Are Wehrmacht Mortars OP at the moment?

1 year ago

For the past few games, I've been having a really tough time fighting Wehrmacht players who make heavy use of their mortars. I mean, mortars in combination with MG42s are powerful enough, but it's beginning to feel like every time a unit gets spotted and I leave it in cover even for a moment it'll be half-strength after a single shot.

They seem extremely accurate, and their damage is devastating against Allied infantry.

Am I wrong?

Comments

1 year ago

No, they are not.
    First of all, MG-42 is good as HMG, of course, but starting HMGs of all factions still be weak, only 50.cal and DSHK are powerful at the current moment.
    All factions with starting HMGs except wehrmacht will benefit more from core infantry spam than from using their suppressive platforms.
    Wehr is designed as faction what cannot simply spam one/two unit types to win in any stage of the game, and this is why ost mortar and ost sniper are that good: u must have something to kill allied infantry if they are "catched" with MG-42 to stay in building/green cover quickly and leave it in "half-strength" for grenadiers.
    If u have problem with wehrmortar u need to change ur unit build, that all u require to win.

1 year ago
    XlossXloss Posts: 235

Nah. If you will look for OP mortar its in soviet, the 120mm Mortar call in, it can wipe a whole squad in a single shell.

1 year ago

@Xloss said:
    Nah. If you will look for OP mortar its in soviet, the 120mm Mortar call in, it can wipe a whole squad in a single shell.

Sov 120mm mortar has way slower ROF and aim is terrible. It lost it's precise shot ability.
    Wehr mortar results in superior damage, and it's range and rof increases with vet. Plus is cheap and non-doc.
    American and SOV mortars were always inferior.

1 year ago
    XlossXloss Posts: 235

@Felinewolfie said:

@Xloss said:

Sov 120mm mortar has way slower ROF and aim is terrible. It lost it's precise shot ability.
    Wehr mortar results in superior damage, and it's range and rof increases with vet. Plus is cheap and non-doc.
    American and SOV mortars were always inferior.

Axis don't wipe squad using mortars. 120mm can coz of wide area damage. Also if im not mistaken all mortars do the same damage 80.

Axis mortars only advantage is rate of fire (barrage).
    USF mortar advantage is T0, accuracy, fast pack and set up and rate of fire. short range
    Soviet is survivability, decent rate of fire.
    while stock mortars do fine and dandy they don't wipe full HP squads.

120mm do. RNG is much stronger in 120mm mortar coz of wide area damage.
    Slow reload time is considered coz is uses a huge ammunition.

1 year ago

Exactly.

Horrible RNG and ROF is the trademark of the 120mm. So bllblblblbl ;)
    - However, I am willing to concede one tiny thing. What the meep is it with the 120mm surviving
    even with only one surviving crew member? That thing's the weight of a PAK gun for @#@#( sake.
    How can he run back home with it??

1 year ago

@Felinewolfie
    cause it's got wheels :wink:
    but yeah that really annoys me when he just GTFO after I hunted his ass down from across the map, and if you let the 120 wipe squads apart from RNGesus smiting you it's probably performing its intended role against MG's, especially static MG bunkers.

1 year ago

@Hankmeupinside said:
    @Felinewolfie
    cause it's got wheels :wink:
    but yeah that really annoys me when he just GTFO after I hunted his ass down from across the map, and if you let the 120 wipe squads apart from RNGesus smiting you it's probably performing its intended role against MG's, especially static MG bunkers.

But I'm very much into soviethood (the faction) and even I think it not dying on last man is stupid.
    Feels wrong when it doesn't die on last man, yknow?

2 months ago

This comment may seem irrelevant after how long it was written since but all of that has change now ever since the Spring Update. Every mortar has same reload speed. 120mm Mortar is now better than before since it is no longer slower than any other mortar. Every mortar has a 6 second reload according to the patch. Accuracy on the other hand different but 120mm has that devastating power that no other mortar has.

2 months ago

Yeah dude and they have 5 man squad + can retreat with 1 man and have better range then the support gun poor

1 month ago

All I know is that as a UKF main who isn't privy to see their mortar stats (sad!) when I steal a grw, I oftentimes will just plop it a little bit behind my bofors, and it will end the game with 334% efficiency without any micro whatsoever.

I'd say it's definitely overly accurate.

1 month ago
    38Lightning38Lightni… Posts: 123
    Personally I think all mortars should be able to survive with 1 squad or none of them should. Just keep them the same. I know it is different across factions. As usf my mortars die with 1 remaining and I've seen axis run away. It is indeed an inconsistency. As far as 120mm Soviet haveing any advantages idk what they are but it is locked behinde CP so it should be some improvment over the others.