Making the US rear echelon squads useful

2 months ago
lordpeter3lordpeter3 Posts: 347
edited May 12 in General Discussion

Dear all,

Do you also have this feeling that rear echelons squads are one of the most useless units in the game? They are not needed to build buildings, have no flametrower are not essentioal to repair USF vehicles and overall perform wors than pioneers for the same costs.

It would be great if they would recieve some love and where made in an actual usefull unit just like its counterpart in all other factions. Maybe a fancy weapon upgrade, an improvement in stats (more firepower would be great) or an advances repair upgrade to let it stand out from vehicle crews when repairing tanks.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

2 months ago
    38Lightning38Lightni… Posts: 511
    Idk but they need something.
    They dont even get used for smoke typically use a captain and or lieutenant for that possibly major.

Fighting position is weak as it can be destroyed by small arms fire and or machine guns even a simple fire grenade nearly destroys it by itself meaning you dont have a fighting position to come back to unlike bunker which takes bazooka to take out or demolition charge or at guns etcetra for only 25mp more and can have a machine gun crew placed inside it without needing a machine gun upgrade makes it very difficult to get use out of rifle grenades a rear echelons gets inside a fighting position when a simple mg gun can outrange your rifle grenades with extra sight from a pioneer squad or inside a building.

Mines are negligable as the slow effect wears off very quickly.

Tank traps the only good thing they have.
    2 months ago

Indeed! Maybe some extra sightrang for starters and maybe a fast repair upgrade?

2 months ago
    C3ToothC3Tooth Posts: 852
    edited April 29

Rear & Sapper have lower utility because they have more supreme power than Pion.

As in, able to 5men with double Bar/Bren and still able to get sweeper.
    Pion, always 4men, either get sweeper or Flame

The one far inferior in utility while has equal fire power than Pion is CombatEng.

Beside, USF vehicle can repair itself without requires 10 popcap Engineer squads, it will be always a biggest advantage for USF.

2 months ago
    edited April 30
    I dont see rear&sappers haveing supreme power at all. Perhaps in a straight up fight but now put your guys in cover or in a building and see what happens.
    They each have their own strength but even rear echelons would need more than 1 bar vs a flame meaning higher cost not that I would want to put bars on a rear echelon to begin with.

As far as usf being able to pop out and repair ya that is nice but also an even larger array of units in the game can easily pen their low armor and bounce shots so they need to repair more often to begin with which just ends up makeing vehicle crews more of a necessity than a boon to their faction.

Plus right now I would not even be able to afford haveing more than 1 rear echelon on the field as haveing not enough rifleman would be a death sentence.
    Not that I dont bleed tons of manpower in the late game anyway...

Heck I would just like to see the fighting position better utilized that alone would help usf hold onto territory if it was not so easily countered by oh idk hmg spam from whermacht.
    I was not so bad when it did not have to contend with fire grenades but now you do. Then you have to deal with hmg outrangeing it so it is just fallen into a bad spot and more then likely it is a waste of manpower since even small arms fire from sturmpioneer can obliterate it befor you can return to the location.
    1 month ago

Agreed, vanilla Echelons could really use a buff and some beter combat role.

1 month ago

+2 Bar on Rear

1 month ago
    dmsdms UKPosts: 533

At least fix volly-fire or replace it with something that works. It is useless, every time I try it I end up losing 2 models by the time it starts to do anything and is then too late.

1 month ago
    edited May 14
    @dms the best I could do with volley fire is early game already inside a fighting position and hit volks to prevent them from getting in close with fire grenade and even that is iffy as they crawl to you and hopefully dont have a second volks.

Almost a waste of time trying this strategy though I normally get burnt out anyway retreat and sturmpioneers gun down the rest of the hp of my fighting position wasteing 125mp I could have put towards upgrades instead.

Or whermacht just spam 3 hmg against my fighting positions seems to work as well so I cant defend against that either as rifle grenades dont reach them allowing me no point to fall back to and set up a mortar or even give me room to flank any of them as they are able to easily reposition themselves and so are not forced to upgrade to get their support weapons or a sniper.

Most the time at that point my best bet is to just leave the hmg be and leave that area to cap someplace els and let them have it which is typically the fuel point.

If I do go back I can expect to see bunker and panzergrenadiers with and without shrecks and soon to be panzer or ostwin on the way out once they hit phase 2 more often then not it is the ostwin since best I can do is either an at gun or a stuart by this point.
    1 month ago

For me, Rear volley was designed to stop Sturm from rushing close, while Riflemen shooting at afar. Having a M1919 and they will pin a squad immediately. The ability is ammo lusting, the more ammo you put on Rear, the more effectiveness volley is.

1 month ago
    edited May 14
    Still dont help in the early game then.
    At that point I'm better off upgrading grenades and throwing smoke in front of volks to split up their firepower and focus solely on the sturm pioneer with my rear echelon and rifleman squad before they get to close to out dps both of them.

Might as well make the echelon stronger up front and move the volley fire to vet 1 since it is no good until you get upgrades anyway.
    1 month ago

I might say give them Volley fire unlocked once they have auto weapon (a Bar, M1919, LMG34-42 ect), and have cheaper price, like 12ammo.

1 month ago
    Ya that would not be bad.
    Around the same price as smoke grenades.
    I could live with unlock upon getting weapon upgrades since it makes more sense than now.