Easy Eight can't pop smoke on the fly, while Axis tanks can?

4 years ago
Title says it all. USF is definitly in more need of escaping theyer tanks in critical battles than Axis. Btw, i think tank battles in COH2 would be more fun and balanced overall if smoke on tanks wouldent even exist.

Heres an good example on a even and fun tank battle i had yesterday where no smoke excisted. http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/60695977/file.html

Comments

4 years ago
    GinsengGinseng Posts: 169
    working as intended, can't make factions identical, part of usf design.
    4 years ago
    GinsengGinseng Posts: 169
    allie tanks not suppose to get away or take a hit. Need to keep spamming until the German player is satisfied with your sacrifice and accepts your defeat.
    4 years ago
    RounceRounce Posts: 633
    You didnt get the memo that german tanks are supposed to be the hardest hitting, toughest, fastest and able to get away from danger on a whim i see.
    4 years ago
    The german smoke is docturnal thought. And when popped is only on its self. The Sherman can launch its smoke to cover other things. I believe this and the vet 1 ability is to encourage using them in packs and cover each other.
    4 years ago
    White wrote:
    -[alo;n111339]The german smoke is docturnal thought. And when popped is only on its self. The Sherman can launch its smoke to cover other things. I believe this and the vet 1 ability is to encourage using them in packs and cover each other.

As if US players can save up enough and not be totally dominated by Pumas/P4s/AT everywhere by that time in the game comes out.
    4 years ago
    mrdjjag81mrdjjag81 Posts: 237
    i diden't ask for it to be equel, the thing that should make more sence if you not have to force your tank to a halt before being able to use smoke.
    4 years ago
    As if US players can save up enough and not be totally dominated by Pumas/P4s/AT everywhere by that time in the game comes out.
    My point being the ability has more utility to it. You can use it to cover your infantry and such if you want to not just screen your tank when you over extend.
    4 years ago
    RykutaRykuta Posts: 548
    It's a supportive ability, the Sherman was designed to be the best support tank of all factions; a jack of all trades tank that's main roll is that of a supportive roll, working in groups of other tanks and infantry to provide cover, fire support, and other utilities such as the smoke ability. The ability is designed to cover itself, infantry, other tanks, cover a retreat, your options over the doctrinal smoke ability for the Wehrs are significantly greater.

I think the reason you can't shoot it while moving though has something to do with the games core programming, abilities that require manual aim all require you to not be moving when you engage them and in most cases the unit will stop moving to use said ability. The howitzer tank is an exception because that's its unique attribute. Although I think smoke while moving would be nice for pushing with it. Right now its more of a defensive utility.
    4 years ago
    Its for supporting your infantry like the regular Sherman's did, pop smoke on mg to stop suppression or cover sightlines.

I rather have it on German tanks I don't know what youre talking about
    4 years ago
    Ginseng wrote: »
    working as intended.

Not true. Lots of USF abilities are supposed to work on the move and don't. It seems a fairly low priority on 'things worth fixing' on relic's end though.

I'd rather shermans have two abilities for smoke though, the launch as it has now and the traditional one click personal cover, as the escape problems aren't caused by the tank stopping, so much as the delay in deciding it's needed and the smoke being there. With aiming, firing and impact time you're basically looking at taking 2/3 shots, which is enough to do for any injured sherman 9 times in 10.

Obviously either one should cause a cooldown on both, so you have decide between cover going in or having an escape tool ready.
    4 years ago
    Or, even better, German tanks get a similarly-delayed smoke launch.
    4 years ago
    Um, pass. I don't think that everyone not having fun is a balance solution that's worth pursuing.
    4 years ago
    It would certainly fix the ridiculous "get-out-of-jail-free card" that Panzer Tactician smoke is for the Germans, and it would force people to think about how they use smoke. I, for one, use the Sherman smoke both to cover escape routes and to support my infantry. It's certainly not bad, but in comparison to the German version it's terrible simply because it's a not a one-click solution to every problem. I don't know about you but I don't find one-click solutions fun, it's why I largely avoid playing Axis.
    4 years ago
    See I just generally like my options to feel responsive. Planning has it's place but being able to react to things is nice too. Hobbling something that already feels good just seems like a bad idea in that regard, especially when you're only doing it to bring it into line with something lacklustre.
    4 years ago
    Panzer tactician smoke, objectively speaking, feels anything but good. It feels pretty shitty. It might feel nice to be able to save your Panther 99 times out of 100, but objectively speaking you're paying 30 MU for the invaluable privilege of preserving the resources and accumulated veterancy you've put into the unit, while also keeping the balance of power in the game tilted in your favour. Literally no other faction has this ability, but the answer is not necessarily to give other factions this ability too. There's already a decent and balanced ability in the game that provides the same benefits, but requires actual forethought and planning in its usage.

So it's not "bringing it in line with something lacklustre". It's bringing it in line with something balanced. If you think Panzer Tactician smoke is balanced then that's fine, but it will also preclude you from having any other legitimate opinions regarding balance in my eyes.
    4 years ago
    RounceRounce Posts: 633
    if it rapidly fired its barrage and hit an area in a line it would be fine. As is its quite shit.
    4 years ago
    mrdjjag81mrdjjag81 Posts: 237
    Panzer tactician smoke, objectively speaking, feels anything but good. It feels pretty ****ty. It might feel nice to be able to save your Panther 99 times out of 100, but objectively speaking you're paying 30 MU for the invaluable privilege of preserving the resources and accumulated veterancy you've put into the unit, while also keeping the balance of power in the game tilted in your favour. Literally no other faction has this ability, but the answer is not necessarily to give other factions this ability too. There's already a decent and balanced ability in the game that provides the same benefits, but requires actual forethought and planning in its usage.

So it's not "bringing it in line with something lacklustre". It's bringing it in line with something balanced. If you think Panzer Tactician smoke is balanced then that's fine, but it will also preclude you from having any other legitimate opinions regarding balance in my eyes.

30 MU for saving your tank 9/10 to escape and keep gaining veterancy feels "shitty" to you? Can't spend your 30 MU on something else more worth it. And NO, Panzer Tactican don't feels very balanced to me as it stands for now. Probably an MU increase would make it.
    4 years ago
    Rounce wrote: »
    You didnt get the memo that german tanks are supposed to be the hardest hitting, toughest, fastest and able to get away from danger on a whim i see.
    This kill me, so true :p.
    4 years ago
    mrdjjag81 wrote: »

30 MU for saving your tank 9/10 to escape and keep gaining veterancy feels "****ty" to you? Can't spend your 30 MU on something else more worth it. And NO, Panzer Tactican don't feels very balanced to me as it stands for now. Probably an MU increase would make it.

Just to clarify, I meant shitty as in, I feel shitty for using it because of how ridiculously good it is.
    4 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951
    Sherman smoke should fire on the move. I thought that was how it was intended to be in the first place, the fact that it overrides move orders seems weird to me.