Faceoff at Rostov impossible to beat on Hard.

3 years ago
MakemapMakemap Posts: 51
edited April 2017 in Campaign Discussion

Operation Barbarossa. Faceoff at Rostov is super unbalance. The Soviet AI seems to have like twice the population and build way too fast. They build so many tanks before I can even get the Pazner 4 rolling out. Pz4 deals way less damage than T-34 and I have to face freaking KV-1. I cannot even set up defenses. German tanks are too weak. AT gun cost too much manpower. About every on the German side is too slow.
We should get the building for free or nerf the Soviet side. Too many crossroads with prevent players from narrowing down the too.

Comments

3 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951

I last beat it before the Soviet tech changes, so I don't know if this still works with T3 KV-1s with KT armor.

Only way I know how to beat this is to cheese it. Get a friend, take your starting army with a minesweeper and some mortars/mgs and hit left side of the enemy base and immediately wipe their base. There's no MG there, so use your sweeper, roll in and lock them in their own base while you kill the base structures and infantry.

3 years ago
    MakemapMakemap Posts: 51

Aqua said:
    I last beat it before the Soviet tech changes, so I don't know if this still works with T3 KV-1s with KT armor.

Only way I know how to beat this is to cheese it. Get a friend, take your starting army with a minesweeper and some mortars/mgs and hit left side of the enemy base and immediately wipe their base. There's no MG there, so use your sweeper, roll in and lock them in their own base while you kill the base structures and infantry.

About that, AI is too smart now. Stug 3 E is garbage and keeps missing for no reason. Soviet AI builds nothing but Guards and Penal battalions. They even spam AT grenades if your too close. They just have way too many infantry. This is stupid. Their population seems to be over 100. They just keep storming with infantry and you can never resupply your infantry, like wave after wave and after wave. By the time I get bunkers built. KV-1 comes in and I have no manpower for AT Gun. Its like the AI has infinite resource out of no where.

3 years ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,096

If I recall Rostov is the map where the more VPs you hold the bigger bonus your opponent gets? In that case capture map and ignore the VPs. Still defend them, just don't cap them. Stormtrooper doctrines should work to get you STGs, blob them the kill the enemies infantry and use whatever source of AT you like. I recommend spamming muni caches and mines to help cripple the KVs. Once you have a real army figured out, either cap the VPs and prepare yourself for the onslaught, or just rush the enemy base and wipe it out.

3 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2017

@Makemap said:
    About that, AI is too smart now. Stug 3 E is garbage and keeps missing for no reason. Soviet AI builds nothing but Guards and Penal battalions. They even spam AT grenades if your too close. They just have way too many infantry. This is stupid. Their population seems to be over 100. They just keep storming with infantry and you can never resupply your infantry, like wave after wave and after wave. By the time I get bunkers built. KV-1 comes in and I have no manpower for AT Gun. Its like the AI has infinite resource out of no where.

https://www.coh2.org/replay/61049/cheesing-rostov-tow

Here's a replay of me doing it with an AI ally. I'm pretty tired and made a bunch of stupid mistakes, plus I got loaded out with the default three doctrines, but still manage to pull it off without much trouble. Hopefully this helps you.