This balance mod has been created as a collaboration between community members and balance modders, GGTheMachine, Mr Smith, and Miragefla. The scope of this patch has been focused to a subset of priority balance concerns sourced from community feedback and balance data. These concern areas include Light Tanks/Vehicles, Squad Formations & Clumping, USF Mortar, Penals & Guards, and Wehrmacht Infantry Scaling. Through addressing potential issues in these areas, we hope to mitigate dominant meta and increase strategic diversity. For more detailed insight behind these changes, read our Winter Balance Preview blog post.
To playtest these changes, subscribe to Relic's Winter Balance Preview Mod now on the Steam Workshop.
Unfortunately, there is a disparity in how squads are assigned formations which is impacting performance and game balance. The address this problem we have implemented the following changes:
We wanted to make using these units less frustrating as a reinforcement platform and more reliable in order to better supplement Wehrmacht field presence.
We feel that the Sniper’s cloak ability is over performing, making them extremely difficult to counter with infantry. To address this issues we have made the following changes:
To bring other stealth units in line with the cloaking changes made to Snipers, we have applied the following re-cloaking restrictions:
Anti-tank gun/Tank stealth changes
* Tanks (e.g., JP4) and anti-tank guns cannot re-cloak until out of combat for 5.5 seconds
* Neither type of unit can re-cloak within 10 seconds of having fired a shot
Non-sniper stealth infantry changes
* Stealth (infiltration) infantry cannot re-cloak until out of combat for 4 seconds
* Stealth infantry cannot re-cloak within 10 seconds of having used an offensive ability (e.g, grenades)
In a recent patch, all mortars received a +33% range bonus to their auto attack at Vet 3 as where previously it was only on the barrage abilities. This escalation of mortar power made them over perform compared to other types of more costly artillery pieces that had not received this bonus such as Pack Howitzers and Mortar Half-tracks.
The Puma is receiving a damage reduction against infantry on the main gun to solidify its role as a strong vehicle hunter and soft counter to medium tanks.
The combination of Penals equipped with flamethrowers, accuracy bonuses with their veterancy, and their long range Damage Per Second (DPS) of the Penal Rifles, Penal Battalions have become a dominate meta in Soviet play. Therefore, we are removing the Flamer upgrade, toning their vet 3 accuracy bonus, and upping their popcap to keep their scaling in line with other infantry.
Guards were proving to over perform in ratio to their cost, appearing to supplement any strategy, thus, limiting variation in Soviet commanders.
RGD-33 Fragmentation Grenade (Affects Partisans, but not Shocks)
* AOE far damage reduced from 0.5 to 0.25 (Same as MK2)
* Ready aim time increased from 0.125 to 0.625 (to match MK2 overall delay)
* Munitions cost reduced from 45 to 35
* Vet 2 accuracy bonus reduced from 1.3 to 1.14
* Vet 2 received accuracy bonus decreased from 0.83 to 0.88
* Vet 3 now grants a further 1.14 accuracy (1.3 total)
* Vet 3 now received accuracy bonus increased from 0.77 to 0.75, total received accuracy at vet 3 has been reduced from 0.6391 to 0.66.
The M5 itself has been lowered in manpower cost to better match its value.
We wanted to tone down the performance of the Quad to be in-line with Light Tanks and other suppression platforms. In order to make infantry counters to this unit viable, the M17 can no longer suppress enemy squads on the move.
We feel that the T-70’s high damage and AOE allowed it to wipe infantry too effectively, particularly if they are clumped in cover.
The SU-76 barrage was weak but became problematic when multiple SU-76’s were on the field as simultaneous barrages could reliably dislodge support weapons and AT guns.
To give Wehrmacht more staying power on the field, Medkits will now fully heal up a squad.
We felt that pioneer damage output was under performing and proving ineffective in combat.
Whilst they have an initial impact, their damage fall off, manpower bleed, grenades and veterancy scaling made them not scale well or a viable choice in the late game. Therefore, to improve their scaling, we have made the following changes:
Panzer Grenadiers are a strong unit but their timing means other factions already have veterancy on their infantry making it difficult for PGs to gain their own veterancy in a timely manner.
G43 Package (Also affects Stormtroopers but not Grenadiers)
* Far aim time multiplayer reduced from 3.5 to 3. (Boosts long range DPS)
* Now increases sight range by 20%
The 222 also wasn’t scaling with veterancy as well as other light vehicles and suffered from inconsistent damage output preventing it from tracking infantry properly. We also felt that the auto-cannon was too reliant on AOE for damage.
* Accuracy changes from 0.06/0.04/0.02 to 0.05/0.04/0.03
* Autocannon Rate of fire multiplier from 1.4/1.2/1 to 1
* Autocannon penetration increased from 35 to 40
* Mid range distance from 15 to 20
* Autocannon AOE Near damage reduced from 1 to 0.6
* MG42 now properly tracks infantry
* Accuracy reduced from 0.6/0.425/0.25 to 0.4/0.35/0.25
* Accuracy increases with veterancy: +10%/+15%/+15%
* Range distance near from 10 to 0
* 0.75 Accuracy modifier versus Snipers (down from 1.5).
Note that, even though, it may appear that we are heavily reducing the MG’s damage output, however, the MG was never able to fire in the first place, due to a MG tracking bug.
The Stug E was proving to be overly effective for its cost, especially as a call-in tank that could bypass tech requirements. Furthermore, Target Weak Point allowed the Stug E to have strong anti tank utility even though it's primarily an anti-infantry vehicle.
Target Weak Point
* Target Weak Point now only disables turret rotation
* Damage reduced from 80 to 40
* Always penetrates
The Puma serves the role of a anti-vehicle and soft counter to tanks, however, the Target Weak Point’s ability to stun tanks made it over perform for its cost and mobility.
Target Weak Point
* Target Weak Point now only disables turret rotation
* Damage reduced from 120 to 60
* Always penetrates
The ability to equip two M1919 LMG’s on a squad was resulting in over performing long range DPS for a squad as durable as Riflemen or as cheap as Rear Echelon.
To improve Wehrmacht's late game infantry scaling, USF Riflemen have received a slight reduction in their vet 3 bonus to their received accuracy.
The USF Mortar’s barrage, rate of fire and veterancy bonuses have been causing this unit to overperform in most engagements. Furthermore, it has overshadowed the more expensive pack howitzer, lacking only range on its barrage until the pack howitzer hits veterancy 2.
* Vet 0 now provides access to the Smoke Barrage ability
* Vet 1 reduced scatter bonus replaced by increase to Smoke Barrage range (80)
Critical repair allowed USF vehicles to escape too easily after getting caught by a Panzerfaust or hitting a mine.
We wanted to make the M20 more accessible but also make its interaction with the 222 more consistent while lower its close range damage to limit its effectiveness at diving after support weapons and infantry on retreat. We also felt that the M20 vets up too slowly and without enough bonuses.
We felt that the Stuart was overperforming in its role as an anti-infantry unit and as a strong vehicle hutner. Furthermore, its stun rounds allowed it to hunt down light vehicles that were designed to counter it.
Due to the changes made to the Stuart , the M15 needed to be brought in line to prevent it from becoming the new dominant meta choice.
Given the timing, price and mode of operation of the M3 halftrack (reinforcement platform), we believe that the USF M3 halftrack performs more akin to other reinforcement halftracks, rather than the Soviet M3A1 halftrack.
We felt that this unit was arriving too early, especially compared to the Soviet equivalent.
We felt that the risk vs reward for the Mechanised HQ as a tech choice was too high due it not offering any type of healing.
We’ve found that the 251 Half-Track was underperforming in its role as an anti-infantry unit due to its immobility and vulnerability to vehicle rushes, lack of infantry support, and inability to counter some of OKW’s primary threats such as MG lockdown.
The Panzer 2 is a powerful unit with high AI damage, though was still a risky build order due to the lack of healing that came with the Mechanised HQ tech choice.
2cm vs Garrisons
* Garrison Damage Multiplier from 0.25 to 0.3
* Garrison Accuracy Multiplier from 0.4 to 0.5
Aimed shot was being used less for its utility and more for its guaranteed ability to wipe infantry on retreat.
We feel that PIAT’s are a primary influencer to why the British are experiencing a disparity in the early and late game anti-tank capability. PIAT’s also pose a problem between game modes, skill levels and maps due to the fact they must be manually and precisely aimed.
Given the Universal Carrier’s low health, we felt that the damage of the WASP was too low for it to effectively dislodge exposed or garrisoned HMG teams, making British too reliant on the Mortar Pit and Sniper.
* Munitions cost reduced from 90 to 60
* WASP flame burst duration increased from 2 to 3
* WASP Cooldown from 2/3 to 3/4
* Damage versus Garrisons from 1.25 to 1
* Aim time increased to match 251
* Moving Accuracy from 0.5 to 1
* Flame can now fire over obstacles
* WASP DoT Radius from 5 to 3.
* Fire Aim Time from 0.125 to 1.375
* Ready-Aim Time from 0.375/0.625 to 0.375/0.375
The AEC’s anti-infantry damage was too potent for a vehicle with so much anti-tank capability, yet its main gun was very inconsistent due to its large scatter. The AEC also suffered from extremely low armour causing it to be destroyed by S Mines and HMG teams too easily.
* Added a projectile
* Scatter changed to match main gun
* Cone of fire increased from 5 to 10
* Stationary accuracy increased by 20% from the main gun
* Duration reduced 20 to 7
The Raketenwerfer can now pick up medical supply drops from Sturmpioneers
#Quality of Life Changes#
We have made improvements to all Squad formations in the game