Logo Platform
Company of Heroes 3
Universe banner wording

Challenges

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Apr 7, 2023, 5:11:43 AM

While I know there's been a lot of mostly negative feedback about challenges, I'll try to be brief and add my own two cents on this system and what can make it actually decent/better than what CoH 2 has.

For simple quality of changes:
-Challenges should auto complete when they're fulfilled, meaning you don't have to press accept to receive the reward for them. If that's unacceptable than remove the timer for accepting completed challenge rewards.
-Challenges should be able to be rerolled, with you getting one reroll a day for either the weekly or daily challenges.
-Stop players from getting the same challenges twice in a row, meaning if you complete your daily on Monday, and login on Thursday to play again, you won't get the same daily you had previously. With challenges not being universal but player specific, this would be a welcome change to keep them varied.

-Have faction specific challenges limited, meaning you can't get three weekly challenges for three different factions one week and then three general weekly challenges the next week. Just limit this to one faction specific weekly and one faction specific daily.

For systemic changes:

-Perform a pass on challenges to reduce the numbers required for many of these, they shouldn't be the sole focus of the player in order to complete them, but a fun bonus for playing and an incentive to try new strategies/builds. This is not a F2P title, players will buy skins to support the game if they're having fun and the system is fair.
-Remove the limitations on challenges that require you to complete them in one game. Building 20 tank traps across multiple games or wiping squads across multiple games means you don't have to intentionally prolong a match just to complete your challenge.
-Give players merit points for completing matches, say +5 for losing and +10 for winning. This means those that just want to play the game optimally can also unlock cool cosmetics as the game develops. If challenges auto complete when requirements are met, players may notice this as well and get more engaged in the system. Or not. Either way this would make unlocking cosmetics feel much more fun and fair for players. Include some restrictions on this similar to what CoH 2 did, like only counting matches that go on for a certain length to avoid players exploiting this.

UI/store change:
-Allow players to view ALL locked skins in their loadout screen, with a filter to hide/show these. That way when customizing armies players can more easily choose what they want, and get excited to try and unlock certain skins. Have the skins on rotation in the store discounted by 15% or so to keep that part of the store relevant, maybe even a little exciting.

Believe it or not I was really looking forward to this system when it was announced pre-release; the idea of a more fair CoH 2 unlock system with all this army customization, unlocked just by playing the game with optional challenges to encourage playing other factions or using different strategies... ...It was a really cool selling point for me.

Right now you can only unlock with merit 4-6 cosmetics at a time, you can't view anything based on unit or faction in your loadouts screen, and you can't get cosmetics just from playing the game. You HAVE to complete the challenges and you HAVE to check the store to see if something you want is there, and if not then there's nothing to really excite you, no cool looking cosmetic to try and unlock. That's not to even get into the absurd numbers and time requirements for a lot of these challenges, let alone the lack of thought that went into some of them. I hope the system is improved to become more of what I hoped for pre-release than the current system which doesn't respect your time and should be in a F2P mobile game rather than a triple A RTS.

a year ago
Apr 12, 2023, 1:57:45 AM

Yeah good points. I would like to see some merits earned for finishing a game. Although, I could see people joining a game and then go AFK to gain merits, so I would put something in place to stop AFKs like being in the game for a certain time.

5 months ago
Dec 25, 2023, 1:47:58 AM

+1 bump.

I especially like the reroll you mention (I've mentioned this in a thread of myself).

And while I understand that a lot of players enjoy this game as a MP/PvP game, I do not. I play SP only, and as such getting the "win X mp matches" or "win X coop matches" are just unachievable for me.
This is not a game breaker, yet. But I can definetly say that having the option to reroll would greatly enhance this feature for me!!!

4 months ago
Jan 7, 2024, 11:31:21 AM

+1 bump again...

This is getting out of hand.
After the last patch, I now more often than not sit with 2-3 challenges that pertain to MP or COOP every day, this includes weekly.
Last week I had one daily challenge being for MP/coop every day.
This week I got two weekly that are for MP/COOP, and todays daily was one challenge for MP.
If I'd been able to do a reroll, I would've used that on the +400 merit challenge. , as I'd never get to complete that as it stands.

I've stated before that this isn't game breaking for me... Well, it's getting there now.

4 months ago
Jan 18, 2024, 9:38:02 AM

Are you kidding me?
This is just stupid at this point...
Fix the challenges ffs!

4 months ago
Jan 18, 2024, 2:32:42 PM
AbZurd wrote:

Are you kidding me?
Fix the challenges ffs!

I understand your frustration here and I appreciate the feedback. Just so I'm delivering this feedback to the team accurately, could you clarify for me the modes that you're primarily playing? I'm assuming mostly Skirmish and maybe Campaign? Thanks.  :)

4 months ago
Jan 18, 2024, 5:49:20 PM
John_RE wrote:
AbZurd wrote:

Are you kidding me?
Fix the challenges ffs!

I understand your frustration here and I appreciate the feedback. Just so I'm delivering this feedback to the team accurately, could you clarify for me the modes that you're primarily playing? I'm assuming mostly Skirmish and maybe Campaign? Thanks.  :)

You are exactly right.
Skirmish and Campaign are the sole modes that I play.

4 months ago
Feb 1, 2024, 8:31:27 AM

This is just to show that it happens quite frequently.

3 months ago
Feb 3, 2024, 8:42:10 PM

I play CoH 3 in German, maybe it's the translation but "kill 15 infantry with vehicles" takes me ages because it's not clear which kind of vehicle counts as a vehicle. Either it has to be listed somehow or it has to be named more clearly in the UI or a challenge counter is displayed during the game where I can then see which kill of which vehicle counts for the challenge. As it is now I have to guess and that is extremely annoying.

3 months ago
Feb 3, 2024, 10:05:15 PM
Heavyflame wrote:

I play CoH 3 in German, maybe it's the translation but "kill 15 infantry with vehicles" takes me ages because it's not clear which kind of vehicle counts as a vehicle. Either it has to be listed somehow or it has to be named more clearly in the UI or a challenge counter is displayed during the game where I can then see which kill of which vehicle counts for the challenge. As it is now I have to guess and that is extremely annoying.

I try very hard to get the last 2 kills, i just played USA and killed mit Jeep and Greyhound a lot of Infantry. Nothing counted towards the challenge. 

Edit: I tryed again this time with 8-Rad, it was working that way, but i have to ask what is the difference to the Greyhound?

Updated 3 months ago.
3 months ago
Feb 4, 2024, 9:22:48 AM

ARE. YOU. SHITTING. ME? Actually, I'm not even mad, this is amazing.
You've managed to make the challenge system so bad, that you piss of both MP and SP players, impressive.
And what you should be most worried about, is that most seem to think the system is so bad that they aren't even calling you out on it.
I was looking forward to playing CoH3 and doing new daily and weekly challenges today. But now I think I'll play a game from a developer that actually seems to care about it's players.

3 months ago
Feb 15, 2024, 9:57:05 AM

Another thing on challenges is that it would be cool if they are actually achievable.
Here's an example.

I have yet to complete one of these. The US Ai simply do not build these.
I understand that this could possibly be achieved in MP, but it would be cool if the AI in at least one combination of difficulty and Battlegroup would build this.

3 months ago
Feb 22, 2024, 8:52:27 PM
AbZurd wrote:

You've managed to make the challenge system so bad, that you piss of both MP and SP players, impressive.
And what you should be most worried about, is that most seem to think the system is so bad that they aren't even calling you out on it.
I was looking forward to playing CoH3 and doing new daily and weekly challenges today. But now I think I'll play a game from a developer that actually seems to care about it's players.

What is the problem with those challenges in the screenshots?

Updated 3 months ago.
3 months ago
Feb 23, 2024, 3:51:43 PM

Hi

I had such a bug.

i did the weekly tests on sunday (18th february) but today (23rd february) 2/3 of the tasks have reset.

2 months ago
Mar 12, 2024, 10:21:44 PM
Heileif wrote:
AbZurd wrote:

What is the problem with those challenges in the screenshots?

If you read the thread, you'd see that the problem is that there is an over abundance of MP related challenges.

This really isn't that big of a problem, unless you play the game like me. I play SP only.

Every single SP challenge can be completed in MP too, while the PVP and COOP challenges can only be completd in MP.

So a more balanced system would be nice. One suggestion is to allow for a swap on challenges, either at a cost, or limit to one swap per day or similar.

2 months ago
Mar 12, 2024, 11:20:29 PM
AbZurd wrote:
So a more balanced system would be nice.

We'll have some good news for you soon-ish.  :) 

?

Click here to login

Comment