Winter Balance Preview Mod Feedback

Comments

1 year ago

Regarding the handbrake ability for halftracks, wouldnt it be better if this ability worked like a very similar one works in the GG Mod v0.82? Toggling the ability would make your halftrack not change direction but if given a command it would still do it. This takes some stress of the player because it requires less clicks and thus saving unnecessary micro. The one that is in the WBP v1.7 would be a good implementation to the ambulance, for example, because this unit once in set up mode will heal and reinforce squads and also it isnt a frontline fighting unit.

1 year ago
    MCMartelMCMartel Posts: 1,847

Without Oorah or Satchels on penals, soviets are now really vulnerable to garrisons.

1 year ago
    Farra13Farra13 Posts: 647
    edited January 2017

@MCMartel said:
    Without Oorah or Satchels on penals, soviets are now really vulnerable to garrisons.

We have clown cars, mortar smoke to close the distance, molotovs and shocks. Satchels was just an option, one that quite often was a little over the top for ambient buildings. Its not the end of the world.

1 year ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,293

@Vipper said:
    ///V1.7 UPDATE
    Panzer 2 'Luchs'

We are increasing the consistency of the damage output of the Luchs by eliminating sources of inconsistency other similar units do not normally suffer from.

Main gun ignores cover if driven within 10m from enemy squad (like all small-arms weapons)////

Actually this chance will have the exact same result. Luch inconstant damage behavior is related to its extremely low damage modifier vs heavy cover 0.25% instead of standard 0.50.

Having a X400% more damage from range 11 to range 10 will make the unit even more inconstant.

(generally that is also a fault of the "point blank" mechanism that kick in we no warning to player and with yes/no mechanism instead of linear mechanism. Point blank mechanism should be look at imo, maybe removing 25-50% of cover bonus at range 10 and the rest linearly).

With this change the unit will overperform vs unit with no AT/snare while it will UP vs unit with AT.

A far better solution would be to make the multiplier 75% and 1 vs green/yellow cover. (While you at it apply the same change to Centuar that is OP vs cover)

this is a very very good point and i dont think it should get buried

1 year ago
    SquishyMuffinSquishyMu… Posts: 405
    edited January 2017

Really thought the P2 was fine as it was. Just needed price decrease and that building damage increase. Kyle they're doing that thing again when they over balance something. Where's that 'scope' whip?

Vet requirement decrease is good.

1 year ago
    Lnk003Lnk003 Posts: 378
    edited January 2017

@Mr_Smith: About the reverted changes; is there any way we can overturns the decison to revert your changes for the patch or does relic (or your task force) plan to do a poll about this?

1 year ago
    Mr_SmithMr_Smith Posts: 343
    edited January 2017

@thedarkarmadillo said:

@Vipper said:
    ///V1.7 UPDATE
    Panzer 2 'Luchs'

We are increasing the consistency of the damage output of the Luchs by eliminating sources of inconsistency other similar units do not normally suffer from.

Main gun ignores cover if driven within 10m from enemy squad (like all small-arms weapons)////

Actually this chance will have the exact same result. Luch inconstant damage behavior is related to its extremely low damage modifier vs heavy cover 0.25% instead of standard 0.50.

Having a X400% more damage from range 11 to range 10 will make the unit even more inconstant.

(generally that is also a fault of the "point blank" mechanism that kick in we no warning to player and with yes/no mechanism instead of linear mechanism. Point blank mechanism should be look at imo, maybe removing 25-50% of cover bonus at range 10 and the rest linearly).

With this change the unit will overperform vs unit with no AT/snare while it will UP vs unit with AT.

A far better solution would be to make the multiplier 75% and 1 vs green/yellow cover. (While you at it apply the same change to Centuar that is OP vs cover)

this is a very very good point and i dont think it should get buried

As I was explaining in another thread.

The particular issue we are targeting with the point-blank mechanic has to do with omnidirectional cover.

If live-verson Luchs drives up next to a Maxim gun in a crater, there is no way to counteract the accuracy penalty of light cover. That's because crater cover is omni-directional.

In the live version that wouldn't matter much, since Luchs, in any case, would hit like a truck. In WBP that Luchs damage has been toned down somewhat this would add to the impression that the Luchs is impotent.

Instead, with the changes a Luchs that drives up -next- to an enemy squad will benefit from the maximum possible performance.

We could lower the penalties vs green cover, if the change is not sufficient. This is an orthogonal issue.

However, we don't think it would be a good idea to lower the penalties when firing against yellow cover, since this would make it impossible to find shelter from the Luchs. Increasing Luchs' performance at short range to counteract crater cover would also not help, as this would make turn Luchs into a wipe-machine vs retreating units. And, again, there would still be a performance disparity between chasing a squad through a crater-field, or open ground.

Thus, adding the point-blank mechanic seems like the best compromise.

In any case, T-70/etc firing at such short ranges usually have their projectiles go over said cover and land amdist the squad.

1 year ago

Please, try to give a reason to use conscripts with this patch. Now they have one role - man power abuse.

1 year ago
    WiderstreitWiderstre… Posts: 939
    edited January 2017

Let Cons be the base-building unit for Soviet and make the molotow a non-tec ability. Remove the flamer of soviet Pioneer. 

extra:
    Change the Sniper with the Zis3 between T1 and T2. So T1 also get the ability of AT and Artillery.

Other ideas:

Let Grens be the base-building unit for Ost and put them into T0. Move the Pioneer into T1. Change the HMG42 with the HMG34 for balanced support in early game. Give Pio a 3kg-geballe-Ladung like Penals have.

extra:
    Give Osttruppen sand-bags.
    Give Ost same trench as Brits if they get the right commander. 50mp costs. 
    Remove the S-mine field, better let them build separat mines like 1/4 of the field.

AND:

Make all trenches NEUTRAL!!!!!

1 year ago
    Xutryn_X7Xutryn_X7 Posts: 204

@Widerstreit said:
    Let Cons be the base-building unit for Soviet and make the molotow a non-tec ability. Remove the flamer of soviet Pioneer. 

extra:
    Change the Sniper with the Zis3 between T1 and T2. So T1 also get the ability of AT and Artillery.

Other ideas:

Let Grens be the base-building unit for Ost and put them into T0. Move the Pioneer into T1. Change the HMG42 with the HMG34 for balanced support in early game. Give Pio a 3kg-geballe-Ladung like Penals have.

extra:
    Give Osttruppen sand-bags.
    Give Ost same trench as Brits if they get the right commander. 50mp costs. 
    Remove the S-mine field, better let them build separat mines like 1/4 of the field.

AND:

Make all trenches NEUTRAL!!!!!

You are delusional.Cons needs to be more defensive,maybe give them bonus RA in cover? or just make them more durable with a VET tweak.I don't want anything to be swapped.It will be harder to balance than to tweak simple units.Already grens are in t1 and don't fell that good.They need to be either have more damage or some little survivability+damage.But still i find IS squad at vet 3 the worst to fight...they are very very hard to hit as vet 3 grens.Even 3xvet 3 grens vs 2x vet 3 IS squad with double bren will be enought to get grens wiped with minimal damage to the UKF. Vs rifleman it's still manageable.Maybe they should tweak grens vet also a little bit.They kinda vet hard vs IS or rifleman

1 year ago

When will it get into the live game? February tomorrow is all. What's the timeline?

1 year ago
    KatitofKatitof Posts: 6,399

@SquishyMuffin said:
    When will it get into the live game? February tomorrow is all. What's the timeline?

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/243593/when-is-this-patch-dropping#latest

1 year ago
    VipperVipper Posts: 3,612
    edited January 2017

"Puma (Otheer)
    The Puma serves the role of a anti-vehicle and soft counter to tanks, however, the Target Weak Point’s ability to stun tanks made it over perform for its cost and mobility.
    Target Weak Point

Target Weak Point now only disables turret rotation
    Damage reduced from 120 to 60
    Always penetrates"

This change not only make Ostheer puma worse but also make the ability pointless vs vehicles with no turrets.

The ability or unit need some changes like moved to vet 0, cause "blind critical", have access to smoke, more damage, have an affect on all vehicles...
    (same goes for Stug -E but a barrage ability or a toggle direct indirect fire would be better better)

1 year ago

@Katitof K thanks

@Vipper Yeah I noticed how mediocre of an ability it was on Sunday's king of the hill games (OKW - but in this patch it's just the Wehr one affected? Huh?).

I don't understand why it was nerfed. Didn't see a soul bring it up as an immediate concern for balance. What are the Pak's ability in the live game / the one in this patch? Cos if it's the same useless turret-lock it won't deter a head on assault if it can still fire in the direction it's heading in...lol... :(

1 year ago
    Just dont understand why are they so focused on light vehicles that were kind of ok instead of fixing the various units like the comet that are clearly broken... Relic check your scope for the wbp team again...
    1 year ago
    ArrayArray Posts: 39

@AceOfTitanium said:
    Just dont understand why are they so focused on light vehicles that were kind of ok instead of fixing the various units like the comet that are clearly broken... Relic check your scope for the wbp team again...

Because all changes have knock on effects plus the light vehicle meta (in smaller games) was stifling. Although many changes are small they cumulatively may shift the power balance early and mid game - this will have knock on effects for late game - for example maybe the brit wont have quite the same fuel income and cromwell will be a touch later. I think that units like the comet need looking at but changing everything at once is probably a mistake.

1 year ago
    Farra13Farra13 Posts: 647

Array is right that working within a smaller scope allows them to study and track how these changes perform over the next couple months after its release, believe me I'd love them to nerf the comet and fix its f***ing bugged WP round vet vet ability, but for now its better to look at balancing the early/mid game so factions like the brits aren't able to snowball so effectively into the late game and access the comet so early.

1 year ago
    Remove tank commabder from UC is stupid. It's a 2 CP ability!!! Its debuff to speed and reload is too huge for scarcifing any vehicle which is more expensive than a UC. Your team simply make this ability become completely useless.

Suggestion:
    1.Either give a cost to recon or remove the recon and let UC to regain the tank commander.

2. Remove the debuff but disable UC to be tank commander.
    1 year ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,833

Doesn't fix the issue. You would also need to nerf the buff aura.

1 year ago
    The buff area seems lots smaller the the command pantzer 4 and command panther, and gives no disadvantidge. Does any one have a cleu why?
    1 year ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 3,833
    edited February 2017

@TheLeveler83 said:
    The buff area seems lots smaller the the command pantzer 4 and command panther, and gives no disadvantidge. Does any one have a cleu why?

Because Command Panzer comes in long past the UC at 8CP, cost 125 fuel, and can only engage infantry and light vehicles despite this hefty tag?

Command Panther doesn't confer a buff even remotely as powerful unless you actually vet it up, which is no easy task, again costs a large fuel price tag and doesn't come in until after late game has started and been going a bit.

Any other apples to oranges comparisons(removed) ?

1 year ago
    TheLeveler83TheLevele… Posts: 645
    edited February 2017
    Lazarus.

I can think of a few. But then i would take up to much of your time.
    1 year ago

Is it fair for the USF quad to have vehicle crew repair? (don't want to create a new thread + it's a light vehicle).

1 year ago
    edited February 2017

@Mr_Smith: It seems pershing was nerfed/changed (turret rotation and ability at least) but it's not written on the patch note.
    http://plays.tv/video/58929bab3b620a5105/pershing-sn (deleted)

If I missed the part where it's written then don't mind this post.

1 year ago
    Mr_SmithMr_Smith Posts: 343

@Lnk003 said:
    @Mr_Smith: It seems pershing was nerfed/changed (turret rotation and ability at least) but it's not written on the patch note.
    http://plays.tv/video/58929bab3b620a5105/pershing-sn

If I missed the part where it's written then don't mind this post.

We haven't changed anything about the Pershing (except for the minimap icon size change). I'm not a Pershing connoisseur, however, the turret rotation speed seems to be identical to me between the live game and the mod.

Could it be that the turret rotation you are most used to is the one that Pershing achieves by Veterancy2?

1 year ago
    edited February 2017

@Mr_Smith Totally my mistake it's identical to live game.
    Don't mind my post then sorry for that.

1 year ago

Can we reduce the time to build mines for M20 and other vehicles (rigel)

1 year ago
    Kyle_REKyle_RE Posts: 462 admin

Version 1.8 is now live. This is likely to be one of the last 2 or 3 versions before the changes are locked for live game integration. If you have any feedback on the existing changes but haven't voiced your opinion yet or if you haven't played the mod yet, now would be a good time. Thank you again to everyone who has participated in this process, your feedback has been invaluable.

1 year ago

Giving penals ptrs rifles was the one thing that allowed the Soviets to mix up their commander options. I really hope you keep testing that option.

1 year ago
    edited February 2017

Imo giving PTRS to Penals is bad option. If Soviet stock AT infantry (and that is a very big If) simply make Guards come of of T1 and Penals a Doctrinal unit.

But then guards would have to be delay maybe requiring a second building or something.