[SOV][ALL]-[Veteran 1 abilities]

4 months ago

As we all know soviet vet 1 abilities are pretty useless for most units.

Trip wire flares
All Soviet infantry have this ability , cons ,penals guards , shocks ,partisans
Squad places a mine which detonates and reveals area for few seconds , mine also kills 1 model.
For example cons could use SVT upgrade unlock at vet 1 , which could give them some combat usefulness vs lmg grens or stg volks.
If penals work with 6 of those cons could get only 3.

Secure mode
Buffs soviet turreted tanks with super useful power , they can now cap! Why you ever want to cap with a tank.
If tank is repaired you should fight , if it's not you should repair , never fight with damaged tank , but when you can't fight you could cap!!! But while tank is capping and getting repaired secure mode looks absurd now engineers are in cap circle repairing tank , secure mode is useless. I can't think of any reason for tank having ability to capture territory despite laziness of a player.

Tracking
Grants vision on enemy infantry in fog of war also increases vehicles vision (or AT gun) slightly , duration is 20 seconds.
This ability is semi useful , for ISU-152 , su-76 and su-85 each get some benefits from using ability , ISU gets map hacks and can blind fire in fog of war , same as su76 , su85 gets very long range vision combined with focused sight.

Sprint
HMG squads run at max speed while ability is active
This ability is somewhat useful , you can use it for kiting 1 or 2 enemy squads if you land suppresion

I pointed out what i feel is now working at the moment and those are secure mode and trip wire flares.
Trip wire flares is pretty useless kills 1 model , gives you position of enemy unit , with that info you can't do much and planting that small explosive loses you time and gives you almost no advantage for doing so , unlike other vet1 abilities which are somewhat useful
Secure mode , do i need to explain this...

Changes that could make abilities more engaging. Give your ideas below.

IS-2 vet 1 ability idea
HEAT shell
IS-2 next shell deals 200 dmg with 50 bonus penetration , cooldown 60 sec , 40 munition

Medium tanks vet 1 idea
Instead of secure mode , engine overload
Makes tank go extreme fast for 5 seconds(faster than blitzkrieg) but tank gets engine damaged and loses 40 hp.
Can't be used with damaged engine.
Cons
SVT package , gives them 3 SVTs for 30 munition

Comments

4 months ago
    MeowMeow Posts: 165

Guards could use immobilization shot which stops enemy vehicle for 2 seconds , takes 3 seconds from casting to getting effect activated cost could be 40 munitions.

4 months ago
    I always wanted cons to get either rof or acc increase as timed vet ability on vet 2 or 3.

But now cons will probably be pushed towards utility i am not so sure what to give them them.

For t34 76 a heat or ap shot would do. Would make 85 shine a bit to much though

Is2 engine smoke screen sound good to me you can hide units when advancing or falling back.
    4 months ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 5,945
    edited February 15

Both, sov and ost should have revamped vet to actually match the unit, not only vet 1 ability, but in some units case whole vet(KV-1 with T34 bonuses anyone?).

Penals and PGs vet1 is a good start here.

4 months ago
    TheLeveler83TheLevele… Posts: 487
    edited February 15
    I have a thought on the t34 speed ability. Make it so that after 5 second the engine damage is temporarely between 5 to 10 seconds it will be dead 100% otherwise and very few will use it like ram today. it still gets 40 damage but the ability needs to be repaired/repurchased.

Time for engine damage/overheat speed bonus and repurchase cost we can fiddle with it.
    4 months ago
    MeowMeow Posts: 165

Another conscript vet 1 idea
    Heroic charge
    cost 20 munitions , duration 7 seconds
    Conscripts receive get reduced received accuracy and suppression for ability duration , numbers could be 1/2 or something like that.
    This would make them even better at charging with ooorha ability , and grant them no other offensive bonuses.
    Penals are for killing , conscript for throwing grenades , this ability would only improve that.

4 months ago
    Farra13Farra13 Posts: 573

I do think a vet idea for one of the OST infantry, grens preferably, rather than first aid, either an active or passive increase to capping speed. With such small squads, capping under fire is difficult due to their fragility, bonus capping speed reduces the risk.

4 months ago
    Commissar_Squad_RUCommissar… Russia Posts: 33
    edited February 16

Companion Meow agrees with you.
    It is necessary to change the First Veteran status for the Soviet. Because they aren't effective also useless

4 months ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,540

I like sprint on the maxim, I don't think that needs to go/be replaced. But for the love of god why is secure mode still a thing. If anything it should only be on T34/76s (conscripts in armor form, so they might as well cap) but the other tanks need a better bonus.

I would also like Ram to be less glitchy. For as much as its been nerfed (rightfully so, it was ungodly at one point) it still glitches out at times anyway, making it even less useful.

4 months ago
    The capture terretory imo only belongs on te t70. The t34 needs somthing else.

And the ram needs to deliver, its a 80 fuel temp snare with death sentence to user wich at the moment is inconsistent at best.
    4 months ago
    ImperialDaneImperialD… Posts: 2,276 mod

@Katitof said:
    Both, sov and ost should have revamped vet to actually match the unit, not only vet 1 ability, but in some units case whole vet(KV-1 with T34 bonuses anyone?).

Penals and PGs vet1 is a good start here.

Katitof's got the right idea here. Both need their vet 1 abilities to be overhauled. Not just the soviets.

But yeah. Soviets do need some work there. Partly so their vet 1 fits with the different tanks more.

4 months ago

@TheLeveler83 said:

Funny enough, I think the ability works really well on the IS-2, I've actually won a couple games by planting him on a contested VP and once even watched him shrug off everything short of a JT in the process.

4 months ago

@Farra13 said:

@TheLeveler83 said:

Funny enough, I think the ability works really well on the IS-2, I've actually won a couple games by planting him on a contested VP and once even watched him shrug off everything short of a JT in the process.

yes i had a game once like that with the t34/85 but that was once in all my games as soviets that i had to make use of it to win on crossroad. it just doesnt fit the t34 or the is2 imo, maybe if the coax or pintle can fire while capping would be good.

4 months ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,673
    Cap territory is like flare mines, its an alright ability, even a good ability but its a cop out. Wfa have all fancy vet tailored to the unit and its role and efa have blankets, up to WBP wehr infantry needed 2 squads just to make use of their ability... Which was never used effectively being a blank slot as far as vet.

Cap territory makes sense on lights, t34s are supposed to be numerous so it works on them too but only under the smallest of circumstances should there be a 230 fuel heavy tank alone in enemy territory, let alone with its gun disabled... The kv2 is a crap shoot that can barely defend itself to begin with, why the hell would anyone drive that behemoth into hostilr territory to begin woth let alone to cap?
    4 months ago
    PastulioPastulio Posts: 2,044

For T-34 i suggest vet 1 from Shermans. This tank must be used in numbers, so let him have ability for numbers.

4 months ago
    HingieHingie Posts: 1,890

Pfff... trip mines at least have a little use. Ever tried using counter barrage? Now thats a useless ability if I ever saw one. But I agree, EFA vet 1 are pathetic when compared to WFA ones. They should get a rework.

4 months ago
    Counter barrage isnt TOOO bad, just akward to use. It will be very powerful vs the wbp usf mortar
    4 months ago
    Tripwire were OK until someone smart decided to kill general purpose mines game.
    I basicaly quited playing after that.
    4 months ago

Counter barrage should come with an increased range, allowing a defensive mortar to fire at an offensive mortar, rather than having to expose itself by moving to the same range when trying to protect a bunker etc.

4 months ago
    That would make the ability usefull. Im not sure if counterbarrage is a mode or timed ability i cant remember lol.
    4 months ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,613

If counter barrage had an increased range, slower RoF, tighter spread and for gods sake let me move my bloody mortar while it's active it would be useful.

Also yes, it's a toggle.

4 months ago

I suppose you would set its range between 80-90, so that a brit pit still outranges it, but it can be deployed in a safer area to fire back on it, rather than be hugging the frontline and praying a wild cromwell doesn't appear.

I am not sure how this would apply to the P-werfer, i honestly don't think the ability at all suits the unit, it requires being close to be effective and counterbarrage requires the opposite really.

Perhaps following a historical use could be a creeping barrage or wide spread barrage of smoke rockets, enough to blind a large area or cover a big advance.

4 months ago

what would a werfer with incendiary be like?
    as funny as counter battery vs mortars is with the thing i agree it might not be the best use of that bastard

4 months ago

Only reason i avoided incendiary/gas (thinking blendkorper/wp) is both are so common currently, and I didn't want to see an overlap with the Stuka vus.

4 months ago
    comrade_daelincomrade_d… Posts: 2,938
    edited February 21

Problem with these abilities isn't really themselves, but rather that it's far too common. No one's every going to use tripwire flares on Guards if you can just use it from CEs or Cosncripts.

Just because Secure Mode works great for T-70, doesn't mean you give it to KV-2!

4 months ago

I think all soviet infantry should be given ability: "To the Last Man" at vet1.

4 months ago
    Actually to the last man would probably be pretty fun on cons, would make their flavour text pretty accurate too! Would need to either dial it back tho or their vet 3 would need to drop alot or we would end up with ruski rambo by the last man or 2
    4 months ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,540
    edited February 23

@Boris_yeltsin said:
    I think all soviet infantry should be given ability: "To the Last Man" at vet1.

If you're including doctrinal infantry with that, guards would be way too good, especially with their upgrades. It was one thing for a flamethrower squad, but you'll have a 4 man guards squad being stronger than a 6 man one (again w/ 28 upgrade), since the 2 guards with Nagants only really help the squads survivability. Bonus accuracy on the 28s and Guard PTRS might get wacky.

Same goes for bonus received accuracy on Shocks. A 6 man armored squad that already scales well does not need to get even hardier.

I honestly don't mind Cons getting the flares. You get hoorah right off the bat which is more than enough for me as far as abilities go. Not sure what should replace shocks/guards trip flares though, but definitely not to the last man