[SU] M42 "AT" Gun

#1
2 years ago

The M42 "Aggressive Tickling" gun. while decent vs. OKW in the early game, is far outclassed by the much more reliable and non-doctrinal Zis AT gun and even the more common PTRS in many cases.

But to balance a 45mm AT gun is pretty tough, unless you make it more AI than AT

So this is my SOLUTION:

*New M42 ability: Canister Shot.

Basically the USF Greyhound's Canister shot, it gives the M42 some extra anti-infantry firepower and a more flexibility in the Soviet Doctrinal arsenal. the only other problem with this unit is the 2 commanders its in, but that's another discussion for another day.

Comments

  • #3
    2 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,716
    I agree with laz here. Giving a vet ability that lets it rotate like a mofo for a short time woukd be fantastic in addition.
  • #4
    2 years ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,852

    I like grittles idea, the cannister works well with the urban combat focus and makes it more useful as it is currently useless,

  • #5
    2 years ago
    KithKith Posts: 144

    I like the concept of it basically being a T-70 gun - it's much more unique than just giving it an ability that another unit already has.

  • #6
    2 years ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,852

    One great suggestion I'd heard, that plays very well with it being a small gun and the urban combat idea is to let it be garrisonable and retreatable like the kubelwagen, that would be a great help to an otherwise useless unit/

  • #7
    2 years ago
    GrittleGrittle Posts: 993

    @MCMartel said:
    One great suggestion I'd heard, that plays very well with it being a small gun and the urban combat idea is to let it be garrisonable and retreatable like the kubelwagen, that would be a great help to an otherwise useless unit/

    You mean the Rakten?

    I wish, but its a 500 kg difference between the 2 AT guns. Unless they can make it so it can only use the ground floor windows, then it wont work.

  • #8
    2 years ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,852
    1. yes, I do mean rakenten
    2. The game is not hat realistic that's not a big deal, and the idea is it's a smaller,lighter urban combat weapon, sogiving it stealth, retreat,and garrisonability would make it viable.
  • #9
    2 years ago
    YoghurtYoghurt Posts: 74

    I don't agree with these drastic changes like making it a copy of the raketenwerfer. It's a unit that is very specialized vs light vehicles, and it's very good at that. I do think the way to increase its utility is to make it decent vs infantry. A canister shot is an idea I can get behind, or fragmentation shell. Maybe it's a toggle or an active ability. It stays true to history, and the concept of the unit.

    I think what I would like the most is to give it two new abilities; canister shot (or fragmentation shell), and smoke shell. They would cost 25 and 20 munitions respectively. and have separate cooldowns which are quite short.

    Having both canister and frag would be a bit superfluous. If it has canister shot, maybe it would force soldiers to the ground like some other weapons do. A smoke shell could give it som nice uses. It would be identical to the comet's smoke shell ability.

  • #10
    2 years ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,852

    It's really, quite terrible in it's current form, with no real use, hence why I suggest it to be like the Rakten, which really has a very good urban combat-feel.

  • #11
    2 years ago
    KnighterKnighter Posts: 396

    both commanders are pretty meh with this at gun. Any sort of buffs are welcome. I like all ideas just make it HAPPEN

  • #12
    2 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951

    I'm with Lazarus, I've been advocating it being a T70-style gun on wheels for a while. Needing abilities to not be useless is too gimmicky (eg. the original Greyhound), it'll never compete with the ZiS as a pure AT weapon and long-range direct fire AI is a unique niche. It'll fit the game well and have some nifty flavor.

  • #13
    2 years ago
    YoghurtYoghurt Posts: 74

    Would all the other aspects of the gun stay the same? Like Its AT? I guess it could be good, but I suspect that many people will complain about their infantry being sniped by the at gun in that case. The unit could also be quite abusable, since they're cheap and mobile. You could get 3, aim them toward the enemy and lay waste to any infantry or light- medium armor pushes.

  • #14
    2 years ago
    GrittleGrittle Posts: 993

    @Yoghurt said:
    Would all the other aspects of the gun stay the same? Like Its AT? I guess it could be good, but I suspect that many people will complain about their infantry being sniped by the at gun in that case. The unit could also be quite abusable, since they're cheap and mobile. You could get 3, aim them toward the enemy and lay waste to any infantry or light- medium armor pushes.

    Maybe do what relic did with the PTRS

    Make it do the full 80 damage vs vehicles, but deal like 65 damage vs infantry

  • #15
    2 years ago
    ZaatosZaatos Posts: 12
    I agree it needs a buff, but canister shot would just be too weird. I think a ROF increase would help a lot of the t70 gun idea people suggested might be good too.
  • #16
    2 years ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,006

    @Grittle said:

    @Yoghurt said:
    Would all the other aspects of the gun stay the same? Like Its AT? I guess it could be good, but I suspect that many people will complain about their infantry being sniped by the at gun in that case. The unit could also be quite abusable, since they're cheap and mobile. You could get 3, aim them toward the enemy and lay waste to any infantry or light- medium armor pushes.

    Maybe do what relic did with the PTRS

    Make it do the full 80 damage vs vehicles, but deal like 65 damage vs infantry

    This sounds quite good. Though Yoghurt brings up a good point. With too much RoF + Axis squad sizes it would be a problem. Honestly I'd say 30 damage to inf so it can still contribute something to the fight without any double ATGs being able to just defend themselves.

  • #17
    2 years ago
    GrittleGrittle Posts: 993

    @Lazarus said:

    @Grittle said:

    @Yoghurt said:
    Would all the other aspects of the gun stay the same? Like Its AT? I guess it could be good, but I suspect that many people will complain about their infantry being sniped by the at gun in that case. The unit could also be quite abusable, since they're cheap and mobile. You could get 3, aim them toward the enemy and lay waste to any infantry or light- medium armor pushes.

    Maybe do what relic did with the PTRS

    Make it do the full 80 damage vs vehicles, but deal like 65 damage vs infantry

    This sounds quite good. Though Yoghurt brings up a good point. With too much RoF + Axis squad sizes it would be a problem. Honestly I'd say 30 damage to inf so it can still contribute something to the fight without any double ATGs being able to just defend themselves.

    Yeah, maybe

    But it might be too little damage, you have to remember it doesn't just move out like a t70 and has limited arc of fire, it can easily be flanked and decrewed.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

  • © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Relic Entertainment, the Relic Entertainment logo, Company of Heroes and the Company of Heroes logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. SEGA is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.