Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

UI thread by OS

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 7:48:56 PM

Hello gents!

Happy to see, that many people pay attention to UI, and i want to give my 5 cents as well. Here is what bring my attention.

Customization Menu

I could separate issues here on several cathegories:

1. Forgotten placeholders

2. Broken visual design

3. Incorrect icons from CoH 3 asset

Forgotten placeholders

USF

1. Recon squad, riflemen, and tank hunter squad using shieldsymbols from CoH 2. They have lower quality (due to 64x64 resolution) and different design (not schematic and with deeper black surrounding)

2. US Jeep, M3 halftruck and M8 Greyhound using shieldsymbols from CoH 2. They have lower quality (due to 64x64 resolution) and deeper black surrounding.

Also, USF Jeep using icon and shieldsymbol from WC51

3. US AT Gun using shieldsymbol from soviet ZiS-3 At Gun from CoH 2.

4. US M24, M18, M4A1(75) and M4A3(105) using shieldsymbols from CoH 2 (Valentine, M10, M4A3 and M4A3(105) respectfuly)

UKF

1. British truck uses icon and shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Opel Blitz.

2. British Bishop artillery uses icon and shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Sexton.

3. British Grant uses shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Centaur and icon from CoH 2 Sherman.

Wehrmacht

1. Flakpanzer IV uses shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Ostwind.

2. Flak 30 uses shieldsymbol from CoH 2 M-42 soviet AT Gun

3. Nebelwerfer using icon and shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Land Matress

4. Sturmpanzer IV uses shieldsymbol from CoH 2 counterpart

DAK

1. SdKfz 254 using shieldsymbol from CoH 2 WC51

2. Stuka zu Fuss using shieldsymbol from CoH 2 counterpart

3. DAK motorcycle using icon and shieldsymbol from CoH 2 Kubelwagen

Broken visual design

US Infantry

As far as i see, the design for portraits Includes unit symbol, painted (not screenshoted) portrait + bright background. Suddenly DLC portraits not following the same design code and looks like addition from different artist.

US Vehicles

As far as i see, the design for portraits Includes vehicle itself with high brightness (or it is vehicle with pre-updated textures) + bright background . Suddenly, DLC aternatives not following the same design concept, they have different angle, have players colour on them and lack of background.

Other

1. US alt HQ has different lightning, positioning and misses bulding shieldsymbol on it

2. DLC VP point has different icon design. Better get same position and angle for it, and add bright background.

Incorrect CoH 3 assets

1. Wehrmacht Panzer IV using shieldsymbol from DAK Panzer III

2. Wehrmacht 251 using shieldsymbol from DAK 250

Additional suggestions

1. Will be cool to get some 3D Demonstration for applying elements, thankfully there is enough space for it

2. If number 1 is to much, at least move eqip button somewhere closer to the loadoud menu

Unit portrait

As i can see, portrait appearing above the dafult UI, that's why it runs out of edges

Will be good to adapt portraits to the interface. Quick edit already giving result from this

To this

I also increased the HP bar to make it more recognisable.

Other problem - vehicle portraits showing models with pre-updated textures (without any "attrition", will be cool to see them in current state)

Size of symbols on the tacmap

They could be smaller, because more than 2 units in the same area becomes unreadable

Example how it could be atm

Also it can get more option for mass regimes. Here is old concept from my thread about CoH 2

Fortifications on the mini/tac map

Currently have mostly the same symbols, why not give them some specific symbols depends on role (medstation/aa/at/ai/repstation and etc.)
How it looks like atm (we have bunker, at fortification, and aa fortification, attention on minimap how they marked - mostly same symbols)

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 8:13:21 PM

Like the amount of work you put in to really showcase..

UI design need some serious work

a year ago
Feb 28, 2023, 8:40:06 PM
Ladas wrote:

Like the amount of work you put in to really showcase..

UI design need some serious work

Well, i am not familiar enough with editing tools on this site (before published all my articles on coh2.org), but i will look how to make it looks more comfortable to read.

Thank you for feedback, also likes your thread about visuals

a year ago
Mar 1, 2023, 7:27:57 PM

Doctrine selection

I think current design not optimal, colour of commander points overlap sometimes with icons (i am sure it will be a problem even when assets will be updated). That's why i would like to suggest small adjustment to make it easier to recognise. royal navy has adjusted design, royal air keep current one for comparison

Update on unit portraits

1. Added example with small adjustment in the main post to see what is wrong with edges of the portrait. Little edit make it better.

2. Current HP bar looks very tiny in my eyes, on the edge of the screen it's not always easy to see it. I think will be good to make X2 wider.

Screenshot of current situation

How it could be

Wording of available units in tiers

Currently it is a mssive of text. Why not make to be as a list, so it's easier to recognise each unit?

a year ago
Mar 4, 2023, 10:20:32 AM

Faction selection

Currently you have to open special menu, click on faction and then click equip. Why not just make small menu (like in vCoH or CoH2) with one-click selection? Current sub-menu for that imo is excess.

Naming of the units and transaprency between factions in terms of portraits and names

I don't really like, when text runs out of edges. In CoH2 it leads to breaking the edges, and that's one of the reasons why i started to work on improved text localization for it. In CoH3 was applied "running" text, when it's bigger than area for it. That disturbing and can be fixed by optimization of wording.

Let's take first example

I will abstract from their performance, let's give a base that they are equal in the performance. What's wrong with them? I think the problems are:
1. Different positioning on the protrait (one smaller, other is bigger)
2. They have different name
Do they look the same? Yes, they have same model, but different camo. At the same time, their portraits and names are different. Considering the fact, that we have two German factions, will be good to keep some transparency in names and portraits between them. These two should be called like "StuG III Ausf. G Assault Gun". It will give some connection between them, and give some theme connection with other german vehicles like "Panzer IV Ausf. G Medium Tank" or "StuG III D Assault Gun" and etc. And will give clear easy remembering and well known name for them.

Here is another example

Here are other problems:
1. Unit symbol located not in the same place

2. They have the same name, but squads are not the same in terms of role and performance

3. They have same unit symbol

This is the opposit example. Two differnet units looks the same in turms of UI, that's not good. They should get different symbol and name to not confusing anybody in the game.

As a conclution, what i propose
1. Same units between factions (first of all, vehicles and team weapons) should have same portrait with faction additions (different camo and different colour of background)
2. Name of the units should be short, recognisable and systemized between factions. For germans we can stick with SdKfz + type of unit name for light vehciles (for example SdKfz 231 Armored Car or SdKfz 251/1 Half-track) and Special name (+ modification if there are several versions) + type for medium and heavy vehicles (for example Panzer IV Command Tank or Panzer IV Ausf. G Medium Tank or Tiger I Heavy Tank and etc.)
3. Units of the same class should have same naming system (like all HMG has naming system "[HMG Model] Heavy machine gun" or AT-Guns have "[Gun model] + caliber + Anti-tank gun" or "[name of the medium tank] + Medium Tank" for Medium tanks
4. Different units shouldn't have same unit symbol or name to avoid confusion for players.
5. Infantry squads shouldn't have "squad" in the name, it is excess. Exception is when we have several versions of the same squad (like Infantry Section and Tank Hunter Section) and don't have any unique names for them.
5. Yellow text should mention the general role + special role (if exist), without deep description like DAK panzergrens have. If you want to give some more info, add UI symbol with deep description in the menu on the left from the portrait.

It will give organisation, that all factions created unique, but following the same rules of design.
P.S. I am not suggesting to redo infantry portraits to be in the same position and angle (it's much of work), but for vehicles it's shouldn't be a problem.

Updated a year ago.
a year ago
Mar 5, 2023, 4:22:30 PM

Wrecks
Space between strings to wide and text runs out of edges.

Arc of Fire

dots for short range should be used if there is not limits for close range (because they become clumpsy)

Ability reload animation

Difficult to recognise, how low to wait until it's ready. Add some colour highlight like in vCoH or CoH2.

to something like this

a year ago
Mar 5, 2023, 4:35:15 PM

Great work @Osinyagov - I always appreciated your efforts on .org, and glad to see you keeping up your efforts here. 

a year ago
Mar 5, 2023, 4:46:42 PM

A few things i've noticed off the top of my head:

1. WM Kettenkrad has a camo ability icon showing the OkW Kubelwagen (that unit isn't even in this game)
  2. US Armored Battlegroup icon shows the Sherman Whizzbang, which is a unit for the Special Operations Battlegroup
  3. WM Mechanized Assault ability shows American soldiers instead of German soldiers (it's an old CoH2 icon)
  4. Certain units (mostly DAK, it seems) have the wrong UI text on them, so for example a full unit description instead of just "Anti-infantry / Support" or whatever their label is supposed to be. I've noticed this on some DAK infantry but it probably exists on other units. A unit's full description is only supposed to show if you hover over their label.
  5. Lots of icons and symbols are recycled CoH2 placeholders, often showing the wrong units, weapons or abilities. One example: the WM grenade launcher has a PIAT symbol.
  6. Certain Battlegroups have wonky UI boxes when the Battlegroup name text is too long for a single line of the UI. You can see this by viewing the Battlegroups in the lobby before a game and comparing all three at a time.

If I spot anything else UI-related I'll post it here for you. There are lots of things like this, but mostly it's a case of recycling old placeholder icons.

a year ago
Mar 5, 2023, 8:06:24 PM
Toljus wrote:

A few things i've noticed off the top of my head:

1. WM Kettenkrad has a camo ability icon showing the OkW Kubelwagen (that unit isn't even in this game)
  2. US Armored Battlegroup icon shows the Sherman Whizzbang, which is a unit for the Special Operations Battlegroup
  3. WM Mechanized Assault ability shows American soldiers instead of German soldiers (it's an old CoH2 icon)
  4. Certain units (mostly DAK, it seems) have the wrong UI text on them, so for example a full unit description instead of just "Anti-infantry / Support" or whatever their label is supposed to be. I've noticed this on some DAK infantry but it probably exists on other units. A unit's full description is only supposed to show if you hover over their label.
  5. Lots of icons and symbols are recycled CoH2 placeholders, often showing the wrong units, weapons or abilities. One example: the WM grenade launcher has a PIAT symbol.
  6. Certain Battlegroups have wonky UI boxes when the Battlegroup name text is too long for a single line of the UI. You can see this by viewing the Battlegroups in the lobby before a game and comparing all three at a time.

If I spot anything else UI-related I'll post it here for you. There are lots of things like this, but mostly it's a case of recycling old placeholder icons.

Thank you for feedback! I was planning to mention all spotted placeholders by myself, but this elephant is to big, very-very big, even for me. So i decided to concentrate on issues with design of UI and QoL. Some other threads over here are also very detailed, like Euan's one! Hope Relic can accumulate them and give us good and polished UI, or at least options to edit it.

P.S. It is very sad, that editing of text localization is locked as well.

a year ago
Mar 5, 2023, 8:38:56 PM

very well put in my opinion Skins should also have diffrent Portraits in Game otherwise its really jarring

?

Click here to login

Comment