What do you think of the Piat?

3 years ago

So, we all know the Piat is at least kind of bad. It seems to have respectable damage and penetration, but its accuracy is abysmal, even against static targets.

Often I don't even grab the Piat at all and just take the Bren, using the six pounder and AEC/Bofors to make do through the mid/early game until I can get tanks out. The best success I've had is double-equipping sapper squads with the piat and running them right up next to vehicles so they can't miss.

What do you guys think?

Comments

3 years ago
    PanzerFaustPanzerFau… NoPosts: 284

It is situationally great, against KTs etc with engine damage for example. If the enemy runs into your mine then its PIAT galore. What I find problematic is what to equip them on, I sort of dont want my REs to lose all their close range effectiveness vs infantry. Thats why I rarely use them, Id rather go full Brens and get an AT gun and tanks.

3 years ago
    The Big Red 1The Big R… Daly City, CA, USAPosts: 674

@PanzerFaust360 said:
    It is situationally great, against KTs etc with engine damage for example. If the enemy runs into your mine then its PIAT galore. What I find problematic is what to equip them on, I sort of dont want my REs to lose all their close range effectiveness vs infantry. Thats why I rarely use them, Id rather go full Brens and get an AT gun and tanks.

at least they are cheap...

3 years ago

I would really rather that the British have a bazooka-like AT weapon, honestly. I hear a lot of arguments from pro players that the PIATs are awesome but I don't have the micro skill necessary to do what they suggest. I am not trying to say that it should require "no" micro, but making it less micro intensive would be a welcomed change and really boost a lot of my (personal) AT ability with the Brits.

3 years ago

I love the PIAT, however I only use it late game. It's pretty rubbish against Pzs, Ostwinds, and other medium or light tanks, but it can wreck non turreted TDs as well as KTs late game. When your infantry becomes used mainly for capping points You can throw an inf squad into the meat grider and hope to take off 10-20% of a KT's health before retreating. Support them with Comets & AT guns and you're golden.

3 years ago
    HuntsmanHuntsman Malton North YorkshirePosts: 72

@DjDrowsyBear said:
    I would really rather that the British have a bazooka-like AT weapon, honestly. I hear a lot of arguments from pro players that the PIATs are awesome but I don't have the micro skill necessary to do what they suggest. I am not trying to say that it should require "no" micro, but making it less micro intensive would be a welcomed change and really boost a lot of my (personal) AT ability with the Brits.

The UK had no bazooka type weapon in the war the piat replaced the boys as the main infantry AT weapon both were rubbish at killing tanks though occasionally a piat would annihilate a German tank when the shell worked there is a reason that a number of soldiers using PIAT got the VC because it was suicidal.

3 years ago
    The Big Red 1The Big R… Daly City, CA, USAPosts: 674

damage wise its good but i wish it could be a bit more accurate...

3 years ago
    TarkorotsuTarkorotsu Maybe Around CaliforniaPosts: 8
    I do not like using the Piat that much though I have used it a few times and killed enemy armor in certain situations where the tanks are stunned or their engines are damaged. So the Piat is situational due to its unreliability to kill tanks and thus it is best to go for a Bren gun unless unless in dire straits or if you know how to use the Piat well.
    2 years ago

The PIAT is just the lowest step on the AT ladder, with pshreks valued at 60 muni, bazookas at 50 muni, the PIAT sits at 40 muni. I would argue that the order there is completely correct, but the price on the PIAT needs to come down to 30. The weapon is very good against heavy armor that cannot dodge its shots for reliable damage vs tigers/KTs, but it will not spike damage and knock out such vehicles. Against light vehicles the weapon is useless against a well micro'd tank (which as we all know light tanks are the most micro intensive units in the game). A moving Panzer II Luchs is essentially immune to PIAT fire, so the Brits only option is to get a 6pdr or hope the Luchs runs over a mine and then blast it. Against medium armor we see a similar problem vs a mobile target, but it is not the invulnerability that light vehicles have. Because the weapon is only really "reliable" against heavy armor, a target which it is not very good at penetrating, I think the price should come down to 35 or 30. It requires a tech to unlock and infantry need to be in the HQ sector OR a forward assembly needs to be constructed, so with all that taken into account I think the PIAT needs a discount. I say all this as an Axis main :)

2 years ago

Unless your target is standing still, I would say they are pretty bad. However in tandem with Soviets with AT grenades they are surprisingly effective due to the engine destroying properties of the AT grenades.

2 years ago
    ThatguyThatguy Posts: 41

I say give it a similar accuracy to shreks or bazookas and work from there.