since hearing from Relics' next CoH² update and their plans about updating some commanders, I am really excited and can't await winter! So I made some thoughts about it and would like to show you them. In my opinion, Ostheer is in a really good spot right now and has many good commanders. That's the reason why I am focusing on OKW. Ostheer can Imperial Dane or Helping Hans do ^^ I try to be as short as possible. I am looking forward to you opinions!
Commanders that should be revamped:
Elite Armor Doctrine
Elite Armor Doctrine:
- Signal Relay: "Boosting signal range briefly reveals enemy vehicles on the mini map." => Should reveal ALL units on minimap, same as interrogation training, and should temporarily boost vehicles' sight range, e.g. by 5 or 10.; This would give this doctrine some kind of reconnaissance which is really needed by OKW. Maybe increase cost from 50 to 60 ammo.
- Emergency Repairs: "Vehicle crews gain the ability to repair critical damage on their vehicles. The crew is very vulnerable during this repair procedure." => It's very expensive, takes long and doesn't help much but removing a crit damage. Just make it the same as USF "Critical Repair" or Sowjet "Self Repair", just to bring this ability in line.
- High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) Shells: "Tanks are now issued HEAT ammunition for increased penetration." => This ability is the heart of this doctrine. And I don't want to change it a lot, just 2 things: Match this ability with sherman's HE rounds vs. infantry and increase accuracy vs. vehicles. First, because of greater AOE this ability would give this doctrine the opporunity to deal with blobs and heavy infantry gameplay. In the current state this commander is AT only (except the big fat motherf**cker we all know ). This would increase its usefulness. Second, this ability only lasts for a few seconds. And according to reload time your tanks can make only ~3 shots. For 45 ammo and only short duration I would highly recommend those ~3 shots to hit their target^^
- Panzer Commander: "The Panzer IV, Panther & King Tiger can be upgraded with a Panzer Commander that can survey the battlefield and call in coordinated artillery strikes." => First, bring it in line with british tank commander (+10% accuracy, +10% sight) and on top of that, because it's called "Elite Armor", the tank commander should also boost +10% veterancy gained. And for his ability to call in light howitzers, just change it to Ostheers' light artillery barrage and adjust its activation range accoring to tank's sight range. In return, increase cost from 35 to 50 ammo, same as MG42.
- Sturmtiger: "Badass Bastard" => Just send him on a diet
In conclusion: There shouldn't be changed a lot. I have liked this commander since release, but some abilities cost too much compared to their value. Updated HEAT Shells would also increase this commander's capabilities. And I think those adjustements won't overbuff this commander, will they?
- Goliath: "Boom." => Cool gadget, works well sometimes. Maybe decrease its cost to 80 or 75 ammo.
- Forward Receivers: "Reveals enemy units passively in the fog of war." => This ability is redundant with "Early Warning", has very short detection range and brings your trucks at high risk without much benefits. Remove this ability completely. My suggestion for this instead: Give this commander an ability to upgrade forward trucks to gain extra ressources (same bonus and costs as chaches; same ability UKF Trucks had in CoH1 [who remembers? ]). Because of having only 3 trucks and not beeing able to put more on the same territory at the same time, this would be balanced by itself without any costs.
- Early Warning: "Points that are under your control are equipped with flares. The flares will trigger when an enemy unit captures your territory." => Just leave it as it is. It's the core of this doctrine and has great impact, especially in 1vs1.
- For the Fatherland: "Infantry in friendly territory will receive a defensive buff and movement speed increase for the duration of the ability. Lasts 30 Seconds." => Just remove its restriction "friendly territory". This would give this commander a chance to attack and play a bit more offensiveley.
- Sector Airstrike: "Stuka close air support will recon and attack the target area. 1 plane will strafe with machine guns, while another will bomb the area." => Great ability, great randomness^^ The bomber is a kind of lottery and its AOE is such huge that it sometimes hits your own units. On your side of the map. Not good. The bomber also gets shot very easily so your 250 ammo is wasted in seconds. I would suggest to make the bomber a single strafing run, same as british Air Supermacy: Samller area, less randomness and no friendly fire behind your own lines.
In conclusion: This commander would still be overwatching the game with its early warning flares, but with its ability to gather more ressources it would get some strength in late game. In combination with improved Airstrike and For the Fatherland this could be a great symbiosis, but it is also heavy ammuniton dependent, so it shouldn't be OP. And with trucks securing ressource points you bring them at high risk and 250mp for ressource upgrade would prevent this commander from spamming too much Volks.
Maybe you have recognized, I don't like to play around with costs. I think many abilities limit themselves and would therefore be balanced without much channging needed.
So, what do you think?