[2on2] [OKW] IR Half-Track Searchlight

12 months ago
GrenadeGrenade Posts: 5
edited April 2018 in Balance Feedback

SdKfz 251/20 Half-track w/ Infrared Searchlight.

This unit has too high utility in 2vs2 ~ 4vs4

1. Making this unit requires small expense and tech level

2. Reveals map easily (just put it behind building or etc...)

3. Has very little risk to broken

I suggest this unit to be swapped into Overwatch doctrine.

Comments

12 months ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,011

swapping in to overwatch is a pretty good idea - though I don't think it'll fix the problem.

I think realistically there are two options. Option 1 is to give the sweep a munitions cost so that you can't spam it for free passive map hacks. This will reduce how long the map is revealed for. Option 2 is to keep it passive, but to make the reveal not work through sight blockers - i.e. it will only clear fog of war if there are no obstructions between you and your target. This would require the unit to be in a place where it can be countered by direct fire.

12 months ago
    WiderstreitWiderstre… Posts: 950
    edited April 2018
    The scan is bugged, that is its op-ness. If pinned, and retreat while snanning your unit will be visible on the battle-map all the time. That is the dead for US. Same bug for british scanner... but it isn't possible to fix it, engine default. Remove the hole ability is the only solution. Poor story.
    11 months ago
    Since the valentine is doctrinal. I think the IR HT should be like so, too.
    11 months ago
    OberOber Posts: 96
    Seriously guys, why all the armies must be almost the same, what is the problem with the IR ht? If the valentine is doctrinal the IR HT should be too? Same people in this community is making this game so stupid... the ir ht have a short range to discover units and this must be very close to the front to make a good job, if you cant find this and destroy you are playing bad... Okw need this unit not doctrinal because this army doesnt not have super heavy mortar or another strong arty
    11 months ago
    thedarkarmadillothedarkar… Posts: 5,724
    IR halftrack certainly doesn't have a "short" range. And if you get surprised by an attack and lose it you must have had it facing the wrong direction...
    11 months ago

@Ober said:
    Seriously guys, why all the armies must be almost the same, what is the problem with the IR ht? If the valentine is doctrinal the IR HT should be too? Same people in this community is making this game so stupid... the ir ht have a short range to discover units and this must be very close to the front to make a good job, if you cant find this and destroy you are playing bad... Okw need this unit not doctrinal because this army doesnt not have super heavy mortar or another strong arty

OKW already have good leig and insane Stuka
    IR half truck is absoultly cheap-map hack unit and hard to destroy

IR half truck needs to move Overwatch commander

11 months ago
    DarjeelingMK7Darjeelin… Posts: 237
    edited May 2018
    Tell me what undoctrinal unit the UKF have to couter IR, LEIG and stuka ??? All that "trong arty" you said are stick to a doc. Do i have to pick royal artillery every single time ?
    11 months ago
    DarjeelingMK7Darjeelin… Posts: 237
    In small 1v1 or 2v2 map. The ir can see almost everything, make it cant be easyer for Leig and stuka to do their job.
    11 months ago
    To get an IR and a stuka is ~200 fuel iirc. As brits that puts you at armour if memory serves right. Its a build that counters a passive player. Spread out, move around. Its not like you need to worry about supression. They delayed armour for information use that to expedite your own armour and keep the pressure up
    11 months ago
    SkysTheLimitSkysTheLi… Posts: 2,263

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    To get an IR and a stuka is ~200 fuel iirc. As brits that puts you at armour if memory serves right. Its a build that counters a passive player. Spread out, move around. Its not like you need to worry about supression. They delayed armour for information use that to expedite your own armour and keep the pressure up

I agree about the stuka+IR, but that doesn't mean that the IR has no issues on its own. You don't need a walking stuka for that to be valuable, and I am confused by the suppression statement. OKW gets MGs and if they have an IR HT why wouldn't you have them? Makes positioning them to deal with infantry easy as hell.

It's too much of a no-brainier for me (speaking from 2v2 as usual). There's little cost to losing it unless you lose it like immediately before you can get use out of it. It really does seem like it belongs on Overwatch, and definitely not in the stock lineup.

11 months ago
    @SkysTheLimit the mg34 is as bad as the maxim at its only job without the larg crew to back it up and is a waste of manpower.

Dont get me wrong, the IR is a good unit, but it impacts the player too. Mech gives the player a passive direction. In team games its much stronger of course but the cost comes from somewhere. 15fuel and some pop matters if the match is close

Id RATHER it be a munitions per use sweep than a passive, but thats just because i prefer player input over set and forget passive rewards.
    11 months ago

@thedarkarmadillo except its 50mp cheaper than the maxim, and i've felt the 34 is better at its job and that the maxim can deal more damage to models.

Isn't the IR HT just 5 fuel? It was at some point, and id be on board with a munitions sweep too.

11 months ago
    @SkysTheLimit never had a good experience with the 34 since they changed the crew personally. Ill give it another rip maybe im misremebering.

Also i think its 15 fuel now, again ill have to recheck.
    11 months ago
    LazarusLazarus Posts: 4,011
    Who knows - maybe the indirect fire changes will help but I'm with Sky here. The set and forget omni-hack for a game where recon is so extremly important (and truesight is listed as a selling feature) just doesn't seem to have a place for the IR half track in its current iteration.

I'd rather it do something other than map hack like a small aim time or accuracy bonus to things like the Raketen, JP and Puma.
    11 months ago

@Lazarus said:
    Who knows - maybe the indirect fire changes will help but I'm with Sky here. The set and forget omni-hack for a game where recon is so extremly important (and truesight is listed as a selling feature) just doesn't seem to have a place for the IR half track in its current iteration.

I'd rather it do something other than map hack like a small aim time or accuracy bonus to things like the Raketen, JP and Puma.

a little while ago i was thinking of a rework for spec ops commander: make flares an ability on the command panther, put the IR HT in their place, and make it give an accuracy buff for IR stgs or something.

11 months ago
    edited May 2018
    > @Lazarus said:
    > The set and forget omni-hack for a game where recon is so extremly important (and truesight is listed as a selling feature)

Yeah that's a better way to put it. LOS blockers are everything in this game, and it's too much of a direct bypass. It vaguely reminds me of forward retreats, only in that it messes too directly with a core function of the game. Though it definitely doesn't have the same level of impact FRPs can.
    11 months ago
    Sander93Sander93 Posts: 45
    edited May 2018

@thedarkarmadillo said:
    a little while ago i was thinking of a rework for spec ops commander: make flares an ability on the command panther, put the IR HT in their place, and make it give an accuracy buff for IR stgs or something.

In that case the doctrine should passively give IR scopes to all vehicles too and the IRHT should give them an accuracy buff. That's how it was supposed to work IRL anyway. Only way I see it being useful.
    With the way game mechanics work however I doubt it would be possible to give accuracy buff only against units that are in the spotlight.

11 months ago
    WiderstreitWiderstre… Posts: 950
    It would be a possibility if we overwork the hole strategic map, because with the scan-bug (permanent visible on mini-map) every change wouldn't fix anything.