Ardennes assault final mission crash.

2 years ago

After I complete mission on Able company and just few seconds on Baker company my game is instant crash and get bug splash.
I have done what I have to do on suggest is update graphic driver (only reinstall windows 10 what I don't and I won't)

I could played this mission before and I play again in general difficulty again right now and this is the last mission which I stuck because this crash.

I have attached log of the mission.

Comments

2 years ago
    WaloexWaloex Posts: 3
    edited December 2017

I have the exact same bug in the same situation, a few seconds after switching to Baker Company.

I have tried verifying integrity, clearing appcache, updating windows and doing those again, clearing the "Company of Heroes 2" folder in My Documents. I have no mods installed.

I have noticed both myself and above have this error in the warnings.log (attached as well).

GameObj::OnFatalScarError: [Command_PlayerPosAbility, Player (ID 1002) doesn't own ability 'recon_sweep'
    Lua Command.scar"]

Next, I will attempt to redownload CoH2 and failing that, will restart campaign replacing Baker with Fox company. I understand this is a relatively rare bug on an aging game (that I have seen no other crashes for so far), so I appreciate any help because I would really like to finish Ardennes.

UPDATE:
    Reinstalling did not solve the issue. Attempting to run it in "-dev" mode freezes the game at the same point with "Fatal Scar Error - Execution Paused" message on the screen. Resuming game causes the error to appear again, with the console repeating the same message above about "doesn't own ability 'recon_sweep'".

2 years ago

So ... avoid Baker Company would be solution ?

2 years ago

I doubt it, but please let me know if that works as a work-around!

2 years ago

I have already tried. It's still crash even I don't play Baker Company and take Fox instead. (By edit saved)
    I guess the problem would be AI in the mission and that's why it still crash by anyway.

I have attached log of the mission again.

2 years ago

Same for me. After e few seconds when switching to second company it crashes.

2 years ago

I have the same bug.

2 years ago

I have this bug as well.

2 years ago
    WalkiWalki MunichPosts: 18
    edited December 2017

Solution Workaround to the bug:
    Let Able company die (let all your units be wiped out, blow 'em up yourself if needs be before taking the artillery). You will fail the objective but Baker will not result in a bugsplat and will also suffer incoming artillery fire as a punishment, however you will be able to complete the mission.

Another solution might be to avoid Able (Airborne) company.

Solution for the developers:
    It's a SCAR error:
    file: DATA:scenarios\metamap\challenges\siegfried_line\Siegfried_Line_obj_BreakLine.scar
    line: 125
    explanation: Command_PlayerPosAbility, Player (ID 1002) doesn't own ability 'recon_sweep'

Relevant code:
    Comment this out or make ABILITY.AEF.RECON_SWEEP part of Baker as well and then it will work:
    Cmd_Ability(player3, ABILITY.AEF.RECON_SWEEP, Marker_GetPosition(mkr_line1_center06), nil, true)

Siegfried_Line_obj_BreakLine.scar:

--If Airborne alive, give flyby to player. Callback from objective start.
    function _GiveAirborneGift(data)

if(t_challengeData[1].completed) then
            --TODO:DLC - add hooks for Commander assistance opportunities. 
            if(t_challengeData[1].commander == CD_AIRBORNE) then
                --Airborne aid
                Util_StartIntel(EVENTS.Artillery_AirborneGift)
                Cmd_Ability(player3, ABILITY.AEF.RECON_SWEEP, Marker_GetPosition(mkr_line1_center06), nil, true) 
                UI_CreateMinimapBlip(eg_line1_center, 10.0, BT_General)
            elseif(t_challengeData[1].commander == CD_RANGER) then
                --Recon aid
                Util_StartIntel(EVENTS.FoxAssistanceRangers)
                Util_CreateSquads(player1, nil, SBP.AEF.RANGER_SQUAD_MP, mkr_spawnRoad, mkr_camStart_road)
                UI_CreateMinimapBlip(mkr_camStart_road, 7.0, BT_General)
            end

elseif(not t_challengeData[1].completed) then
            Util_StartIntel(EVENTS.WarnEnemyArtillery)
            _FireArtilleryOnPlayer()
            UI_CreateMinimapBlip(mkr_artyTarget_02, 8.0, BT_General)
            UI_CreateMinimapBlip(mkr_artyTarget_03, 8.0, BT_General)
            Rule_AddInterval(_FireArtilleryOnPlayer, 70)
            for k,v in pairs(t_artyTargets) do
                UI_CreateMinimapBlip(v, 5, BT_General)
            end
        end
    end

2 years ago
    PriCapPriCap Posts: 6
    edited December 2017

So . . . the problem come from Able company '_'
    And how that code will be solution ?

2 years ago
    edited December 2017

@Kerorocaptan said:
    So . . . the problem come from Able company '_'
    And how that code will be solution ?

It basically shows which part of the code is triggering the error and the one Relic (which is hopefully reading this) has to fix.

2 years ago
    dukejasondukejason Posts: 1,404 mod

I will personally show the dev team this topic and I will get back as soon as I have solution. I am sure this issue will be solved.

2 years ago

@dukejason said:
    I will personally show the dev team this topic and I will get back as soon as I have solution. I am sure this issue will be solved.

I have same bug, Able company first then Baker and crash.
    Log says:
    13:31:19.23 SCAR ERROR Callstack:
    C [C] Ln -1 (Command_PlayerPosAbility)
    Lua Command.scar"] Ln 1253 (Cmd_Ability)
    Lua Siegfried_Line_obj_BreakLine.scar"] Ln 125 (callback)
    Lua Events.scar"] Ln 219 (__Event_eventChecker)
    13:31:19.23 GameObj::OnFatalScarError: [Command_PlayerPosAbility, Player (ID 1002) doesn't own ability 'recon_sweep'
    Lua Command.scar"] Ln 1253 (Cmd_Ability)
    Lua Siegfried_Line_obj_BreakLine.scar"] Ln 125 (callback)
    Lua Events.scar"] Ln 219 (__Event_eventChecker)

Iam just curious, as a sw dev myself, how this bug never appeared before when this is a 3 years old DLC? Or the december update broke this?

Thank you for your help!

2 years ago

@TankDoc said:
    Iam just curious, as a sw dev myself, how this bug never appeared before when this is a 3 years old DLC? Or the december update broke this?

They are using one global luaconsts.scar file that houses all reference blueprints in one giant lua table. Some SP missions use the MP version of their ability. If you therefor change/move/delete it, it can quickly break SP missions without anyone noticing in QA. This is why there are usually [ability]_sp.rgd files set up, so this exact thing doesn't happen.

2 years ago

Same bug, sadly I just bought this game one week ago, hope they fix it

2 years ago

Thanks Walki! Workaround worked for me, and it's good enough that I can finish the campaign until an official fix comes through.

2 years ago

bjerson said:

Have you tried my workaround?

@Waloex said:
    Thanks Walki! Workaround worked for me, and it's good enough that I can finish the campaign until an official fix comes through.

Thank you :smile:

2 years ago

@Walki said:

bjerson said:

@Waloex said:

Worked for me too, I killed every enemy and capped points with able except one artillery, and then suicide with satchels :( After that it was easy to take the last arty with the attacker company.

2 years ago

@TankDoc said:

@Walki said:

bjerson said:

@Waloex said:

Worked for me too, I killed every enemy and capped points with able except one artillery, and then suicide with satchels :( After that it was easy to take the last arty with the attacker company.

Yah, it's unfortunate. It cost me my gold medal :/.

2 years ago

Sadly i did a rage quit, where i have to controll baker company. Any solutions to go back to able company?

2 years ago

I faced the same issue too! I thought the first time was a quirk, but then on the second crash; I rage quit and found this forum.

I can't find the '.scar' file so I just decided to lose Able company. Lol, literally killed 2/3 artillery, then started bombing my own squad and let the enemy finish off the last few.

This allowed me to continue with Baker and Fox company without problem (I chose Fox to lead the final assault). I also used my artillery to knock out the enemy's artillery, which successfully destroyed it, but somehow I still kept getting barraged with shells. Weird.

I got my gold medal, though! :smile:

I hope this helps you to finish off the game. Thanks @Walki.

P.S. I found that you can literally change the Requisition points you have by modifying the last line in C:\...\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\Savegames\ArdennesAssault\save1\ardennes_assault.xml

i.e. < requisition type="uint">1000</ requisition> without spaces.
    This still allowed me to complete the game succesfully.

2 years ago
    edited December 2017

@Balush said:
    Sadly i did a rage quit, where i have to controll baker company. Any solutions to go back to able company?

It should automatically revert the mission. If you Alt + F4 and then relaunch the final mission.

@atoniolin said:
    I faced the same issue too! I thought the first time was a quirk, but then on the second crash; I rage quit and found this forum.

I can't find the '.scar' file so I just decided to lose Able company. Lol, literally killed 2/3 artillery, then started bombing my own squad and let the enemy finish off the last few.

That part was meant for the developers @Relic. It's inside one of the .sga archives.

No worries I got my gold medal in some other way ;). I know my way around the code.

2 years ago
    zub_grub21zub_grub21 Posts: 2
    edited January 2018

What if you were to select fox, baker and dog and left able out of it from the begining? would that still trigger the same error? As I am also experincing the same error.

2 years ago

I have reached out to devs and made them aware of issue,please be patient.

2 years ago

I have the same problem after deciding to re-play the Ardennes campaign. When I initially played it several years ago when it came out I had no problems. But now I get the exact same bug as reported above: a crash just after I take out the artillery with the Able Company and switching to the frontal assault with Rangers Company.
    All the latest drivers, Windows updates, game files hash check okay with Steam.
    I have almost 800 hours playing this game, mostly on multiplayer.
    It's sad this bug wasn't spotted in time before various updates were rolled in. New players trying this game and going into the campaign will be easily alienated by the frustration of not being able to finish the game so close to the conclusion.
    Unlikely they will be trilled by any further Relic games.

2 years ago

Did you guys start fresh after the patch or was this done from a save before patch?

2 years ago
    IceKriIceKri Posts: 2

I have started the game after Dec patch. I have same issue, after defeating German artillery with Abel company, game crush when it go through second (Baker company).

Thanks.

2 years ago

Same problem, started the campaign after the most recent patch.

2 years ago

@dukejason said:
    Did you guys start fresh after the patch or was this done from a save before patch?

After the patch. Fresh start.

2 years ago

@Ramthor said:
    It's sad this bug wasn't spotted in time before various updates were rolled in. New players trying this game and going into the campaign will be easily alienated by the frustration of not being able to finish the game so close to the conclusion.
    Unlikely they will be trilled by any further Relic games.

Yup, like me, I got base game for free from humble bundle, I liked it so I looked into it what else they offer, I was excited about ardennes assault and franchise edition (includes everything, even COH1) was on sale for 17 euros so I bought it for myself as a xmass present, but I wasn't able to finish the campaign in the holidays, only with the workaround posted here. Sad.

2 years ago

I got a hard copy of the game back in 2014 and this error started for me after the december update