Not sure what I'm doing wrong..

2 years ago

I hope someone reads this and offers up some suggestions. Looks like this forum is all but dead because the game is somewhat "aged" but I just got it from "Humble" (I think) for free and have been giving it a go.
I'm playing the USA vs. Wehrmacht AI (on easy) on the Stalingrad map and for the life of me, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I'll hold 2 of the 3 points virtually the whole game and unfortunately my command points aren't that high. Then all of a sudden the AI shows up with a tank (yes, 1 tank) and starts laying waste to my headquarters. I don't have enough command points to build anything to take out the tank and their machine gunners seem to just mow down anyone that gets close to pick up a bazooka.
I'm determined to win this and do not want to move onto anything else till I can defeat the EASY AI running in this game.
I've watched several matches to get some hints/tips on what they are doing but I can't seem to get my command points to increment as quickly as the AI is doing.
I have read to get the command points to increment faster I have to basically "build stuff/destroy stuff/lose stuff/etc." But seems I'm still not doing something right.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks everyone!

Tagged:

Comments

2 years ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2017
    Firstly, I can assure you that this forum is FAR from dead, mate.

Secondly, I don't know didly about compstomps, but let me tag the resident wizard of this site and maybe he can help you out.

@thedarkarmadillo
    Care to chime in, mate? ;)
    2 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Baalthazor! I guess using the word "dead" is a strong word. It may be just for this particular section of the forums because I started looking in other sections and see they are alive and well.
    Look forward to any input I can get on my issue. Whatever info you need from me, let me know. I've played this particular map about 7 times already and as the USF so can readily supply you with information.

2 years ago

sounds like you are looking foe aid from your commander (given the CP stuff) so thats your first mistake.
    you want to use your commander choice to supplement your play, not make it
    secondly, USF has split teching, so how you tech decides how you prepare for armour. captian is the safest bet, you can get a light tank to fight enemy lights and help against medium and heavy tanks, but also an AT gun to punch through those panzers.
    lieutenant is a bit more of a gamble, its cheaper and more AI oriented but cant take on tanks if you are crafty. the M20 lays mines that immobilize tanks and the crew has a bazooka to help finish them off, but its not a sure thing.

command points do increase by building and killing and what not but you should be focused on fuel all day every day. grab those points to ensure you can tech up and build armour while denying it to the enemy.

if you got the whole of what coh 2 has to offer try giving a campagn a go (arddenes assault is fantastic) it gives you a bit more structure to learn the ropes

streams are also a great way to see whats what

if you would like post your steam name and i/others can hop in a game with you and try and help you out
    outside actually seeing how you play i cant help much more than that

good luck comrade!

2 years ago

Good info here! Thanks!
    Let me ask you this regarding the "...be focused on fuel..." That makes total sense and I figured I need to focus on that. With that being said, I've got some screenshots of one of my last games I saved to show you.
    The fuel cache I tried to capture as show with the red arrow pointing to it. I have that point captured as you can see. I'm blue btw. :wink:

But when I have a rear echelon troop try to build a fuel cache on top of it, I get the following response:

I know I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what it is.

I did purchase the "Master Collection" which does have the "Ardennes Assault" campaign. I started the "Soviet Campaign" and got about 1 hour or so into that one. I'll take your advice & start the other one to maybe learn some more of the game before I jump back into a skirmish.

Oh...1 last question. I understand some of the icons that appear above my troops. I can't figure out what the lightning bolt above them means. Can you offer some insight on that?

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted and when I feel more comfortable, I'll see about having someone jump in game with me to offer sage advice. Thanks for taking time to help me out. I very much appreciate it!

2 years ago
    Looks good in the image, whats going wrong is that you can only build caches on the points that are the circle shape and give both resources. The cache will increase the yield based on the cache you build. Dont go too crazy with them though as they impact your field presence.

The lightning bolt is a stun, you likley got hit with a stun grenade from the elite troops commander or a vetted sniper

The soviet campaign is pretty outdated but can be fun at times, the AA campaign is much better (tho still somewhat out of date) give em both a whirl if you are serious about getting into the game. Theres also in game tutorial videos if memory serves me that are pretty useful.

We're happy to help!
    2 years ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 1,092
    Also, remember that your riflemen has the advantage in a 1v1 engagement with just about any infantry the axis can field. Take advantage of that and push your early game with 3-4 rifle squads backed up by your mortar.(Or even two mortars!!)
    Secure map dominance with your initial squads as they can fan out a lot more than the axis given their greater strength, and then tech up the moment you have the fuel for it. This will help you get out those tanks before the axis has any real counterplay to it.

You should properly go for a Sherman first to punish the axis infantry even more, and apply more pressure on your opponent.
    Then get out a Jackson, so you can take on enemy armour.
    This is ofc not set in stone and can vary depending on the situation, but it's a nice and solid build-order that will fly in most situations. ;)
    2 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,824
    Whats the word? Any improvement?
    2 years ago
    CowskiCowski Posts: 4

Actually yes! I watched several videos and figured out what I was doing wrong.
    I was under the impression I had to capture all the points and everything else when I realized I really only needed to capture 2 of the 3 points (or all 3 if possible) and maybe 1 or 2 maybe 3 other flags for munitions and fuel. When I was trying to capture all of the points I was spreading my forces way too thin. I wasn't building enough and that was my problem.
    I also realized if I was capturing something, it may have already had munitions or fuel at that base hence why I couldn't put anything down. Once I realized that things got easier.
    Plus I was not moving my forces around enough. I started moving them around to keep the mortar guys off of them too.

Thanks for the help and guidance. The game is getting a little easier now. I've also started the campaign as you suggested. Doing okay on that.

Thanks for checking in on me. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

2 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,824
    Glad to hear! Enjoy the game buddy