OKW vs Brits - Sturmpioneers vs British early game [All game modes]

2 years ago

So I've played many games now (1v1, 2v2, 3v3) where OKW spam Kubel and sturms and I can't seem to come up with an effective counter until I've unlocked tech tier 2. By the time I've reached that point, they usually have most of the map controlled.

I've tried using just tommies, mg's, universal carrier and a mix of all three but cannot seem to compete with the power of the sturms (kubel is fine)

I think sturms should be nerfed slightly as I think they are too powerful at close range and against light vehicles.

I'd like to point out this is usually only an issue when playing against 2 or 3x OKW vs all allies as brits.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Comments

2 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951

Do you mind posting a replay? It would definitely help us see what's going on and I can give more then just generic advice.

In general though, Sturms won't win if they're charging Tommies in cover, but if he hops from cover to cover to get to you, you should back off or reface an MG at the sturms. The Bren Carrier can also kite a sturmpio squad, dealing out damage while the Sturms can't fire back effectively.

Kubels are a nuisance at best. Tommies in buildings or green cover can force Kubels off without any issues and the Bren Carrier, while clumsy, will gun down kubels pretty quickly. Vickers in a building also works wonders versus both, its got high DPS that'll quickly chew up Kubels and suppress Sturms while knocking models off, which gets expensive for the OKW player

2 years ago
    MisterMafMisterMaf Posts: 28
    edited May 2016

Sturmpioneers will win 1v1 against every other starting unit, as they should given their cost. Consequently, you should try to take them on 2v1 and ideally prevent them from getting close. To this end, you should fight from cover at long range with your tommies and get an MG in place as quick as you can, and/or help teammates double-team the OKW player(s).

Do post a replay or two for better feedback.

2 years ago

Did you experienced Tommies in stone house and sturmpio just outside? No matter the cover. Sturm wins. They are definitely outpowered. I agree with d4rhawck1... they should be nerfed.

2 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a replay once I encounter the issue again.

The problem is that in early game as soon as you encounter sturms they charge you and you have to back off. Even if you manage to get in cover they'll just sit outside and gun you down from outside, I really think that needs looking at.

I think aqua you're advice seems good with the universal carrier and just kiting. I'll see how I go and post a replay if necessary.

2 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951

@The FamousAbacus said:
    Did you experienced Tommies in stone house and sturmpio just outside? No matter the cover. Sturm wins. They are definitely outpowered. I agree with d4rhawck1... they should be nerfed.

The only way that could possibly happen is if the squad managed to exploit LoS to approach or attacked at an angle where only 1-2 windows faced the Sturms, both of which are intended tactics for dealing with infantry in buildings. There's no way in hell a Sturmpio squad waltzed up to a building with four Tommy models shooting at them and won under normal circumstances.

2 years ago
    NevecOneUpNevecOneUp Posts: 1,202

Bren carrier helps a lot.

2 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,543
    Sturms are potent for sure, but if you can keep your range and pick at them you will be fine, if anything the Brits have the easiest time with them simply because of how potent tommies are in cover. Make the Sturms come to you and use cover, once you drop a model the sturms wont be much of a hassle.
    2 years ago
    captainjordycaptainjo… Posts: 498

Sturms may seem imposing early but they are very easily dealt with even with just a Tommy. Stand at max range in cover and the enemy will try to charge you. Sturmpioneers have the worst on the move accuracy of any unit in the game so you will easily hold your ground if they charge. They will however destroy you if they get close enough and stop moving so positioning is key.

MGs obviously will negate an entire area but don't forget to defend them with an IS UCs are nice to have if they have a lot of Kubels but never build more than one because of the Shrecks or the fausts in the new patch.

Once you get a good mortar up OKW will have an awful time fighting you until they start spamming LeIGs. Once they do you have to go on the offensive. It's all about positioning early and countering their offense. Familiarize yourself with OKW's tactics against Brits and you'll find yourself 1-2 steps ahead of them.

2 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. I'll bear that in mind when I encounter rushing sturms again!

2 years ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 1,092

Aqua

I WAS going to reply to this post, but all of your comments was pretty much spot on. Great job, man! :D You just saved me some keyboard miliage... ;)