[OKW] [ALL] Sturmtiger grenade is useless

3 years ago
moremegamoremega REDWOOD CITY CA USAPosts: 229
edited June 2016 in Balance Feedback

I strongly feel the Sturmtiger's grenade vet 1 ability faces a similar issue that the ISG's hollow charge rounds faced, and that is it is not battlefield effective, therefore it should be replaced with either a more useful ability like concealing smoke grenades, or scraping the ability altogether giving it a new vet 1 modifier like inc range, etc. Keep in mind that although the Stumtiger is a very strong unit, it takes forever to level up, which by the way, I don't think I ever seen a vet 5 Sturmtiger (A topic for another thread. Hint, hint!), so for this reason it is completely unfair to have a useless vet 1 ability.

Comments

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 723

The Sturmtiger is not a very strong unit. It's decent if you buy it while ahead but it's a disaster if you by it when behind.

I won't mind if they gave it some really strong vet 1 ability.

3 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,817
    The nade sucks for sure, needs something
    3 years ago
    VellamoVellamo Posts: 10

@WunderKatze said:
    The Sturmtiger is not a very strong unit. It's decent if you buy it while ahead but it's a disaster if you by it when behind.

"disaster when behind"? When I'm behind in army count, it takes only one good shot I need to get back on even terms. Sure you can argue "B-but good players I face never blob..." and that brings us to why it's Sturmtiger is great situationally, especially in cramped maps with lotsa sight blockers or if you know your opponent's style.

If you insist to view it like that, pretty much any unit seems bad when behind.

3 years ago
    WunderKatzeWunderKat… Posts: 723

@Vellamo said:
    "disaster when behind"? When I'm behind in army count, it takes only one good shot I need to get back on even terms.

It relies completely on other units for defense (it doesn't even get a pintle MG!), has to reload after every shot, it's slow and easy to over take, if it reloads under fire it is likely to get decrewed, costs a decent bunch of resources (560MP 160FU), it has a super obvious wind up sequence and has short range.

The main issue with it is it doesn't have enough range to shoot behind blobs so it gets countered by simply retreating once you see it's gun elevate.

The only thing it's got going for it is the relatively cheap fuel cost. But still on OKW you can't just go handing out fuel. Even more so if you are behind.

So yeah. It's really not that impressive.

You can get the same (if not better) results with the walking stuka for sooooooo much less resources.

3 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951
    edited June 2016

Mirror stats to Brit tank grenades and it should be golden.

The unit as a whole probably needs to be looked at though. Faust and sturmtiger together is just asking for problems.

3 years ago

so u guys obviously dont know the hidden mechanic in this unit...
    If you where to click the area from some distance that it has to travel it wil adjust it's barrel during the drive to the final destination. futher more shooting at infantry blobs is so strong.. I mean you see the barrel turn and one has to retreat. u just hold the shot on the sturm tiger and u have a forced retreat for absolutley nothing. Also behing able to easily oneshot tanks is kinda lame...
    I have found this unit to be on of the strongest units in the game and I (playing almost only allies and a few times okw for the sturmtiger) have always feared the sturmtiger more as the king tiger even though it is cheaper

3 years ago
    moremegamoremega REDWOOD CITY CA USAPosts: 229

@WunderKatze said:

lol! Come on guys.I dnt want Imperious Dane walking in here and locking up another thread b/c it goes off topic, so lets stay focused on why the grenade specifically sucks so bad. If you want, start a new post about why you don't like this unit elsewhere.

3 years ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,020

@SuperbananaNL said:
    so u guys obviously dont know the hidden mechanic in this unit...
    If you where to click the area from some distance that it has to travel it wil adjust it's barrel during the drive to the final destination. futher more shooting at infantry blobs is so strong.. I mean you see the barrel turn and one has to retreat. u just hold the shot on the sturm tiger and u have a forced retreat for absolutley nothing. Also behing able to easily oneshot tanks is kinda lame...
    I have found this unit to be on of the strongest units in the game and I (playing almost only allies and a few times okw for the sturmtiger) have always feared the sturmtiger more as the king tiger even though it is cheaper

Talking about the defensive grenade, not the 32cm rocket.

3 years ago
    ImperialDaneImperialD… Posts: 3,083 mod

Perhaps the key is to change it into an ability similar to the British tanks that can lob grenades automatically ? Otherwise it's just an ability that sees no use. In fact i would not mind more axis vehicles getting it.

3 years ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,817
    I like auto self defensive nades.
    3 years ago
    BeardedragonBeardedra… Posts: 1,495
    edited June 2016

@raulmagana121707 said:
    I strongly feel the Sturmtiger's grenade vet 1 ability faces a similar issue that the ISG's hollow charge rounds faced, and that is it is not battlefield effective, therefore it should be replaced with either a more useful ability like concealing smoke grenades, or scraping the ability altogether giving it a new vet 1 modifier like inc range, etc. Keep in mind that although the Stumtiger is a very strong unit, it takes forever to level up, which by the way, I don't think I ever seen a vet 5 Sturmtiger (A topic for another thread. Hint, hint!), so for this reason it is completely unfair to have a useless vet 1 ability.

hmm well the grenade might suck but at least the tank one shots most allied tanks.

its kinda good in 3v3+ battles. actually not just kinda good, but rather godlike sometimes.

why does it have a grenade ability anyway. its a long range unit that doesnt really specialize in running up close. odd.

3 years ago

Maybe increase the range a little bit with vet1? Theres also a thread about the vet problem with this unit. Really hard to get vet3+. Only range bonus by now is with vet4+12.5% range. Could also benefit the vet problem?

3 years ago

I don't think this is an issue, by all means buff the grenade but like bearded dragon said but it is a long range unit. Come in, fire, reverse, repeat. I just played a 3v3 and managed to get vet 4, that was by the time I had destroyed at least 6 tanks and at least a 4 or 5 squads of inf.

3 years ago
    eonfigureeonfigure Posts: 468
    edited June 2016

There's no reason for it to have that silly & pointless ability, no one uses it, no one ever will.

Change it to a smoke grenade similar to the one found on the sherman.

3 years ago
    WiderstreitWiderstre… Posts: 950

Smoke would be really cool. +1