[USF]Mortar not properly nerfed

1 month ago
ImperialDaneImperialD… Posts: 2,244 mod
edited April 16 in Balance Feedback

So playing against it since the patch was released and it still felt too good. Looking at the notes, i can see why :

Cost reduced from 260MP to 240MP
Range reduced from 80 to 65
AoE near distance reduced from 1 to 0.75 (both attack and barrage)
Reduced the rate of fire of the barrage ability to OST mortar levels
Pack-up time improved from 1.9 to 1.1
Set-up duration decreased from 1 to 0.5
Veterancy 0 now provides access to a Smoke Barrage ability with 65 range
Veterancy 1 reduced scatter bonus replaced by increase to Smoke Barrage range (80)
Removed certain accuracy bonuses at Vet3 that would further increase the accuracy of the mortar (over other mortars)

Notice what is not changed ? Scatter. Scatter was the major issue of the USF mortar since it was so absolutely accurate it could instantly wipe most of your units, and the scatter was not touched at all with the mortar, range, AoE, but not the fact that it could directly land hits on your men and support weeapons.. Which it can still do with ease, meaning that combined with the reduced pack up time it can actually just quickly run up, wipe your support weapons then retreat.

In fact it is beyond me why the scatter was never touched when that was clearly the main issue and still is. It pretty much negates German mortars and any real counterplay against it.

So it still needs to be nerfed, and nerfed properly because the core issue with the bloody thing was never fixed, which was the scatter.

Comments

1 month ago
    Mr_SmithMr_Smith Posts: 289
    edited April 16
    If you do a text-search on the text you just quoted you will see that scatter was also nerfed.

Part of the reason why you might be experiencing that the mortar is accurate is because it is moving closer. This behaviour is identical for all indirect fire pieces in the game.

Part of the reason why we wanted a mortar with shorter range is so that players can start to become accustomed to that mechanic.

ps: due to a bug that was ninjafixed, the usf mortar's veterancy bonuses were permanent amd stacking with themselsves every time the mortar was recrewed.

ps2: scatter works hand in hand with aoe. Thus we could have only touched one of the two to achieve the goal. Nevertheless we touched both by smaller amounts.
    1 month ago

Not on the mortar itself only on the vet bonuses, meaning that the mortar itself will still outperform other mortars easily. Especially now it can move faster. Wehrmacht mortars will lose to it and it will generally do a ton of damage even at max range.

So yeah, the mortar has not been properly nerfed and still needs it's scatter/accuracy nerfed since that was the main issue in the first place. That it could very easily hit and do a lot of damage. Shaving 15 range of it won't make much of a difference, especially not when you allow it to easily shoot and scoot. And it will outperform other mortars easily. Which should not be the case for a mortar primarily intended for smoke purposes.

1 month ago
    Look.

The new USF mortar is a copy-paste stat-by-stat to the ostheer mortar except for:
    - range
    - aoe
    - packup time (it had to be better at something)

If your experience shows that the usf mortar is in anyway superior to the ost mortar, you are probably not using the ost mortar properly:
    - do you have sight on the enemy?
    - are you using the barrage ability?
    - how did the usf get close enough to barrage you, anyway

If the USF mortar is in range to barrage your ost mortar, it is probably in range of a riflegrenade.

If we nerfed vet0 stats anymore, the mortar would have been unable to vet in the first place (see Soviet potato-mortar).
    1 month ago
    edited April 16

And you look here. The USF mortar is clearly outperforming the Wehrmacht mortar every single time, you can check any replay and it will be the same case. The USF mortar is clearly better and more accurate than the wehrmacht mortar and it is clearly not a capy paste stat by stat of the wehrmacht mortar except for those 3 metrics. It just outdoes and that is that.

That was the problem all along, that the USF mortar was infinitely more accurate than the wehrmacht mortar or any other artillery piece and it was clearly never fixed.

And the soviet mortar is plenty fine, it sees usage and it does not have laser guided munitions like the wehrmacht one. Who is it here who doesn't know how to use a mortar ? Especially when the USF mortar was given for the explicit purpose of providing smoke, and trust me, none of the american players are using it for that because it just lands directly on top of whatever it wants.

The USF mortar is busted and you can claim it isn't for as long as you want. But when the accuracy of the mortar was the issue all along, and that hasn't been fixed. Then it is clearly still busted. So the accuracy needs to be sorted.

1 month ago

It's what I said on my first post. If you move your mortar closer it becomes more accurate.

Since the USF mortar cannot fire from long ranges, it is forced to move closer, where all mortars become more accurate.

If you think that this makes the USF mortar overperform, that should give you enough of a hint that you need to move your mortars closer, too, if you want better accuracy. That will also give you a clue about how to use all pieces of artillery in the game, properly.

That is an important lesson, and we believe that all players should be made aware of this at some point. This is why, again, we wanted to include a shorter-range mortar.

About the stats, if you don't trust me, open the modding tools and see for yourself.

If you don't trust the modding tools, here's a nice guide about how to disassemble the stats files and read them from the source:
    https://www.coh2.org/guides/11637/extracting-statistics-guide

1 month ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,636
    edited April 16
    I mean.. Its not unreasonable for the shorter ranged mortar to hit more accurately, its putting more on the line to actually fire, it needs to do so with a degree of reliability. Additionally the delayed mg for the usf makes keeping the enemy away from the mortar a bit trickier as well.

That said i wouldnt mind (to make it more unique) to reduce damage per shot to 60 but let it operate with only 1 crewman and give it a wicked fast barrage (compared to others) to reinforce it being a lighter mortar or something along those lines.

Also @Mr_Smith what are your thoughts on the prospect of reduced efficiency auto barrages but buffed (and maybe muni cost) on barrages to better reward micro over set, forget and benefit type style indirect?
    1 month ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,579

I'm still not particularly keen on Riflemen having such a good mortar for support. It well and truly does exist as a smoke platform. Riflemen never needed indirect support, they needed cheaper smoke nade tech.

Could you perhaps assuage a bit of doubt by confirming whether or not you have some greater plans to make Riflemen less standalone in the future as scope shifts?

1 month ago
    MeowMeow Posts: 165

@Lazarus said:
    I'm still not particularly keen on Riflemen having such a good mortar for support. It well and truly does exist as a smoke platform. Riflemen never needed indirect support, they needed cheaper smoke nade tech.

Could you perhaps assuage a bit of doubt by confirming whether or not you have some greater plans to make Riflemen less standalone in the future as scope shifts?

I agree , if someone needs good mortar that is soviet most since they can't hit enemies with cons from long range cover combat , OST also needs good mortar but USF least , they have best starting infantry and very good mortar was best before nerf.

1 month ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 925
    @thedarkarmadillo
    I don't agree with that sentiment.., I do not!

USF never needed a mortar in the first place. They were given it, so USF-players would have another form of opening other than rifles, moar rifles and moar, moar rifles!!

Only, what they got was a piece of 21st century homing, self-guiding, auto-hitting, heat-seeking, kraut-verifying crap, which was immensly better than.., anything really..!

I don't agree with your sentiment, because I don't agree that the USF should have had it to begin with!

IMHO, it shold be removed from the game entirely, but barring that it should get some nerfs! Now that thays done, let's see about removing it from the equation alk together..A
    1 month ago
    edited April 17

Look smith, you can keep saying all what you want about that, it changes nothing about the fact that the USF mortar was never supposed to be good, it was supposd to be a smoke delivery platform, so you can keep talking about range all you want. It has absolutely nothing to do with the matter, and even if they are in approximate ranges to each other, because guess what. They will both have the same level of accuracy according to you, but the USF mortar will clearly display better accuracy in that situation.SO i am not going to through the stats because i clearly don't need to.

The USF mortar is way too good still, because the accuracy, which was the main issue, never got touched. It is as simple as that. Range, in particular that small of a range nerf won't really matter, especially when it can now easily relocate meaning any counter mortar work is pretty much rendered twice as difficult.

Just nerf the accuracy. It's a T0 Mortar outperforming the wehrmacht mortar.. for a faction that doesn't need it. It has no place in the game

1 month ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 314
    edited April 17

While its impact has been reduced in my experience, the mortar should perform on a similar level to the Soviet 82mm mortar at best. They are up against 4 man squads/support weapons the majority of the time. Why on earth did Relic think copying the Wehrmacht mortar was a good idea :/ (I know know, they weren't thinking).

Historically it pains me too because German mortar crews were far more efficiently trained right up until the end. So it's funny seeing the USF get the advantage in setup/moving on times. But I get it's in the name of balance. At least the longer range makes sense as German mortar batteries would have a forward observer to direct fire/range. Thus making for much more accurate fire and improved efficiency.

1 month ago
    BeardedragonBeardedra… Posts: 1,472
    edited April 17

@TheLeveler83 said:
    imho the mortar should aid the riflemen in utility, being the smoke provider and doing limited damage. right now it does the work already before the riflmen can do their damage. ost weapon teams have very little to no reaction time after the first round hits from the usf mortar the second round will most likely wipe the weapon crew.

@SquishyMuffin i to believe the usf mortar should be more like the soviet one. it was designed fighting 4 men squads, and the ost one was fighting 6 men squads. the usf mortar is overkill on ost atm and especialy on ost weapon teams.
    when soviet mortar hits a ost weapon team it has a good chance to reposition or retreat mainly due to lower rof. The usf mortar hard counters 4 men weapon teams leaving very little room for repositioning or retreating. and ost depends the most on weapons teams. this is a big issue.

From what i know the sov and ost mortar have the same accuracy but the sov mortar fires a lot slower. the sov mortar is balanced vs ost. I think they should test with a copy of the soviet mortar to the usf mortar and give better smoke options with vet.

well, the soviet mortar fires slower but has a bigger crew to survive more hits.

the USF mortar would be garbage if it copied the soviet one when it doesnt have the same crew numbers.

cost wise the mortar would not be efficient then.

also, +1 to Smith lol

1 month ago

@Beardedragon said:

@TheLeveler83 said:
    imho the mortar should aid the riflemen in utility, being the smoke provider and doing limited damage. right now it does the work already before the riflmen can do their damage. ost weapon teams have very little to no reaction time after the first round hits from the usf mortar the second round will most likely wipe the weapon crew.

@SquishyMuffin i to believe the usf mortar should be more like the soviet one. it was designed fighting 4 men squads, and the ost one was fighting 6 men squads. the usf mortar is overkill on ost atm and especialy on ost weapon teams.
    when soviet mortar hits a ost weapon team it has a good chance to reposition or retreat mainly due to lower rof. The usf mortar hard counters 4 men weapon teams leaving very little room for repositioning or retreating. and ost depends the most on weapons teams. this is a big issue.

From what i know the sov and ost mortar have the same accuracy but the sov mortar fires a lot slower. the sov mortar is balanced vs ost. I think they should test with a copy of the soviet mortar to the usf mortar and give better smoke options with vet.

well, the soviet mortar fires slower but has a bigger crew to survive more hits.

the USF mortar would be garbage if it copied the soviet one when it doesnt have the same crew numbers.

Yes - but the Soviet mortar is only being protected by Maxims, GCS Maxims (ew) and Cons. Mortars have Riflemen and Ambulances.

1 month ago
    edited April 17

@SquishyMuffin said:
    While its impact has been reduced in my experience, the mortar should perform on a similar level to the Soviet 82mm mortar at best. They are up against 4 man squads/support weapons the majority of the time. Why on earth did Relic think copying the Wehrmacht mortar was a good idea :/ (I know know, they weren't thinking).

Historically it pains me too because German mortar crews were far more efficiently trained right up until the end. So it's funny seeing the USF get the advantage in setup/moving on times. But I get it's in the name of balance. At least the longer range makes sense as German mortar batteries would have a forward observer to direct fire/range. Thus making for much more accurate fire and improved efficiency.

Indeed, it makes little sense that they are on such an efficient level considering that the USF mortar is up against small squads compared to the wehrmacht one which is generally up against bigger squads.

So having it perform on the level of the soviet one would make sense. And would probably get them to use it for smoke, which was the intended purpose in the first place.

@Lazarus and do not forget that the USF mortar is T0. Meaning it can also end up easily being protected by a Stuart light tank.

1 month ago
    newshatterhandnewshatte… Posts: 268
    edited April 17

Yeah I agree, RM on their own are still pretty strong they don't need T0 support of a decent mortar, they mostly need it for smoke. I'd favour nerfing accuracy and maybe lowering price further to 220mp. It is fine if it is the worst mortar in the game since it is in the USF and even more fair so if it does not cost too much. This way it also leaves the pak howi more desirable.

1 month ago
    edited April 17

@Lazarus said:

@Beardedragon said:

@TheLeveler83 said:

Yes - but the Soviet mortar is only being protected by Maxims, GCS Maxims (ew) and Cons. Mortars have Riflemen and Ambulances.

yes but if im not mistaken the whole reason USF got a mortar was to make the opening game more varied for the USF which could consist of nothing but riflemen and rear echelons.

if the enemy went heavy MG spam you were forced to dump fuel in to early grenades which delayed your teching all the while your opponent was not delay tech wise.

Mortars help versus MGs without the USF having to tech grenades.

The soviets never really had a need to tech any form of molotovs to deal with MGs in the early game. going tier 1 means scout cars that pass through the field of fire (engineers with flamers in it if they garrison) or tier 2 with mortars by stock that way.

if the USF mortar is much more terrible than anyone elses how is it going to punish heavy MG opening games? then we're back to square one where you HAVE to get early grenades once more, thus removing the need for the mortar to even be a tier 0 unit.

and if its not a tier 0 unit it will just compete too much with the pack even though it has lower range, thus no one would buy it.

1 month ago

No, nothing like that. I never spammed MGs, just got one or two depending on the situation, problem is, the USF mortar can just pinpoint hit it, and most of my support weapons with ease, mortars, PaKs, infantry isn't safe either. The level of accuracy it has means it is a problem

Take this replay as an example
    https://www.coh2.org/replay/60689/g2-vs-ivon

That mortar ends up being quite nasty and outdoing the wehrmacht mortar if i don't remember incorrectly. It does not win the fight on it's own, but the idea of it sucking after a certain point ends up not true.

Thusly the idea of it being only good vs MG heavy openings ends up false as it works vs most wehrmacht openings because it can hit any wehrmacht unit head on and in several cases either leaves the unit near death or wiped. The USF mortar is astoundingly accurate, and that was the issue over a year ago and that is the issue that has not been fixed. Feel free to give it back it's range, just tone down the accuracy. That very thing has had people frustrated over the mortar since it was introduced to the game a year ago. Not the range, the accuracy.

1 month ago
    edited April 17

@ImperialDane said:
    No, nothing like that. I never spammed MGs, just got one or two depending on the situation, problem is, the USF mortar can just pinpoint hit it, and most of my support weapons with ease, mortars, PaKs, infantry isn't safe either. The level of accuracy it has means it is a problem

Take this replay as an example
    https://www.coh2.org/replay/60689/g2-vs-ivon

That mortar ends up being quite nasty and outdoing the wehrmacht mortar if i don't remember incorrectly. It does not win the fight on it's own, but the idea of it sucking after a certain point ends up not true.

Thusly the idea of it being only good vs MG heavy openings ends up false as it works vs most wehrmacht openings because it can hit any wehrmacht unit head on and in several cases either leaves the unit near death or wiped. The USF mortar is astoundingly accurate, and that was the issue over a year ago and that is the issue that has not been fixed. Feel free to give it back it's range, just tone down the accuracy. That very thing has had people frustrated over the mortar since it was introduced to the game a year ago. Not the range, the accuracy.

does the USF not have the same accuracy as the wehrmacht mortar? i dont see any specific point in which it would be OP, looking at the stats.

as far as i can see the USF have lower range than the wehrmacht one, so you can always hit him without him hitting back. and given that the USF dont field any MGs in the early game, theres no suppression holding the axis army back, only riflemen. nothing stops a grenadier from running up and rifle grenading that USF mortar. well maybe the faster setup timer and such does, but given how close it is to the fight now with lower range, that sort of makes sense imo.

besides, it doesnt matter what you personally did, some people most certainly spammed MGs and bunkers by the seconds as wehrmacht, and they often became heavily entrenched in the early game. and just spending manpower after manpower in the ealy game to buy nothing but riflemen was boring.

1 month ago
    @Beardedragon
    Just because nobody was/is buying an early mg as USF, dosent mean that they shouldnt in some cases.
    If their opponent is going for a build that requires you to halt the advance of their forces, the USF does possess an mg to do just that.
    Simply ignoring that mg and then claiming you need something else is weird.
    That's like saying that you want the taste of cheese in your hamburger, but you don't want to get a cheeseburger, so instead you want the burgerjoint to make you a hamburger with cheese in it..! :#
    1 month ago
    edited April 17

@Baálthazor said:
    @Beardedragon
    Just because nobody was/is buying an early mg as USF, dosent mean that they shouldnt in some cases.
    If their opponent is going for a build that requires you to halt the advance of their forces, the USF does possess an mg to do just that.
    Simply ignoring that mg and then claiming you need something else is weird.
    That's like saying that you want the taste of cheese in your hamburger, but you don't want to get a cheeseburger, so instead you want the burgerjoint to make you a hamburger with cheese in it..! :#

what are you saying.

you cant get an early MG as USF as it requires teching.

you cant protect your Mortar (tier 0) in the opening game with suppressive fire from an MG that requires teching, that much should be plain obvious as the MG comes later.

basically everything you said makes no sense. i never said USF had no MGs. i said they dont have MGs in the early game which they dont.

1 month ago
    Ofc they do. There's a difference between an early mg like the M2 and a super-early mg like the mg42.
    But they are both still early enough to do the same job. The only difference is that the mg42 can be used to support your initial build, rather than your early game build.

But the M2 absolutely comes early enough to support your mortar, just not right from the start.
    1 month ago

@Baálthazor said:
    Ofc they do. There's a difference between an early mg like the M2 and a super-early mg like the mg42.
    But they are both still early enough to do the same job. The only difference is that the mg42 can be used to support your initial build, rather than your early game build.

But the M2 absolutely comes early enough to support your mortar, just not right from the start.

im only talking about the opening game where all you could ever build before was riflemen and rear echelons as combat units.

its nice for them to have something else than riflemen spam.

and in the opening game, theres no MG protecting your mortar.

1 month ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,636
    To play devils advocate one COULD make use of fighting pits to cover their mortar...

Actually... What about making the mortar super UP (basicly a smoke machine/major annoyance) BUT let it garrison a pit for normal mortar range

Static means vulnerable, but still defensive. Makes pits more useful, diversifies build.
    1 month ago

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    To play devils advocate one COULD make use of fighting pits to cover their mortar...

Actually... What about making the mortar super UP (basicly a smoke machine/major annoyance) BUT let it garrison a pit for normal mortar range

Static means vulnerable, but still defensive. Makes pits more useful, diversifies build.

im all up for making it different in a way, but im not really interested in the USF riflemen losing their ability to smoke.

1 month ago
    edited April 17

@Beardedragon said:

@Lazarus said:

@Beardedragon said:

@TheLeveler83 said:

yes but if im not mistaken the whole reason USF got a mortar was to make the opening game more varied for the USF which could consist of nothing but riflemen and rear echelons.

Okay. But if Riflemen are balanced around not having ready access to excellent support teams and suddenly they get T0 minute 0 access to an excellent support team, then by definition the faction is no longer adhering to its own rules and something has to give.

@Beardedragon said:

if the enemy went heavy MG spam you were forced to dump fuel in to early grenades which delayed your teching all the while your opponent was not delay tech wise.

Neither here nor there, but USFs teching was never exactly expensive. They could afford a sidegrade.

@Beardedragon said:

if the USF mortar is much more terrible than anyone elses how is it going to punish heavy MG opening games?

By using the smoke function instead of insta-wiping everything.

Ostheer lives and dies on its support teams. That's why they get the stats they have. USF lives and dies on its riflemen. That's why they get the stats they have. Ostheers support teams are now no longer competitive vs USF thanks to USF having an Ost mortar (albeit with slightly smaller range). USFs infantry are still plenty competitive vs Osts. By definition and design the match up has been broken by the addition of the mortar as a dps platform. Something needs to give and it's either Riflemen or mortars.

1 month ago

well. if they want to try and lower its damage and give it a vet 0 smoke screen ability with lower cooldown for it to be used more often i suppose its worth trying.

but just outright making it worse just makes it a unit not really worth buying.

1 month ago
    edited April 17

@Beardedragon said:
    well. if they want to try and lower its damage and give it a vet 0 smoke screen ability with lower cooldown for it to be used more often i suppose its worth trying.

Ah - the mark of a man who never uses smoke.

The USF mortars smoke screen is vet 0, and is off cooldown before the barrage finishes. How much faster do you want it to be?

1 month ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,520

15 Range shorter than all other mortars, and it got that range in the same patch that made the vet 3 range bonus for indirect fire only apply to barrage and not auto-fire as well. This thing dies all the time, and its best feature is it can run away quicker than other mortars.