How to play aggressive in 1v1 as SU and how to build a defense line?

2 months ago

I play about 80 hours vs CPU, now I start to PvP as SU. And I am getting destroyed every-time.

I am well aware the PvP is much different animal than PvE. Here is my issue.

I usually start as Support Weapon Kampaneya, using MG, cons, Engineers and 120mm mortar from command skill pushing to middle of map, may be hold two or one VC point until around 8~10 mins, since then I don't know what should I build next. I played several match and realized at this point, I struggled to mindless building more con and micro manage my troops badly. I cared so much just hold the VC point and have "no time" established a effective defense, push forward or to build something new to breakthrough until too late when Axis used powerful latter game tech destroy me.

In 2v2 or more, I can calm myself down and start to land mine or consider what should I do next since I have time mate to cooperate. But I 1v1, your every build decision count and easily screw by bad decision such as ineffective attack, panic retreated or wrong time arm build.

I know depending on what commander and faction of my opponents, there is no universal measure to counter. But is there some general principle I can learn at around 8 mins mark to advance my PvP skill especially 1v1?

Comments

2 months ago
    SlayerSlayer Posts: 118

Hi CHNimitz, first of all: I'm not an expert in 1v1, I usually play teamgames with Soviets. In my opinion Soviets shine most in combination with UKF and/or USF.

But here are a few tips, maybe you already know them, maybe not:

1) Economy > VP
    First make sure that your income is steady and high: cap at least your fuel and your ammo, and if you can, go for one of the fuel-/ammo-points of your opponent. Better bleed and have a good economy then the other way around (don't lose all VPs because then bleed is too fast to recover usually): this means you can start building tanks soon enough and then you can drive the opponent off the VPs. If you have excess manpower build caches (but in 1v1 often enough you can't afford it really because you rather want to tech up).

2) Build order
    You say you start with MG, good choice against OKW. If against Ostheer, you might want to consider starting with penals: they have 6 men vs the Ost 4 man squads, they usually win early game. This makes the opponent bleed manpower and slows his teching.

3) What to build midgame
    If you don't have guards midgame (guards outclass cons on all points, but keep at least 1 con near for merging), then after MG, mortar and AT gun (always build one against axis vehicles, even if you haven't seen them yet - also, place mines and more mines: Soviet mines are cheapest) you should go for T70, and after you build the last building aim for T34. T70 is an assassin, just chase infantry with it, beware of the panzerfaust so don't dive in too deep and keep an engineer close for repairs if it gets hit anyway. It survives the faustshot but will lose it's mobility, so beware. It kills of infantry like flies though. T34 is the cheapest medium tank in the game and if you build 2 or 3 of them, you can rush an OKW forward base, or you can bleed manpower big time because T34 is also good vs infantry. If your T70 is still alive, sne dit alongside the T34s and the Germans will be out of soldiers very soon. Agaist tanks the T34 is not that great, that's why you need 3 preferably: three shots cripple any tank.

Good luck! Za rodinu!

2 months ago
    120mm is not a cost-efficient unit in 1v1 game. It cost too much Manpower and Population Cap while you can not find enough targets for it.
    2 months ago
    CHNimitzCHNimitz Posts: 3

@Slayer said:
    Hi CHNimitz, first of all: I'm not an expert in 1v1, I usually play teamgames with Soviets. In my opinion Soviets shine most in combination with UKF and/or USF.

But here are a few tips, maybe you already know them, maybe not:

1) Economy > VP
    First make sure that your income is steady and high: cap at least your fuel and your ammo, and if you can, go for one of the fuel-/ammo-points of your opponent. Better bleed and have a good economy then the other way around (don't lose all VPs because then bleed is too fast to recover usually): this means you can start building tanks soon enough and then you can drive the opponent off the VPs. If you have excess manpower build caches (but in 1v1 often enough you can't afford it really because you rather want to tech up).

2) Build order
    You say you start with MG, good choice against OKW. If against Ostheer, you might want to consider starting with penals: they have 6 men vs the Ost 4 man squads, they usually win early game. This makes the opponent bleed manpower and slows his teching.

3) What to build midgame
    If you don't have guards midgame (guards outclass cons on all points, but keep at least 1 con near for merging), then after MG, mortar and AT gun (always build one against axis vehicles, even if you haven't seen them yet - also, place mines and more mines: Soviet mines are cheapest) you should go for T70, and after you build the last building aim for T34. T70 is an assassin, just chase infantry with it, beware of the panzerfaust so don't dive in too deep and keep an engineer close for repairs if it gets hit anyway. It survives the faustshot but will lose it's mobility, so beware. It kills of infantry like flies though. T34 is the cheapest medium tank in the game and if you build 2 or 3 of them, you can rush an OKW forward base, or you can bleed manpower big time because T34 is also good vs infantry. If your T70 is still alive, sne dit alongside the T34s and the Germans will be out of soldiers very soon. Agaist tanks the T34 is not that great, that's why you need 3 preferably: three shots cripple any tank.

Good luck! Za rodinu!

Thank you for tips, I think I need practice more and then figuring out what next I can improve.

2 months ago
    CHNimitzCHNimitz Posts: 3

@addvaluejack said:
    120mm is not a cost-efficient unit in 1v1 game. It cost too much Manpower and Population Cap while you can not find enough targets for it.

I never thought about the cost cost-efficient angle, I would try other army combination in the future.