DECEMBER BALANCE PREVIEW V1.0
We are happy to announce the December Balance Preview! Please note the changes below are NOT FINAL and will be undergoing weeks of iteration based on the community's feedback and extensive playtesting in the DBP Mod (which will be publicly available on the Steam Workshop later this week). For more info on what will be included in the December Update and the formerly suspended Fall Balance Preview, please check out our Blog.
For any feedback you have regarding the proposed changes below, make sure to post in out DBP Balance Feedback and DBP Bug thread located in the Balance Feedback section of the forums.
- Tune select underused / undervalued commanders to increase and diversify the number of viable strategies available in automatch (More info to come - to be included in V2 of the DBP Mod)
- Tone down the effectiveness of some the Axis’ elite, heavy tanks to make them less spammable and dominant in team games
- Tone down the squad wiping effectiveness of some over performing, off-map abilities
- Adjust some of meta dominating units (primarily Soviet) to improve strategic / competitive diversity
- Improve strategic diversity and quality of life by making minor adjustments to redundant, underused and generalist units
- Revitalizing 2 – 3 underused commanders for each faction (more info to come - to be included in V2 of the DBP Mod)
- Continuing the work from the Fall Balance Preview’s highest rated changes
Adjustments to units dominating the current Soviet meta in competitive play
* Lend Lease Commander
* Maxims & Penals adjustments
Adjustments to select heavy tanks that are currently over performing in team games
* OKW Panther V
Adjustments to vet 4 and 5 of select OKW units that trade too cost effectively at higher veterancy (More info to come)
- Adjustments to OKW and UKF Forward Retreat Points to come with a trade-off and become an interesting choice for the player rather than a guaranteed decision (primarily affects team games)
- Adjustments to select Off-map abilities to reduce the effectiveness of frustrating, one-click squad wipes
General improvements to help with quality of life and strategic diversity
Blitzkrieg/Overdrive/War Speed/Step On It
- These movement boost abilities will now cease when the vehicle receives an engine critical.
Forward Retreat Points
- UKF FRP requires Company Command Post.
- OKW FRP requires either a Mechanized or Schwerer Panzer Headquarters established.
- OKW Battlegroup unable to reinforce if cut-off from friendly territory.
- Reinforcement cost (global) increased by 20% while FRP ability is active
- 2 minute cooldown when FRP ability is deactivated
- 30 sec cooldown when FRP ability is activated (i.e., can't be deactivated for 30s after being turned on)
Sandbags and Ghosting
- All sandbags standardized to 240 health and 35 armor.
- Ostheer sandbags build-time from 60 to 45
- Units that have been in combat in the past 3 seconds will cause all unfinished enemy ghostbags within 4 radius to immediately deconstruct
USF Rear Echelon & British Royal Engineers:
- Vet 0 repair speed reduced from 2 to 1.6
- Vet 2 repair bonus decreased from 1 to 0.5
- Heavy Sapper upgrade (sappers only) decreased repair speed from 2 to 0.525
- Vet 0 repair decreased from 3 to 2
- Added a squad AI behaviour where individual models in squads assume varying postures while fighting the enemy (without changing their position) - i.e. Elite squads will prefer a crouching animation for some of their members, whereas non-elite squads will also drop prone to the ground.
- Fixed a disparity where low-member squads also suffered from the most densely-packed formations (making them even more vulnerable to AoE weapons)
- Assist each squad in their role (e.g., the new reinforced wedge formation will make paratrooper squads always have their thompsons at the front line) - Make each squad feel more unique
- Squad formations are now, once again, more fluid while the squad is moving. In addition to improving immersion, this will also help the individual squads spread out better to make a better use of their formations.
- Allied squads once again, assign support weapons (e.g., bazookas) to flanks rather than the core of the formation
- Activating smoke barrages will now only order one unit at a time. Previously if multiple mortars were selected, all units would fire smoke at the target position
Fuel and Munition Caches
- MP cost increased from 200 to 250
- Load time for buildings increased to 1 (per model)
- Max load time increased to 3.25 (entire squad)
- Unload time for buildings increased to 0.5 (per model)
To decrease the manpower bleed the Kubelwagon can inflict in the early game (primarily vs USF), we have made the following changes:
- Decrease rear armor from 4.5 to 1.6
- Decrease front armor from 4.5 to 3.5
- Increase health form 190 to 240
To decrease the on field dominance of the Jagdtiger against Allied tanks, the unit has received the following changes. To help keep the unit useful vs infantry, the Supporting Fire ability has received some performance enhancements.
- Damage reduced from 320 to 300
- Accuracy reduced from 0.06/0.05/0.04 to 0.055/0.045/0.03
- Range reduced from 85 to 80
- Supporting Fire range reduced from 125 to 95
- Engine upgrade rotation bonus removed
- Pop-cap increased from 21 to 23
- Supporting Fire ability now available at Vet 0
- Vet 1 replaced with Supporting Fire Barrage shells increased from 3 to 5
Supporting fire changes:
- No longer collides with terrain
- Mid distance from 2.25 to 1.5
- Angle scatter from 6 to 8
- Distance scatter max from 8.4 to 10
- Distance scatter offset from 0.1 to 0
As arguably the best non-doctrinal heavy tank in COH2, we felt that the unit offered too much benefit to spam and was increasingly dominate when produced in numbers. To encourage players to diversify their late game tech, we have made the following changes:
- Pop-cap increased from 16 to 18
- Decreased moving accuracy from 0.65 to 0.5
- Increased moving scatter from 1.7 to 2
- Vet 2 +10 % armor bonus removed (also affects command Panther)
- +100% accuracy bonus reduced to +20% (affects all OKW vehicles)
- Abandon critical now only occurs from ballistic weapons
- The Sturmtiger Abandon Critical while reloading chance reduced from 50% to 25%
- Damage reduced from 640 to 580
- Manpower cost increased from 560 to 620
- Fuel cost increased from 160 to 180
- Population cost increased from 18 to 20
- All random critical types removed except for vehicle stun
- Now has access to a smoke barrage ability
Damage has been reduced to prevent the Elefant from two-shotting most Allied tanks.
- Damage from 320 to 300
- Pop-cap increased from 20 to 22
Unlike the OKW Panther, we feel the OST Panther is more or less in a good spot. However, to make it somewhat more reliable in combat, the variable reload time of the main gun has been reduced.
- Pop-cap increased from 16 to 18
- Vet 2 +10 % armor bonus removed
- Reload time decreased from 5.8 - 6.7 to 5.2 - 5.6 (reload time does not include wind-up)
Stuka Dive Bomb
- Increase AoE damage multiplier from 1/0.35/0.05 to 1/0.35/0.08
- Increased Munitions cost from 160 to 200
- Removed critical hit modifier
Stuka close air support
- CAS loiter no longer deals deflection/penetration criticals on attacked vehicles
The M4C Sherman has been tied to Soviet Tier 4 tech to prevent it from being spammed and to encourage players to diversify their tech.
- Now required the Mechanized Armor Kompenya to be constructed.
- CP cost decreased to 0
The Penal Squad has received some minor adjustments to bring it more in line with its cost and to reduce its effectiveness as a powerful generalist unit by offering a more distinct choice between anti-infantry and anti-vehicle.
- Moving cooldown from 0.5 to 0.75.
- Reinforce cost increased from 25 to 27
- Veterancy requirements increased from 540/1080/2160 to 640/1280/2560.
- Regular Satchels no longer collide with vehicles.
- Targeted Anti-Vehicle Satchels now require the PTRS upgrade.
- Targeted Anti-Vehicle Satchels will continue to track targets, even after they have moved out of range.
- Fixed an issue where Targeted Anti-Vehicle Satchels would deal high damage to passengers onboard vehicles.
- Fixed an issue where satchels were dealing more damage to friendly infantry than enemy infantry.
- PTRS Ready Aim Time reduced from 2 to 1.25 (affects all PTRS variants)
The Dshka HMG has proved to be exceedingly cost effective and thus the adjustments made to the unit below will bring it more in line with its performance and make it less of a spammable unit.
- Increased reinforcement cost for vanilla crew from 15 to 20.
- Traverse speed decreased from 90 to 38
- Suppression decreased from 0.00044 to 0.00030.
- Rate of fire multiplier decreased from 2.1/1.5/0.9 to 1.3/1.15/0.9.
- Setup time increased from 2 to 2.25.
- Fire aim time from 0.125/1 to 0.125 - 0.5.
- Ready aim time from 0.375-0.5 to 0.25
- Population from 6 to 7
To make some slight performance improvements to the Maxim HMG, the following changes have been made:
- Suppression from 0.00006 to 0.000065.
- Nearby suppression from 1.25 to 1.
- Ready-Aim Time to 0.125.
- Fire-Aim Time to 0.125.
- Fire-Aim Time multipliers standardized to 0.5.
Maxim Suppression Intel Bulletin
- Suppression bonus reduced from +5% to +1%
To make Conscript squads scale better into the mid to late game, as well as, be able to trade better vs comparable Axis squads such as Volksgrenadiers, the following changes have been made:
- Damage from 16 to 12
- Accuracy from 0.541/0.495/0.334 to 0.7182821/0.6598548/0.55654425
- Near range increased from 0 to 10
- PPSH accuracy from reduced from 0.621/0.43/0.2 to 0.5645455/0.3909091/0.181818
- Molotov upgrade has been merged with the Anti-tank upgrade at the HQ
- Vet1: Added a Received Accuracy modifier of 0.92
- Vet2: Molotov range replaced with increased Molotov throw speed
- Vet3: Added accuracy modifier of 1.1 & Reduced Received accuracy modifier from 0.6 to 0.707
To make the ISU more accessible, in-line with its cost and less dominated vs other super heavy tanks such as the Jagdtiger, the following changes have been made.
- Armor increased from 310 to 340
- MP cost decreased from 720 to 680
- HE Far damage increased from 0.05 to 0.15.
- HE AOE Distances decreased from 1.25/2.75/4.5 to 0.25/1.5/6.
- Concrete-Piercing and HE rounds can now bypass landscape/terrain.
- Scatter Distance max increased from 8.7 to 10.
- Angle scatter increased from 5 to 6.5.
- AP Shells deal 50% deflection
To bring the Calliope more in line with other mobile artillery and less dominant at mid to short range, the following changes have been made:
- Pop-cap increased 16
- Delay between rockets fired of 0.125 added
- Near AOE increased from 0.5 to 0.75
- Removal of Reload Frequency
- HP decreased from 640 to 480
The Priest has received the following changes to make it less abusive and spammable in team games.
- Mid AOE from 0.15 to 0.28
- Creeping Barrage weapon now shares the same stats as the standard barrage weapon.
- Population decreased from 16 to 15.
- Can no longer be de-crewed.
The Jackson has received a slight buff to its health to allow players to be a bit more aggressive and utilize its speed to perform more hit and run tactics. Cost increased to match performance.
- Health increased from 480 to 640
- Fuel increased from 125 to 140
- Manpower increased from 350 to 400
Rear- Echelons / Riflemen
To improve Rear Echelons as a support unit and improve their usefulness at different stages of a match, the following changes have been made:
- Smoke moved from Riflemen to Rear Echelon (Lieutenant retains smoke)
- Rear Echelon now have access to the Light M7 mine at a cost of 15 Munitions per mine
- British Trench now capturable by enemy troops
- Cost reduced from 50 MP to 0 (free)
- Can only be built in captured territory (also affects OST trench)
Due to the Firefly's range and accuracy, when combined with the Comet or when multiple Firefly's are fielded, this combination of tank power can prove to be overly dominate (primarily in team games). To compensate, the following changes have been made:
- Accuracy from 0.08/0.07/0.05 to 0.06/0.05/0.4
- Moving accuracy from 0.75 to 0.55
- Tulips no longer cancels move commands upon stun when hit
- Tulips now deal 33% damage versus infantry.
- Now has access to smoke barrage at Vet 0
- Vet 1 reduces smoke barrage cooldown
BUG FIXES & Quality of Life Changes
- Fixed an issue where several vehice units would prefer moving backwards than forwards. Backwards movement in right-click mode will only be engaged if reverse yields a significantly faster path.
- Fixed an issue where remanned howitzer crewmembers would cost more to reinforce
- Fixed an issue where certain infantry models were immune to death from flame weapons
- Pak43 and 17 pounder now have Prioritise Vehicles permanently on
- Grenadier LMG 42 now uses the proper upgrade icon.
- Maxim Sustained Fire now uses the proper ability icon.
- KV-8 Call-In ability now uses the proper unit icon.
- Soviet and USF ATGs are no longer slowed by cover to match their Axis and British counterparts.
- Soviet Roks 3 no longer has higher aim-times compared to other flamethrowers
- Fixed an issue where Hold Fire would not work properly on mortars/Le.IG and the Pack Howitzer
- Fixed an issue where the Veterancy 1 Soviet mortar flare ability would sometimes not trigger
- 120mm Mortar flare ability not matching the weapon’s auto-fire range
- Fixed an issue where the T-34 Ram ability would stun on deflection, but not on penetration.
- Fixed an issue when 250 LMG Grenadiers did not have penalties when constructing objects and gained increased range on their grenade with veterancy
- Fixed an issue where the AI would not upgrade healing or repairs for their respective structures.
- Fixed an issue with infantry handheld AT weapons would not properly apply death criticals to vehicles when the target reaches 0% health.
- Fixed an issue where the Bulldozer would fire less smoke rounds compared to the regular Sherman.
- Fixed an issue where officer cost and reinforce times did not match with the rest of their squad.
- Fixed an issue where Firefly tulips could apply their effects on infantry.
- The Priest no longer requires 4 models to recrew. Now requires 3.
- Fixed an issue where M2HBs and Dshka HMGs could not be targeted when abandoned.
- Fixed an issue where certain infantry units awarded more experience than their actual entity cost would imply.
- Fixed an issue where SU-85 Focus Sight and T-70 Recon abilities were not properly highlighted when on cooldown.
- Fixed an issue where certain units could ‘double shot’.
- Fixed an issue where certain MGs could not be upgraded with Ambush Camouflage when captured.
- Fixed an issue where Ambush Camouflage did not properly apply at 1 CP. [An increase in CPs does not affect how the upgrade ambush camouflage is being applied to units.]
- Fixed an issue where the Grenadier 250 Half-Track was 7 population versus the 5 of the Panzergrenadier 250 Half-Track.
- Fixed an issue where Commandos previously took too long to regain their ambush bonuses when out of combat.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to hide the Sturmtiger aiming its shell.
- Fixed an issue that the Soviet Sniper would camouflage when only a single model was in cover.
- Fixed a UI issue where the building preview was displaying longer MG weapon range than the actual one. This applies to Bunkers and Fighting Positions. (Seems fine on Bunkers, Fighting Pits has more range then UI indicates)
- Fixed an issue where pinned squads under the effects of Raid Operation would be able to capture points with the ability on.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to access the same abilities between certain units. This includes, Lieutenants, Sappers and Tommies.
- Fixed an issue where machine guns that had the Ambush Camouflage Hold-Fire ability active upon death would not auto-acquire targets when they were recrewed.
- Fixed an issue where the Bofors Barrage would continue, even if the Bofors lost its garrison bonus.
- Fixed an issue where Mortar Pit Smoke Barrages left gaps within in its creeping barrage.
- Fixed an issue where certain team weapons sometimes could have suppression modifiers permanently attached.
- Fixed an issue where certain veterancy bonuses would not apply correctly to certain MGs and certain mortars
- Fixed an issue where demo charges would deal double damage if detonated by weapons’ fire.
- Fixed an issue where it was possible to stack multiple booby traps together on the same location.
- Fixed an issue where Prioritise vehicles would, sometimes, not show when multiple AT guns were selected together
- Emplacement range is now visible both when setting up and after they have been built
- Fixed Hammer vehicle tracking (wouldn’t refresh properly); duration decreased from 15 secs to 7 secs to compensate
- Recovery Sappers (UKF doctrinal) can now upgrade to heavy sappers and build structures, like vanilla sappers (QoL)
- Fixed an issue where some infantry squad models would cost more than 1 popcap (affected recrewed AT guns)
- Fixed an issue where OKW starting weapon crew stats were superior to other faction weapon crews, and on-par with mainline infantry
- Increased medic search radius for MedHQ and made it impossible for players to place it too close to pathblocking objects (to prevent squads from being stuck)