COMMANDER PROPOSALS OFFICIAL DISCUSSIONS THREAD

4 months ago
Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 250 admin

Please keep discussions of each other's proposals confined to this thread. You can reference the proposals/ sections of proposals you wish to discuss here.

Comments

4 months ago
    VegnaVegna Posts: 956

Do you have any rules on the new commanders?

4 months ago
    SomeguyfromIdahoSomeguyfr… Posts: 77
    edited January 14

@mrpeed I really like your commander, but I have some suggestions

OKW Infantry Assault Support Doctrine

Support your infantry pushes with assault weapons, halftracks, and command abilities.

old Slot 1 - MP40 Upgrade:

Upgrade, Volks are equipped with MP40s.

New Slot 1 - Veteran squad leaders
    Available at 2 cp
    Sturmpioneers gain an additional model and 5% increased movement speed

Volksgrenadiers gain an additional model and "Endsieg!" ability Squad will gain increased accuracy, rate of fire, and durability as the loses models (disallows stgs)

Reason for Change: firestorm already provides mp-40s for volks, VSLs fit well with Infantry heavy theme

Slot 2 - 251 Support Halftrack:

Ability, Calls in a 251 Halftrack which can reinforce, carry infantry, and drop medical crates.

old Slot 3 - Officer Command Squad:

Ability, Similar to the Soviet one. Calls in a squad that can boost infantries offense and defense capabilities.

New Slot 3 - Strumofficer
    buffed Strumofficer
    on death of the SO only the SO squad retreats
    can gain veterancy gains

reason for change: OKW already has a command squad it just needs to be buffed

Slot 4 - Recoup Loses:

Ability, old ability from Firestorm, but buffed in someway.

Slot 5 - To Victory or Death (or For The Fatherland?):

Ability, All infantry move faster and do more damage but can't retreat while the ability is active. Flares appear around capture points. Infantry will tire after the ability. All vehicles move faster.

4 months ago
    mrpeedmrpeed Posts: 22
    edited January 14

@SomeguyfromIdaho

Yes, buffing and/or changing the Strumofficer is another option, I would like it to have defense and offense oriented abilities like the Soviet one, and not cause squads to retreat. And veteran squad leaders are also another option, as long as it doesn't cause OKW infantry to over perform. My idea behind the MP40 was to have more frontline focused Volks that could reinforce and heal on the frontline as well. But glad you like the idea!

Another option would be Volkssturm call in infantry. 6 man low cost squad that is only okay in cover.

4 months ago
    PraazPraaz Posts: 2
    edited January 18

Wehrmacht

Italian Expeditionary Doctrine
    Combining the Italian Expeditionary Force units in Barbarossa, this commander seeks to rough defence and slowly advance to the enemy lines of battle. Using Italian Infantry squads as potential garrisons then push the enemy with Semovente 105/25.

Italian Expeditionary Squad

• Call in unit / available from 0CP
    • Costs 240 MP / 25 Reinforce Cost
    • 5 man, weak guns and low morale infantry squad
    • Has access to breda m37 once t1 is deployed
    • Can throw m24 grenades
    • Vet1 increased survivability vet2 weapon accuracy vet3 increased dmg

8mm Breda Heavy MG Squad

• Call in unit / available from 2CP
    • Costs 280 MP / 30 Reinforce cost
    • 4 man MG squad
    • Has access to heavy ammunitions once vet1
    • Vet1 heavy ammunitions Vet2 weapon accuracy Vet3 increased suppression

Poisoned Gas Attack

• Italian Air Force pilots drops gas shells over the enemy
    • Effects of gas is dangerous, enemy must leave the marked area
    • Gas blind enemy unit if affects, then slowly gives dmg

Hold the Ground! (PASSIVE)

• Infantry squads can go prone
    • When squads placed green cover, they got more survivability and accuracy then normal

Call in Semovente 105/25

• Call in unit / available from 10CP
    • Cost 620 MP / 200 Fuel
    • Self propelled gun
    • Good against placements, infantry
    4 months ago

@Praaz

It needs to use only existing units and abilities.

4 months ago
    PraazPraaz Posts: 2

@Vegna Italian infantry can be modelled. Semovente too. Gas attack looks like American smoke bombs.

4 months ago

@Praaz said:
    @Vegna Italian infantry can be modelled. Semovente too. Gas attack looks like American smoke bombs.

Anything can be modeled, however the Devs have said the are only adding new commanders with existing units and abilities. Basically if it's not in the game now, it wont be added.

4 months ago

I've already posted this commanders in correct discussion, but due to the lack feedback i'm posting posting here as well. Please give me your feedback

OKW: VOLKSSTURM

Infantry support vehicles (0CP)

SdKfz 251 Half-track

deployed from Command HQ requires one deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ or Mechanized Reg. HQ)
    200 MP 30FL
    can be upgraded with Flame projector

Panzer 4 infantry support tank

deployed from Command HQ requires two deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ and Mechanized Reg. HQ,Battlegroup HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ, or Mechanized Reg HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ)
    300MP 100FL
    Panzer 4 infantry support tank (use the Command panzer model) is anti infantry tank which fire sherman style HE shells. This unit is very effective against infantry, but is incapable of dealing damage to armoured vehicles.

Volkssturm (1CP)

(200 Manpower)
    deployed from ambient buildings
    5 model squad armed with mp-40s
    upgrade: panzerschreck X1 (50 munitions)
    Abilities satchel charge, ambush camouflage, and Riegel 43 AT mines
    Role: ambush, harassment, Mine laying
    Aesthetic note: use Partisan bodies with Volk heads.

Advanced Infantry Tactics (2CP)

(unit upgrade) Veteran Pioneer Leader (60 muntions):
    Sturmpioneers gain an additional model disallows combat package and minesweeper

Ambush Camouflage (30 munitions) becomes available for Volksgrenadiers, HMG-34, and Obersoldaten

Ensieg! (6CP)

Global ability
    50 munitions
    all infantry units gain -20% received accuracy and -20% weapon cool down
    duration 60 seconds

Tiger PzKpfw VI (13CP)

4 months ago

I've already posted this commanders in correct discussion, but due to the lack feedback i'm posting posting here as well. Please give me your feedback

Wehrmacht- OberKommado East

Theme: since OKW and ostheer is just Germany on different fronts its safe for them to borrow stuff from each other

[OCP] OKW Motor pool

IR half track can be built at Infanterie Komp.

Panzer II Ausf. L 'Luchs' Light Tank can be built at Leichte Mechanized Komp.

Flammpanzer 38t "Hetzer" can be built at Support Armor Korps

Note: Max vet is 3 so unit cost may need Adjustment

[0cp] Pioneer munition salvage kits

Pioneers can salvage resources, but gains munitions instead of fuel

(Passive)

[2cp] OberGrenadiers

copy of OKW's Obersoldaten with some changes (340MP)

LMG-34 available at battle phase 3

veterancy:

vet 1: Unlocks the 'Blendkörper 2H Frangible Smoke Grenade' ability

vet 2: +40% accuracy, -25% weapon cooldown

vet 3: -29% received accuracy, squad size increase by 1

[5CP] HEAT Rounds
    same a the elite armor version

[15CP] Tiger B 'Königstiger'

Note: Max vet is 3 so unit cost may need Adjustment

I'm unsure about the King tiger im thinking about replacing it with a command panther or panzer commander

4 months ago
    WilhelmIXWilhelmIX Posts: 17

@SomeguyfromIdaho said:

OKW: VOLKSSTURM

Infantry support vehicles (0CP)

SdKfz 251 Half-track

deployed from Command HQ requires one deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ or Mechanized Reg. HQ)
    200 MP 30FL
    can be upgraded with Flame projector

Panzer 4 infantry support tank

deployed from Command HQ requires two deployed half track (Battlegroup HQ and Mechanized Reg. HQ,Battlegroup HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ, or Mechanized Reg HQ and Schwerer Panzer HQ)
    300MP 100FL
    Panzer 4 infantry support tank (use the Command panzer model) is anti infantry tank which fire sherman style HE shells. This unit is very effective against infantry, but is incapable of dealing damage to armoured vehicles.

Volkssturm (1CP)

(200 Manpower)
    deployed from ambient buildings
    5 model squad armed with mp-40s
    upgrade: panzerschreck X1 (50 munitions)
    Abilities satchel charge, ambush camouflage, and Riegel 43 AT mines
    Role: ambush, harassment, Mine laying
    Aesthetic note: use Partisan bodies with Volk heads.

Advanced Infantry Tactics (2CP)

(unit upgrade) Veteran Pioneer Leader (60 muntions):
    Sturmpioneers gain an additional model disallows combat package and minesweeper

Ambush Camouflage (30 munitions) becomes available for Volksgrenadiers, HMG-34, and Obersoldaten

Ensieg! (6CP)

Global ability
    50 munitions
    all infantry units gain -20% received accuracy and -20% weapon cool down
    duration 60 seconds

Tiger PzKpfw VI (13CP)

I mean, idea for the commander with the volksturm is really good, but cmon, this 200 mp volksturm is absolutely OP...
    Just take a look at the soviet partisans, those dudes are 4 man 240 mp (?) squad with incredible high reinforce cost, meanwhile volksturm is anti-everything cheap infantry with the camouflage, mines (riegels!!!) and satchels.

Also, 5th man on the pioneers also doesn't look good, they shouldn't be 5 man shock infantry. Not sure why "volksturm" commander buffs those guys.

Ambush camouflage is great idea though!

Also I feel like this commander is too much vehicle-focused, I mean, it isn't "OKW armored division" or something. (But I love that p4 idea!)

"Ensieg" ability also looks good.

My suggestions:
    for the love of JLI's, change this volksturm, remove panzerschreck from them, reduce to the 4 man (there is a reason why you can spawn only 4 man squads from the buildings), increase their cost, change riegels to the schu-mines.

Reduce the amount of the vehicles and add more infantry focused abilities

• Thorough Salvage
      It would fit the volksturm really nice

• Infiltration Tactics
      It would be great for the volksturm (and other camouflaged units) with their camo

• Radio silence (?)

I hope you don't feel bad for my critical opinion x)
    Have a good day,

4 months ago
    YappirYappir Posts: 42

Dear fellow players.
    I can see that we are all excited and i everyone is typing his idea what could be a next new fresh doctrine that reinvent thier favorite faction gameplay. We have only few days left before closing oportunity to sugest new doctrines.

I can see however that many of you could use friendly advice.
    First of all i would like to say that units new should not be seen as phisical things in game but as choices. If i get an acces to new type of unit I have a chocie to invest in it or invest in difrent untis.

The shortest and best example what there is to understand is idea of "Fresh consripts squad" by @BanaGangsta in his idea for soviet comander.

Lets say that the game puts in in choice betwen buying regular concsripts or fresh conscripts in the begening of the game.

Here is a discription on "Frensh cons" from @BanaGangsta doctrine.

Slot 1: Fresh Conscript Squad

Refer to the free level 1 conscript squad from campaign mode
    6 man squad, same mod as Conscript Infantry Squad
    Call-in unit, available from 0CP.
    Costs 120 MP, 12 Mp reinforce cost
    Half combat efficiency of Conscript Infantry Squad
    Cannot use Molotov and Anti-tank grenade

Regular conscripts already strugle to put up a fight with most of the german units. We all seen them melt fighting sturmpio. So having unit that is even worst and worst by 50% renders any of its combat potential useless. Regular pioniers could be capable to munch them down.

Even if we manage to get into interesting places with your fresh cons they are unable to support anybody. Regular concsripts are capable to trow a monolotov at somebody or AT grenades at vehicles that may cripple them if well played.

Also regular concsripts can get PPSHes what improves thier efficency and allow us to spend ammo on somethng that benefits us.

The only useful thing freshmen could do is capture huge maps quickly as we can buy more of them and take more points. But engineirs cost only 50 more and are able to place mines, wires or be improved with flamers or mine detectors

So we come into conclusion that no matter what is the sicuation the choice is always the same. It is better to have conscripts them freshmen. So then is such a choice even a chocie? Where one option is simply not worth taking into account .

If you look on units in company of heroes, they are all completely difrent. Even if they fill the same role they are completely difrent. Make same analisys but not with fresh constripts but pental troops. They are both valid choices with difrent strength and weaknesses and perspectives what they will do in early stages of the game and what is thier perspective on late stages of the game. One is more expensive by 20% but is not 20% better then the other!

Company of heroes have orthogonal unit differentiation!

That menas thateach unit has completly uniqe atributes.

If you want to add a unit to the game you have to give it its uniqe atributes and role to fill. If we end up by giving a player a choice that do not benefit his startegy options, it is pointless to give it to him. Like for example giving a option to buy Tiger I in OKW faction.

4 months ago
    WilhelmIXWilhelmIX Posts: 17

@Yappir said:

Wow, finally someone said it :D
    I agree with you in 100%
    grab my like! ))

4 months ago

Hey guys,
    I completely agree with you Yappir, though having an early call in unit at the beginning of game can get you capping faster than training engineers (call ins require no build time), which you mentioned already. What I wanted to discuss was the usefulness of fresh conscripts to be used to reinforce with and merge with existing squads of higher durability, like the regular conscripts, Shock Troops and Penal Battalions. The only problem with this is I don't know how the merge ability works with respect to durability; whether the merging conscripts gain the durability of Shock Troops and Penal Battalions after they merge. This is an unknown for me and I would like to hear if anyone knows the answer to this for sure. They do pick up the weapons of the squad they are merging with. If they do gain that durability then this would be the strength of a unit like this. It is so cheap you could send it off and merge it with your squads at frontlines to support them or have one squad at base that you can use to merge with your troops who have retreated back to base. This would save on manpower since calling in these fresh conscript squads costs such little manpower and also the reinforcement cost for these squads is very cheap (in the case you didn't use all 6 members for a merge). At such a low cost that wouldn't matter so much. This is one feature that was amazing in campaign, yet I didn't see it anywhere in multiplayer. It's such an amazing feature that I feel it's a shame that it isn't used in multiplayer. So that everyone is clear, if it was used in multiplayer it wouldn't behave so much like in single player: In single player there were off-map call in locations (the Xs you see on the map typically near your base in multiplayer) close to the frontlines. This made it so the call in ability would
    already have the conscript squad close to the front and made this ability much more useful than it would be in multiplayer. But I still think it's viable, since your troops could just move back a bit and meet the fresh conscript squad, or you could keep them close to the front ready to perform their duty of rushing in and bolstering squad numbers. Maybe, if durability isn't inherited, just a regular conscripts call in ability could be useful, since you could train one and call one in at the same time. Love to hear your thoughts. This is one amazing feature I enjoyed in single player and was disappointed that it wasn't utilised in multiplyer.

Co-incidentally, the ability of early call in is what makes Assault Engineers so useful on maps that require you to capture a lot of points or if you want to get to VP early to inflict some early bleed of VP tickers. Crazy enough, if you rush and hold 1 VP out of 3, it starts inflicting bleed already. I think there should be grace period where VP bleed cannot be inflicted, because it's so stupid/inefficient to run past another point, between base and the VP, to cap a VP early and inflict ticker bleed. Why I wanted to mention Assault Engineers is that they were called "Super Assault Engineers" here:
    http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2019/01/10/new-commander-update-submissions-process
    and I fear they are going to get ruined. They are perfect! They are just riflemen (same cost and durability it seems) who have submachine guns, and yes they can repair stuff and other useful abilities, but guess what? No frags! Yes, you don't exactly need frags when you have a flamethrower but at long range, these units are getting picked off very well by grenadiers. Why don't they instead just make the call in ability start on recharge so you can't call them in immediately? This was also something I thought about with my Penal Scouts call in ability for my Soviet commander proposal. Penal Scouts, with their fast movement, could rush a VP very quickly and inflict ticker bleed extremely fast. They could even capture 2 VPs, one after the other, immediately (at beginning of game) and at low cost. This is subject to abuse, and the solution I came up with is that the ability should automatically start on recharge, to prevent abuse like this.

Love to hear more discussion on this, thank you.

4 months ago
    PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 345

Anyone who feels the need to see the contexts and rationales of my suggestions, please feel free to browse these 2 threads:

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/245166/new-commander-thoughts/p1

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/245229/new-commander-ideas/p1

There are plenty of other people's good ideas in these threads also. Cheers.

4 months ago

@PanzerFutz
    Non of your sugestion do not meet requierments set by the developers. You gotta talk a bit about your idea not just dump it.

4 months ago
    PanzerFutzPanzerFutz Melbourne, OzPosts: 345

@Yappir As far as I can tell, this is the only guideline I've violated:

"Each player can submit one proposal per faction."

It's pretty obvious I'm not the only player to have submitted more than one suggestion per faction. My suggestions don't take up much space so, I feel comfortable submitting more than one.

As for talking about my ideas, I've done plenty of that already on the other threads I posted. I am not going to waste my time reposting those thoughts, especially when I know the chances of seeing any of my ideas being used are very slim.

I'm happy to discuss any ideas with any player who is reasonable and courteous. I just don't want to waste my time having endless discussions with players who don't actually understand the guidelines or haven't even read them.

In my opinion, most of my suggestions are self-explanatory but, if people wish to discuss them, then this is the appropriate thread for those exchanges. Cheers.

4 months ago

@PanzerFutz
    Oh crap i missed the fact that i can do one proposal perf faction!
    Now i have to remove 3 of my sugestions becouse i sugested 2 per faction!
    thanks for pointing that out!

3 months ago
    Texas_RedTexas_Red Posts: 3
    edited January 25

# OKW Hinterhalt (Ambush) Tactics Doctrine

This is my take on the commander proposal contest that I already posted in the forums but wanted to ask y'all s opinions on it. Is it good? Unbalanced? Not Enough? PS I'm trying to follow their guidelines of no new models or overtly wacky things.

Theme: Use advance ambush tactics, captured equipment, and light vehicles to hold out until an armor breakthrough.

Unit and Ability Roster

1 CP: Ambush Training
    * Identical to the Ostheer Version
    * Infantry are able to sprint for a short amount of time
    * Camouflage upgrade available for Sturmpioneers, Volksgrenadiers, and HMGs

4 CP: SdKfz 251 Resupply Halftrack
    * Call in unit, same as Ostheer Version
    * Cost could be the same of 200 manpower 30 fuel (or more expensive as they would be rarer?)
    * No Flamethrower upgrade
    * Can carry and reinforce nearby units and deploy captured allied weapons for munitions (similar to the British Resupply Halftrack)
    * 50 Munitions for either a Bren, BAR, or DP and 60 for Bazooka or PTRS rifle (50/50 chance)
    * Same 1-3 Veterancy as Ostheer
    * If Relic wants to add OKW Vet- Vet 4: Halftrack comes with medics that passively heal nearby units, Vet 5: Can Place Riegel 43 Mines for 50 muni
    * Optional Idea for Relic**** Command Upgrade for 120 Manpower and 10 Fuel: HT becomes a Command halftrack that can't carry units anymore but gives a passive accuracy buff to nearby infantry units and reload speed buff for support weapons (same as Sturm Officer buff)

5 CP: Hull Down/Camouflage Netting
    * Identical to Ostheer
    * Sturmpioneers and Volksgrenadiers can Hull Down light/medium/heavy armor to be stationary for buffs
    * Hull Down is available for Luchs/Puma/FlakTrak/Resupply HT/PZ4/Jagpanzer 4/Panther/KingTiger (maybe Infared HT/Stuke HT/ and Kubelwagen just for fun)
    * Hull Down damage received buff for light vehicles should be just enough that they shouldn't be receiving much, if at all, damage from small arms
    * ALTERNATIVE Instead of a hull down, how about a Camouflage Netting upgrade/ability for vehicles that allows them go invisible when stationary (similar to Vet JagPanzer) until they fire a weapon or the enemy gets close enough

6 CP: Valiant Assault/For the Fatherland
    * Either VA or FtF works as an infantry boost for this doctrine
    * OR if Relic wants to make this slot unique have a Valiant Assault style infantry boost as flares go up in front line territories (similar to Brits Royal Arty "Early Warning") BUT honestly either VA/FtF would work just fine for this slot and there isn't much of a point to over-complicate things

8-10? CP: Beutepanzer Support
    * Call-in unit, random tank either being a M4A3, T34-76, or Cromwell with OKW markings
    * 1/3 Chance for either tank
    * Sherman can't decrew
    * Native upgrades and abilities are available (pin .50 for Sherman and Tank Commander for Cromwell)
    * Price should be around 320 Manpower 110 Fuel (Reason: this call in would be a gamble of either overpaying 20 manpower and 20 fuel for a T34, saving 20 manpower for a Sherman, or saving 20 manpower and 10 fuel for a Cromwell)
    * For balance reasons give it a penalty to repair speed (it takes longer to repair this unit contrary to its allied counterpart) and is deployed damaged with 75% of its health
    * CP cost is unclear because I want the Beutepanzer to be a stop gap call in and want it available around the time armor would be rolling out for either side in a contested game.
    * Vet 1-3: Same as Allied Counterpart
    * If Relic wants to add OKW Vet- Vet 4: Repair speed penalty removed. Vet 5: Passive Radio silence (unit is not detected on the mini map until it fires its weapons)
    * Panzer HQ must be built to call in this ability armor but the HQ doesn't have to be alive to be able to be used

Strategies and Rational:
    This doctrine was fashioned to be somewhere between a comeback doctrine (like Mobile Defense, Reserve Army, Luftwaffe GF {to an extent}) and a doctrine that changes the play style of the faction and a thematic doctrine of "Captured Equipment" that many players want to see.

• Ambush tactics would give OKW more say on when they want to engage. You could set ambushes with your infantry and mgs or have one of your camoflauge infantry as a foward scout/flanker.

• The halftrak would server as a utility vehicle to keep an offensive infantry push or as an alternative to the battlegroup HQ if it gets destroyed/the player decides to go Mechanized HQ and if the player vets up the HT enough it would effectively be a replacement for the Battlegroup but that HQ still has its reason to be built (foward rally, more health, KT access) and if the player decides to get the command upgrade they would need to be careful of not letting it die for it would be an investment that pays out over time. The weapon supply would be an interesting decision for the OKW player because 1 allied weapon is cheaper than the Volks 2x Sturm upgrade but 2 allied weapons would be about 50% more expensive and you cant have both. This weapon supply would work as a fill in the gaps ability as well as a team support ability. If the player has 3 Volks and give all of them 1 captured weapon they would save 30 munitions enough for a mine, grenade, or another ability.

• Hull Down is a good ability that is underused, and in the hands of the OKW it would allow light vehicles transition into late game and still have a use, Luchs could be used to hull down on flanks and act as a makeshift canon emplacement, Pumas would be able to hold out longer, medium and heavy armor would be harder to dislodge when set up in good positions which something that the OKW suffer from is that its great at taking positions but struggle at holding and thatch where hull down would help. Note the hull down for light vehicles should be just enough that infantry weapons would do very little to at all damage to it and would require armor or dedicated AT to dislodge it-Both Valiant Assault/For the Fatherland functionally and thematically fit into this doctrine only difference is that VA is useful for attacking and defending while FtF only works in friendly territory. Either one works for this doc with VA having the edge for versatility but FtF fits the “desperate defense” theme

• Beutepanzer Support: this is what people want, captured tanks for the Germans. The CP cost should around time medium armor starts rolling out. The idea behind it is as a comeback if your fuel position isnt as good as your opponent who already has armor rolling out or in horrible situation that your Schwere Panzer HQ gets destroyed. Its more to cushion the blow than being a straight alternative. To counterbalance its cost and randomness in what tank you get there should be a repair nerf that makes it take it longer to get repaired (reasonably German engineers wouldn't be familiar with Allied equipment) and when it deployed it wouldn’t be at full health to discourage people from spamming them and rushing into battle. The reason why I chose this tanks specifically because they are base units that the Allied factions use because I feel it would be unfair for the Allies if the OKW can produce their special doctrine tanks.

The utility that this doctrine provides would be useful as a comeback from bad situations but you would be punished by the fact that taking this doctrine you are losing access to Call In Super Heavy tanks, off map arty/air support and conventional recon. This doctrine thematically would resemble late war German tactics of waiting in ambushes to surprise enemies as well as hunkering down armor and AT guns. I also wanted it to be Relic friendly because nothing in this doctrine “requires” new models. Everything is in the base game and shares the mechanics of other units.