Soviet Commander Revamp Discussion

124»

Comments

4 months ago

Alot of things that I see and that we all agree upon is that most commanders have things that they need and some that they don't, and it would be best if they organize to merge some of the best qualities of all of the commanders. In this way we won't pick a commander for just one ability but all 5 of them.

4 months ago

I'll be the devil's advocate and say that that Advanced Warfare Tactics commander doesn't need a change of abilities. It indeed provided more unique strategies back when the T-34/85s were a call-in (though I really don't miss the call-in meta), but it still has a balanced mix of abilities - Radio Intercept for intelligence, Conscripts' PPSh for infantry, T-34/85 and Conscripts' Repair for armor support and IL-2 Attack for air-support and munition sink. Thematically it really fits the "advanced warfare", as all branches of land forces are used in unison. It has balanced focus of weapon upgrades, additional units and off-map strikes, so it doesn't drain only one type of resource either.

The only real problem I see is the IL-2 Strafe. It's a really lackluster for what it costs and while I'd love to see it swapped for IL-2 Loiter, there is no other commander that uses IL-2 Strafe while there's a ton with loiter. It'd be a waste to completely remove an unique ability instead of tweaking into something more viable. For example, if it were to stay as it is, slighlty lowering its price and cooldown would make it more flexible tool in player's arsenal. Fits the theme too, I think.

4 months ago
    C3ToothC3Tooth Posts: 131
    edited September 2018

Does anyone talk about Commissar in NKVD tactic? I just feel the Commis-squad is really weak compared to SturmOffizier in ability.
    20 ammo to buff a single squad with 30sec cool down vs buff all squads nearby even team mate squads all the time.
    I lost a 3v3 game where 2 Axis team surround the Sturm-offizier and pass my 3 50.cal MG like nothing happen.
    NKVD propaganda barrage was perfect to counter the blob, at least not let them Break through 1/3 map with the blob.

4 months ago

Here are my thoughts on the new Urban Defense Tactics.

Shock Troops are Shock Troops - good addition.

The new Booby Traps are lovely. While they pack much less of a punch, they spread the damage more equally and you can place twice as many of them for the same price.

I'm a bit on the fence about the Field Base. It has very similar cost and role to M3 Halftrack. Unlike halftrack, it also provides healing but is immobile. You can't retreat to it either. All in all, I think it's a nice addition. At least it makes the commander ability useful on maps without many buildings.

The 45mm AT Gun got some buffs, but it's still not very effective anti-tank platform. Medium armor is too though (roughly two-thirds of hits won't penetrate) and light vehicles quickly leave its firing arc. I understand that best course of action against light vehicles is snare, but even then you ask yourself "why didn't I spend 120 mp more on ZiS-3?"

Also, preview notes read: "Now has Ambush Camouflage ability by default; first-strike bonus of +20% accuracy, +20% reload and -25% reload" What's up with those reload numbers?

Maybe instead of making 45mm AT Gun just worse but cheaper version of ZiS-3, it could be changed into supporting AT platform? The vet1 ability of keeping hit vehicles visible for a few seconds somewhat points towards that already. How about adding some other utility abilities?

4 months ago

@Olekman said:
    Here are my thoughts on the new Urban Defense Tactics.

Shock Troops are Shock Troops - good addition.

The new Booby Traps are lovely. While they pack much less of a punch, they spread the damage more equally and you can place twice as many of them for the same price.

I'm a bit on the fence about the Field Base. It has very similar cost and role to M3 Halftrack. Unlike halftrack, it also provides healing but is immobile. You can't retreat to it either. All in all, I think it's a nice addition. At least it makes the commander ability useful on maps without many buildings.

The 45mm AT Gun got some buffs, but it's still not very effective anti-tank platform. Medium armor is too though (roughly two-thirds of hits won't penetrate) and light vehicles quickly leave its firing arc. I understand that best course of action against light vehicles is snare, but even then you ask yourself "why didn't I spend 120 mp more on ZiS-3?"

Also, preview notes read: "Now has Ambush Camouflage ability by default; first-strike bonus of +20% accuracy, +20% reload and -25% reload" What's up with those reload numbers?

Maybe instead of making 45mm AT Gun just worse but cheaper version of ZiS-3, it could be changed into supporting AT platform? The vet1 ability of keeping hit vehicles visible for a few seconds somewhat points towards that already. How about adding some other utility abilities?

I agree at 100% on everything you said my dude. Maybe a free(=no ammo cost nor manpower and obviously no fuel) barrage of explosive shells like T-70 is able to shoot would be great ? and it needs more fire rate. It absolutely does. As @PanzerFutz stated ; there's 6 crewmembers while the T-70 have two and it still reloads faster...
    And it should have camoflage ability like raketen do, since (as PanzerFutz stated, him again ;) ) it's a bit too wide for a door ; so to be garrisonable.

And I don't know about the reloading number...

4 months ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 433
    edited September 2018

Wrong thread.

4 months ago

@ЯedTurian said:
    And it should have camoflage ability like raketen do, since (as PanzerFutz stated, him again ;) ) it's a bit too wide for a door ; so to be garrisonable.

It does have that camouflage ability in the preview patch, so there's that at least.

By the way, I created a small mod where the M-42 gets a "Quickfire" ability, which for 30 munitions halves its reload time for 15 seconds. This makes it fire a shot about every 1,4 seconds and about every 1 second when on vet 2. This might sound impressive, but remember that it has only 60 penetration at maximum range while Ostheer's Panzer IV has 180 armor. It doesn't get it even close to ZiS-3's performance, but it's a nice boost to have and I think it fits its theme of small but fast firing AT gun.

4 months ago

@SquishyMuffin said:
    Wrong thread.

Indeed.

@Olekman said:
    It does have that camouflage ability in the preview patch, so there's that at least.

>

By the way, I created a small mod where the M-42 gets a "Quickfire" ability, which for 30 munitions halves its reload time for 15 seconds. This makes it fire a shot about every 1,4 seconds and about every 1 second when on vet 2. This might sound impressive, but remember that it has only 60 penetration at maximum range while Ostheer's Panzer IV has 180 armor. It doesn't get it even close to ZiS-3's performance, but it's a nice boost to have and I think it fits its theme of small but fast firing AT gun.

Oh nice ! :smile:

1 month ago

I have tried the commissar from the NKVD tactic, and yes, it is a rather weak unit. it's not worth a sturm officier nor a osteer artilery officier in term of combat power, and his abitilty are... well, maybe not bad, but else than a penal squad, which squad inside the soviet army is worth this amount of micro for a temporary buff/debuff ?

Having finally a heal outside the base is nice, but it's the soviet we are playing, and replacing model is often more important than healing.

So, I'm happy it's finnaly here, but i'm a bit underwhelmed by it's performance, compared to other officer support units *

On the other hand, the change to Urban Defense Tactics are good. The 45mm has a use again, and shock are still a excelent tool. KV2 is still a big waste of ressource, though, but usually urban defence aim for a quick win so you won't get that war.

124»