USF has access immediately to grenades and smoke, NOW they have immediate access to mortars, Soviets have immediately two units that can equip flamethrowers AND immediate access to MGs and mortars, Brits can make MGs right out the gate...why can't OKW access their MG early?
OKW support is the absolute worst and they are just awful at suppressing units and denial of territory. In fact I would argue that they are the worst in the game when it comes to defensive capabilities and support units. The logic behind accessing this sorry excuse of an MG earlier on are the following...
- The ISG is just crap. It never kills anything, doesn't retreat and if it is spotted it is instantly killed. It has a horrible habit of (maybe) injuring units but never inflicting casualties. On top of that it doesn't suppress units anymore, and the only way to get kills is if an enemy unit catches a lucky shot in the FACE. I've had one parked and barraging targets all game and MAYBE getting 15-20 kills while US mortars (especially 120mm mortar) insta-gib Sturmpio units immediately. Whereas if you spot an enemy mortar with Volksgrenadiers you will rarely kill them and incendiary grenades aren't that effective against them.
- The MG34 itself has piss poor performance. It is indisputably the WORST MG in the game. I don't care if it only costs 230 MP. I'd rather wait another 5 seconds for income and pay the 280 for something like the Vickers. Having the "ability" to vet 5 doesn't matter because they never survive that long.
- By the time the MG34 comes out, there are support teams everywhere already laying down indirect fire. There will be mortars regardless if you are facing Soviets/UK/US.
- The flaktrack is a piece of shit. (See the thread.)
- You have Volksgrenadiers desperately trying to hold important areas which are inferior in every way to every frontline unit at that point in the game.
- Sturmpioneers are not economical frontline "holding" units.
- Your good light vehicle support units (which are still inferior to Allied light vehicles) come at a cost of not having medics early on.
- You have to burn 40 FU to get medics in a largely useless Tier 1. No other faction outside of US (at a cost of 10 FU AND can move and reinforce) have this sort of FU cost early in the game to merely heal their units. (Oooh, a spotting half track that spots things so your ISG can never kill anything. Stukas are largely overrated because you are really hurting to get armor out on the field by that point usually.)
- Kubels lost their ability to suppress or slow down enemy infantry.
- You are stuck with Volksgrenadiers for quite a while because Obersoldaten are very specialized and come out very late in the game. By that time you are facing Vet 3 Sections with Brens and Vet 3 Riflemen with LMGs usually, so once again a very large window for Allies to roll your Volksgrenadiers.
So quite often you are charging to take back territories with worse units...against better infantry...with better support...with better defensive capabilities...and better light vehicles. I feel that having MG34 would ease the burden of Volksgrenadiers early on in their anti-infantry role instead of them being rolled over by enemy infantry and would help them hold it.
Sturmpioneers are great flankers but that's it. 9 pop 4 man squads that early on are really situational. I feel that it would help OKW diversify their openings and make opposing teams actually think before attacking OKW positions early on. Right now they are fearless for the first few minutes and even then not a bad deal to even attack Volksgrenadiers (even in cover).