New Commander Ideas

8 months ago
PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 274

Here is a simplified list of my ideas for new commanders. I have tried to limit the number of new units and new abilities to ones which are essential to creating the new commanders. However, when the official new commander suggestion threads appear, I will only be sumbmitting those which require nothing new. Please feel free to comment on any of my ideas. Feedback is essential to avoiding any issues regarding the combinations of various units under one commander.

Tagged:

Comments

8 months ago

Soviet:

Breakthrough Tactics
    (like the Wehrmacht commander but using Soviet abilities)

Commissar Squad (or Shock Troops)
    Recon Overflight
    For Mother Russia
    Vehicle Crew Repair Training
    Assault Artillery Barrage (OKW-style)

Logistics Support Tactics

Industry Push - all munitions expenditures permanently reduced by 10%
    Cargo Truck - same as Wehrmacht version
    Repair Station
    Manpower Drive - Manpower rate doubled for 1 minute in exchange for munitions
    Scorched Earth - Soviet Version of Sector Artillery (Incendiary). 

Red Banner Guards Tactics
    (a Soviet version of the Wehrmacht's Elite Forces Doctrine)

Forward Headquarters
    Guards Rifle Infantry
    Conscript Assault Package
    IL-2 Bombing Run
    Hero of The Soviet Union Tank - 3 star JS-2 like the Tiger Ace

Guards Airborne Tactics

Partisans
    Weapons Drop (Maxim MG, PM41 Mortar, M42 AT gun)
    Paratroops
    For Mother Russia
    IL-2 Precision Bombing Strike

Ambush Tactics

PMD-6 Anti-Personnel Mines
    Tank Hunter Ambush Tactics
    Booby Trap Territory
    Incendiary Artillery Barrage
    IL-2 Precision Bombing Strike

Wehrmacht:

Air Assault Doctrine
    (like the OKW Luftwaffe commander but with American Airborne-type abilities)

Weapons Drop (MG42, mortar, Panzerschrek)
    Recon Loiter
    Fallschirmjaegers (with FG42 upgrade!)
    Valiant Assault
    Air Assault

Sudden Strike Doctrine

Ambush Training
    Stormtroopers
    Tactical Movement
    Light Artillery Barrage
    Stuka Bombing Strike

US:

Air Support Company
    (an American version of Wehrmacht Close Air Support)

Supply Drop
    Recon Loiter
    P47 Fighter Strafe
    P47 Rocket Strike
    P47 Bombing Run

Assault Support Company

Reserve Armor
    I & R Pathfinders
    M3 Half-Track Assault Group
    P47 Strafe
    Time-on-Target Artillery Barrage

Deception Operations Company

I & R Pathfinders
    Rifleman Flares
    White Phosphorus Smoke Barrage
    M83 Cluster Mines
    M7B1 Priest HMC

**OKW: **

Advanced Weapons Doctrine

Goliath
    Infrared StG44 Package
    High Explosive Anti-Tank(HEAT) Shells
    Rocket Barrage
    Command Panther
    +[King Tiger]

Artillery Support Doctrine
    (an OKW version of the Royal Artillery Regiment)

Sturmoffizier
    Artillery Flares
    Light Artillery Barrage
    leFH18 Artillery
    Zeroing Artillery
    +[King Tiger]

Mobile Offense Doctrine

Heavy Fortifications
    Cargo Truck (Same as Wehrmacht)
    251 Half-Track (call-in)
    105 mm Howitzer Barrage
    Panther Command Tank
    +[King Tiger]

**British: **

Lend-Lease Armoured Regiment
    (giving the Brits a better selection of armour)

M21 Mortar Half-Track
    Resupply Half-Track (from Special Weapons Regiment)
    M10 Wolverine
    M7B1 Priest HMC
    P47 Rocket Strike

8 months ago
    TRMerchantTRMerchant Posts: 3
    edited July 2018

I'll second the Lend-Lease for the Brits with one change. Instead of the Priest I would insert something for the infantry. Maybe Thompsons.
    Also, US Air Support. Instead of P-47 Bombing Run, unless they just reskin the IL-2 bombing run, insert the Cluster mines.
    Good stuff though PanzerFutz.

8 months ago
    HumayunHumayun Posts: 1

I would like to add one thing to this British Lend lease Idea is to give them M4 Sherman of US instead of M10 Wolverine and the Idea of Thompsons is pretty good, and also the supply drops to it.

8 months ago
    edited July 2018

@TRMerchant @Humayun Thanks for the replies.

As this commander is Lend-Lease and the weapons are American-made, it would be preferable if the weapons available from the Resupply Half-Track were also American. The straight swap would be Bazookas + M1919 LMG's for PIAT's and Brens. However, there is an argument to be made that the Bren is a pretty good LMG so other weapons could be used. The Thompson is a good assault weapon but it lacks range; the BAR has range but it has a low rate of fire. Which of the 3 American guns you would use is a matter of circumstances and personal taste so, I'd leave that to the developers.

As for the Sherman, I have issues with historical accuracy. The Brits only used the short-gunned M4's (as far as I'm aware) and developed the Firefly themselves to fix the weakness of its main gun. I don't think we'd be gaining much if it was just a standard M4 substitution. I would be happy to substitute an M4A3/76W or an "Easy 8" for the Wolverine but, (as far as I know) the British didn't use any of them (including the Wolverine).

The use of a Wolverine is really just a work-around for the absence of the British TD's from the game (namely, the Archer and the Achilles). I wanted something that offered the British player a middle ground between the Cromwell and the Firefly. It has a better gun than the Cromwell and a faster rate of fire & faster turret rotation than the Firefly. It's big weakness is that the developers didn't include a .50 cal upgrade (they most certainly had them in reality).

As for US Air Support, I am of the opinion that leaving out the P47 Bombing Run from CoH1 was a big mistake. It's also one of the easist things to bring back. The developers have a P47 model and they have other bombing attacks which could be re-skinned with it. The US faction is seriously lacking in air power which is the opposite of historical reality (if it weren't for their air superiority, they would have had their arses handed to them in nearly every battle).

I came up with this commander specifically to give players the ability to use air power decisively. The huge drawback of this commander and his Luftwaffe eqivalent is that their abilities are extremely munitions-intensive. Not many players would use them for this reason alone but, it's still nice to have the option.

[Further research shows that the British did, in fact, use the Wolverine but not the 76 armed Shermans.]

8 months ago

@TRMerchant I forgot to say that the Cluster Mines is an excellent suggestion if the developers won't bring back the Bombing Run. It's an air power ability and I think it would also be the cheaper option. When the official New Commanders Thread opens, I will be submitting my US Air Support Company idea with that instead (to increase its chances of acceptance). My thanks to you.

8 months ago

New idea for the Soviets.

Sledgehammer Tactics

Conscript PTRS
    Guards Rifle Infantry
    HM-38 120mm Mortar Squad
    B-4 203mm Howitzer
    KV-2 Heavy Assault Tank

The name says it all. For those who like brute force.

8 months ago
    ЯedTurianЯedTurian Posts: 17

@PanzerFutz said:
    New idea for the Soviets.

Sledgehammer Tactics

Conscript PTRS
    Guards Rifle Infantry
    HM-38 120mm Mortar Squad
    B-4 203mm Howitzer
    KV-2 Heavy Assault Tank

The name says it all. For those who like brute force.

@PanzerFutz
    OH YEAH BABY I LIKE THAT
    If they put it in the game It would just perfectly fit my playstyle :love: . But I don't have much hope unfortunately

8 months ago

Heres me suggestion for a new OKW commander.
    Defensive Armour Doctrine:
    Sturmpionners can lay Reigel anti tank mines
    Tanks have access to hull down
    Tank commanders survey the field; giving better spotting range/accuracy.
    Stuka dive bombers strafe enemy armour
    JagdPanther is available for call in

8 months ago

@wesley_dunham This OKW commander looks like he uses a lot of Ostheer abilities, which is always interesting to me - especially if they're in a combinantion not seen in an Ostheer commander.

Hull Down and Anti-Tank Stuka Loiter are both straightforward and very well suited to the doctrine. I'm not sure whether the "tank commanders" you mention is Panzer Commander or Command Panther but either one is good. Sturmpioneers laying Riegel mines is an interesting thought but, I think they're meant to be too heavy to be carried by hand (which is why they're laid by half-track).

If you used the normal Riegel Mines ability from Ostheer but made all the half-track units in the OKW arsenal capable of laying them, that would increase the versatility of units which otherwise don't get much use. The IR searchlight half-track and the AA half-track could both use some more functionality and this ability would help with that.

Unfortunately, it's been made very clear to me that, no matter how much we all want to see the Jagdpanther brought back, it's not going to happen. The best suggestion I've heard so far is to swap the Jagdpanzer IV for a normal Hetzer in the OKW's standard arsenal and have a better version of the Jagdpanzer IV as a doctrinal unit. Its current Sneak mode would be supplemented by something to make it a better ambush unit, like the Forward Focus of the SU-85 or the Spotting Flare of the 17-pdr.

All in all, your commander sounds like a good addition to the OKW roster. Keep the ideas coming. The more new ideas we can create, the more likely we'll see something we like when they bring out the new commanders. Cheers.

7 months ago
    TRMerchantTRMerchant Posts: 3
    edited July 2018

USF
    Infantry Support/Anti Infantry

Rifle Field Defense
    M21 Mortar Half-track
    Ranger Squad
    White Phosphorous Smoke Barrage
    Cluster Mines

This idea is just geared towards handling infantry and supporting your own.

USF
    Anti-Armor

Assault Engineers (laying mines)
    WC51 Truck (for the mark target ability or just swap in the ability from the Soviet Commanders)
    Recon Loiter
    P-47 Rocket Strike
    M-26 Pershing

Like the general name of the commander says it for countering Axis armor

7 months ago

@PanzerFutz You mentioned somewhere in another thread that Easy's need to be moved to another commander. I too would like to see them utilized differently just not sure where or how.

7 months ago

@TRMerchant Those are 2 very nice suggestions for the US faction.

I don't think they'll swap in the Soviet Mark Target ability so, it would have to be the WC51 Truck. I also like seeing the Rangers and the Pershing being used somewhere other than Heavy Cavalry.

With the "Easy 8", it might help if I explain my views regarding US call-in tanks.

In the game, instead of giving the best US tank (the Pershing) to the Armor company (as they should have), they gave it to Heavy Cavalry. The "Easy 8" was probably the fastest of the Shermans (because of its Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension) and should have been given to the cavalry. [It wasn't faster because it had a more powerful engine; it could just be driven faster because of its better suspension.] The M4A3 (76) is in the right place with the Mechanized Company. The Sherman 105 is an infantry support tank and it probably suits the Rifle Company best. In the other thread, I suggested swapping the 105 from Armor with the "Easy 8" from Rifle, as a simple 1-for-1 swap. I'd really rather see them roll all three - the Pershing from Cavalry to Armor, the "Easy 8" from Rifle to Cavalry and, the 105 from Armor to Rifle. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that getting anything changed is like pushing sh*t uphill - very difficult and you end up covered in it.

There are other Companies which could use these tanks but, as has been explained to me by people who know more about the mechanics of the game, there are issues with stacking certain units and abilities under the one commander which preclude their use together. Some abilities offer bonuses which make some units perform well beyond their true abilities and make them so overly-powerful it becomes ridiculous.

I don't know enough to tell you what those unit and abilities are. The best we can do is offer up the suggestions and let those who know better explain why it can or can't be done

7 months ago

USF needs more Easy Eight Shermans and Time on Target or 105mm artillery in more doctrines.

7 months ago

@SimpleSimon I bought the Mechanized commander because he had an artillery strike, only to see it disappear after a revamp. Some players preferred to have the Mortar Half-track instead but, I prefer the off-map strike. I like the new commander but would be happy to get the strike back in place of the Mortar HT.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen, though. Every time they do a revamp or re-balance someone always loses out. If you're pushing for more off-map strikes (which I would like to see also), be aware there will be pushback from those who don't like them. These people seem to yearn for the "good old days" of Close Combat, when there were no artillery or airstrikes, and the "purists" could fight it out with just ground units. I would hate to see this game go backwards like that.

7 months ago
    AntiFascistWarriorAntiFasci… Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 4

Hi,
    I have some suggestions as follows:

Soviet:
    Add a commander which could dispatch commissar/officer squad(since Soviet is the only faction that doesn't have an officer squad), which could boost nearby units' morale and accuracy, and be able to dispatch KV-2 tank eventually.

US:
    Add a commander that allows engineers to construct 105MM howitzer(similar to COH 1), and be able to dispatch a M5 half-track with a squad of cavalry riflemen(units in the Ardennes Assault campaign).

UK:
    Add a commander that could dispatch an officer who can follow a squad of infantry to increase the targeted infantry morale and accuracy(like British Forces in COH 1), and can dispatch a 3-inch mortar squad.

7 months ago

@FrankCortez Hi, good to see another Aussie on these threads, especially one who's joining the chorus calling for a Commissar Squad for the Soviets.

I think there's also quite a bit of support for the return of the US 105mm Arty. The developers have said "no new models" pretty clearly but, they could just re-skin the Wehrmacht leFH18 if they really wanted it. I don't think many people would mind if it didn't look accurate.

You're also not alone in wanting a British commander with an officer unit that's not in a tank. However, this is the least likely of your 3 suggestions to come to pass because, it would require a whole new unit with new models. The guidelines for the current revamp state pretty clearly "no new units or abilities" and I'm guessing the New Commanders threads will be under the same restriction.

This is an unofficial thread for new ideas but, we gotta start somewhere. So, keep posting. We can only hope the developers are taking notice.

7 months ago
    AntiFascistWarriorAntiFasci… Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 4

@PanzerFutz Thanks for your comments! I think there're few people in Australia who like to play COH, so we may become friends on steam to play COH2 together.

7 months ago

@PanzerFutz The UKF already have an 4-man Officer Squad all armed with Suppressed Sten SMGs that can boost morale and break suppression to infantry since UKF was released in the Vanguard Operations Regiment two years ago. That Heroic Charge ability on that commander is already ludicrous with a +40% Accuracy increase, -75% received accuracy, -20% weapon cooldown, All infantry nearby will sprint.

7 months ago

@MSAF_Unbekannt_15 Arggh! The Curse of the Commander I Don't Have strikes again!

The question is: just how pedantic are the developers going to be about the guidelines? Will they re-purpose the Air-landing Officer squad to perform other roles or does it only come with the Forward Logistics Glider? Could it be used as an Artillery Field Officer squad for the Royal Artillery Regiment (as discussed in the British Commander Revamp thread) , for example? Will they be willing to re-skin units so that other factions can use them (paratroops, 105 mm arty and so on)?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

7 months ago
    @PanzerFutz

Also, CoH2 already have the necessary assets to model british paratroopers from already existing models using Airlanding Officer bodies and British Sniper heads. It would create a visually accurate portrayal of British Paratrooper Uniforms during WWII.
    7 months ago

7 months ago

@MrMonkfish Interesting commanders. Do you have any names for their doctrines? The US one could be called Heavy Armor but, you might have something different in mind. Would you be willing to provide a little explanation for your choices? They look good but, a little insight into your thinking might help with understanding them. Thanks.

7 months ago

@MrMonkfish Your British commander is very similar to an idea I call the Armour Support Regiment. The idea behind this doctrine is to provide a variety of support options to armoured thrusts. The only difference is the use of Assault instead of the Land Mattress. I'm not a fan of the Land Mattress due to its low mobility. I believe Assault would help the infantry keep pace with the tanks during an assault (or at least not fall so far behind). All the other items fit this doctrine very well. Here's how I see the Armour Support Regiment looking:

Tank Hunter Infantry
    Designate Command Vehicle
    Assault
    Vehicle Crew Repair
    Strafing Support

I've had this idea rolling around in my head for a while but, it didn't crystallize until I saw your version. I hope you don't mind me offering it as an alternative. [All Command Point values and costs would be as they are.]

7 months ago
    edited August 2018

One of the things I've noticed, while examining the commanders in search of new ideas, is that some items are used repeatedly but a number of items appear only once. This seems odd to me because, some of these unique items look quite useful and I'm left wondering why they weren't used again. So, in the spirit of the saying that "if you want something done right, do it yourself", I'm offering up some new commanders that, almost exclusively, use these singular items. The choices were limited but, I think I've forged them into reasonably cohesive doctrines. I'm calling them the "Second Chance" commanders.

Wehrmacht:

Counter Infantry Doctrine

Counterattack Tactics
    Assault Grenadiers
    Stun Grenades
    Incendiary Bombing Run
    StuG III E Assault Gun

This is a German counterpart to the Soviet Anti-Infantry Tactics. The doctrine is geared towards the early game, offering the means to defeat enemy infantry tactics and quickly capture territory while awaiting the arrival of heavier armor support

Armor Disruption Doctrine

Cargo Truck
    Mechanized Assault Group
    Sdkfz 234 'Puma' Armored Car
    Breakthrough
    Sector Artillery

This doctrine is about using light armor elements to capture or recapture territory and withdraw before enemy armor arrives. Once the enemy armor appears, the artillery can degrade or even destroy it before a proper counterattack finishes the job. The doctrine is both fuel and munitions intensive so, the cargo truck is needed to provide a greater return of resources.

Soviet:

Counter Armor Tactics

M4C Sherman
    PMD-6 Light Anti-Tank Mines
    Tank Traps
    M5 Half-track Assault Group
    IL-2 PTAB Anti-Tank Bombing Run

The idea of this doctrine is to use the mines, tank traps and the bombing run to deny the use of armor to the enemy as much as possible. The Sherman and the Assault group can be used to protect the Engineers, to counterattack or simply as additions to the main battle group. However, both units could really use a buff to make them worthwhile.

If I'm being honest, this doctrine is a bit of a mongrel. After compiling a list of unique Soviet items, I removed those I've already used in the suggestions above. This didn't leave me with much and this is the best I could do. I thought about calling it Leftover Tactics but, there's no chance it would be used if I did. I doubt anyone will like it but, if it inspires others to come up with something better, it will have served a purpose.

7 months ago

I've had some time to think about my last post. I've realized that the names "Armor Disruption" and "Counter Armor" needed to be swapped. The Ostheer doctrine is geared toward using light armor to disrupt the enemy's supply lines, while the Soviet doctrine is geared toward directly countering enemy armor so, I've edited the post above to reflect this.

Having realised this, it became apparent that the Soviet doctrine was not sufficient to its intended task. I have reformulated it with looser guidelines regarding single use items, looking for things which truly fit the doctrine instead. Here's the reformulated Soviet commander:

Counter Armor Tactics

Tank Traps
    PMD-6 Light Anti-tank Mines
    Partisan Tank Hunters
    IL-2 PTAB Anti-tank Bombing Run
    ISU-152 Heavy Assault Gun

Now all the items in this roster fit the doctrine. The Assault Gun replaces the Sherman and gives the player a much stronger late game counter to enemy armor, while the Assault Group is replaced by the more suitable Partisan Tank Hunters. This doctrine is a variation of Tank Hunter that places more emphasis on trapping enemy tanks in prepared killing grounds and destroying them. This commander is much more desirable than the version above.

7 months ago

Here are some of my more outlandish Ideas for new commanders, and Please tell me what you guys think?

Wehrmacht

Relentless Assault:

(2cp) Grenadier FG-42 Package
    Grens can now equipped with Two FG-42s and Blendkörper 2H Frangible Smoke Grenade

(2cp) Command half-track kits
    SdKfz 251 Half-track can be upgrade with a Forward retreat point. While Forward retreat point is active the half track can not move until FRP is deactivated

(4cp) HEAT shells
    Tanks can now use the HEAT shells ability

(6cp) Flammpanzer 38t "Hetzer"
    can be built in the Support Armor Korps

(13cP) Tiger 1

OKW

erbeutete Waffen (captured weapons)

(0cp) Captured Light vehicles
    WC51 Military Truck & 3/4 Ambulance can be built at Command HQ

(0cP) thorough Salvage

(2cp) Captured Small arms packages
    Sturmpioneer can now be upgraded with 2 Bazookas
    VolkGgenadier can be upgraded with 1 M1919 LMG
    Obersoldaten can be upgrade with 4 Thompson SMG

(2cp) Panzerfüsilier

(6cp) M4A3 Sherman Medium Tank
    Sherman tank can now be built at Schwerer Panzer HQ

USF

Re-purposed German Vehicles

(0cp) Assault engineers

(0cp) Riflemen Field Defenses

(3cp) Re-purposed German Light Vehicles
    SdKfz 221 Scout Car and infrared halftrack can now be built at Platoon Com. Post

(7cp) Re-purposed German tanks
    Panther tanks and Flammpanzer 38t Hetzer can now be built at Battalion Com. Post

(13cp) Re-purposed German Tiger tank
    Tiger can now be called onto the battlefield

7 months ago
    edited August 2018

@SomeguyfromIdaho Very interesting.

Relentless Assault looks really good and most of it is easy to do. The Command Half-track is the only real re-work so, if they were to do it, I would suggest adding the munitions buff that the OKW Blitz gets. It might come in very handy while defending the Foward Retreat Point.

Captured weapons sounds like fun but, it could get confusing if you're playing against the US. There are a couple of sticking points for me. First, I'm not sure why you would want to give Sturmpioneers and Volksgrenadiers US weapons (Obersoldaten having Thompsons needs no explanation), other than for consistency. Second, I don't think the OKW should be able to "build" US vehicles; they really should just be call-ins. Perhaps that's just me being pedantic.

The US version looks fun but also so historically inaccurate. Same issue of being able to "build" vehicles so, I would limit it to the Scout Car and Flammpanzer as call-ins (the Tiger is already a call-in so it's good). But that's just me. I would still want to play this commander if it was available.

I really wish they were adding more than just one new commander per faction. There are so many good ideas from which to choose; it's a pity we're not going to see more of them. I hope at least one of these makes the cut.

7 months ago

@PanzerFutz Thanks for the feedback

First about the weapons for Sturmpioneers and Volksgrenadiers. The Spio panzerschreck upgrade is terrible it reduces their Infantry combat ability for a single inaccurate AT weapon that needs to used in mass to be effective this is where the 2 bazookas come in they are more accurate and have a faster reload making Spios better at their AT Roles, and the Thompsons Obers will take their place as close range fighters. Because Obers would become CQC troopers someone needs to fill the role of Long range Fighters that job falls to the Volk giving them LMG 1919 Allows them specialize in long range combat.

Second the reason "Captured and Re-purposed Vehicles" are "built" is to avoid call in abuse for example the Re-purposed German Vehicles would OP they could just call in Panthers without teching up to Tier 4.

Sidenote: Using captured weapons and vehicles was more common for the Axis, but the Allies did the same it was just more rare.

7 months ago

@SomeguyfromIdaho Thanks for explaining it for me; it makes a lot of sense now that you have.

I would still favour call-ins but with the restrictions I mentioned (no Panthers, just Scout Cars, Flammpanzers and one Tiger at a time). I think this would limit any abuse. I also think these vehicles fill some specific voids in the US arsenal, which is why I find this commander so interesting.

Thanks for the pic; I've never seen it before. I wasn't aware the US actually used German weapons in combat; I thought they just tested them on ranges for analysis purposes. I guess I'll need to do some more reading. Cheers.

7 months ago

@MSAF_Unbekannt_15 has come up with some new ideas for the German factions in the Revamp threads. However, I'm of the opinion that these are really new commanders so, I've decided to add them here. My apologies to MSAF_Unbekannt_15 that these are the watered down versions but, anyone who wishes to see the original ideas may see them on the Revamp threads. I've also swapped their names because, I think they suit these versions better.

Ostheer Light Mechanized Doctrine

Counterattack Tactics
    Panzer II Luchs (call-in)
    Mechanized Grenadier Group
    Command Tank (Pzkw IV)
    Stuka Close Air Support

OKW Motorised Infantry Doctrine

Breakthrough Tactics
    Assault Package
    Panzerfusiliers
    Opel Blitz Truck
    Panther Command Tank

These are good ideas, worthy of due consideration, and they inspired me to come up with one of my own. It's designed to assist OKW players in the earlier stages of the game, before they have access to good tanks.

OKW Infantry Assault Doctrine

Assault Package
    Stuka Smoke Recon
    Opel Blitz
    Valiant Assault
    Rocket Barrage

It might not be as good as MSAF_Unbekannt_15's commanders but, I think it's worth a look. Cheers.