[USF] Sherman Calliope

3 years ago
ArdKingArdKing Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Balance Feedback

First of all, sorry for my bad English

After playing for 2000+ hours and i dont know if anyone already talking about it or not.
I recommend to cut the cost to call Sherman Calliope from 380MP 140F to 320MP 100F

My main concern isnt the man power, but the fuel. Too expensive for mobile artillery and not worth it (Short Range)
Even the priest isnt that expensive (480MP 115F)

Lets take a look and compare the cost of all Factions Mobile Artillery

USF:
M7B1 'Priest' Howitzer Motor Carriage 480MP 115F
T34 Sherman Calliope 380MP 140F

USSR:
BM-13 Katyusha Rocket Truck 360MP 85F

Ostheer Wehrmacht:
Panzerwerfer 42 Rocket Launcher 360MP 85F

Oberkommando West:
SdKfz 251 "Walking Stuka" Half-track 390MP 100F

UKF:
Sexton Self-Propelled Artillery 375MP 90F
Land Mattress 350MP 40F

you guys can see it and i hope relic read this post & take my suggestion/idea under consideration.

Comments

3 years ago
    newshatterhandnewshatte… Posts: 278
    edited June 2016

It is quite expensive for mobile artillery indeed. But I think its performance makes up for the price. I think it is a lot better than the M7B1 and also one of the better mobile artilleries. This because it has high damage and quite a chance of wiping at close range. While it does not have as much range as other rocket arties it makes up for that by having better damage? in its range and being able to stand closer to the frontline due to its armour and health. The land matrass its low price is somewhat justified since it can go down to small arms fire and is not very fast and has a lot of scatter on longer ranges. (though I think it will be nerfed next balance patch)

Maybe a small (~10-20) fuel decrease is justified, but I think its current mp cost is allright and that 100 fuel is really too little.

3 years ago
    KithKith Posts: 144

The Calliope is expensive because, unlike the other artillery units, it's pretty durable. Have some stats!

OKW Stuka: 11 Armor, 320 hitpoints
    Wher Panzerwerfer: 20 armor, 160 hitpoints
    Soviet Katyusha: 7 armor, 160 hitpoints
    USF Priest: 60 armor, 320 hitpoints
    UKF Sexton: 60 armor, 320 hitpoints

All of these compared to:

USF Calliope: 160 armor, 640 hitpoints

The Calliope does not, under any circumstances, need a cost reduction. It is the most durable mobile artillery unit by far - unlike the Stuka or the Katyusha which can be destroyed by simple rifle-wielding infantry, the Calliope requires some form of anti-tank weaponry, making it require a great deal more resources to destroy than the other mobile artilleries and far less vulnerable to simple scouting parties. The only way that I'd support a Calliope cost reduction is if it came hand-in-hand with a brutal nerf of its barrage effectiveness.

3 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,822
    I personally say no.

I do feel making it a muni upgrade instead of a call in would have been a better choice than a call in... Seing as 1. It would require a full tech and 2. It would mean less lmg blob capabilities.
    3 years ago
    kingdun3284kingdun32… Posts: 1,090
    The cost of calliope is fine. Actually , priest is overpriced in this case.
    3 years ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,036

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    I personally say no.

I do feel making it a muni upgrade instead of a call in would have been a better choice than a call in... Seing as 1. It would require a full tech and 2. It would mean less lmg blob capabilities.

Ooooh I really like that. I have a USF teammate who goes Calliope to back up my Brits, and he'll regularly skip Major. It's kind of ridiculous.

3 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,822

@Lazarus said:

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    I personally say no.

Ooooh I really like that. I have a USF teammate who goes Calliope to back up my Brits, and he'll regularly skip Major. It's kind of ridiculous.

im not a fan of things that let you ignore your tech
    ideally (for me anyways) it would have been like the tulips, but more expensive- upgrade to unlock, then pay per use but the sherman is still useable in between (maybe with a debuff? who knows)
    it seems silly to have that rack on a perfectly good sherman that ideally will never need to use its armour...

3 years ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,036

Sure - muni upgrade on to the Sherman, lock its gun to HE and turret forward facing with a speed decrease. Make it the ultimate in infantry annihilating power at the cost of any capacity to fight armor.

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 730
    edited June 2016

I also find this unit over-priced.

The fact that they took out the ability to decrew AND nerfed the barrage was a bit excessive considering that they didn't compensate in anyway. It's a tax on pop, it has a large upkeep and it has the ridiculous price-tag that you mentioned.

The things that frustrate me about the unit is the CD, the fact that it is very hard to vet and the 140 FU cost. I would suggest something around 120FU and a decrease to it's vet requirements.

3 years ago
    NevecOneUpNevecOneUp Posts: 1,202

Callioppe muders infantry and support teams, i think it worth it price.

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 730

@Kith said:

The Calliope does not, under any circumstances, need a cost reduction. It is the most durable mobile artillery unit by far

It doesn't matter when it's yield doesn't make up for its price. It's not a walking stuka. It's not as simple as drawing a line accross all the enemy units.

And you're over looking it's acceleration which is extremely low. It's half that of the walking stuka has. It also has relatively short range making it Panther prey and it's 140FU pricetag means that you are not likely to have the forces to back it up and prevent it from becoming panther food.

3 years ago
    KithKith Posts: 144

@WunderKatze said:
    It doesn't matter when it's yield doesn't make up for its price.

The Calliope's "thing" is being mobile artillery that can survive a counter-battery and usually being able to survive standard MA hunting parties. As a result of its (comparatively) high defense, it has a higher price tag. If you don't like it, use a different MA unit.

3 years ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 6,641

Its fine where it is.

Hard to destroy, packs a punch and costs enough to prevent any effective spam, getting 2 of them means you'll be waay behind in armor.

3 years ago
    moremegamoremega REDWOOD CITY CA USAPosts: 229

What a bunch of baloney, I love using the calliope, but it defiantly does not need to be cheaper. Its a tank for goodness sake, that is also able to damage other tanks with its amour piercing artillery barrage. No other artillery in the game has as good survivability and amour piercing capabilities than calliope. NO COST DEC NECESSARY.

3 years ago
    captainjordycaptainjo… Posts: 498
    edited June 2016

Never been impressed with Calliope since nerf. America has always had issues with unit costs and since the amount of missiles it fires got nerfed and the naturally short range, I don't think it's worth its current price.

It's good but after nerf it's really just a Panzerwerfer or a Katyusha with some extra armor and health.

I say somewhere around 380 MP, 120 fuel.

3 years ago
    KopiGKopiG Posts: 72

I would be okay with a 10 fuel cost reduction but not a single point more.

3 years ago
    PlumbusPlumbus Posts: 6
    edited June 2016

Of all the units in the game the Calliope certainly does't need a price reduction . Compering its cost to other rocket vehicles is just silly ,it has x2 to x4 health and even more armor and imo outperforms them as well .

3 years ago
    captainjordycaptainjo… Posts: 498

@Plumbus said:
    Of all the units in the game the Calliope certainly does't need a price reduction . Compering its cost to other rocket vehicles is just silly ,it has x2 to x4 health and even more armor and imo outperforms them as well .

I doubt that extra armor and health justifies it costing almost twice the amount of a panzerwerfer/katyusha when it performs barely as well, but I do understand why it would be a huge advantage. A price reduction would be justified in this case because of the many nerfs it's taken in its time without seeing any love.