New Community Manager: JohnT_RE

1 week ago
Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 299 admin

Hey everyone,

I’m really pleased to introduce JohnT_RE, the new Community Manager for the Company of Heroes Franchise!

John will be the main CoH spokesperson, and general point of contact moving forward. We’re excited to have him aboard, and it will be great for the community to have a dedicated CM once again. Give him a warm welcome!

Now a few words from the man himself.

Comments

1 week ago
    JohnT_REJohnT_RE CanadaPosts: 9 admin

Hey everyone,

I’m incredibly excited to join the Relic team and to jump into this role. I know I have some big shoes to fill! The COH community is really stellar and I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Some info on me… I have a background in public relations / communications and have been a huge PC fan since my parents brought home a Commodore 64 when I was a kid. AoE2 and Brood War were my RTS games of choice growing up and I’ve been obsessively playing COH2 for the last while.

Personally, I like to spend my days cycling, walking my dog and drinking too much coffee. I also served as a reservist in the Canadian infantry from 2001-2009 and have a fondness for military history and movies.

You’ll be hearing more from me in the days ahead!

1 week ago

Welcome John!

1 week ago
    ComradComrad Posts: 126

Everything will be as usual: who would not represent the developers-only 10 close friends will listen for updates ignoring the suggestions of usually people ?_?

1 week ago
    dukejasondukejason Posts: 1,421 mod
    edited February 24

Welcome to the jungle:

Welcome John.

1 week ago
    ElpernElpern SwedenPosts: 1

Welcome!

5 days ago

Hello John,

and welcome to the CoH-Franchise :)

I am from Company of Heroes 1 and are winner of some tourneys there.
    Our Community have have 3 big Problems.
    First one, we all can not log in at this website with google chrome or edge, I just downloaded Firefox to write this commentary. :)

Secound one, there is a freezehacker in CoH 1 and we can´t make a replay of it, cause he is freezehack us. Everybody can´t move their cause they are frozen. He is position 1 in every modus in multiplayer, so he is lvl 20 in 1v1 with USA, Wehrmacht, Panzerelite, Uk etc. Here is his profile link https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561199083018599/

Third one, there are some guys which cheats with maphack. Are you able to ban people ? We just need help. Even if we tried to report a violation according to the Relic guidelines, nothing happened.

Sincerely,
    BkModTest

5 days ago
    Rommel654Rommel654 Fort Eustis, VAPosts: 936 mod

Hey John. Welcome. We got your back. It may be way back though.

5 days ago

Hello JohnT_RE. I hope you can respond to reasonable suggestions for the balance team to actually properly balance the game. Lately, the folks at COH2.ORG have not been decent with me. They keep trolling my suggestions and even banned me from the site, telling me that most of my issues in game are "gth" issues.

4 days ago

@BkModTest said:
    Hello John,

and welcome to the CoH-Franchise :)

I am from Company of Heroes 1 and are winner of some tourneys there.
    Our Community have have 3 big Problems.
    First one, we all can not log in at this website with google chrome or edge, I just downloaded Firefox to write this commentary. :)

Secound one, there is a freezehacker in CoH 1 and we can´t make a replay of it, cause he is freezehack us. Everybody can´t move their cause they are frozen. He is position 1 in every modus in multiplayer, so he is lvl 20 in 1v1 with USA, Wehrmacht, Panzerelite, Uk etc. Here is his profile link https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561199083018599/

Third one, there are some guys which cheats with maphack. Are you able to ban people ? We just need help. Even if we tried to report a violation according to the Relic guidelines, nothing happened.

Sincerely,
    BkModTest

Hello John,

BkModTest is one of the most respected players in Company of Heroes 1. Like he said, there is a big problem with freezehack and maphack in the community. We are desperately in need of administrators being able to ban certain players that break the game rules.

We are also having a discussion wether using the console command: "Camera_SetTuningValue(TV_DistMax, 2048)".

In the game the console command allows users to zoom out further. Some people say this is against the game rules, but the command is available while other cheat commands are disabled for multiplayer games. Is it possible to clarify the use of the console and the command in multiplayer games?

For the freezehack issue I have found out how the hack is performed and maybe it could be patched with the proper knowledge. We hope we can get some help :) The community is big but suffering!

P.S. the site works fine for me on Chrome.

3 days ago

The number one player was banned for using zoom mod/command in a ladder match which is prohibited. Zoom mod/command used in custom games is fine.

3 days ago
    StatementStatement Posts: 3

@dukejason said:
    The number one player was banned for using zoom mod/command in a ladder match which is prohibited. Zoom mod/command used in custom games is fine.

So how do we know the opponent is not using the zoom command? This means only streamers who show evidence of using the zoom command will get banned? What an idiot rule... We need it either removed or allowed.

3 days ago

@Statement said:

@dukejason said:

So how do we know the opponent is not using the zoom command? This means only streamers who show evidence of using the zoom command will get banned? What an idiot rule... We need it either removed or allowed.

This game launched roughly 15 years ago and 99.9 % of people that have played coh 1, played fairly. There is a certain trust between players in rts. You asked what the rule was on map mods/commands, you know it now. That command is a tool for developers,content creators and players to enjoy off the ladder. The Ladder matches are to be played fairly and as intended by the developers. Andy has done the best he can to bring enforcement to coh, and when john has the time, I am sure he will do the same.

3 days ago
    StatementStatement Posts: 3
    edited March 1

@dukejason said:

@Statement said:

@dukejason said:

This game launched roughly 15 years ago and 99.9 % of people that have played coh 1, played fairly. There is a certain trust between players in rts. You asked what the rule was on map mods/commands, you know it now. That command is a tool for developers,content creators and players to enjoy off the ladder. The Ladder matches are to be played fairly and as intended by the developers. Andy has done the best he can to bring enforcement to coh, and when john has the time, I am sure he will do the same.

So where is this rule written? Can any relic staff approve this rule?

It does not make sense, since the zoom command is available for anyone to use... Yet only people that stream are able to get banned for it?? Seems like a real unfair advantage then. A lot of players use it.. How is this a rule if it can't be traced? Who in command can say this is a bannable offense? Are we really having a rule based on the trust of the community? A game full of hackers/cheaters?

3 days ago
    DomobombDomobomb Posts: 5

@dukejason said:

@dukejason said:

It's not a mod, it is an in-game option thru the console to unlock the zoom. Any console cheats are disabled and only accessible thru dev mode which is not playable online. But unlocking zoom is not dev restricted, it's an option available in the base game, and doesn't use ANY 3rd party software, tools, or modifications.

Also, the number one player was banned for maphacking on stream, not zoom.