[GCS v1.3] Maxim feedback

1 month ago

(Copying from Miragefla's thread)

Hey everyone, I thought I would make this topic and poll to get a gauge on how the Maxim feels with the recent changes since it's a major changes to Soviet T2.

We did a lot of changes to try and get it to work as an ACTUAL machine gun rather than an a-move weapon that scaled off late game which could not hold/defend territory. We're hoping we can get it right so the weapon serves as a support weapon. And yes I know, the Maxim does not have great infantry to support it, but that's another discussion for another day.

To re-iterate what has changed, here are the notes courtesy of Mr. Smith and his organization:

Maxim

Arc of fire increased from 60 degrees to 90 degrees (other MGs have 90-120 degrees)
Setup time from 2 to 3 (other MGs have 3)
Burst duration from 2.25 to 4.5
Damage reduced from 4 to 3 (the DPS of the Maxim remains the same)
Tracking speed from 35 to 28
Reinforcement cost of initial crew from 15 to 20
Sprint removed from Vet1
Sustained fire ability added at Vet1

Suppression changes:
Suppression reduced from 0.00015909 to 0.00006
Suppression versus light cover from 0.5 to 0.75
Suppression versus heavy cover from 0.1 to 0.2
Suppression vs suppressed targets increased from 0.5 to 0.65
Nearby suppression modifier from 0.8 to 1.25
Nearby suppression radius increased from 10 to 13

Sustained fire:
Increases burst length duration by x2
Reduces reload time by 0.5 (multiplicative)
Reduces cooldown time by 0.5 (multiplicative)
Forces a reload at the beginning of the ability
Cancels (with no refund) if the Maxim moves
30 second duration
50 seconds cooldown
Costs 15 munitions

Is the Maxim a viable machine gun?

• Yes
  • No
  • Requires Additional Adjustment (Please Explain)

Comments

1 month ago
    VipperVipper Posts: 3,320
    edited April 20

I have tested the maxim only abit vs AI but it seems to me that the arc when in garrison is to wide.

Imo the unit is OP when used in garrison due to large crew and worse/later counter available to axis then to allies.

1 month ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 317

The arc is exactly the same as the MG42 (honestly don't know if that's always been the case or not). I'd like to understand which MG is suppose to win when both 'meet' each other (it can/does happen). Be it in buildings or in the open. In the open the MG42 lost even though it suppressed the maxim - is that a bug? when an mg suppresses its contemporary but still loses? In buildings I assume the maxim will also win.

Makes the MG42 at face value seem a little lackluster as its only advantage is that extra 30 degree arc in the open. Which isn't too grandiose as the 90 degree of 50cal and now maxim is more than enough imo on most of the maps.

1 month ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 5,935

@SquishyMuffin said:
    The arc is exactly the same as the MG42 (honestly don't know if that's always been the case or not). I'd like to understand which MG is suppose to win when both 'meet' each other (it can/does happen). Be it in buildings or in the open. In the open the MG42 lost even though it suppressed the maxim - is that a bug? when an mg suppresses its contemporary but still loses? In buildings I assume the maxim will also win.

Makes the MG42 at face value seem a little lackluster as its only advantage is that extra 30 degree arc in the open. Which isn't too grandiose as the 90 degree of 50cal and now maxim is more than enough imo on most of the maps.

Its always been like that when garrisoned.

1 month ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,642
    @vipper im not sure what can be done to make a maxim in a building less of a threat without gutting the ever loveing fuck out of it, all mgs in buildings are spooky as fuck (even the mg34 does alright in a building)

Soviet are fairly advantaged in urban environments so the maxim leaning that way isnt a stretch, i think the important direction to go is more accessible counters vs the "remove all teeth" route.

Smoke for the okw and something burny for the ost would go a long way i think
    1 month ago

6 points of suppressioan are not enought, even 4 vet Obers suppress better. If you want the Maxim to be a defensive MG, 8 points would be the best, plus make the gun teleport to another teammember once it's last gunner is dead while retreating.

1 month ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 4,642
    Maxim isnt supposed to be a defensive MG thats why it has 6 men.
    @vipper was thinking about the building thing, what do you think a 5 man crew would be like? Give the gunner green cover (from the shield) to make up the difference out of garrison but make er a bit squishier in garrison (maybe allow vet 3 to up the crew?)
    1 month ago
    BeardedragonBeardedra… Posts: 1,472
    edited April 21

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    @vipper was thinking about the building thing, what do you think a 5 man crew would be like? Give the gunner green cover (from the shield) to make up the difference out of garrison but make er a bit squishier in garrison (maybe allow vet 3 to up the crew?)

true but its made in to a closer to be traditional MG than before with this patch. so you could argue its meant to be a defensive weapon now.

1 month ago
    PastulioPastulio Posts: 2,040

@thedarkarmadillo said:

That's whole problem of Maxim. This "assault HMG" concept is nothing but balance problems from start.

IMO if it was a defencive HMG like all other, it won't be a problem ( at least not bigger than other MHG spam).

1 month ago
    thekingsownthekingso… Posts: 410

It hands down absolutely wrecks the mg 42 in hmg combat so yeah

1 month ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,586

Well the plus side in the open it's still flankable. But really it's primary problem - that is taking forever to force it out of a building (especially WFA) with indirect, still applies. Unless there's a overhaul of indirect vs buildings in the future somewhere, the problem is still the 6 man crew. We've got Vickers, we've got .50s, we've got 42s and 34s. All somewhat difference in their role, all somewhat difference in their performance, none of which are spammable - and the common theme among them is 4 man crews. It's the only common thread.

2 weeks ago
    ofieldofield Posts: 621
    edited May 10

I prefer the old maxim, i know maxim spam was a nuisance. But the maxim is supposed to be an attack-support weapon. fast setup, narrow arc. now it's just another crippled defensive weapon.

Relic pls revert this change.