British Commander Revamp Discussion

12 months ago
Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 257 admin

Please use this thread to discuss or submit ideas for the British Commander Revamp

If you want to submit a full proposal, here are a few guidelines.

• Please choose commanders that you feel can realistically become competitive with a few good changes. Some commanders are probably beyond redemption at this point. We are aiming to revamp two commanders per faction.
  • Reminder that all proposed changes, must be preexisting units or abilities currently in the live game.
  • Suggested changes should not detract from the commanders given theme.
  • Please provide the rationale behind your proposed changes, and how they will improve said commander.
  • Where applicable, provide costs, CP values, or other details regarding particular change(s)

Comments

12 months ago
    PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 346

I believe the Mobile Assault Regiment is too slow and too weak for such a name. The Land Mattress is particularly slow and weak. This was the first commander I was awarded as loot but I never use it. Here are the abilities I would give it to make it stronger:

Mobile Assault Regiment

M2 Flamethrower
    Advanced Cover Combat
    Vehicle Crew Repairs
    Anti-Building Flame Support
    Vanguard Operation "Crocodile"

These changes would make the Mobile Assault Regiment commander a "firestarter" - flamethrowers for the engineers, a Crocodile flamethrower tank and an incendiary barrage. This is much more in line with what I consider a Mobile Assault commander should look like.

All Command Points and costs would be as they already are.

12 months ago

How about for Advanced Emplacement Regiment, something very simple?

Tank Traps baked in on Defensive Operations. There is currently no British
    Commander, with Tank Traps. There does need to be one, some of us do
    like to turtle in the games we play. Not being able to make our own chokes
    particularly vs armour, is frustrating.

It's a simple change, merely adding to the existing setup. But giving British
    players, a degree more flexibility than previously.

12 months ago
    edited July 2018

@Grey Eminence I second that idea 100%.

I know this violates the terms of this thread but, please consider this proposal before rejecting it out of hand.

The red beret the Vanguard Operations Regiment commander is wearing is that of the "Red Devils" Parachute Regiment. There are no paratroops in his special units; in fact, there are no British paratroops in the whole game. British paratroops fought on D-day as an integral part of Operation Overlord and they were the unit which fought to take and hold the "bridge too far" at Arnhem during Operation Market-Garden. Surely, they are deserving of their own unit and their own commander.

Here's what I think this commander should look like:

Vanguard Operations Regiment

Infiltration Commandos
    Paratroops
    Forward Logistics Glider
    Air Resupply Operation
    Strafing Support

Infiltration commandos would arrive at 2 Command Points but costs would stay as they are. Paratroops would arrive at 3 CP, have a Population cost of 9 and a Manpower cost of 380. All other Command Point values and costs remain as they are.

Yes, a new Paratroop unit would have to be created but, it is the only one. It would be 4 men (expandable to 5) with some light gammon bombs and a Bren upgrade. This would now give the British faction a true airborne commander like the other Western Front factions. This Regiment is sufficiently different from the Commando Regiment to have both in the game.

12 months ago

I know this violates the terms of this thread but, please consider this proposal before rejecting it out of hand.

The red beret the Vanguard Operations Regiment commander is wearing is that of the "Red Devils" Parachute Regiment. There are no paratroops in his special units; in fact, there are no British paratroops in the whole game. British paratroops fought on D-day as an integral part of Operation Overlord and they were the unit which fought to take and hold the "bridge too far" at Arnhem during Operation Market-Garden. Surely, they are deserving of their own unit and their own commander.

Here's what I think this commander should look like:

Vanguard Operations Regiment

Infiltration Commandos
    Paratroops
    Forward Logistics Glider
    Air Resupply Operation
    Strafing Support

Infiltration commandos would arrive at 2 Command Points but costs would stay as they are. Paratroops would arrive at 3 CP, have a Population cost of 9 and a Manpower cost of 380. All other Command Point values and costs remain as they are.

Yes, a new Paratroop unit would have to be created but, it is the only one. It would be 4 men (expandable to 5) with some light gammon bombs and a Bren upgrade. This would now give the British faction a true airborne commander like the other Western Front factions. This Regiment is sufficiently different from the Commando Regiment to have both in the game.

12 months ago
    DarjeelingMK7Darjeelin… Posts: 244
    edited July 2018
    I am thinking about changes special weapons regiment:
    2cp: Tank hunter infatry section.
    3cp: Us mortar HT
    4cp: resupply HT
    8cp: Hold the line
    13cp: Churchill crocodile.
    By replacing the concentration fire operation with mortar HT, we can give Ukf a decent source of mobile indirect firepower - what they are lacking.
    12 months ago

Mods, I keep losing posts to the squirrels when I try to edit them. Any suggestions about how to avoid this?

12 months ago
    Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 257 admin

@PanzerFutz said:
    Mods, I keep losing posts to the squirrels when I try to edit them. Any suggestions about how to avoid this?

Restored all your posts. The forum ate them. Not sure what was going on there.

12 months ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951
    edited July 2018

Arty Regiment overhaul:

Arty Regiment is mostly well designed to provide a solid, mid-range offensive artillery doctrine, but its core abilities are all woefully underpowered while its final ability is useless and expensive.

-Flare ability is good, no changes

-Base 25 Pounders/Conc Barrage: The 25s are slow and have inconsistent response times while the AoE is lackluster to the point that near-direct hits frequently do nothing.

• Increase rotation rate and reduce aim time on the cannons so they respond more quickly and much more consistently
    • Increase AoE of the shell, but reduce OHK radius for consistency.

-Valentine: IR scanner is buggy and can permanently reveal enemies on the minimap, the main gun is a joke and it still has Crushwell speed and infantry crush, something no other light tank has. It should perform as a competent AI unit to compliment the AEC while scaling into a spotter/range boost for the Suxtons.

• Main gun mirrored to the Greyhound's, but a second slower RoF.
    • Victor Target is now a stock ability, vet one is replaced with passive Spotting Scopes. IR is removed.
    • Light crush removed, mobility mirrored to that of the Stuart.

-Suxton: Currently costs more pop than the superior Priest, is only slightly cheaper and is otherwise inferior in every way. IMO, the Suxton should behave closer to a barrage-only 120mm mortar than the leFH and ML20, compensating the Brit's craptastic midgame artillery.

• Range to 100
    • Damage reduced to 120
    • AoE profile mirrored to new 25 Pounder profile
    • Cost to 320/85 (?), population cost to 10
    • CPs from 8 to 5

-God Awful Defensive Barrage: This ability would be trash even if it were free. Given the doctrine seems set up to attack rather than defend, Assault from Commando Regiment would be an excellent compliment.

12 months ago
    mariomario Posts: 8

yo creo que a la British le falta un nuevo caza tanques como el achillles y un vehiculo explorador como un jeep.

12 months ago
    mariomario Posts: 8

I believe that the British is missing a new fighter tank like the achillles and an explorer vehicle like a jeep.

12 months ago

@Andy_RE Thanks for your help. I write my entries on Notepad before posting them (to avoid as many mistakes as possible) but, sometimes 1 or 2 slip through. When I try to edit them, there seems to be a limit to how many changes I can make before the post disappears into the ether. With the last post, I stupidly tried to put a word in italics; it didn't work so I tried to fix it. That's when the squirrels ate it. I re-posted it into a previous comment, only to see that post disappear as well. I didn't realize they were both entered for moderation.

I hate to be a pain but, could you please remove the second post (#5 - the one where the italics did actually work). No point in having a double post.

Your help is much appreciated.

12 months ago

I really like mentioned idea about tank traps! British are only faction without this ability!
    Idea about british paratrooper sounds also great.

11 months ago
    DarjeelingMK7Darjeelin… Posts: 244
    About giving UKF tank trap, i have this ideal for a new Commander: Mobile defense regiment. This Commander allow the British force to be played defensively without having to rely on static emplacement.

Mobile defense regiment

0 CP: Infantry field defense : Allow infantry section to plant mines and razor wire, royal engineer now can built tank trap and bunke (like the one in the base).

2 CP: Tank hunter infantry section.

4 CP: M21 mortar HT from US force.

7 CP: Hold the line.

13 CP: Churchill Crocodile flame tank.

Event if this Commander isn't come true, i thing the "infantry field defense" ability will fit well in Advance emplacement regiment as a revamp.
    11 months ago
    Dangminh25Dangminh25 Posts: 64

Commando Regiment
    4CP - Commando Glider Insertion
    make commando glider Can be used as a forward retreat post

11 months ago
    Dangminh25Dangminh25 Posts: 64

give commando 1 scope SMLE pls

11 months ago
    VATSVATS Posts: 15

Special weapons regiment

[2CP]
    Call-in Tank Hunters Infantry Section.
    Tank Hunter Infantry Sections can be deployed. They are equipped with Boys AT Rifles and can detect nearby vehicles. They also have access to anti-vehicle HEAT grenades.

• Cost 300 manpower.

[2CP]
    (Passive) Demolition Charge upgrade.
    * Royal Engineers can now deploy Demolition Charge.
    * Cost 90 munitions.

[3CP]
    Call-in 81mm USF Mortar squad.

• Cost 240 manpower.

[4CP]
    M3 Supply Halftrack. Dispatch a Resupply M3 Half-track.

• This Half-Track can reinforce units and deploy Bren or PIAT weapons on the frontline.

[13CP]
    Vanguard Operation "Crocodile".

• Nearby batteries will fire a quick illumination shot to the deployment point, while a Churchill crocodile is deployed
    • Cost 700 manpower and 180 fuel.

Special weapons regiment
    British forces lack of variety on different terrains, so the Special weapons regiment can fix this problem by sending "special" units on the battlefield. Tank hunters infantry section can be a soft counter to light vehicles and if enemy goes into a hard defense or securing an urban territory you can call-in 81-mm USF artillery, Churchill "Crocodile" or place Demolition charges to deal with the entrenched enemy forces. M3 Halftrack will supply and reinforce your units for continuous attack.

11 months ago
    VATSVATS Posts: 15

Tactical support regiment

[2CP]
    Designate Command Vehicle.

• Designate a target vehicle as a Command Vehicle. The Command Vehicle will improve nearby units and increase the recharge rates of commander abilities.
    • Cost 75 munitions.

[4CP]
    Air Resupply Operation.

• Air support will automatically drop weapon supply crates on the targeted area. Drops Vickers HMG and QF-6 Pounder AT gun.
    • Cost 120 munitions.

[6CP]
    Call-in USF M5A1 Stuart.

• Can't be decrewed.
    • Platoon Command Post required.
    • Cost 270 manpower and 70 fuel.

[10CP]
    Artillery Cover.

• Artillery will automatically attack units in the area. Vehicles will be hit with disabling howitzer fire, while infantry will be suppressed with light artillery fire.
    • Cost 200 munitions.

[10CP]
    Forward Observation Point.

• Forward assembly point can now be upgraded to Forward Observation Post providing direct air and artillery support with unique abilities.
    • Cost 300 manpower and 60 Fuel.
    • Mutually exclusive with other upgrades.

Tactical support regiment.
    Tactical support regiment means that victory forges not only on the front line. Close air support, reconnaissance planes, heavy or light artillery support and resupply crates. All are available with that commander. Designate command vehicle to spot the enemy forces, equip your troops with the proper team weapons and engage them with full strength. If things goes wrong, Forward Observation Point can cover your retreat.

11 months ago
    How about let UKF call in M1 pack howitzer?
    9 months ago

Advanced Emplacement Regiment
    0CP - Defensive Operations

"Infantry section and sappers can build enplacement . trench .wire. tank trap . bunker and mines."

3CP - Improved Fortifications

3CP - Advanced Assembly

4CP - Counter Battery

10CP - Precision Barrage combine with onmap 25pdr

"Rapid response powerful artillery."

400mp75fuel
    "on map 25pdr with larger spread compare to base hq"

8 months ago
    ColonelRadecColonelRa… Posts: 52
    edited October 2018

Tactical Support

So far the changes are nice, but the only one I found lacking was the croc for the Tactical Support. A better choice for me would be a sherman 76. It provides a different flavor and tactic for the brits, not to mention is like the theme of the commander. Another option to change would be the mortar for the pack howitzer. Since the brits also used them and theres already the mortar pit, the pack can be something refreshing.

The Sappers could also be replaced by Commando with Rifles. It will also go with the commander theme, providing with unique roster. They can be upgraded with smg thompsons. Giving the players option if they want to fight from long range or close.

Now the croc with the smoke is kinda dangerous in my opinion. The tank already has a lot of health and a decent anti inf role, but giving it the smoke makes the ATG have a hard time(which they already have) and make the tank an all rounder. Having barely no weakness, requiring pure AT vehicles like panthers. That are a little burden due to the pop and reduce base armor. It would be more forgiving if they instead have another ability. Like a scorch ground ability, it uses the flamethrower in the targeted area, the flames stay a few seconds and do extra damage vs structures. Make it cost like 35-60 muni but it has weakness since the tank requires to get closer without cover and the use of other units. Unlike before you don't nothing else just this tank fill every role saving you pop and resources.

British Artillery

Love the changes to the Valentine, but the ability is kinda lame. Now it's a t-70, but with all rounder gun. I still prefer if it's just one limit call in unit. And the recon ability instead is replaced by one were when the commander is out it adds a small accuracy buff around the unit(includes vehicles and inf) a 50% slower speed and vet 1 req. Also the ability has a cooldown so it won't be abused.

Other changes I would like to see that aren't in the patch notes are the following;

The recovery sappers can be instead go to the royal engineers to replace the m2 flamethrower. The squad can upg to mine sweeper or the flamethrower(removes smoke). This unit fits better here than the other commander.

Replacing tank-hunters with the Reconnaissance Section. They are a pretty bad unit.... Low AP and accuracy, squishy and can't fight decently agains't anything. It was only useful for the snares, but if sappers get them, they would lose their only purpose. I prefer if they remove them and instead add the squad I mentioned. They are already in the game, with Icon and description. We can re-use the sniper lee-enfield so the unit can be similar to the Pathfinders, leave the tank detection ability, give em artillery flares( same as sniper, which I think is different from the tommies?) and fix one of the existing ones they have(the abilities are a camouflage one that removes the weapons and the other is smoke that drops on their feet that adds a speed boost).

Another commander ability we can take a look at is the smoke cover repair ability. This one is fine but i kinda miss the emplacement repair ability. Maybe merge them?

Now I love that Sappers would get the snare, yet I gotta say it seems a bit too much. No upg requirement, non doctrinal, a small squad pop and good range. For me a decent balance can be requiring the grenade upg and reducing the range -5. Also the tommies planting the mines are kinda overdoing it. I know they lacked snares but now they too many(AEC treadshot, sapper mines and snare(if they add it) and the last one which is the firefly. Honestly they don't need em and steals the unique mines from USF which they deserve.

Now that I mention the treadshot ability, I hate it. It can be frustrating to both the enemy and the user. Low armor and health vehicles are a easy target when combined with other ATs. I remember a situation when I was playing Okw in a 2v2 game, one of the new maps which is farm theme and has opened spaces. I was facing of a UKF player, he had 2 ATGs and one AEC. I had a PIV, went on a assault with supporting troops on the field. They had to retreat because of the mgs and my PIV was providing counter fire on the MG when the 2 ATGs, pop up I was retreating and then the AEC also made an appearance. I reversed the PIV, but the AEC managed to shoot my tank. Leaving him like a sitting duck on the open field. I couldn't do anything so I lost him since the 6 pounder has good accuracy and AP. I still think they should replace it with a smoke shot ability. The mortar pit smoke is only situational can't help much on early assaults.

Another unit that can use a look at is the comet. The first thing is that it has too much abilities....Maybe replace smoke and let it have the phos shot at vet 0. This can help it scale better and reduce the ability cluster. Right now it has warspeed, smoke repair, grenade, smoke shot and white phos(hold fire and AT only which are kinda like abilities). Which is a huge cluster on the UI. Also maybe buff the unit overall, it feels like a resource trap, for both pop and fuel. With vet the unit doesn't reduce the reload speed and scatter stays the same. Maybe revert range(vet 1) or increase damage(vet1).