[OKW] [ALL] Sturm Offizier Reworked Suggestion

3 months ago

A while ago, I proposed a buff to the Sturm Offizier, but since discussing it with others, I believe I have a better solution to make the Offizier a unit that is much more rewarding to use. Thanks to @SkysTheLimit and @Vipper for some suggestions!

Problem

The Sturm Offizier is too passive of a unit, and has abilities that while useful, are very circumstantial and promotes blobbing/passive play.

Solution

Remove the aura buff of the Sturm Offizier and force retreat. The aura encourages blobbing and passive play, and retreating an enemy squad is almost never useful as its better to kill a squad. Add a directed ability to temporarily buff a single squad for a small number of munitions, similar to the Commisar's ability. Tie the cooldown to the ability that targets an enemy squad do avoid being too powerful vs a squad. To better let the Offizier deal with a variety of situations, he should also get a calldown of 105mm artillery for a decent amount of munitions. This is similar to the Majors ability. Finally, his tier 3 veterancy should be changed as he no longer has the aura, to unlocking a smoke mortar barrage.

I believe these changes will make the Sturm Offizier much more valuable and useful of a unit, giving players an actual skill ceiling with useful abilities to his use rather than a passive buff to throw behind your army and forget about.

Relic, please consider my suggestion to bring this unit to its full glory.

Comments

3 months ago
    ReichsgardeReichsgar… Bad Tolz, Bayern, GermanyPosts: 121
    In my opinion, the most pressing issue with the Sturmoffizier is that it has no veterancy. This unit needs a serious rework. It basically needs to perform like an infantry-version of the Command Panther i.e. carries many infantry-enhancing buffs that improve with higher vet levels.

In addition, it makes very little sense for the Sturmoffizier to have a penalty when the officer unit model dies. Let's look at the Commissar Squad for the Soviets. Why don't the Soviet troops retreat when the Commissar dies?

In conclusion, this unit needs 5 levels of veterancy and needs to have the above penalty removed.
    3 months ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,790
    Commisar squad grants targeted buffs WITH drawbacks to single squads at a time. The sturm officer is referred to as the blob officer, because it's design promotes blobbing on one of the already most effecient blob squad in the game.

AOE aura needs to come with a drawback--brit command tank has debuff, Ost command tank has a derp gun, command panther.... Well it at least needs vet.

I would love for the officer to be more ACTIVE in micro demand and vet than be literally a walking blob modifier. Look at the improvement that the field Artillery officers vet brought. The blob officer could do the same.
    3 months ago
    freejones12freejones… Posts: 51

Yup, all these are great ideas. The Sturm Offizier really is a baffling unit. I'd like to see a major rework in the future.

3 months ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 6,592

For it to receive vet which would also improve its abilities it absolutely needs to lose permanently on aura and it would have to be either single squad buff, like commie or timed ability, like arty officer, obviously both with a cost.

3 months ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… Posts: 2,268
    edited March 9
    > @Reichsgarde said:
    > In addition, it makes very little sense for the Sturmoffizier to have a penalty when the officer unit model dies. Let's look at the Commissar Squad for the Soviets. Why don't the Soviet troops retreat when the Commissar dies?

Have you ever played with NKVD tactics? Do you even know how the unit works or are you only familiar with the German side of the game?
    _____

A barrage of some kind besides the propaganda would be cool. And the support abilities should be a-la the commissar, offensive/defensive bonuses for one squad. The aura is a must-go of course, but the retreat penalty goes with it
    3 months ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,790
    Vet 5 could return the aura, maybe as a timed ability or something but outside that it should go. Its a shame to have units in the vet 5 army not able to get any vet at all.
    3 months ago

@thedarkarmadillo nah the aura buff is stupid and promotes a bad playstyle of blobbing units. Plus, thats borderline overpowered by that point. I just want the unit to be more useful for someone who is good at managing individual units. To be able to assign who he is buffing temporarily or use actually useful combat abilities is a needed change. I bet I could count the number of times Force Retreat has been used across all games ever on only two hands.