New Commander Ideas

2»

Comments

4 months ago
    PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 239
    edited September 2018

With the commander revamp now available for preview, we can see that it's a "glass half-full, half-empty" kind of revision. Some things are good, while others are disappointing - in many cases because they didn't go far enough in changing things.

Because I didn't see the sort of changes that I believe were necessary for the US faction, I've come up with a new US commander to fill a specific role that I think is missing from the faction. So, here it is:

Assault Company

Reserve Armor
    Fire Up
    Paratroopers
    M83 Cluster Mines
    Sherman Calliope

The Reserve Armor gives this company the tanks it needs to deal with the oppposition's heavy armor but, it also allows a player to use the dozer upgrade to improve his infantry defences. Fire Up allows Riflemen to rush enemy positions under the cover of officer's smoke grenades, getting close enough to use their own frag grenades to devastating effect. Paratroopers, operating as elite infantry, can either provide additional assault units or light machinegun cover. The cluster mines provide a quick, light barrage that occasionally strikes by delayed effect. Finally, the Calliope supplies the player with a barrage weapon that can be used in both offense and defense, but which doesn't eat up his munitions stockpile.

This commander comes with a unique combination of units and abilities, designed to fill a role the other commanders cannot cover.

4 months ago
    MSAF_Unbekannt_15MSAF_Unbe… Posts: 60
    edited September 2018

@PanzerFutz Apologies for not being active recently. I've also developed a rather watered down version of the Ostheer's Light Mechanized Doctrine, converting it entirely into an armoured infantry focus.

Panzer Lehr Doctrine

[0CP] - 250 Halftracks
    250 Halftracks can now be purchased in the Liechte Mechanized Kompanie.

[0CP] - Panzer Maintenance Kits
    Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers can now perform repairs. Pioneers can now perform advanced repairs

[2CP] - Armoured Infantry Package
    _PzB-39 AT rifles and G43s can now be issued to frontline infantry. Pioneers can now be upgraded with 2x PzB-39 AT rifles. Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers can now be upgraded with G43 Rifles.

[3CP] - Stuka Smoke Reconnaissance
    JU-87 Stuka will perform a reconnaissance pass, dropping smoke on the targeted location.

[12CP] - Command Panther
    Command Panther can now be deployed.

Statistical Changes

1. 250 Halftrack
    • 200MP/10F
    • 4 Models total in the canopy.
    • 2 Transport Slots with Interchangeable squad members in Halftrack canopy depending on targets. [So if there is a Panzergrenadier with schrecks and Grenadier LMG squad inside the Halftrack, 3 STG-44s and an MG42 model will appear on the canopy when targeting infantry, while 2 Panzerschrecks, 1 MG42 and 1 STG44 will appear on the canopy when targeting armour, for example.]
    • No reinforcement capability.
    • 320HP [Same as 251 Halftrack]
    1. Infantry Maintenance Kits
    • Pioneer repair speed increased to Sturmpioneer with Hazard Removal Package repair speed.
    1. Armoured Infantry Package
    • PzB-39 AT rifles do 80 damage and are a carbon copy of PTRS-41 with PzB-39 models. Opting to modify Jaeger Light Infantry Package by allowing Pioneers access to PzB-39 across all commanders with that ability. This would turn it into a Jaeger Package.
    1. Stuka Smoke Reconnaissance
    • Carbon copy of Smoke Bombs.
    1. Command Panther
    • Carbon copy of OKW Command Panther with respective veterancy bonuses being meshed into 3 levels instead of 5.

What are your thoughts on this version of the original Light Mechanized Doctrine?

4 months ago

@MSAF_Unbekannt_15 Good to see you back.

This is a simpler concept than your original Motorized Infantry Doctrine so, it's more likely to be used as it is. I like the general idea, just as I liked the original idea. However, two issues stand out for me.

1) Having 2 slots for the 250 Half-track probably won't happen but, it would still be handy to have if they buff its defensive levels. I would also make it cheaper than the 251 given that it only has one slot, it has no machine guns, it can't reinforce and it can't be upgraded.

2) I don't get the fascination with the Panzerbusch 39. It only used a 7.92 mm round, compared to 14 mm for the Boys and 14.5 mm for the PTRS. It had a higher muzzle velocity than the others but, the lower projectile weight meant that, even though it was more likely to penetrate, it did less damage. It fired at around the same rate as the Boys (10 shots/minute) so, it wasn't really a rapid fire weapon. I get that it's more accurate than a panzerschrek but, I don't think it could do much damage. I also think it is not historically accurate for the time-frame of the game. My research suggests that most of the guns had been converted to the Granatbusche 39 by 1944.

This is not to say it doesn't have a place in the game, just that it seems to only be needed early in the game for dealing with half-tracks and scout cars. After tanks start appearing, this weapon shouldn't have much impact. In fact, I believe the same should be true for the PTRS. It's way too powerful in the game compared to what it could do in real life. I'd prefer to see all the anti-tank rifles limited to the same amount of damage as heavy machine-guns, with critical shots being their "ace-in-the-hole" ability. This would be more consistent with reality. Alas, this game doesn't pay much heed to reality so, I doubt it will ever happen.

On another note, have you played with the revised commanders yet? I like most of what they've done but, I'm not impressed with the way they've handled the Soviet Commissar. I was hoping for something more like the Ostheer Artillery Field Officer but, they have limited his buffs to just one unit at a time and they haven't included any medical supplies. I'm hoping they'll change that before they finalize the patch but, I'm not optimistic.

4 months ago

@PanzerFutz

The idea of having two squad slots for the 250 Halftrack stems from CoH1 Era 250 Halftracks which could house up to 8 infantry models despite already having an MG42 with minor suppression and 3 canopy models. The cost of 200MP and 10F is justified considering that you already need to build the Liechte Mechanized and that it is in line with the WC51s [by having almost 40% more health than the WC51 with this HP change to 320]. For reference, the 251 is 200MP and 30F.

The idea of the PzB-39 was mostly due to the fact that CoH2 already has a model for it in ToW and its very own sound profile. [If I'm not wrong, it's the stock Barrett. 50cal sound effect.] It adds more variety into the game and it is very useful when upgraded on Pioneers especially considering that allied tanks have a lower armour value and are more likely to penetrate. It offers a doctrinal option for pioneers to soft-counter light armour like AECs, UCs, AA Halftracks, SU-76s and essentially becomes cost-effective for pioneers and increases veterancy gain for pioneer squads into Vet 3. Pioneers with Panzerschrecks are too much so the PzB-39 was the obvious choice. It also provides Pioneers with the option to destroy sandbags, obstacles and tank traps and other forms of static cover using Attack Move, providing infantry squads some form of indirect support.

I have not played any of the revised commanders although I have read the patch notes thus far. I'm just hoping that this commander design idea is at the very least heard.

4 months ago
    Schoki_JaegerSchoki_Ja… Posts: 10
    edited September 2018

My Idea of an Urban Assault Doktrin for USF:

• Raid tactics
    • Cavalry Riflemen or Assault Engineers or Ranger (some unit capable of CQB)
    • Passive: Infantry gets access to fire grenades (like the already existing grenade from the OKW´s Volksgrenadier)
    • Combined Arms
    • (New Unit) Heavy Assault Tank M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman (postwar nickname "Jumbo" - extra armour including 1 inch on
      front, but about 3-4 mph slower. Giving the USF a true heavy Tank unlike the Pershing witch is
      more like a tank destroyer than a heavy.)

And my Idea of an Tank hunter Doktrin for USF:

• Rifleman Defensive Package
    • M3 Halftrack (Being abel to repair nearby vehicles like in the Ardenen
      Assault)

• Serching for Vehicles on the Minimap (Like the ability from the
      Sturmtiger Doktrin)

• Tank Destroyer M10 "Wolverine"

• M26 Pershing (maybe add a new upgrade witch makes the M26 to an
      T26E4 witch has even more pen but longer reload.)
    4 months ago

@Schoki_Jaeger They're interesting ideas but, any doctrine which requires new units is unlikely to be used by the developers. The "Jumbo" isn't hard to do because, they could use the Sherman model and just change its values to make it heavier. However, the Incendiary Grenades and Vehicle Detection are from other factions so, we're unlikely to see them given to US units.

I was discussing some similar ideas with @C3Tooth on the US Commander Revamp thread. They're a bit different to your ideas but, they share many features. This is what they look like:

Strangely, paratroopers seem to fit these doctrines quite well, especially if you drop them into your base and use them as ground troops. Normal para's work well as assault troops, while the support para's become potent AT units when equipped with bazookas.

Make sure you submit your ideas on the official New Commander threads when they appear. The more ideas the developers receive, the more likely it is we'll see something we like when they're done. Cheers.

4 months ago

@PanzerFutz said:
    The "Jumbo" isn't hard to do because, they could use the Sherman model and just change its values to make it heavier.

Not really that simple. You want each unit to appear unique, so players can tell them apart at a glance. For Jumbo Sherman the least you would need would be an unique texture and unit icon, I think. Icon is fairly simple, but textures require more work and I somewhat doubt that Relic would use fanbase designs, no matter how willing the community would be for that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see M4A3E2 Assault Tank in the game, but chances of that are very low.

4 months ago

@Olekman Yeah, I don't think they'll do it either. However, the "Jumbo" was almost identical to the M4A3(76)W except for the thickness of the armor so, if they wanted to do it they could. They could differentiate them by putting track covers on one model but not the other. They could also put a little elephant in the unit icon to distinguish it even further. But my impression is that Relic isn't very interested in adding new units so, I agree the chances are very slim that we'll see it happen.

I advise anyone creating new doctrines to stick to units, abilities and upgrades that already exist in the game. Still, I do enjoy seeing people pushing the envelope a bit because, there are so many good weapons which never made it into the game or were lost when CoH1 was superseded by CoH2. This isn't an official thread so, I encourage people to think a little bit laterally, even when there's not much chance of their ideas being put to use. You never know what's going to strike a chord with the developers so, new ideas will always be welcome on this thread. Cheers.

4 months ago

Here's my idea for new USF commander, based on the 291st Engineer Combat Battalion, which in the early days of Battle of the Bulge delayed and eventually halted Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Engineer Combat Company

(Available as a mod in the Workshop! Replaces Armor Company.)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1511963836

[0 CP] Assault Engineers
    [2 CP] Pillboxes (Assault Engineers and Rear Echelons squads can now build Pillboxes - forward reinforcement points that can fill different roles thanks to a variety of upgrades.)
    [3 CP] Anti-Tank Rifle Grenade Package (Troops can now be upgraded into dedicated anti-tank rifle grenadiers.)
    [3 CP] Expert Engineers (Assault Engineers and Rear Echelon squads build mines and defensive structures 50% faster. All mines and demolition charges cost 20% less.)
    [9 CP] M7B1 Priest Howitzer Motor Carriage

More details in the Steam link, but basically I've used existing in-game assets in creative ways to create a new building and weapon upgrade for USF. While there are new abilities, they use things that are already in the game, so the commander technically fits Relic's requirements. :wink:

EDIT: I kept accidentally removing my post for some reason.

4 months ago

@Olekman I like your style, sir. Engineers are an under-appreciated asset in any army and I like seeing them get a little love. I also appreciate your canny use of already existing things; we're seeing more things migrate from the campaigns and ToW missions so, I think they're open to that idea.

If I might make one suggestion, it would be to roll the Pillboxes into the Expert Engineers upgrade and use the free slot for Riflemen Field Defenses. I don't know if this can be done but, I believe it would make this doctrine very powerful defensively.

Hat tip for the historical reference. You've made a history-lover smile :) .

4 months ago

@PanzerFutz said:

If I might make one suggestion, it would be to roll the Pillboxes into the Expert Engineers upgrade and use the free slot for Riflemen Field Defenses. I don't know if this can be done but, I believe it would make this doctrine very powerful defensively.

I've considered it in early iterations, but I think it's somewhat redundant when you have Assault Engineers. Plus, it would make this commander slightly more similar to Infantry Company, which I tried to avoid. Also, not sure if getting cheap and quick to lay mines on Riflemen would be balanced.

Anyway, thanks for feedback! I've been making that commander for the past week and I'm finally happy with it and ready to get some second opinions.

4 months ago

Soviet - Overwhelming Fire Power

2cp- Conscript soldat package (new)
    Conscripts can now receive 6 SVT 40 for improved Mid to long range combat ability and unlocks RG-42 grenades

2cp-: DShK 38 Heavy Machine Gun

2cp- HM-38 120mm Mortar

5cp- Conscript repair

12cp- Isu 152

the play style of this commander is early con spam then into improved con spam supported by DShK 38 and HM-38 120mm Mortar and late game veteran improved con spam with DShK 38 and HM-38 120mm Mortars that can repair your ISU 152

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz

It's been awhile and I think I came up with an Ostheer Equivalent of the Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine for OKW.

Luftwaffe Combined Arms Doctrine
    Concept: The Luftwaffe served as the quintessential supporting arm of the Heer in providing much needed air support and maintaining supply lines. German Infantry and Armour elements are now capable of operating independently behind the lines and are fully capable of striking the enemy from any direction. Infantry squads can now be para-dropped into the battlefield. Essential medical equipment, supplies and man-portable armaments can also be delivered to support Heer elements in isolated areas. When an opening for an offensive presents itself, the full might of the Luftwaffe can be deployed at an instant.

[0CP] - Luftwaffe Medical Supply Crates
    Supply Planes can deliver 3 medical supply crates that inspire and heal all nearby infantry that capture it.
    [0CP] - Airborne Training
    Infantry squads and weapon teams can be called back by the Kampfgruppe HQ and will leave the battlefield. They can subsequently be para-dropped anywhere on the map.
    [3CP] - Luftwaffe Supply Drop
    Fuel and Munitions can be dropped at designated sectors.
    [4CP] - Luftwaffe Weapons Drop
    Two Raketenwerfers can be dropped anywhere on the map.
    [12CP] - Stuka 37mm Strafing Run
    JU-87D will strafe enemy armour with its 37mm autocannons.

The Changes

1. Medical Supply Crates
    - No change from current patch.

2. Airborne Training
    - 50MP/5F per paradrop. Para-drop ability available at Kampfgruppe HQ.
    - Uses same mechanics as Withdraw and Refit but for Infantry.
    - Infantry retreats out of the map via HQ sector and will be available for para-drop in 20 seconds.

3. Luftwaffe Supply Drop

4. Luftwaffe Weapons Drop
    - 70 munitions
    - Drops 2x Raketenwerfers without crewmen.

5. Stuka 37mm Strafing Run

This Commander is probably very unoptimized but nevertheless has an interesting approach to a new Ostheer Playstyle.

2 months ago
    edited October 2018

@SomeguyfromIdaho @MSAF_Unbekannt_15 Sorry it has taken me some time to reply to your posts. I was caught up in the Commander revamps for a while but, it looks like that's nearly finished. Then real life needed some attention so, I haven't been as active in the forums recently.

Overwhelming Firepower seems like a nice blend of Shock Motor Heavy and Defensive doctrines. Just don't let Commissar_Squad hear you suggesting SVT's for conscripts; he has a bug up his butt on that issue (among many others). I've had run-ins with him on other issues and my policy is to not respond to him at all.

Luftwaffe Combined Arms is an interesting twist. Para-dropping regular infantry units and teams would be a totally new concept for the game and quite difficult to counter if Pioneers are included. It would be a very disruptive doctrine. However, they would need to fix the Supply Drop such that it always entered the map from a base sector before I'd be willing to risk using it.

With the Revamp winding down, it shouldn't be too long before the official New Commander threads are posted. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's ideas when that happens. Based on what I've seen in the Revamp threads, there are sure to be some good ideas (in addition to the ones already posted on this thread) amongst all the arguments and off-topic posts.

Cheers.

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz

The Ostheer Luftwaffe Supply Drop in the current patch only drops munitions or fuel and it drops only in munitions or fuel sectors. It costs 200mp and delivers 150 munitions or 50 fuel within a span of 1 minute. It is by far the fastest way to stock up on either munitions or fuel, outclassing the Opel Blitz Cargo Trucks.

2 months ago

@MSAF_Unbekannt_15 It's not where the supplies drop that's the problem. It's where the plane enters the map that's the issue. My experience is that the planes enter the map from random sectors, meaning they sometimes enter over the enemy's base sector or a sector adjacent to the enemy's base.* Transport planes are very weak to ground fire so, if they come in anywhere near the enemy, they get shot down long before they drop their supplies.

The proper solution to this insane problem is to have all drops enter the map from a friendly base sector. This is consistent with the supply rules that most war-games follow and with the common sense idea that you don't fly transport planes over enemy territory for extended periods if you want them to reach the target. It's strange that the game developers chose random entry points in the first place; it makes no sense to me.

[*Bombing runs don't follow this rule; they enter according to the direction the player assigns. If a player assigns a flight path that runs directly over the enemy's base, he'll usually do it only once before realizing his mistake. Any player who does it repeatedly deserves to suffer the consequences.

Gliders are similar but, they fly loops around the map so, they often take flak no matter where you land them or what direction you choose. They do seem to be able to take the punishment better than transport planes though; I've yet to see a glider get shot down before it lands.]

2 months ago
    MSAF_Unbekannt_15MSAF_Unbe… Posts: 60
    edited October 2018

@PanzerFutz The German Supply Planes cannot get shot down. They are not entities in the game and only appear on the map. [Like USF and OKW Airborne Transport Planes]. And they also drop supplies extremely quickly [unlike Soviet and USF Supply Planes]. If I were to give you a comparison, The JU-52 that transports Medical Supplies and Resource Supplies in the game flies at the same speed as a JU-87 on a strafing run and cannot be shot down.

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz

OKW- Volkssturm

[0cp] Infantry suppport vehicles

SdKfz 251 Half-track can be deployed from Command HQ requires one deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ or Mechanized Reg. HQ)

Panzer 4 infantry support tank can be deployed from Command HQ requires two deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ and Mechanized Reg. HQ,Battlegroup HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ, or Mechanized Reg HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ)

Panzer 4 infantry support tank (use the Command panzer model) is anti infantry tank which fire sherman style HE shells and is incapable of dealing to armoured vehicles.

[2cp] Volkssturm

Veteran Pioneer Leader (60 munitions): Sturmpioneers gain an additional model and panzerfausts disallows "combat package"

Volk combat package (50 munitions): Volksgrenadiers gains immunity to Cold effects, and one Panzerschrek loses panzerfaust Disallows stgs

[2cp] For the Fatherland

Same as the Overwatch version

[4cp] OberJeager package

(90 munitions) Obersoldaten gain 4 G43s and Ambush camouflage

[13cp] Tiger PzKpfw VI

A ostheer Tiger 1 but with 5 star vet potential

2 months ago

@MSAF_Unbekannt_15 I wasn't aware that the Luftwaffe supply planes were different to US and Soviet planes so, thanks for the insight. It makes your Luftwaffe Combined Arms commander sound very appealing.

@SomeguyfromIdaho I like the Volkssturm idea. If it were up to me I would make one small change though. I would include a new unit called, wait for it,... Volkssturm.

The Volkssturm unit would be the German equivalent of Soviet Partisans. It would be a five man unit armed with 3 98k's, 2 MP40's, a Panzerfaust and demolition charges, capable of being deployed from any ambient building. They'd be weak but cheap, useful for recapturing points and destroying defenses behind enemy lines. They could also be used as an envelopment unit in support of a regular assault or as a sacrificial distraction unit to draw enemy forces away from another area.

The OKW doesn't have any infiltration units (unless you count Fallschirmjaegers) so, this would allow for some different type of play for this faction. I know that the Western Front armies don't really do infiltration but, the OKW should have one commander that provides for it. There was a suggestion on one of the threads for Brandenburgers, units that appeared dressed as enemy soldiers, and that is certainly something OB West employed. However, the Volkssturm is something a little more generic, widely employed in the defense of the Fatherland but generally known to be mostly ineffective. This unit fits that theme better.

Given that you named the doctrine after them, I think it's only fair to include a Volkssturm unit in this doctrine.

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz
    OKW- Volkssturm 1.1

SdKfz 251 Half-track can be deployed from Command HQ requires one deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ or Mechanized Reg. HQ)

Panzer 4 infantry support tank can be deployed from Command HQ requires two deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ and Mechanized Reg. HQ,Battlegroup HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ, or Mechanized Reg HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ)

Panzer 4 infantry support tank (use the Command panzer model) is anti infantry tank which fire sherman style HE shells and is incapable of dealing to armoured vehicles.

[2cp] Volkssturm

Volkssturm (200 Manpower) 5 model squad that can be deployed from ambient buildings equipped with mp-40s, AT satchels, and ambush camouflage can lay Riegel 43 AT mines

Role: ambush and harassment

Aesthetic note: use Partisan bodies with Volk heads.

[2cp] For the Fatherland

[2cp] Advanced Infantry Tactics

Veteran Pioneer Leader (60 munitions): Sturmpioneers gain an additional model and panzerfausts disallows "combat package"

Volk combat package (50 munitions): Volksgrenadiers gains immunity to Cold effects, and one Panzerschrek loses panzerfaust Disallows stgs

OberJeager package (90 munitions): Obersoldaten gain 4 G43s and Ambush camouflage disallows LMG34

[13cp] Tiger PzKpfw VI

2 months ago

@SomeguyfromIdaho The command point structure is now exactly what I imagined when I first read you earlier post.

Your Volssturm are very heavy AT infantry. I like it but, I think some other players would take issue with it. I can already imagine the complaining about an infiltration unit that has camouflage, AT satchels and Riegel mines. It's way more powerful than Soviet Partisan Tank Hunters. They're very lethal for such a cheap unit.

It also doesn't really give them any means to destroy supply caches or enemy defensive structures quickly, which I thought would be a prominent role for them. However, I don't really want to make another suggestion about how they should be armed because, it is your idea, after all.

I do like the Aesthetic note. I see them in civilian clothes with a helmet, too.

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz
    OKW- Volkssturm 1.2

[2cp] Volkssturm

Volkssturm (200 Manpower) 5 model squad that can be deployed from ambient buildings

armament: mp-40s

Abilities
    satchel charge (replaces AT satchel)
    ambush camouflage
    Riegel 43 AT mines

Role: ambush and harassment

Aesthetic note: use Partisan bodies with Volk heads.

[2cp] For the Fatherland

[2cp] Advanced Infantry Tactics

OberJeager package (90 munitions): Obersoldaten gain 4 G43s and Ambush camouflage disallows LMG34

[13cp] Tiger PzKpfw VI

2 months ago

@PanzerFutz
    Wehrmacht-Relentless Assault

(0cp) Assault Grenadiers (revamped)

Armament:
    1xSTG-44
    4xMP-40

Upgrades
    2xSTG-44 60 munitions (requires Battle Phase 1)
    2xSTG-44 60 munitions (requires Battle Phase 3)

Note: Assault Grenadier's STG-44 follow the Sturmpioneer profiles which are inferior to Panzergrenadiers STG

veterancy changes:
    "To the Last Man" copy of the SU penal version (replaces Medkits)

(0cp) OKW Vehicle support
    Panzer II Ausf. L 'Luchs' Light Tank can be built in the Kampfgruppe HQ (requires Battle Phase 1)
    SdKfz 251 "Stuka zu Fuß" Half-track can be built in the Kampfgruppe HQ (requires Battle Phase 2)
    Flammpanzer 38t "Hetzer" can be built in the Kampfgruppe HQ (requires Battle Phase 3)

(2cp) Command half-track kits
    SdKfz 251 Half-track can be upgrade with a Forward retreat point. While Forward retreat point is active the half track can not move until FRP is deactivated

(4cp) HEAT shells
    Tanks can now use the HEAT shells ability

(13cP) Tiger 1

2»