Is the game more balanced now?

1 week ago
SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 377
edited January 11 in General Discussion

After the release of the December Balance Patch 2017, is the game in its current state 1.) More balanced than before? 2.) Less balanced than before? Or the 3.) Same level of balance, just different/new imbalances?

Help me decide through a scientific poll whether or not the game is worth getting back to at this time. You can give your reasons behind your vote, be it long or short. It'll just be interesting to gauge how the active community (who visit forums) see the latest 'build' of the game.

Is the game more balanced now? 44 votes

Yes, it's better.
45% 20 votes
No, it's worse.
31% 14 votes
It's the same, only now there are new issues.
22% 10 votes

Comments

1 week ago

Aqua said:
    Its definitely less cheesy at the very least

A politician's answer lol. But I get the sentiment.

1 week ago
    BaálthazorBaálthazor The shoreline by the river Styx.Posts: 1,069
    edited January 11
    Well, if that's the politicians answer, I guess Ill provide the soldiers answer...(Bear in mind, Ive not only been a soldier irl, but also had the great oppotunity to operate an mg62 in a combat environment) (The mg62 being an mg42, with some extremely slight improvements!)

But onwards with the matter at hands...

The game...

It's worse than just "a little worse!"
    It's borderline unplayable now!

Properly someone will think I'm exaggerating, others again will think I'm just a rabid fanboy, but imho, the cold hard facts are that the game has never been more lopsided than it is now.
    Minor things were fixed while major stuff were left untouched, but the real blunder is that some things which were terribly broken is now even more so.

By and large I think that such games are simply too complex to be truly balanced, ever. However, this is not the main factor that I judge this game, nay, ANY game on.
    What matters more to me than anything is whether or not I'm having fun and enjoying myself playing the game.
    You can play an unbalanced game and still enjoy yourself, though obviously not as much as could be the case if the game was balanced properly.

This game is just no longer fun to play.
    I don't mind fighting an uphill battle and I don't mind being the underdog from the get-go. Nor do I mind struggling more than my opponent since all that actually helps me get better, faster..!

What I DO mind, is being outclassed, outgunned, outmacroed and outdone not because of my own playstyle/tactics/strategies, but because every single tool at my disposal is either inadequate or downright useless...

I can give a nice example which was actually the turning point for me deciding to give this game a break for awhile(full kudos goes to @Rommel654 and @le12ro for not making me quit it all together permanently!!!);

Just two weeks ago or so, I met the same guy twice in two games, one right after the other. Then after a game vs a different player I got matched against him again.
    Thing is, I already played this guy in the past(maybe a month ago and before maybe two months ago) where I completely roflatomped him and I mean C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.L.Y!!!
    He was around rank 1500 or so, so no big surprise there and I really didn't pay it no nevermind.

Only this time, he absolutely decimated me!
    I mean, the guy was basically a push over dirty spammer relying on filthy Lend Lease spam or 4 RM/dual mortars, but after this latest patch....., IT WORKS..!! It actually fucking works!!!
    I knew what he was going for(guy had not changed one bit!) and I knew how to counter it...

Only thing is, I couldn't. Ptrs are absolute BEASTS right now, Sherman M4 being ties to tech don't mean squat when you can't maintain map control and the RM/mortar combo is as OP as ever... even more so now that the Jackson is no longer a dedicated TD, but a medium tank with a TD's AT-capabilities...

@SquishyMuffin
    Mate, we haven't had a lot of "personal" correspondence on this forum, but between you and I, I always respected your posts and your topics. I always thought they were well-put and in good manners.(Which is more than you can say for some of mine, so I guess you came out ahead on that account ;) )

But if you want my 2-cents;
    Not only is the game not worth playing right now.., it is also not FUN to play right now. At least not if you like an at least so-so balanced game.

Furthermore, if it had been Relic, (you know,the ACTUAL fucking developers of this game) mocking it up, I could at least have said; "Fuck it, its their game and their money, let them bask in their own stupidity..!"

But no. For lack of time, energy, resources, whatever, they turned the balancing of this once GREAT game, over to a bunch of circus monkeys who, despite their immense understanding and reading of the game,(at least it's FAR superior to mine!!) Insists on doing half-assed, poorly implemented, non-functional, biased changes... (Imho, and you can call me a fanboy, poorly skilled player whatever, at this point I really don't care overly much, but at this point, whoever doesn't have the goddamn whereabouts and balls to rectify the atrocity that is Ost tier 4, Grens, Volks, disparity between WFA and EFA, AND ON TOP OF THAT, seeks to gut the game by getting rid of basically ALL defining faction characteristics in favour of a less steep learning curve, is deserving of all the goddamn slight and spot that we an put on them...

@SquishyMuffin
    TL;DR:
    Don't reinstall just yet, cause at this point the game WILL let you down.
    Keep lurking the forum as I do, let the rage posts fly and only comment on what is worth it(like this here thread) and just bite your time.
    We can only pray that Relic comes to their fucking senses, and realises that leaving not one, but TWO CoH games a bloody mess, might, MIGHT be a bad call for the future of a franchise which has, quite literally, defined and reinvented the otherwise dying genre which was/is RTS...

Sincerely yours;
    Baalthazor
    1 week ago
    ReichsgardeReichsgar… Bad Tolz, Bayern, GermanyPosts: 96

To all who think the current game is balanced, please consider Soviet snipers and their IL-2 Strafing runs.

1 week ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 6,273

@Reichsgarde said:
    To all who think the current game is balanced, please consider Soviet snipers and their IL-2 Strafing runs.

What about sov sniper?
    Its unchanged for months, absolutely nothing was touched with him and he got lowest shooting rate out of all snipers.

And what about IL-2?
    Axis planes are like that for more then a year, one permanently pinning infantry while dealing heavy damage, other wiping all armor in the area, anti air armor included and I haven't seen you complain on that.

1 week ago
    mrgame2mrgame2 Posts: 248

If the DBP was supposed to balance Axis OP in 4v4, then it failed horribly!

In lobby its 60%-40% Allies search.

So nerfed to Axis heavy tanks but Allies infantry spam still OP. Fuck you Mr smith relic

1 week ago

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?
    Its unchanged for months, absolutely nothing was touched with him and he got lowest shooting rate out of all snipers.

And what about IL-2?
    Axis planes are like that for more then a year, one permanently pinning infantry while dealing heavy damage, other wiping all armor in the area, anti air armor included and I haven't seen you complain on that.

Why does IL2 able to pin in base?
    Why does Allies arty can hit base? lame af balance

1 week ago

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.
    Not a single off map can target base sector for a long time now.

1 week ago

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

I just got arty and IL2 in base in Steppes. You are wrong. Broken af.

1 week ago
    1ncendiary_Rounds1ncendiar… Posts: 723
    edited January 12

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

The fact that SU snipers are next to unkillable due to it having the best supporting units makes them the best sniper in the game. Ptrs squads are extremely accessible and ptrs buffs to fend off light vehicles which the 222's autocannon is a complete dud vs infantry and relies more on the mediocre mg to do damage. Ptrs penals now have reliable snare, tank hunter buffs, guard buffs all make it so much easier to protect snipers. And SU has 2man squad which fires at mainly 4man squads which more than makes up for lower RoF. And after the camo nerf to all snipers, the SU sniper receives the smallest nerf since it had the worst camo in the beginning anyways. Double sniper + guard/tank hunter is becoming a new cheese meta for SU. And even the Ost sniper stun round had its load time nerfed just so u can't use it to countersnipe SU sniper while SU sniper easily countersnipes Ost sniper. Whoever decided to nerf that has allied bias oozing out of their ears.

As usual, you pick on ONE weakness of a unit when the other aspects of the unit are all strengths and then claim the unit to be underpowered. Open your eyes Katitof.

1 week ago

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

I just got arty and IL2 in base in Steppes. You are wrong. Broken af.

So you can upload a replay where you drop flares on base sector then, right?
    Everything you can do with allied off maps, you can do exact same with with axis offmaps.

1 week ago

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

Yes it's true no off maps can be called into the base but strafes can be called on the edge of the base and due to the large radius of the strafe, base units can easily be killed.

1 week ago

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

Yes it's true no off maps can be called into the base but strafes can be called on the edge of the base and due to the large radius of the strafe, base units can easily be killed.

And axis strafes can do exactly the very same thing.
    Please explain it to your fellow axis only player.

1 week ago

@Katitof said:

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

I just did. It's his responsibility to read it.

1 week ago

Let us also not forget just how OP PTRS-equipped Penal Battalions are as these supposed-AT rifles snipe infantry models. Same can be said for Tommies AT rifles as well. In comparison, I have not seen a single Panzerschreck rocket damage an infantry squad significantly enough, let alone kill a model.

1 week ago

@Katitof said:

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

Is there anything like IL2 for axis? Something as lethal should not wipe retreating squad at base, unless Relic allows back base arty like Coh1.

It is just to highlight all the talk about balance, yet so many allies cheez is being ignored.

1 week ago
    edited January 13

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:

As usual, you pick on ONE weakness of a unit when the other aspects of the unit are all strengths and then claim the unit to be underpowered. Open your eyes Katitof.

(removed)

Something something panther spam, bam! nerfed!

Something something allies TD underperforming, bam! puff!

Something something conscript weak, bam! another hardy 6 man units!

Why is the point of looking into a specific unit with every 'balance' patch? You cant buff conscript and ignore other units it supports.

I never get their off -limit units rule.

1 week ago

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:

@Katitof said:

@mrgame2 said:

@Katitof said:

@Reichsgarde said:

What about sov sniper?

And what about IL-2?

Wrong and wrong.

Is there anything like IL2 for axis? Something as lethal should not wipe retreating squad at base, unless Relic allows back base arty like Coh1.

Yes, its called Stuka loiter.
    It'll wipe tanks, which all are considerably more expensive then any infantry squad in game.

It is just to highlight all the talk about balance, yet so many allies cheez is being ignored.

You have plenty of cheeze on axis side as well, you're just conveniently ignoring it to make your argument look better.

1 week ago

@Reichsgarde said:
    Let us also not forget just how OP PTRS-equipped Penal Battalions are as these supposed-AT rifles snipe infantry models. Same can be said for Tommies AT rifles as well. In comparison, I have not seen a single Panzerschreck rocket damage an infantry squad significantly enough, let alone kill a model.

If by "sniping" you mean receiving a 14.5mm bullet to a face and not loose a single HP, then yes. But the only squad that has a bit of effectiveness with PTRS against infantry are Guards. AT-wise penals do some damage, Guards a bit more and the best are cons with doctrinal(!) upgrade. But may I ask you how much damage Schreck does? How much penetration it has? Yes, it does not do damage against infatnry but it does a great job aginst intended targets. And btw penals don't have a nade that delivers a small nuke under your squad with a 1s delay.

1 week ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 377
    edited January 13

@"Aqua " @Baálthazor Thanks for your long posts (I didn't want you to think I haven't read them!). The votes are coming in, yippie. Looks divided down the middle, basically just like it was before the patch hit right? I watch the streams to get some insight without committing personally (super lazy and armchair general style) but all I see and hear is negativity on it. There are some changes I just really don't like.

1 week ago

First of all, PTRS rarely misses its intended target whereas the Panzerschreck can miss pathetically. This calls for an accuracy boost to the Panzerschreck. Moreover, @Tezozomoctzin I have no idea what you mean by this "small nuke". Axis forces have no small nukes. Bundled Grenades? Oh please, the Gammon Bomb is the nuke with a 1s delay.

When an infantry unit invests in AT weapons, it should sacrifice its Anti-Infantry capabilities. However, for PTRS and Tommies AT rifles, that doesn't seem to be the case.

@Katitof What makes you think the Stuka Strafing Run is as effective as that of the IL-2? The Stuka version simply pins down infantry units but I have rarely seen it actually wipe out squads. In contrast, IL-2 outright wipes retreating and non-retreating squads.

Overall, there are so many problems with this patch. Just look at how difficult it is to find an opponent as the Allies/Soviets now as people begin to realize just how ridiculously difficult it is to play as WM/OKW. I have warned about this eventuality on numerous occasions. I can see clearly now that the community is becoming lop-sided.

1 week ago

Also, to add one more thing, yes, it is still possible to win as Axis. However, it takes FAR MORE effort to squeeze out a victory. For those who keep saying that the game is balanced, try playing as the Axis. Of course, when your USF or UKF or SU is pawning Axis left, right, and center, sure the game looks balanced. Try to think in other people's shoes for a change.

1 week ago
    edited January 13
    @SquishyMuffin

Ofc there will always be for and against voters, pros and cons, good and bad...

The main reason why I think so badly of this here particular patch, is that not only was it one-sided,(plenty of patches has been that since the game came out on BOTH sides..! (Remember the "Lets buff the mg42, pgrens AND sniper about 3 years ago?!) it was hilariously one-sided and extremely biased, because..., fuck it I guess?? :|

Some patches will go mainly one way, another the other way, but speaking from someone who's been here since the game came out, I've never, EVER seen such a biased bunch of bullshit!!!

Seriously, what was the general consensus across the board, concerning major issues before the patch?

Grens/con's needed buffs.
    Ost tier 4 needed a total revamp.
    WFA forces needed to be toned back.
    Combat Engies needs to be more of a fighting/utility force rather than a useless drain on the Soviet players resources.
    USF needs to be toned back IMMENSELY as they were overperforming seriously compared to all other factions.

These are the cold hard facts. Nearly everyone agreed upon this and nearly everyone was in favour of rectifying these issues.

After the patch went live and the actual changes were made..;

Axis players;
    "DAFUQ IS THIS SHIT!! We got nothing worthwhile..! We even got some serious nerfs!! We feel completely railroaded..!!!"

Allied players;
    "Well... sure the grens, panther and Ost tier 4 needed some buffs before the patch, but now that it has hit....., I don't know..!!
    Maybe it's better that this patch just stays as it is. We get everything and they get not only nothing, but LESS than nothing since were actually going to be nerfing them, thusly taking stuff away from them...

Before the patch, EVERYBODY and their brother agreed that BOTH grens and cons needed buffs...
    After the patch, all of the sudden grens are fine now that con's got buffed...

Before the patch, EVERYBODY and their mother knew that Ost tier 4 was absolutely garbage.
    After the patch;
    "Well, Ost players are spoiled anyways, no need to buff that since our Jackson got turned into a fucking Abrams Tank..!

Before the patch, EVERYBODY and their dog KNEW that RM was overperforming for their cost and timing...
    After the patch;
    "Well, you got some obscure, non-valid, extremely convoluted buffs to an ability nobody ever used and ever will, so all good now... :o :o :o

Now don't get me wrong...
    As I wrote earlier, there has been plenty of lobsided patches for this game in the past, on BOTH sides, so In that retrospect this patch is nothing new OR special...

Why I hate this patch so much, is twofold...

1st)
    Even a blind man on crack can see that there is like 4 relevant buffs for axis in this patch, while there is like 21 for allies...
    Consider this in conjunction with the fact that most people agreed that axis was already in poor state, and you have me baffled...

2nd)
    Not only did the balance NOT buff the needed axis areas, they ACTUALLY nerfed them..!!!!!!!!!
    How so many people can sit back and be okay with nerfing the panther(a lacklustre vehicle as it was), the pgrens(an underperforming unit before the patch) and sniper(the hell was ever wrong with this unit??!!) Is waaaaaay beyond me...

Add to that the fact that not only did they not fix Ost tier 4, they reshuffled it's tech costs and disguised as a "fix", and you got a situation where you are testing my patience to the limit of what @le12ro and @Rommel654 VERY strongly told me NOT to get too involved in, due to my...hm...frank way of speaking...

So considering that I think only, ONLY the BEST THOUGHTS of those two mods, I will end this this rant by saying this...;

This patch is nothing short of a travesty...
    It's as hilarious as it is tragic.
    Not only did it change NOTHING, it reinforced the very things that they set out to get rid off...
    It did not fix balance, it screwed it even more...

And the most infuriating thing..;
    It was almost ALL done, not by Relic so that we could yell at them... No, they took advantage of the dedicated community of this game and threw some EXTREMELY dedicated members of this community under the bus...
    And even so, they covered their dirty tracks by making sure that these people were so heavily involved in this patching process, that there really is no way for us NOT to blame them, thusly taking A LOT of the blame off of themselves...

That's not only EXTREMELY cynical, but also coldhearted and heartless..!!

Shame on you Relic, for resorting to this and may you not only get droopy dicks, but also have BOTH your CoH AND DoW licences revoked..!!!

For shame... for goddamn shame..!!!
    1 week ago

@Baálthazor said:

"Well, you got some obscure, non-valid, extremely convoluted buffs to an ability nobody ever used and ever will, so all good now... :o :o :o

Add to that the fact that not only did they not fix Ost tier 4, they reshuffled it's tech costs and disguised as a "fix", and you got a situation where you are testing my patience to the limit of what @le12ro and @Rommel654 VERY strongly told me NOT to get too involved in, due to my...hm...frank way of speaking...

I've been saying for years that many "buffs" that Ost gets are either fake buffs or bugfixes:

• Pios getting sandbags. Thats a buff? Relic calls it the most defensive faction in the game yet it was the only one without any access to sandbags?!!!! About fucking time, don't ya think?
    • Pgrens have RA bonuses shifted to vet 1. Overall, the unit didn't get much of an improvement since it only does better when they aren't vet 3.
    • Bundle grenade fix to match lethality of OKW bundle nades. That is a bug fix.
    • Ostwind this patch is actually a fake buff. Before the patch, it would likely collide with terrain when shooting at max range, but it would be very accurate if it didn't hit terrain. Now the ostwind is still just as unreliable as the ostwind will no longer collide with terrain but outright miss the target at max range due to the balance team nerfing its accuracy at long range to nearly a non-existent level. It's a hair better at medium range but Ost players aren't interested in medium and short range as much as you don't want to get close to enemy troops with an ostwind for obvious reasons.
    1 week ago
    1ncendiary_Rounds1ncendiar… Posts: 723
    edited January 13

@Baálthazor said:
    No, they took advantage of the dedicated community of this game and threw some EXTREMELY dedicated members of this community under the bus...

+100000000000 I think we all know who he's referring to.

1 week ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,835
    edited January 13
    > @Reichsgarde said:
    > Also, to add one more thing, yes, it is still possible to win as Axis. However, it takes FAR MORE effort to squeeze out a victory. For those who keep saying that the game is balanced, try playing as the Axis.

The irony in this statement is incredible. "The side I prefer is more difficult, anyone who disagrees should try playing them". The fact that you are still drawing lines at an Axis v. Allies level, but are then suggesting everyone else are the ones who are biased is just astounding.

1v1 Ost is the only place I see weakness. This notion that it is insanely more difficult however is a massive exaggeration, and they are perfectly viable in 2v2s and have been for a very long time. But man do I get tired of these statements. They are 1000% useless for balance discussion, and come across as nothing but whiny about ones favorite faction.

And I will never understand how OKW keeps getting grouped in the pity party for Ost. OKW has been excessively dominant for most of its existence as a faction, and if anything it is far more to blame for Osts quality than these "allied players who have ruined the game for us all" allegedly.
    1 week ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… At TenagraPosts: 1,835
    Man I love how less than 10 minutes after I make an non-sided statement I have 3 dislikes immediately. How religiously obsessed with the ascension of axis is this forum culture gonna get? I play both sides, prefer neither (because I prefer individual factions instead of entire sides, alien concept I know...) and am trying to stop this vague useless criticism of the state of the game, and that pisses you guys off?

Cmon now, take a effing chill pill. If its so damn unfair make threads about the units and let's discuss them. Stop with the "it's categorically harder to play the side that I do". Someone please explain what you hope you accomplish with that. I would love to know.
    1 week ago
    @SkysTheLimit

Maybe that's because one side IS harder to play than another..?!

Maybe it's because axis(not just Ost) was nerfed into the ground, so what do you expect?!

Is everything sucky sucky on the axis side..?! Ofc not! Can you still win as axis?! Ofc you can..!

Is Helping Hans quiting(for two whole days..!!) enough for the whole community to go awol..!

No.., ofc not!

But does that give an even slight indication as to the balance of the game at hand..!?

Why yes... yes, it does...

My old sergeant always used to tell me, "If I give an order and everybody and their brother is protesting, maybe it's time to revisit that order.."

Someone might be given off vibrations that may be more pro-axis than allies on this board,(myself included) but if that rubs you the wrong way more than the fact that axis got shafted COMPLETELY, then I guess we've asked for everything were headed for....

You're a good guy, you know your stuff and you know your plays...

You and I can argue from now on till the end of the earth, but are you seriously going to contend with me on the fact that Ost got shafted and OKW not far behind it...?!

I dont mind you being more allied favour than axis(Lord knows I'm more axis than allies!!), but despite you playing both sides, it's clear to all that you are "severely" allied favoured..!!

Even so, you are both intelligent and experienced...

Can you honestly tell me while keeping a straight face, that axis(especially Ost!!) are on the same level as allies atm...!!?!?!?
    1 week ago
    edited January 13

Ostwind got semi-buff, but honestly all Ost players rather wait for P4. Can the Ostwind deal with T70, Sherman, Cromwell, AEC, SU76, T34?

And thats the problem with Relic balance! You can match unit to unit but the timings are all off with Ost. By the time something comes out for Ost, Allies have all the units to passively counter it! While Allies have shock units that Ost cant counter without intense micro and luck!

Why was the heavy tanks nerfed? Why was Panther nerf? The reason because some dwebs complain about 4v4?

Then how about Axis 1v1, 2v2 trouble dealing with infantry and Allies front line, 6 man squad, forward base, 120mm mortar, ukf emplacements, sniping TD?

(removed) reduce grens costs, but the problem is grens will need to retreat when they are down to 2 men, if not they get snipe wipe on retreat, and thus conceding field resources to allies!