Company of Heroes 3?

5 years ago
Is this a taboo subject or something?! I'm literally freaking out because I've looked everywhere and can't even find a mere discussion about it. Nothing appears and when I google it, it just shows like I googled CoH 2. can someone just please write the Word "Company of Heroes 3" because it doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on the internet.

Comments

5 years ago
    GenObiGenObi Posts: 1,368
    Daardu wrote: »
    Is this a taboo subject or something?! I'm literally freaking out because I've looked everywhere and can't even find a mere discussion about it. Nothing appears and when I google it, it just shows like I googled CoH 2. can someone just please write the Word "Company of Heroes 3" because it doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on the internet.
    Why would it? It wont happen for a long time. Type release date for COH1, then do that for coh2 and see how long that took.
    5 years ago
    TrubbbelTrubbbel Posts: 288
    We got a great game as it is with more stuff coming for it. I don't want a third game for quite some time. Eventually, yes.
    5 years ago
    VegnaVegna Posts: 983
    as above, CoH2 is still getting content released, Relcis said they have a 5 year plan for it, DoW3 is more likely then CoH3.
    5 years ago
    TrubbbelTrubbbel Posts: 288
    Yes exactly, give us DoW3 first! Wants it! Just keep support up for CoH2 for now and a while.
    5 years ago
    RounceRounce Posts: 633
    coh2 has to last me a long long time!
    5 years ago
    Vegna wrote: »
    as above, CoH2 is still getting content released, Relcis said they have a 5 year plan for it, DoW3 is more likely then CoH3.
    Does a better engine counts as a new content to be released too?
    5 years ago
    LebatronLebatron Upper MIPosts: 352
    patwas wrote: »
    Does a better engine counts as a new content to be released too?

Huh? This current engine is pretty damn capable. Miles ahead of other RTS's like SC2. You can mouse look around, go right down to ground level and actually watch your squads or tanks over their shoulder, which is really cool. Animations are great as well. I'm sure as the engine ages over the next few years they may patch in a few new bells and whistles. They did a DX10 patch for COH1 even through it was designed for DX9. A DX12 patch down the road seems likely, but I doubt it would make any noticeable difference in looks. Perhaps just a frame rate improvement which would be welcome by all.
    5 years ago
    Honestly, I think there will never be a CoH3. It wouldn't suprise me CoH2 was a last attempt for THQ to get some money in the bank. This failed, so luckily the project moved a long to SEGA. CoH2 suffered A LOT of the movement from THQ to SEGA. Not that long ago they released artwork on CoH2.org from THQ wich looked amazing. Far, FAR better than the crap we are playing now. But I guess we have to be happy with what we have.
    5 years ago
    Honestly, I think there will never be a CoH3. It wouldn't suprise me CoH2 was a last attempt for THQ to get some money in the bank. This failed, so luckily the project moved a long to SEGA. CoH2 suffered A LOT of the movement from THQ to SEGA. Not that long ago they released artwork on CoH2.org from THQ wich looked amazing. Far, FAR better than the crap we are playing now. But I guess we have to be happy with what we have.

and yet THQ had an earlier release date then SEGA. SEGA spent more money and gave Relic more time. So trying to say it's SEGAs fault is just stupid. Most games art work looks amazing and is much better then what can be made in game.
    5 years ago
    RiCERiCE Posts: 1,588
    I hope coh3 wont happen any time soon. There are still so much to do with CoH2. I dont want them to pump out a new installment and start to build the whole balance up from the ground again...
    5 years ago
    GlytheGlythe Posts: 1,125
    Lebatron wrote: »
    You can mouse look around, go right down to ground level and actually watch your squads or tanks over their shoulder, which is really cool.

You could do the same thing 15 years ago in Dark Reign 2 (not sure if someone had it before that game).
    Not that long ago they released artwork on CoH2.org from THQ wich looked amazing. Far, FAR better than the crap we are playing now. But I guess we have to be happy with what we have.

Have a link by chance?
    5 years ago
    Given that Relic's games have been in decline since DOW2: Retribution, that they are happy with the current state of COH2 and their train-wreck method of community interaction, I'm hoping that the almost-certain-to-be-overpriced (with F2P style transactions) COH3 will be the game that you have to buy since people are leaving COH2, not because you think it's going to be awesome. In fact I still kind of resent COH2 for delivering the killing blow to DOW2, which was a far superior game (at the very least it had so much more heart in it. Coh2 feels more like a game that was designed using a checklist, by people who just wanted to get paid).
    5 years ago
    phosgene89 wrote: »
    In fact I still kind of resent COH2 for delivering the killing blow to DOW2, which was a far superior game (at the very least it had so much more heart in it. Coh2 feels more like a game that was designed using a checklist, by people who just wanted to get paid).

While I liked the campaign of DOW2, I was very disappointed in the general formula of tiny force size for matchmaking. It felt nothing like DOW1 which evolved into COH1. DOW2 didn't replace matchmaking for me at all and I continued to play COH1. I'm glad COH2 didn't go all hero commander style with few units but lots of cooldown skills on the heroes. That's not the kind of micro I like. Hence, I don't play MOBA's either for that reason. In a similar vain, I was very disapointed in Blizzard for making Warcraft3 hero centric as well. I was actually hoping for WC2 with much better graphics. Instead, they changed the whole formula and the game suffered for it. They decided not to make the same mistake for SC2 and stuck with an old school RTS formula that worked. Sometimes all some of us gamers ever ask for is just an update in graphics and a bit of other polish. That's what COH2 does and now I have no reason to play COH1 anymore. Of coarse this games UI got no polish, but that's another topic. It really has no effect on in game play.
    5 years ago
    DoW2...it felt more space marine being small forces vs huge numbers but not very 40k. I'm really hoping it is just a limitation of PCs and the engine.
    5 years ago
    Nah I doubt it was by PC limitation they went with small force sizes. I'm sure there may be mods for DOW2 that up the force count and make it feel more DOW1 or COH in scale. When I play DOW2 in multiplayer, it feels like COH limited to a pop cap of around 40. But of coarse the micro focus was more heavy on the hero powers than on managing a larger army. In a way, DOW2 was moving toward a combo MOBA and RTS in one. I'm no fan of MOBA's so hence was unhappy with DOW2's scale.
    5 years ago
    MrCrecer13MrCrecer13 Posts: 49
    I want that Company of Heroes 3 takes place during the Cuban missile crisis. This is very cool - a mix of weapons of World War II and post-war weapons: PPSh-41, Mosin, SKS - 45, AK, RPD, PT-76, T-54/55. It'll be cool.
    Or "Operation Unthinkable" - Allies with the remnants of the Wehrmacht attacked the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc (which as the remaining number of German weapons and equipment).
    5 years ago
    PhilBowlesPhilBowles Posts: 978
    phosgene89 wrote: »
    Given that Relic's games have been in decline since DOW2: Retribution,

I wouldn't call that a fair assessment on two grounds:

1. Firstly, Dawn of War 2 was a major step down from Company of Heroes, and the expansion campaigns were each worse than the last. So if there really has been a decline it started with Tales of Valor (if not Opposing Fronts, with its inferior single-player campaigns and poorly-realised factions), not Retribution (which was itself the nadir of Dawn of War 2)

2. Secondly, while this trend has generally been downwards, CoH 2 was substantially superior to any Dawn of War 2 title; until the big series of post-Ardennes Assault balancing patches it was a major step down over Company of Heroes 1, but that was not the immediately preceding game. DoW 2 vanilla had a better single-player campaign, but that's all that can really be said for it.
    that they are happy with the current state of COH2 and their train-wreck method of community interaction, I'm hoping that the almost-certain-to-be-overpriced (with F2P style transactions) COH3 will be the game that you have to buy since people are leaving COH2, not because you think it's going to be awesome. In fact I still kind of resent COH2 for delivering the killing blow to DOW2, which was a far superior game (at the very least it had so much more heart in it. Coh2 feels more like a game that was designed using a checklist, by people who just wanted to get paid).

DoW 2 vanilla, perhaps, had more "heart" - the no-content, second-rate campaign expansions felt like Tales of Valor-level cash-ins (new factions in DoW 2 are irrelevant, since all are basically reskins of one another save for the tanks and minor differences in special abilities). It seems hard to argue it was a superior game, with its simplified maps and terrain, copy-paste factions and execrable hero units. And, as mentioned, it completely lost the feel of 40k (and not just because an average 40k map is more complex) beyond the skins; constant efforts at balancing that completely eschewed the background and theme of the units being balanced (Falcons being the slowest tanks) only made matters worse. The resulting predictable hero-and-minion 'laning' to objectives along simple maps, and the sheer ease of heading straight to and destroying enemy bases compared with contesting territory (all your units ran back to base? Sure, I'll park a D-Cannon right outside), made the whole feel like a second-rate MOBA that lacked the strategic component of an RTS or the immersion of the 40k setting.
    5 years ago
    pablonanopablonano YesterdayPosts: 2,549
    People is rushing things too much
    5 years ago
    They have only made one game so far using Essence v3.0, i just hope they planned for the future with it. DX12 coming out shortly more affordable cpu's, Devs need to start usings all these cores its depressing seeing some of theses cores sat there idle. [h=3][/h]
    5 years ago
    PTXIXPTXIX Posts: 165
    I think the main question is how soon, since SEGA had a huge failure with Total War: Attila(and speaking only about content rome2 wasnt as successful as it could be), but they could fix that with Total War Arena if they gonna put better payable content( since tbs/rts games are not the best at sales compared to an fps game). And they failed with the Alien-games too, sadly i can imagine a CoH3 from EA in the near future. Sega has to blow with new games or they gonna sink.
    5 years ago
    PTXIX Why in gods name are EA going to swallow up another RTS developer???? No offence but have a look at segasammy's financial report over the past few years even when in 2011-12 when there net sales were down they increased there profit. There 2014 results were a huge step in the right direction. Not many publishers operate with a third of there takings being gross profit. Attila is not a huge failure either, the cost of the game to develop was negligible in comparison to the development of Rome 2.
    5 years ago
    I didnt just talk about -financial- failure, trust me total war series just lost a huge group of fans with rome2 and attila, no i cant prove it with data, but you can check the active players, and forum members numbers too see what they built up with shogun2 just collapsed with their last 2 games. Sega has another (higher) income from mobile games, sonic series and toys etc, which i did not counted in since im only interted in pc gaming data. About Alien series, ask anybody on the internet and i can guarantee 95% hate it, i personally puked from colonial marines. It wasnt a success so it was a failure for me, yeah still lot of people bought this again with isolation, but they aint gonna buy a new alien game from sega. And im pretty sure the sales of Total War Medieval III will be high (cause ppl gonna buy it for its NAME (just like sw: battlefront) but after that...it aint gonna worth it.
    5 years ago
    GrenadierIT19Grenadier… ItalyPosts: 575
    It's too early for making a new game, CoH2 has still much to show
    5 years ago
    PTXIX wrote: »
    I think the main question is how soon, since SEGA had a huge failure with Total War: Attila(and speaking only about content rome2 wasnt as successful as it could be), but they could fix that with Total War Arena if they gonna put better payable content( since tbs/rts games are not the best at sales compared to an fps game). And they failed with the Alien-games too, sadly i can imagine a CoH3 from EA in the near future. Sega has to blow with new games or they gonna sink.

Creative Assembly suffered a major, public failure with Rome 2 - while Attila may not have been financially successful (I don't know whether this is actually the case, and development of DLC appears to be ongoing) it was much better-received, and Alien Isolation was highly commended (no idea whether it's actually any good, since I don't like those kinds of game).

By the metrics developers and their publishers care about, CA's in fairly good shape and Rome 2's relaunch as 'Emperor Edition' was widely considered a success, and Relic only suffered with CoH 2 from overblown complaints about its campaign (which suffered more from being mediocre gameplay-wise and with a Hollywood-ised storyline than the elements the Russians got worked up about); there's no reason for Sega to drop its newfound status as a strategy game developer.
    5 years ago
    I didnt just talk about -financial- failure, trust me total war series just lost a huge group of fans with rome2 and attila, no i cant prove it with data, but you can check the active players, and forum members numbers too see what they built up with shogun2 just collapsed with their last 2 games. Sega has another (higher) income from mobile games, sonic series and toys etc, which i did not counted in since im only interted in pc gaming data. About Alien series, ask anybody on the internet and i can guarantee 95% hate it, i personally puked from colonial marines. It wasnt a success so it was a failure for me, yeah still lot of people bought this again with isolation, but they aint gonna buy a new alien game from sega. And im pretty sure the sales of Total War Medieval III will be high (cause ppl gonna buy it for its NAME (just like sw: battlefront) but after that...it aint gonna worth it.

Based on Steam figures for most-played games a year or so back, Rome 2 was somewhat more heavily-played than Shogun 2 at the time. There's not going to be a Total War Medieval III under that name, as CA has ruled out making a "III" title for the foreseeable future, but Total War: Warhammer will certainly trade heavily on its brand name, and on the fact that it's the only one of the licences GW is desperately selling off to the lowest bidder in an effort to stay afloat as miniatures sales stall that promises to capture the basic gameplay of a major GW title.
    5 years ago
    I am talking about 5 years from now, not today, aliens: cm was a big failure, aliens vs preadtor too(altough it sold well on steam sales later) isolation still wasnt as good as expected, but i do know sega ahs a lot of other sources of income from other things, but if things dont change, this ship is going to sink too....
    5 years ago
    I am talking about 5 years from now, not today, aliens: cm was a big failure, aliens vs preadtor too(altough it sold well on steam sales later) isolation still wasnt as good as expected, but i do know sega ahs a lot of other sources of income from other things, but if things dont change, this ship is going to sink too....

Sega always had a lot of sources of income; if that was the basis for its decision-making it wouldn't have bought a strategy game developer in the first place, let alone two. Sega's only a publisher - as long as the developers under its umbrella turn a profit, it will keep them. Sega execs know as well as anyone else that the only strategy game developer that can compete with FPS games and their ilk for profitability is Firaxis: Civilization V was among the 5-10 most-played games on Steam for at least four years following its release, and X-COM was the only strategy game to make a serious commercial showing on consoles (though was more successful on PC) since another Firaxis title, the original Civilization Revolutions. Even so, Total War games consistently do very well judged by numbers of players on Steam.