridiculous, but without them DAK run into all kinds of manpower issues. You hit the nail on the head, the economy is busted. I also agree that the 250s make no sense when bundled into the deployment system but due to the MOD tool limitations I can't get rid of them yet. I love 250s but the way they're bundled into things makes no sense. 

a year ago
Mar 19, 2023, 9:30:19 PM

In terms of recent updates, I managed to get the MG34 as a standalone deployment in the deployment system. I also managed to fix Panzergrenadier weapons stats so they behave more like a standard rifle squad.

a year ago
Mar 25, 2023, 4:09:49 PM

This will ideally be my last update for a while, here are the changes I made:

Removal of Free Abilities

A lot of abilities in Coh3 that would have had a cost in Coh2, have now had a cost added to them.

Adding Tow

I gave the medical truck tow, seems to be just a bug that it didn't have it before.

Passive Bonuses from Upgrades Rework

So having more or less fixed the tech structure issues, I went into the fine grain work of the actual abilities of the units. One of the elements of DAK that I really don't like are the passive abilities that most vehicles get as upgrades become unlocked. I think having utility abilities unlock from upgrades is fine, but my issues with it are 3 fold:

The first is the smoke abilities on a variety of the light vehicles. This the same as the Panzer Tactician ability in Coh2 and really should have been one of those abilities that didn't make it into Coh3. It often amounts to a get out of jail free card, takes no skill to use 95% of the time and relative to the smoke barrage ability, its not not as skilful, versatile or interesting. I basically replaced its usage in DAK in all cases except for:

- Utility Truck

- Medical Truck

- 254 Recon Vehicle.

- 250 Mortar Variant.

- Kradschützen.

Adding it to the Kradschützen was too much to resist, its incredibly satisfying zipping across an MGs arc and dropping smoke, only to zip through the other side. It really helps with its survivability too into the late game, when it can be basically 1 shot, so I feel this is an exception to the rule. 

The second the fact that most of the abilities are passive. Passive abilities basically take no thought to use and do not act as a player skill differentiator. Skilled players have the thought of mind to make use of abilities you must activate whereas less skilled players do not, but if they're passive it takes away that skill factor! You also end up with a weird situation where in the late game you basically don't need infantry anymore as your vehicles capture territory and can repair themselves, have a look at this game: 

https://youtu.be/duZBCVo5yck?t=2077

Note how the DAK player has 6 vehicles and only 1 squad of infantry, but they are still fine. 

The two changes I made were to make the self repair ability a timed ability that you pay munitions for and I also separated the Rapid Advance passive abilities (ie territory capture and speed buffs) into 2 separate abilities. Territory capture is still passive but requires the vehicle to be out of combat. Ideally it should function like the territory capture mode on T34s in Coh2 but I wasn't able to get that to work in. The speed buffs are moved into a Blitz ability which the player must pay munitions for and the passive elements of the upgrade are removed. 

Finally, one more experimental change I made was to actually make the abilities mutually exclusive on a vehicle by vehicle basis. So once you have the tech upgrades, which give their usual health and scaling bonuses, you have to decide of all the utility abilities you want each vehicle to have:

This is not only more interesting from an opportunity cost perspective, but it also makes vehicles for the DAK less 'all singing, all dancing, do everything' units in the late game. Relative to the MG and Side armour upgrades that most vehicles in Coh have, these are significantly more interesting. I also removed all these abilities from the Italian tanks so that they scale less and discourage players from relying on call-in meta. This one I'm a bit more on the fence about. 

Missing Changes

In terms of what I can't change which I would like to change, these include:

- Giving the 250 a 37mm AT upgrade. This would enable yet further build order flexibility and give you a light vehicle counter that is available from the HQ. 

- Giving Panzerjägers a Schreks upgrade once you have T3. 

- Swapping the Bolster ability for Bersaglieri for something a bit more interesting and merging this into the Squad Leader Upgrade as part of standard tech. The battlegroup bolster is just boring.

- Finishing the deployment system, due to mod limitations it lacks half of the call-in layers. 

- Giving the Utility Truck that comes with the Flak 36/Italian 105 a medical conversion. So if you lose the weapon you can still make use of the tow truck.

- Giving the P3 E a 50mm Upgun upgrade once T3 is unlocked. This upgrade exists in the game files but doesn't have the effect you'd expect it to have. This would allow this unit to scale into the lategame and basically be the equivalent of the same tank in T3. 

- Giving Panzerpios some buildable garrison. As a builder unit, they don't really have an interesting structure they can build that isn't tied to a battlegroup. I was thinking something Watchtowers:

So when I say watchtower, I’m thinking the tall wooden structures that are somewhat of a WW2 cliché. I’m thinking around 100-150 manpower. Garisonable but also vulnerable to small arms. It would allow players to take advantage of the COH3 ‘verticality’ mechanics by allowing garisoned squads to see over short buildings and shoot over walls etc. Upgrades you could have would be:

• Crow's Nest. This would basically increase LOS in all directions and be useful for seeing incoming attacks.
  • MG Nest. This would outfit the bunker with an MG. However, unlike MG bunkers, you would be able to manually change the direction of the MG. 360 degree area denial but vulnerable to small arms.
  • Sandbags. No longer vulnerable to small arms and has more health. Basically becomes a hardpoint. The ideal would be to put an MG in a watchtower with sandbags, but that would obviously be more expensive.

These are basically all the changes I would like to make but can't. If the mod tools get better I will have another go. Its in Relic's hands now!

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 31, 2023, 8:46:11 PM

Great suggestions, if i might, placing the Stug III G, Panzer IV, Panzerjaëger squad in T3 base building with the ability to upgrade with side skirts (Just like the Wher faction). Placing the Stug III G within the same space as the Marder III would (kinda) make an overlap and it is best suited alongside with the Panzer IV in T3, up there where the Crusaders, Shermans, M3 Grant and Matilda tanks and such would be a fair balance vs. their counterpart and timing production wise (Mid to late game). 

The current problems with the actual  DAK mid to late game design are several (but important points nonetheless) :

- The tickrate of VPs are 25% faster, which means that games end sooner than they were in CoH 2, and that lead to my following point, the upgrade cost to get the Stugs III G and Panzer IV call-ins are very expensive to invest (550 manpower and 280 fuel for both the Panzerarmee Kommand and the Armored Reserves) which is a ridiculous amount of resources to get these armors fielded just in time. In most games 3v3 and 4v4, while the Shermans, Crusaders and possibly Matildas and M3 Grant are fielded way earlier than these call-in forces, the DAK player had to strictly rely to Marder III and Flak 36 and Panzer III, and possibly Panzer jaeger with half-track call-in, plus mines to counter medium Allies armor spam and in the meantime he had to wait extra minutes or even wait a whole dozen minutes but then the game will already end before he will get to these call-ins most of the time.

- While the Marder III, Panzer III and Flak 36 are good anti-tank units in their own respective roles, they still remain vulnerable especially to Allies armor superiority (in terms of numbers) and to heavy intense artillery barrage (both off-maps and the fielded artillery/ SPG) plus the air call-in loiter especially during 3v3 and 4v4 matches. The Marder III despite having a good Pak 40 mounted on its chassis and being cost effective and having a long range, it's still vulnerable to flank, it had a squishy HP pool, very low armor and can die quickly. The Panzer III L with its long-barrel 50mm gun, with a thinner armor and a shorter HP pool than most mediums tanks in the game can't survive while battling against Allies armor spam especially to Shermans and M3 Grant even if you do spam them and taking account of the upgrades, it is still not enough. The Flak 36 while being a powerful anti-air and anti-tank gun, it is not flexible when you want to make offensives maneuvers, so it is best suited for defenses. But even in defense, the Flak 36 is a sitting duck to off-map artillery, to mortars, to other artillery guns, to infantry blob and plane bombing runs because it needs to be stationary in order to be operable. Meanwhile, the Panzer IV and Stug III G offers solutions not only via their firepower (because they got obviously potent 75mm KwK 40 anti-tank gun mounted on their chassis/turret) but they also have thicker front armor and a larger HP pool than both the Panzer III L and the Marder III in the game, so in team games, especially 3v3 and 4v4, not only they will get decent firepower against medium allies tank and possibly heavy tanks but also comes with more survivability, more durable during intense combat situations. 

- The call-in don't leave the DAK player any choice but to simply being forced to get tech upgrade to access these call-in which are themselves also expensive and always come with another unit instead of a single one and that always take a fifth of the overall pop cap, (in that case the Panzer IV comes with an Assault Grenadier and the Stug 3 with another Stug). That's why it is best suited to  leave an option for the player to produce a single StuG, a single Panzer IV or a single Panzerjaëger squad which cost are drastically reduced, and their pop cap are substantially reduced as well. Then it is also being able to spam multiple of those units individually and being able to mix them up in the army build which bring more flexibility in the end.

For the 8 Rad Armored car, it can be converted into a Sdkfz. 234/2 Puma instead of having two separate armored car, let the player decide if he want to keep his armored car vs. infantry or he want to upgrade with a 50mm gun (same way as CoH 1 Sdkfz 234) to counter vehicles such as the M24 Chaffee or the Stuart, and having an ability to flank enemy armor compared to the Marder III which seems to struggle since it's an SPG tank destroyer with a main gun fixed on its chassis, the Puma, on the other hand, have more flexibility with its turret.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Apr 1, 2023, 11:08:18 AM
Neo_1100 wrote:

Great suggestions, if i might etc

Literally all the issues raised in the post are addressed in the mod I created, not quite by the same approach.

Teching up is not only cheaper but more granular, allowing you to go for the units you actually want. The halftrack deployments are made more sane, although not quite to the extent which I want, by making them individual unit call-ins and the cost to upgrade the call-ins are spread out among several upgrades rather than 1 big bang upgrade. As for the 8 Rad, rather than a conversion, there's another unit which serves the exact same role as the one you described and it exists for the exact same reasons. 

Largely we agree on the issues, with slight variations on the solutions. 

The minor point I would disagree on though is adding armoured skirts to Dak units, at least without a battlegroup. Armoured Skirts are a boring upgrade in many ways because all it does is passively make your tank better against side armour hits. That's fine if there needs to be a method by which DAK armour scales better into the late game but that can be achieved, and is achieved, in the master version of DAK through those armoury upgrades. Now, one way of making side skirts interesting would be to make it mutually exclusive with the pintle machine gun. This way as a player, you have to decide whether you want to have your tank better against infantry or more survivable, which might change from unit to unit and situation to situation. That way these upgrades will have trade offs, rather than something you default buy because 'there's no reason not to'.  This is similar to Panzer Elite offensive vs defensive vet and also the choice in OKW between the Tank Commander and the Pintle. Those were interesting choices! This is what I think should happen to Wehr.

How this manifests in my mod is by making the late game utility abilities (smoke, blitz, self-repair) mutually exclusive. It works well, check it out!

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Apr 5, 2023, 8:51:08 AM

I've updated the original post to be more reflective of the changes in the Mod. 

I also made one more change where instead of the deployment upgrades being linear, you can now pick and choose which ones you want, enabling more flexible progression through the upgrades.

a year ago
Apr 5, 2023, 1:31:50 PM
NorthWestFresh wrote:

Based on what was Done to Factions in Coh2, Dumbing them down significantly, take away the Risks in tech choices by insuring every tier no matter which one everysingle base was covered(soviets) and by doing that taking away much of the strategic depth from the faction..... and OKW for sure 100% basically taking away all of the strategic depth from the faction turning it into a brainless spam volksgrens to whatever blah.... I remember the uniqueness of okw when it came out how your entire base was mobile and you couldnt be cut off cause of that but your rescource income was vey slow/ units very powerful .... man it was fun  so Unique  and then when the community pushed its redesign oh man did the faction become boring and spammy and well yeah just lame

Compared to the brilliance of what it was in Relics initial vision to what it became , yeah I am fully against community based redesigns becuase in general they have dumbed down the potential, uniqueness , of the factions quite a bit and as a result the game became well pretty boring and stale compared to what it could've been and was based on relics original vision.

so Yeah I prefer Relics  vision their original and true vision  over drastic changes done by the community all for the sake  of  "balance" or competiveness .... cause generally going in the community  pushed narrative imo its done a lot to ruin the game of coh2...      All the maps taken out of automatch  except for 3 or 4 basic maps that all played exactly the same way... then they  ruined the maps that were still in.... just look at what angoville was .... and what it became ugh it became such a stupid ugly map  after the balance people changed and same with most maps they took out so much features  and made them play stagnant it was not good for the game at all......and It really sucked too this minority of so called pro players dictating like hitler what everyone else has to play  god it sucked. and its sad.

I really hope that doesn't happen here.  but then agian I dunno if thei game is even gonna survive much longer the way its going  :::( 

Sounds like you need some therapy! You seem to have had a traumatic experience from Coh2 :).

I agree with you, who knows if Coh3 will even survive a year given the current atmosphere. Regarding the changes to OKW, I disagree with that one, I think the changes were positive overall and I love the way OKW plays in Coh2, its my favourite faction. From what I remember of the original OKW, they were a complete mess, with Panzerschrek volk blobs and generally not being terribly good. The one feature that I miss from the original implementation was that resource conversion feature, not sure why that was removed, I wasn't really playing Coh2 at the time. 

As for fear of dumbing down DAK, have you played my mod? They make it more complex if anything. I'm very much in favour of the community having more say on how to balance/design the factions in Coh3, because we're ultimately the ones who play it.

a year ago
Apr 11, 2023, 8:45:40 PM

This is another great example of how bust the DAK endgame design is: https://youtu.be/ggpfAuTH9rQ?t=2270. 

The passive repairs, free smoke etc make infantry completely pointless in DAK and vehicles capable of doing everything. I'm more convinced that ever that these not only should not be passive but also mutually exclusive at the squad level.

a year ago
Apr 29, 2023, 1:01:27 PM

In keeping with my suggestion regarding global upgrades here: https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/forums/9-coh3-feedback/threads/4952-feature-request-and-bug-fix-request-compendium?page=2#post-31573

I would argue that DAK need to improve the UI of a bunch of their global upgrades. For AP Rounds, a box of shells on the back of the vehicles that benefit from them would do the trick. For the halftrack upgrade, some sandbags draped over the bonnet of the 250. For advanced repairs, having a Panzer Grenadier model with a backpack of tools would be nice. For the Smoke Dischargers and Vehicle Survivability, this is an interesting one. Currently there's no indication that these upgrades improve the health of the vehicles they upgrade, without looking at the portrait, so I would again make some visual change after these upgrades are done, like actually having the smoke dischargers modelled on the vehicle, a box of tools for or again using something obvious like sandbags draped over the vehicle. 

Moreover, I would actually argue that the health buffing component of these upgrades should be extracted in its own upgrade, as currently the health buff component inflates the cost of these upgrades out of proportion to what the upgrade is ostensibly about. If there was a third upgrade for the health buffs located on that final upgrades row (or in Tier 3 in my version), then the upgrades could be more finely priced and balanced. The visibility indicators could also be tailored to more accurately reflect the advantage they provide.  

Its a fine grain change at the end of the day.

a year ago
Apr 29, 2023, 6:10:49 PM

Its so sad, that Relic just dont care and cant even appraise your work. Not even simple answer. So sad...

a year ago
Apr 30, 2023, 1:54:59 PM
Prostenall wrote:

Its so sad, that Relic just dont care and cant even appraise your work. Not even simple answer. So sad...

You wouldn't expect them to reply openly to faction redesigns like this though, its not Relic's style but also what would they reply? 'Yeah sure, let's just tear up our ideas for you'. And its hard to imagine them openly debating with every faction proposal that gets posted. 

I have faith though that feedback like this will make it's impact on the design of the faction in the long term, I got the impression from their recent stream that a major shakeup of DAK is on their minds. Which is a good thing, as it seems that its every couple of days a new thread calling for a DAK Redesign is created. 

My one concern though is that the piecemeal balance changes they have done so far are a bit pointless if a complete faction overhaul comes along and shakes up the design of the faction entirely. It would be more efficient if they went straight to the redesigns now.

10 months ago
Jun 30, 2023, 10:43:31 AM

With just seing you want to use the concept of COH 2 ( Allied sided game ) I already know where this is going. Totally no.

10 months ago
Jun 30, 2023, 10:51:25 AM

There are some good ideas but the idea to nerf the passive buffs for example is totally bad and negative for DAK wich rellies totally on this buffs to success at lategame and even midgame, so I would say you should change that nerf bc it´s totally negative for the faction and not neccesary at all, as you said before, in COH2 it works like that, that why people hated a lot COH2 and most of the people still preffered the 1, bc you are forcing people to chose instead of letting them use everything to create an strat, so next time stop focusing on forcing people to chose, this is not school bro.

10 months ago
Jun 30, 2023, 5:56:09 PM
EricSoldadito wrote:

stop focusing on forcing people to chose, this is not school bro.

Regarding DAK being undertuned in the mid-lategame, I think this is a cart before the horse situation. If DAK lategame teching wasn't so expensive and their manpower issues so apparent, would they actually be so reliant on these passive buffs? My vote is fixing the underlying issue rather than trying to compensate for it with badly designed abilities. 

Regarding choice, why do we have battlegroups if everyone should have access to everything?

?

Click here to login

Comment