Tank traps for all armies

12 months ago

To spamm medium tanks in the late game is rely easy and hard to counter particularly easy as soviet with T34/76.

Tank traps could make it easier to counter these groups.

The abilities of the commanders can be replaced with
soviet: Booby Trap Territory
Ostheer: Half-track Riegel 43 Anti-Tank Mine.

Tagged:

Comments

12 months ago
    IndesdriIndesdri Posts: 16
    edited October 2016

Tank traps are very situational. It's only the USF that can build them by default, right? Wehrmacht and OKW require defensive doctrines to build them, if I'm not mistaken.

It's nice to have them certainly, but for the most part they're useless on larger maps or those in rural areas. They work particularly well in urban areas as there's less area to cover with them. I don't really play Wehrmacht much these days so I couldn't tell you what their pioneers do for a living, but as OKW unless you're reliably winning every fight it is an atrocious waste of manpower to lay down tank traps instead of putting those STGs to work at point blank - at least in the early game, which is typically when fortification is important. Mid to late game fortified areas will wither under artillery and indirect fire.

Following on from that: any kind of explosive will cripple a tank trap, hit it repeatedly and it will break. One Penal satchel is all it takes to ruin 3 minutes of carefully planned tank traps and OKW reinforced wire. The T34 likewise is probably capable of punching a hole through if they so desire - I can't confirm that, just an educated guess.

Mines are undoubtedly the better option. Just place them randomly, when you've got spare munitions. They can be a nightmare. I don't know about anyone else, but just 1 of 3 T34/76 with a damaged engine is enough to halt my assault for a couple of minutes whilst I sort out the broken engine...

PS: For the love of all that is holy, don't recommend giving the Soviets anymore booby traps. They already have the 90 muni suitcase nuke their engineers can build wherever! Also, tank traps in the hands of the UKF would probably be the nail in the coffin for OKW.

12 months ago

What would USF get? They do not have default mines so to compensate they get tank traps. If tank traps were non doctrinal then USF would need mines. TBH it's very boring if all engineers have the same kit (mines, barbed wire) so I don't think adding non-doctrinal tank traps is a good idea.

11 months ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 935
    edited October 2016
    @TwistedTootsy
    Actually the USF DOES have stock mines on their M20. ;)
    It's just that everone has forgotten about that since the Stuart was turned into the wreaking ball it is...
    11 months ago

Really if anything Axis needs demo charges. I would have a field day with how many Penal and #FreedomBlobs I could get with it. It's amazing how many people just run blindly into S-Mine fields.

And no, no more anti infantry for Soviets. They are already OP in that department.

11 months ago

@Baálthazor said:
    @TwistedTootsy
    Actually the USF DOES have stock mines on their M20. ;)
    It's just that everone has forgotten about that since the Stuart was turned into the wreaking ball it is...

By "Default" i mean not having to tech towards mines or acquire them doctrinally. You can't just nullify the tank trap advantage USF has and not give them something to compensate.

11 months ago
    Square deal.
    OH has to tech for their mines as well.
    Null votes for you, my friend. ;)
    11 months ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,860

@Baálthazor said:
    Square deal.
    OH has to tech for their mines as well.
    Null votes for you, my friend. ;)

dont mines come at t0 with pios? idr them needing to tech...

11 months ago
    @thedarkarmadillo
    Yeah, that didn't come out the way I wanted it too :s
    I meant for it to sound like a forced tech, since it's still kinda mandatory for OH to get grens out for the faust, thus implying that they still kinda jave to tech for it, though ofc in reality they do not...
    11 months ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,694

Give everyone mines, reinforced barricade, demo charges, and bunkers while we're at it...

11 months ago

@SkysTheLimit said:
    Give everyone mines, reinforced barricade, demo charges, and bunkers while we're at it...

Lol. That needs to be behind a commander or something because it is incredibly cheap and OP; wipes everytime. I know you're being sarcastic but imagine the ****storm if all engineers had that :S

11 months ago
    null
    End of blobbing as we know it
    11 months ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,703

Eh I'm sort of starting to see Mr Smiths counter argument the more I utilize them. It'll certainly reduce blobbing, but like anti-biotics you didn't take for the whole 2 weeks, the few that survived will learn to blob with a minesweeper - becoming nigh invincible.