DoW3 flop, Relic moving on....

1 week ago

https://www.pcgamer.com/relic-steps-away-from-dawn-of-war-3-when-a-game-underperforms-plans-need-to-change/

So any chance CoH2 might get some focus again, considering how much more of a success it is in comparison? (24 hour peak player has CoH2 having almost 12 times the number of players as DoW3)

Comments

1 week ago
    Rommel654Rommel654 Fort Eustis, VAPosts: 869 mod

That would be nice...

1 week ago
    VegnaVegna Posts: 890

@Rommel654 said:
    That would be nice...

Looking at the stats here:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/231430
    Peak players are about the same as after the release spike but the average player count's gone up, so seems a much better choice than to have to lay off lots of people...

1 week ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 388
    edited February 9

@Vegna said:

@Rommel654 said:
    That would be nice...

Looking at the stats here:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/231430
    Peak players are about the same as after the release spike but the average player count's gone up, so seems a much better choice than to have to lay off lots of people...

Yeah! I'm sure most people would agree in regards to getting new content and not laying off staff. COH2 has kept a respectable playerbase almost 5 years after release.

If you check the Steam stats page the peak player count matches/beats a fair few prevelant, free to play, newer or well received multiplayer and single player games; XCOM2, AC:Origins, EVE:Online, TC:Wildlands, WoWarships, TotalWarRome2, Borderlands2, TC:TheDivision, TitanFall2(ORIGIN), DRAGON BALL FighterZ etc.

And Of course looking at current players, depending on the time of day, can beat out the likes of CODW2 and others. Which brings a tear to my eye.

Edit: On DoW3 forums the dev on there said it takes around 6 months to add a new faction. So it's doable for COH2 lol.

1 week ago
    Rommel654Rommel654 Fort Eustis, VAPosts: 869 mod

I agree and bringing in new content would increase revenue and the player base. But I think there needs to be a tweak or two to fully capitalize on the investment.

That is with the new players. So many have run into monster teams and trolls and smurfs that trash them verbally. I understand the matchmaking mechanics, but with more players hopefully their elo can be more consistently matched.

New content as well as a couple of tweaks to game mechanics (joining dropped games, etc) this game will not only survive but it's best days may be ahead. Just some thoughts.

1 week ago

If anything in terms of new content the axis need a third new faction. An eastern coalition force of the Axis allies and Italian influence. Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian all these nations and their respective equipment with maybe a piece of german/Czech equipment here and there. Overall this culmination of groups can formulate a pretty unique faction and finally break the monotony/monopoly of german faction 2.0 for the franchise.

1 week ago
    DraconixDraconix Posts: 4
    edited February 11

Hello, big fan of DoW, but also I own Coh2. :smile:

To be honest, while I understand that Dow3 was a flop, it was a sad news for me, cause I wanted at least a new race. I played Dow1 with expansions for a long time when I was teenage and later played Dow2 as well. Dow3 wasn't as much excellent as previous two, but I eventually got used to liking it, I had currently over 200 hours in it. So dropping support to it was a very sad news, but I understand if it wasn't paying off.

So right now, I will probably wait for Coh3 while hoping for a new DoW in future, AoE isn't my favored franchise so I skip AoE4. But Relic will have really try to satisfy me by releasing a expansion for Coh3. In the meanwhile, I might play Dow3 slighty more but I might also return to Coh2 and playing other games as well.

Who knows what will be next after Relic's new projects if Relic would be still there? Only time will tell. :smile:

1 week ago
    Mr_RuinMr_Ruin Posts: 76

I started playing Relic's games with DoW1 and played everything they made up till now. And in my honest opinion DoW3 is an abomination. Only thing I do not understand is why they made it the way they did. Who looked at that ill conceived ''game'' and said yeah, this is a good third instalment of DoW? I just hope they learned their lesson.

1 week ago
    DraconixDraconix Posts: 4
    edited February 11

@Mr_Ruin said:
    I started playing Relic's games with DoW1 and played everything they made up till now. And in my honest opinion DoW3 is an abomination. Only thing I do not understand is why they made it the way they did. Who looked at that ill conceived ''game'' and said yeah, this is a good third instalment of DoW? I just hope they learned their lesson.

Fact, the RTS/MOBA hybrid aproach wasn't a very good idea, even if I don't bash entire MOBA genre as much. But yeah, if Dow3 was a proper RTS, then maybe it could sell better.

On my positive note at least, the races here (in Dow3) were IMO well made thanks to Elites, Faction Mechanics, and Doctrines (to a lesser extend of course :wink: ). If ever would be a Dow4, maybe better as a proper RTS, I would like to have races with the same or even better quality as in Dow3, alongside large scale battles, base building and with Annihilation mode, cause its the things that I really liked in Dow3. :smile:

1 week ago

@Mr_Ruin said:

Yeah, I got in to the CoH series because of DoW1. I loved the DoW series and was planning to pre-order DoW3 just for the campaign but when I heard what they'd done to the gameplay... can't even get it on sale for the story due to the bad campaign design.

5 days ago
    fralex_REfralex_RE Posts: 68 admin

Hi guys,

Appreciate the interest and speculation - but it's too early for us to comment on anything just yet :) That being said, as I am talking to you now, we are certainly not planning to move away from COH as a franchise. Also, don't forget that a good portion of the studio is also already hard at work on AOE IV!

4 days ago

@fralex_RE said:
    Hi guys,

Appreciate the interest and speculation - but it's too early for us to comment on anything just yet :) That being said, as I am talking to you now, we are certainly not planning to move away from COH as a franchise. Also, don't forget that a good portion of the studio is also already hard at work on AOE IV!

Yeah, windows store only for a long time...I wouldn't put all your eggs in to AoEIV. Especially when we have AoE II HD on Steam getting improvements still.

3 days ago
    SoESturmpantherSoESturmp… Posts: 40
    edited February 15

@fralex_RE schrieb:
    Hi guys,

I hope for AoE4 getting good. But some bad stuff:

A) Windows 10 only

B ) Windows store only and not steam.

I think this both points could be a mistake sadly :(

3 days ago
    fralex_REfralex_RE Posts: 68 admin

@SoESturmpanther : I don't believe Microsoft (it remains their call, in the end) has announced yet how AOEIV would be distributed. They have only talked about AOEI: DE so far.

3 days ago

If it were the case, windows store games have moved to Steam.

2 days ago

I doubt they would risk distributing it exclusively through the Windows store after the Quantum Break fiasco.

2 days ago
    WiderstreitWiderstre… Posts: 877
    edited February 17
    They only have to buy EA, make all games for the windows-store available and crossplay-able. So there will be automatically better support, better store and an chance to mess with steam.

Next step is, to sync game-key between the game-librarys. So it doesn't depend much which system, platform is used.

Edit: Steam needed years to become usfull and userfriendly. Now we know how it should be, so it can die now. I don't need steam, hate this platform like origin and the rest.