[FInal] Geirolul - VALKYRIA CHRONICLES SKIN COMPETITION

4 years ago
GrumpntugGrumpntug Posts: 17
edited July 2016 in Skins

I'm going to jump in no this. I'll be making a skin inspired by Audrey Gassenarl's personal tank for the British forces.

Tagged:

Comments

4 years ago

VERY wip still. I'm trying to figure out a method to get the sort of comic/anime line look. I'm also figuring out the emblem on the side. I think I'm close.

Basically just figuring out the approach atm. once I get the colors, theme, and technical approach all down I should get through them pretty fast...

4 years ago
    edited June 2016

Alright got colors and everything figured out. There is not a lot to go on with this design so I'm going to be very "inspired" by it making up things that I feel are in line with the original design. Should be fun!!

car.jpg 254.6K
    4 years ago
    RitaRushRitaRush Russian Federation, KrasnoyarskPosts: 54
    edited June 2016

I believe you should calm the main color down even more. Really, you dont want to be crushed with all that: "OMG PINK TANKS IN THE GAME WHAT THE HELL I TOLD YOU GUYS THAT WOULD EVENTUALLY HAPPEN". Dont shoot yourself in the foot :wink:

Maybe you could make it more like the real historical Rotbraun RAL 8012 - 8017 color instead? Who cares that's not the same as at references, they said "inspired" after all.

4 years ago
    edited June 2016

I'm actually using a red rather close to that but you make a good poin, the lighting is causing a bit of a washout so I adjusted it further towards a yellow hue to get away from pink feel once it's in game.

In maya with no light bias it's a bit easier to see.

red.PNG 510.6K
    4 years ago

As to the note about the design. I'm actually banking on the thought that they are doing a crossover and therefore want something closer to the designs. I could be horribly wrong but that's my gamble on this particular skin. As for the angry masses. You'll always have them on every game ever. I get the vibe that relic wants to step outside the standard comfort zone a bit and I like that. Again, I could be totally wrong about that with this skin and it be hated by the players and relic alike but I'm ok with that if I am.

Either way, this skin has a long way to go after this first pass. Thanks for the feedback!

4 years ago

I actually very like your last Maya preview! If you'll be able to make it look like this in the game indeed, it will be pretty awesome.

Good luck with that!

4 years ago
    Kyle_REKyle_RE Posts: 484 admin
    edited June 2016

One of the main things we look for is that the design fits with CoH2's art style. Now, obviously for competitions like these, the designs won't fit with the immersion of the game, however, it can still fit with the art style. What I mean by this then is that the art style is believable in the sense that someone in WWII could have painted or designed their tank to look like the skin even if they never actually did or would have. For example, a tank skin that is super catroony, low poly, bright neon colours, etc. would stand out like a sore thumb during a match and would take away from the experience. However, if the skin blends in with the game environment well and also has visual appeal, regardless if it is historically accurate or not, then it has a higher chance of being accepted.

Not saying you should change your skins Grumpntug ;), just thought I would help with clarifying what we are looking for.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

4 years ago
    edited June 2016

Slow going but I've managed to make some progress. Work and life is taking a lot of time for this one. Comet has just started color block in.

Plan is still to get the first pass on all the tanks done then look at them as a whole and see what I need to adjust to unify them and make them better.

wip2.jpg 474.1K
    4 years ago

Looks pretty awesome, I think you nailed it!

4 years ago

Thanks! Another update. On the last one blocking in then I'll move on cleanup and some adjustments to designs on the earlier pieces.

wip3.PNG 749.6K
    4 years ago

lol, somebody downvoted my previous comment :-D

What's wrong with the Churchill? That strange black lines on the top of the tread armor?

4 years ago
    Kyle_REKyle_RE Posts: 484 admin
    edited June 2016

@RitaRush said:
    lol, somebody downvoted my previous comment :-D

4 years ago
    CaptWarCaptWar Posts: 91

@Kyle_RE said:
    One of the main things we look for is that the design fits with CoH2's art style. Now, obviously for competitions like these, the designs won't fit with the immersion of the game, however, it can still fit with the art style. What I mean by this then is that the art style is believable in the sense that someone in WWII could have painted or designed their tank to look like the skin even if they never actually did or would have. For example, a tank skin that is super catroony, low poly, bright neon colours, etc. would stand out like a sore thumb during a match and would take away from the experience. However, if the skin blends in with the game environment well and also has visual appeal, regardless if it is historically accurate or not, then it has a higher chance of being accepted.

Not saying you should change your skins Grumpntug ;), just thought I would help with clarifying what we are looking for.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Is there ever going to be a third axis faction since they are still working on these Awesome skins?

4 years ago

No idea why someone would downvote that. the black is an error with the model :-/

By the way is the Halftrack included in vehicles that need a skin?

4 years ago

Alright think the skins in a good spot. If I need to do the halftrack then I'll have to take care of that real quick but I think it came out alright. Will upload to the workshop tomorrow probably...

Nice and lazy high up shot for now.

new.jpg 754.4K
    4 years ago
    ImperialDaneImperialD… Posts: 3,197 mod

Seems like someone is systematically downvoting everything in this thread.

4 years ago

They must be a real downer. gets coat

4 years ago

Looking great, did you upload it to Steam? I want to vote :-D

(and I'll just downvote myself in this comment, dont bother guys :-D )

4 years ago

Oh, I cant do it actually! UNACCEPTABLE!

4 years ago

Not yet will be putting it up on steam tonight

4 years ago

Alright the skin is up and ready! It's not letting me upload pictures at the moment though... will have to try again in the morning I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=708347350

4 years ago

Alright! Forgot the halftrack because stupidity. Here it is, skin is complete and updated! :D

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

• © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Relic Entertainment, the Relic Entertainment logo, Company of Heroes and the Company of Heroes logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. SEGA is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

DeutschEnglishEspañolFrançaisItalianoРусский