[SOV][OST]-[howitzer]

2 years ago

Stationary howitzer artillery has an issue: it's absolutely vulnerable to certain abilities. For example, Soviet MLs and B-4s can be fully destroyed by by the 50 kg bomb drop, German artillery is also vulnerable to the IL bombing run. The situation is even worse with those "jager armor doctrine" and "Soviet Combined Army" doctrines, that grant the player access to both recon and bombing run abilities. IMO, there are 3 ways to fix this: 1). You could revamp those doctrines, so that they have either recon or big badaboom ability and not both of them at the same time 2). You can boost the artillery HP, so that it's possible to re-crew and repair them after a strike 3). You can allow placement of the arty pieces inside the HQ sectors as well as prohibit usage of all those bombing runs in those sectors.

Tagged:

Comments

2 years ago
    Either revamp recon/bombing run or increase health/target tables. Absolute no to build in base, weve been there and i dont want to go back
    2 years ago
    MeowMeow Posts: 165

Well is 500 MP worth 200 munitions? For manpower you need 2.5 minutes of waiting and for munitions around 5.
    Also manpower could be spent on other useful stuff so idk if it is worth it.

2 years ago
    BigBearBigBear Posts: 94
    edited February 2017

I think there can be a reinforcement/barricade upgrade (like hull down, or green cover) with sandbags or something that soak up damage from the front of the gun. The crew would be more resilient to explosives but more vulnerable to flame weapons. It won't be available from the beginning, it needs to be purchased for a certain amount of munitions per gun. How does that sound?

2 years ago

Brit emplacements should not be allowed in the base. Its not an issue on most maps, but crossroads, faymonville are problematic.

2 years ago

@1ncendiary_Rounds said:
    Brit emplacements should not be allowed in the base. Its not an issue on most maps, but crossroads, faymonville are problematic.

Agreed. Especially the mortar pit, which can be used to hit surrounding areas with impunity.

2 years ago

@Meow написал:
    Well is 500 MP worth 200 munitions? For manpower you need 2.5 minutes of waiting and for munitions around 5.

maybe better 400mp and 40fuele?

2 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951

I've always wondered what if the howitzers could be moved, but required the attention of engineers to set back up again? It would allow them to dodge arty, but would be a big enough pain to keep moving engies back that you wouldn't be moving after every barrage. I just don't know if the animations exist.

2 years ago

Aqua написал:
    I've always wondered what if the howitzers could be moved, but required the attention of engineers to set back up again? It would allow them to dodge arty, but would be a big enough pain to keep moving engies back that you wouldn't be moving after every barrage. I just don't know if the animations exist.

50 kg bomb falls in 10 secs and has big aoe, and this doesn't help. Il2 faster too.

2 years ago

Bomb kills only gun crew :)

2 years ago
    _Aqua__Aqua_ Posts: 1,951
    edited February 2017

@Boris_yeltsin said:

50 kg bomb falls in 10 secs and has big aoe, and this doesn't help. Il2 faster too.

The consensus with SDB's fucking massive death crit zone is that its OP ever since it got its radius ninja'd up to something like 5 times the original size, so I find it hard to believe it won't get a nerf at some point. IL-2 would be less of a problem, but providing upper and lower travel time to planes would fix this (and a crapton of other behavior that makes strafes crazy at map edge and weak towards the center)

2 years ago
    mintyminty Huntington BeachPosts: 19

@GoYellowFox said:
    Bomb kills only gun crew :)

This is a good idea. Kinda like an abandoned vehicle.

2 years ago
    Lnk003Lnk003 Posts: 417
    edited February 2017

I think the issue is more about how predictable shooting down a plane is and the ability to counter planes overall.
    On paper if you let your howitzer without AA you kinda deserved to be hard counter by planes.

Issue is right now countering planes is so inconsistent because it's only to the will of Rng gods that makes ridiculous stuff happen sometimes and makes most of AA vehicules build to counter infantry and never/almost never purposely to counter aircraft.

They should put hp to planes so you could reliably counter them and maybe (probably imo) bring back and expend the AA stance toggle the US AA HT used to have to all anti air vehicules so they would become immobile but more effective versus aircrafts (increased range, increase accuracy something like that).

2 years ago
    MeowMeow Posts: 165

Maybe make half-trucks be able to tow > @Boris_yeltsin said:

@Meow написал:

maybe better 400mp and 40fuele?

yeah fuel cost would be good , your manpower wouldn't be so damaged for building arty , you can build arty when you can protect it , but that's happens when you have a lot of pop , but than you get small mp income so making arty cost some fuel and less mp would be brilliant.

2 years ago

I was thinking a brace ability equivalent. The fact you lose the entire piece is such a ball buster, id rather just lose the crew then the entire piece. Another major issue with it is the fact that the artillery reveals itself when firing. Not only through sound but it literally shows itself when it hits its target. There needs to be a bit more subversive nature to howitzers in the sense that its harder to find them.