This balance mod has been created as a collaboration between community members and balance modders, GGTheMachine, Mr Smith, and Miragefla. The scope of this patch has been focused to a subset of priority balance concerns sourced from community feedback and balance data. These concern areas include Light Tanks/Vehicles, Squad Formations & Clumping, USF Mortar, Penals & Guards, and Wehrmacht Infantry Scaling. Through addressing potential issues in these areas, we hope to mitigate dominant meta and increase strategic diversity. For more detailed insight behind these changes, read our Winter Balance Preview blog post.
To playtest these changes, subscribe to Relic's Winter Balance Preview Mod now on the Steam Workshop.
Squad formations and Clumping (INFANTRY SCALING)
Unfortunately, there is a disparity in how squads are assigned formations which is impacting performance and game balance. The address this problem we have implemented the following changes:
- Give all squad members a roughly equal breathing space, regardless of the size of the squad (be it 2 members or 6 members)
- Prevent unwanted clumping when given two opposing orders in quick succession (e.g., forward & backwards to avoid an AoE projectile).
- Allow stealth-oriented squads to better utilize crater wherever available, without breaking their formation, but without clumping too much either
- Change unwanted reaction behaviour which would cause squads to break formation and put them unnecessarily into danger.
Reinforcement Half Tracks/Transports (INFANTRY SCALING/LIGHT VEHICLES)
We wanted to make using these units less frustrating as a reinforcement platform and more reliable in order to better supplement Wehrmacht field presence.
- Reinforcement Half-tracks now have shared veterancy from infantry squads.
- Load Times for all Half-tracks standardized to 2.
- Given a handbrake ability to prevent unwanted movement
- 251 Half-track can now carry mortar teams
Snipers (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We feel that the Sniper’s cloak ability is over performing, making them extremely difficult to counter with infantry. To address this issues we have made the following changes:
- When firing a shot or using an offensive ability when not camouflaged, the unit will be unable to return to camouflage for 10 seconds
- Snipers cannot cloak until out of combat for 3 seconds
Stealth Changes (GENERAL)
To bring other stealth units in line with the cloaking changes made to Snipers, we have applied the following re-cloaking restrictions:
Anti-tank gun/Tank stealth changes
* Tanks (e.g., JP4) and anti-tank guns cannot re-cloak until out of combat for 5.5 seconds
* Neither type of unit can re-cloak within 10 seconds of having fired a shot
Non-sniper stealth infantry changes
* Stealth (infiltration) infantry cannot re-cloak until out of combat for 4 seconds
* Stealth infantry cannot re-cloak within 10 seconds of having used an offensive ability (e.g, grenades)
In a recent patch, all mortars received a +33% range bonus to their auto attack at Vet 3 as where previously it was only on the barrage abilities. This escalation of mortar power made them over perform compared to other types of more costly artillery pieces that had not received this bonus such as Pack Howitzers and Mortar Half-tracks.
- Vet 3 no longer grants range increase to auto attacks.
Puma (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The Puma is receiving a damage reduction against infantry on the main gun to solidify its role as a strong vehicle hunter and soft counter to medium tanks.
- Main gun near AOE damage reduced from 1 to 0.33
- Scatter profile changes (to improve accuracy vs vehicles)
- MG incremental MG accuracy removed
Penals (INFANTRY SCALING)
The combination of Penals equipped with flamethrowers, accuracy bonuses with their veterancy, and their long range Damage Per Second (DPS) of the Penal Rifles, Penal Battalions have become a dominate meta in Soviet play. Therefore, we are removing the Flamer upgrade, toning their vet 3 accuracy bonus, and upping their popcap to keep their scaling in line with other infantry.
- Flamer upgrade removed
- Vet 3 accuracy bonus reduced from 1.3 to 1.15
- Population cost increased from 7 to 8
- Veterancy requirements increased from 540/1080/2160 to 640/1280/2560
Guards (INFANTRY SCALING)
Guards were proving to over perform in ratio to their cost, appearing to supplement any strategy, thus, limiting variation in Soviet commanders.
- Manpower cost increased from 330 to 360
- PTRS damage vs infantry lowered from 27 to 20 (AT damage remains 40)
RGD-33 Fragmentation Grenade (Affects Partisans, but not Shocks)
* AOE far damage reduced from 0.5 to 0.25 (Same as MK2)
* Ready aim time increased from 0.125 to 0.625 (to match MK2 overall delay)
* Munitions cost reduced from 45 to 35
* Vet 2 accuracy bonus reduced from 1.3 to 1.14
* Vet 2 received accuracy bonus decreased from 0.83 to 0.88
* Vet 3 now grants a further 1.14 accuracy (1.3 total)
* Vet 3 now received accuracy bonus increased from 0.77 to 0.75, total received accuracy at vet 3 has been reduced from 0.6391 to 0.66.
M5 Half-Track (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The M5 itself has been lowered in manpower cost to better match its value.
- Manpower cost reduced from 270 to 250
M17 Quad (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We wanted to tone down the performance of the Quad to be in-line with Light Tanks and other suppression platforms. In order to make infantry counters to this unit viable, the M17 can no longer suppress enemy squads on the move.
- Moving Burst reduced from 1 to 0.5
- Moving accuracy reduced from 0.4 to 0.25
- Near rate of fire reduced from 1.24 to 1.15
- Accuracy reduced from 0.5/0.3125/0.125 to 0.34/0.28/0.1
- Near Cool-down modifier increased from 0.5 to 0.75
- Cannot suppress units while moving.
- Increased the chance for the Quad to take down an airplane (from 30 in 10000 to 30 in 100)
T-70 (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We feel that the T-70’s high damage and AOE allowed it to wipe infantry too effectively, particularly if they are clumped in cover.
- Manpower cost increased from 200 to 260
- AoE damage reduced from 1/0.35/0.05 to 0.65/0.35/0.15
- Scatter Max increased from 1.7 to 2.5
- Health increased from 320 to 400
- Crew repair removed
SU-76 (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The SU-76 barrage was weak but became problematic when multiple SU-76’s were on the field as simultaneous barrages could reliably dislodge support weapons and AT guns.
- Barrage now costs 15 munitions
Medkits (INFANTRY SCALING)
To give Wehrmacht more staying power on the field, Medkits will now fully heal up a squad.
- Medkits duration increased from 10 to 20
Pioneers (INFANTRY SCALING)
We felt that pioneer damage output was under performing and proving ineffective in combat.
- Near accuracy increased from 0.403 to 0.463
- Mid accuracy increased from 0.23 to 0.27
- Population reduced from 6 to 5
Assault Grenadiers (INFANTRY SCALING)
Whilst they have an initial impact, their damage fall off, manpower bleed, grenades and veterancy scaling made them not scale well or a viable choice in the late game. Therefore, to improve their scaling, we have made the following changes:
- Reinforce cost lowered from 28 to 26
- Grenade Assault munitions cost lowered from 45 to 30.
- Grenade Assault aim-time and ready-aim time reduced by half to allow faster throwing.
- Squad leader armour reduced from 1.5 to 1.
- Medical kits removed.
- Veterancy 1 now Grants -10% received accuracy and reduces recharge on sprint by 25%.
Panzer Grenadiers (INFANTRY SCALING)
Panzer Grenadiers are a strong unit but their timing means other factions already have veterancy on their infantry making it difficult for PGs to gain their own veterancy in a timely manner.
- Vet 1 now grants 0.84 received accuracy bonus
- Vet 2 received accuracy bonus reduced from 0.71 to 0.84 (~0.71 total)
G43 Package (Also affects Stormtroopers but not Grenadiers)
* Far aim time multiplayer reduced from 3.5 to 3. (Boosts long range DPS)
* Now increases sight range by 20%
222 Scout Car (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The 222 also wasn’t scaling with veterancy as well as other light vehicles and suffered from inconsistent damage output preventing it from tracking infantry properly. We also felt that the auto-cannon was too reliant on AOE for damage.
- Manpower cost increased from from 210 to 250
- Fuel cost increased from 15 to 30
- Veterancy requirements increased from 480/960/1920 to 720/1440/2880
- Acceleration increased from 2.4 to 3
- Spotting Scopes Sight bonus reduced from 2 to 1.4
* Accuracy changes from 0.06/0.04/0.02 to 0.05/0.04/0.03
* Autocannon Rate of fire multiplier from 1.4/1.2/1 to 1
* Autocannon penetration increased from 35 to 40
* Mid range distance from 15 to 20
* Autocannon AOE Near damage reduced from 1 to 0.6
* MG42 now properly tracks infantry
* Accuracy reduced from 0.6/0.425/0.25 to 0.4/0.35/0.25
* Accuracy increases with veterancy: +10%/+15%/+15%
* Range distance near from 10 to 0
* 0.75 Accuracy modifier versus Snipers (down from 1.5).
Note that, even though, it may appear that we are heavily reducing the MG’s damage output, however, the MG was never able to fire in the first place, due to a MG tracking bug.
Stug E (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The Stug E was proving to be overly effective for its cost, especially as a call-in tank that could bypass tech requirements. Furthermore, Target Weak Point allowed the Stug E to have strong anti tank utility even though it's primarily an anti-infantry vehicle.
- Manpower cost increased from 200 to 260
- Health reduced from 540 to 480 (Now Destroyed in 3 ATG shots)
- AOE distance reduced from 1/1.5/2.25 to 0.5/1/2
- AOE damage reduced from 1/0.15/0.05 to 0.75/0.35/0.15
- Radius from 3 to 3.5
- Scatter Max increased from 2.15 to 2.5
- Scatter Angle increased from 5 to 5.5
- Scatter offset turned to 0.
- Projectile no longer collides with terrain, can still collide with objects
Target Weak Point
* Target Weak Point now only disables turret rotation
* Damage reduced from 80 to 40
* Always penetrates
Puma (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The Puma serves the role of a anti-vehicle and soft counter to tanks, however, the Target Weak Point’s ability to stun tanks made it over perform for its cost and mobility.
Target Weak Point
* Target Weak Point now only disables turret rotation
* Damage reduced from 120 to 60
* Always penetrates
M1919 Light Machine Guns (INFANTRY SCALING)
The ability to equip two M1919 LMG’s on a squad was resulting in over performing long range DPS for a squad as durable as Riflemen or as cheap as Rear Echelon.
- Can no longer be double equipped via weapon racks.
Riflemen (INFANTRY SCALING)
To improve Wehrmacht's late game infantry scaling, USF Riflemen have received a slight reduction in their vet 3 bonus to their received accuracy.
- Vet3 Received accuracy was changed from -20% to -15%
81mm Mortar (INFANTRY SCALING)
The USF Mortar’s barrage, rate of fire and veterancy bonuses have been causing this unit to overperform in most engagements. Furthermore, it has overshadowed the more expensive pack howitzer, lacking only range on its barrage until the pack howitzer hits veterancy 2.
- Range reduced from 80 to 65
- Set-up duration decreased from 1 to 0.5
* Vet 0 now provides access to the Smoke Barrage ability
* Vet 1 reduced scatter bonus replaced by increase to Smoke Barrage range (80)
Vehicle Crews (LIGHT VEHICLES)
Critical repair allowed USF vehicles to escape too easily after getting caught by a Panzerfaust or hitting a mine.
- Veterancy requirements increased from 200/400/800 to 650/1300/2800
- Munitions cost increased from 10 to 25
- Delay increased from 0 seconds to 4 seconds.
M20 (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We wanted to make the M20 more accessible but also make its interaction with the 222 more consistent while lower its close range damage to limit its effectiveness at diving after support weapons and infantry on retreat. We also felt that the M20 vets up too slowly and without enough bonuses.
- Manpower cost reduced from 340 to 240
- Crew no longer start with Bazooka, it now must be upgraded
- Veterancy requirements lowered from 880/1760/3520 to 500/1000/2000
- 50cal accuracy reduced from 0.75/0.475/0.2 to 0.45/0.33/0.25
- 50cal accuracy increases with veterancy: +10%/+15%/+15%
Stuart (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We felt that the Stuart was overperforming in its role as an anti-infantry unit and as a strong vehicle hutner. Furthermore, its stun rounds allowed it to hunt down light vehicles that were designed to counter it.
- Manpower cost increased from 240 to 270
- Main gun damage vs infantry set to -25%
- MG Accuracy from 0.6/0.45/0.25 to 0.4/0.3/0.16667 (Hull & Coaxial)
- MG Incremental accuracy from 1.04 to 1 (Hull & Coaxial).
- Stun rounds only disables weapons and sight. Does not affect movement.
M15 AA Half Track (LIGHT VEHICLES)
Due to the changes made to the Stuart , the M15 needed to be brought in line to prevent it from becoming the new dominant meta choice.
- Manpower cost reduced from 350 to 310
- Main gun damage vs infantry set to -50%
- Veterancy 3 bonuses (accuracy/penetration) now apply to the main gun
M3 Half Track Call-In (LIGHT VEHICLES)
Given the timing, price and mode of operation of the M3 halftrack (reinforcement platform), we believe that the USF M3 halftrack performs more akin to other reinforcement halftracks, rather than the Soviet M3A1 halftrack.
- Hit points increased from 200 to 320
- Armour increased from 5.4 to 11
M5 Half Track Call-In (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We felt that this unit was arriving too early, especially compared to the Soviet equivalent.
- Command Point requirements increased from 3 to 4
- Manpower from 350 to 300.
Sturmpioneer (LIGHT VEHICLES/STRATEGIC DIVERSITY)
We felt that the risk vs reward for the Mechanised HQ as a tech choice was too high due it not offering any type of healing.
- Medical Supplies available at Vet 0
- Medical Supplies munitions Cost reduced from 40 to 20
- 50% of the vet 3 construction bonus moved to vet 1
251 Flak Half Track (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We’ve found that the 251 Half-Track was underperforming in its role as an anti-infantry unit due to its immobility and vulnerability to vehicle rushes, lack of infantry support, and inability to counter some of OKW’s primary threats such as MG lockdown.
- Garrison Damage Multiplier increased from 0.25 to 0.35
- Garrison Accuracy Multiplier increased from 0.4 to 0.5
- Defensive Smoke no longer requires vet 1
- Defensive Smoke munitions cost increased from 0 to 25
- Vet 1 now reduces cost of Defensive Smoke from 25 to 10
- Penetration increased from 20 to 30
- Minimum Range Removed
- Given handbrake ability to prevent accidental movement
- The FlakHT now displays the max range of the weapon when selected
Panzer 2 Luchs (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The Panzer 2 is a powerful unit with high AI damage, though was still a risky build order due to the lack of healing that came with the Mechanised HQ tech choice.
- Manpower cost reduced from 315 to 290
- AoE damage reduced from 1/1/1 to 0.6/0.5/0.1
- AoE distance reduced from 1/1/1 to 0.25/0.7/1
- Accuracy reduced from 0.775/0.66/0.56 to 0.65/0.5/0.4
- Vet2 accuracy reduced from 0.875/0.76/0.66 to 0.78/0.6/0.48
- Moving accuracy increased from 0.25 to 0.3
- Luchs MG incremental accuracy from 1.04 to 1.
2cm vs Garrisons
* Garrison Damage Multiplier from 0.25 to 0.3
* Garrison Accuracy Multiplier from 0.4 to 0.5
Puma (LIGHT VEHICLES)
Aimed shot was being used less for its utility and more for its guaranteed ability to wipe infantry on retreat.
- Aimed shot can no longer target infantry
PIAT’s (LIGHT VEHICLES)
We feel that PIAT’s are a primary influencer to why the British are experiencing a disparity in the early and late game anti-tank capability. PIAT’s also pose a problem between game modes, skill levels and maps due to the fact they must be manually and precisely aimed.
- Gave PIAT homing projectile, if there is no obstruction between the PIAT and the target
- PIATs have the same accuracy as bazookas for ranges between 0 and 30
- Adjusted scatter offset, so that misses are centered around an immobile target
- Range reduced from 45 to 30
- Damage reduced from 120/80 (penetrating hit/deflected hit) to 100/25
- Munitions cost increased from 40 to 50
- Fire-aim time reduced from 2.4 to 0.625 (reduces delay to fire)
- Cooldown increased from 0 to 1.775 (Keeps rate of the fire the same despite fire-aim time.)
- Reduced scatter, so that PIATs in indirect-fire mode are unreliable (especially when the user is suppressed)
Universal carrier (LIGHT VEHICLES)
Given the Universal Carrier’s low health, we felt that the damage of the WASP was too low for it to effectively dislodge exposed or garrisoned HMG teams, making British too reliant on the Mortar Pit and Sniper.
* Munitions cost reduced from 90 to 60
* WASP flame burst duration increased from 2 to 3
* WASP Cooldown from 2/3 to 3/4
* Damage versus Garrisons from 1.25 to 1
* Aim time increased to match 251
* Moving Accuracy from 0.5 to 1
* Flame can now fire over obstacles
* WASP DoT Radius from 5 to 3.
* Fire Aim Time from 0.125 to 1.375
* Ready-Aim Time from 0.375/0.625 to 0.375/0.375
AEC (LIGHT VEHICLES)
The AEC’s anti-infantry damage was too potent for a vehicle with so much anti-tank capability, yet its main gun was very inconsistent due to its large scatter. The AEC also suffered from extremely low armour causing it to be destroyed by S Mines and HMG teams too easily.
- Armour increased from 40 to 55
- Angle scatter reduced from 7.5 to 6
- Max scatter increased from 1.7 to 6.5
- Main gun AoE reduced from 1/0.25/0.1 to 0.33/0.15/0.05
- Machine gun accuracy reduced from 0.7/0.6/0.46 to 0.48/0.47/0.46
- MG incremental accuracy reduced from 1.04 to 1
- Medium crush replaced with light crush
* Added a projectile
* Scatter changed to match main gun
* Cone of fire increased from 5 to 10
* Stationary accuracy increased by 20% from the main gun
* Duration reduced 20 to 7
- Fixed an issue with certain squads breaking formation and leaving cover involuntarily (Sappers, Commandos, Officer).
- Fixed an issue with players being able to double-buy certain upgrades using macro-based cheats.
- Fixed an issue where several Off-map abilities (mostly belonging to Soviets, OST, OKW) could still be targeted in the base sector
- Fixed an issue where Paratrooper models had 1.5 popcap, as opposed to the intended 1 popcap per model.
- Fixed an issue where Paratroopers would receive an involuntary move command when reinforcing near a beacon.
- Fixed an issue where the USF Mechanized M3 halftrack would display an incorrect healthbar when captured.
- Fixed an issue where re-crewed M8 Scotts would lose access to their auto-attack when de-crewed when “Hold Fire” was active
- Fixed an issue where the Sherman Bulldozer “Hold Fire” ability was not applying correctly to the gun.
- Fixed an issue where static Howitzers (e.g., B4, ML-20, LeFH) would sometimes become temporarily unresponsive when given consecutive direction-facing commands.
- Fixed an issue where the UKF “Command Vehicle” ability would become permanently unavailable when the previous vehicle would become abandoned.
- Fixed an issue with UKF infantry gaining access to the wrong version of their intended Bren gun, when picking up a Bren gun from the ground.
- Fixed an issue with Anvil “Early Warning” not giving sight over captured territory. Note that the scope of the ability has been restricted: the only territory points that the player gains access to are those that the player captured themselves (i.e., not allied-captured territory), just like the similar OKW Overwatch commander ability
- Fixed an issue where Commando Ambush bonuses would apply inconsistently (sometimes none at all, other times permanently). The reworked Ambush requires commandos to be out-of-combat for 25 seconds, for 5 seconds of sprint & +50% accuracy on their Sten guns.
- Fixed an issue where the second mortar belonging to the mortar pit would deal reduced damage while barraging.
- Fixed an issue where the AEC would crush wall segments when driven next to them.
- Fixed an issue where the damage Sexton Creeping Barrage had not been increased to match the AoE damage of the normal barrage ability.
- Fixed an issue where Recovery Sappers would still apply their Vet1 Cover Bonuses to picked up weapons. Now, the ability correctly only applies to Sapper Sten guns only.
- Fixed an issue where USF/UKF medic squads would, sometimes, stop healing nearby wounded troops.
- Fixed an issue where Luchs Hold Fire would not prevent the MG from opening fire.
- Fixed an issue where UKF HEAT anti-tank grenades would, sometimes, fail to apply their snare.
- Fixed an issue where the USF mortar would become unresponsive when ordered to fire its smoke rounds
- Fixed an issue where Snipers would avoid engaging infantry units when the Sniper was cloaked without “hold fire” on.
- Fixed an issue with the G43 package interrogation ability that would not reveal all enemy units in a sufficiently-large map.
- Fixed an issue where the AoE of the Brummbar “Bunker Buster” ability was lower than that of the main gun of the Brummbar.
- Stormtrooper detection ability reverted to Vehicle Detection to fit the unit’s role
- Fixed an issue where Tank Hunter Infantry Sections would not suffer from reduced range to their “Heavy Gammon Bomb” throw ability.
- Fixed an issue where Raketenwerfer/Soviet AT guns crews would open fire and break stealth (thus ruin ambushes)
- Fixed an issue where the M1 57mm gun would not benefit from Soviet AT ambush tactics.
- The Raketenwerfer can now pick up medical supply drops from Sturmpioneers
Quality of Life Changes
- We have made improvements to all Squad formations in the game
- Prioritize Vehicle now only affects the main gun of the affected tank, but not the MGs. Thus, vehicles with the Prioritize Vehicles ability active will continue to engage infantry with their MGs.
- Base medics (OKW/Soviet/OST) will no longer chase after retreating units.
- Troop transports are given the “Handbrake” ability. This ability disables the unit from moving or rotating to make the following tasks easier: (i) loading/unloading troops (ii) setting up as a forward reinforcement point.
- Infantry units can target their snares at de-crewed/abandoned vehicles.
- Luchs is given access to the Prioritize Vehicles ability.
- AVRE given a “Hold Fire” command to make the bombard ability more responsive.
- Commandos given a UI indication while the bonuses of Ambush are active.
- USF/UKF Medics are given an auto-heal toggle. This way, the player can control whether they wish these medics to go after wounded units or not (e.g., to avoid putting the medics in danger)
- USF/UKF Medics will not chase after moving squads, to avoid unwanted long chases.
- Anti-infantry partisans no longer display the PPSh icon, to help the player identify any picked-up weapons.
- Due to interference with UKF teching, it will be no longer possible to call Gliders or Air Resupply operation in the base sector
- Elite Doctrine Stormtroopers can upgrade G43’s in enemy territory