Heavy cavalry commander

3 years ago

Relic seems to have given all the useful abilities on the US side to the Heavy cav commanders (good smoke, tough call in infantry, tough call in tanks, etc) while al ot of the other commanders seem weak and it seems a little strong, maybe they should switch around some of the abilities to even it out a bit more. Because right now, there is no reason on the US to choose anything but rifle or heavy cav commanders.

Comments

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 725

That's not true at all.

Armor is by far the best USF commander. By far.

Heavy cav really has a lot of weaknesses. Namely it doesn't have arty and you have to survive early late game without E8s or M10s.

3 years ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,855

Really? I've never had m10's do anything useful, is there something special about them I'm missing?

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 725

@MCMartel said:
    Really? I've never had m10's do anything useful, is there something special about them I'm missing?

It's about the timing. You can skip major tier and bring out a m10 at the same time that an OST brings out their panzer (which it is a very good counter to PIV due to its pen+50 range). Also you can usually get two before OKW gets a single panzer allowing one to quickly destroy their Schwerer HQ.

I have won sooooooo many games doing either of those things. Two M10s=dead schwerer.

Additionally engineers are very useful. They have mines which are immensely useful, after taking a side you can mine it up and it basically guarantees that the enemy will need a stronger push than a single squad or kubel.

The trick with the engineers is not to bring them out so early and to not try and use them as a dedicated combat unit. They lose to sturms in most cases and they have a massive reinforce cost. Also the flamer is too expensive to buy early because IMO you should always be using grenades.

The 105 sherman+M10s cover just about anything you would need.

The one weakness is against panthers. I find that the OKW Special Operation's command panther counters armor company because the main advantage of armor company against OKW is that you can destroy their schwerer easily and deny them armor.

I don't like Heavy Cav that much because I feel that the Rangers are a large investment if one wants them to pay off (90+60 MU for BAR+Thompsons) and once you bring out rangers the enemy knows that you are going to have a Pershing.

I find that the smoke barrage is just more expensive than the smoke grenade for just about the same utility. The riflemen mines take a long time to place and FP are easily countered by either motors or OKW schreiks.

The only thing I do like about it is skipping tech to get early Pershing. That wins games. But it isn't always that I have the CP to do that.

3 years ago
    edibleshrapneledibleshr… Posts: 251

@MCMartel said:

The trick to M10's is to use in conjunction, at least three on field at the same time. Have you seen CaptainSprice play with his? He decrews them, allowing for more popcap, and proceeds to get 10+ on the field.

3 years ago
    edibleshrapneledibleshr… Posts: 251

And to address the topic, Tactical support is still viable, albeit the nerf to the calliope created more problems for USF late game viability. But yes, heavy cal is most reliable for Late game, armour company however is still quite powerful and useful for the mid to late. All about strategy really. And rifle isn't that good, don't bother.