Wehrmacht - New Commander Mod Official Discussion

4 months ago
Andy_REAndy_RE Posts: 259 admin

Hey all,

Please use this thread to discuss the New Commander Mod and provide any feedback you have in relation to Wehrmacht

Current version notes, and instructions for how to play the mod are here: http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2019/03/19/new-commander-update-commander-rosters-and-test-mod

Comments

4 months ago
    Dangminh25Dangminh25 Posts: 65
    edited March 21

the Pz IV H and Pz IV J look to same
    can you remove Hull Skirts (just keep the turret) and decrease turret speed of the Pz IV J ? (also down the price a bit)
    in History, Pz IV J just a decrease version of Pz IV H

4 months ago

Well, these are certainly good commanders all around. Its not exactly what I wanted, but still a good change. Im happy to see the Wehrmacht and OKW especially get some more versatility. American and British commanders are good, and the Soviet paratroopers are going to be fun to use. A bit strange that you've added this as a steam workshop mod, and not in a game update however.

Also, this

Panzer IV H

Gives Ostheer access OKW Panzer IV J from the Support Armor Korp.

4 months ago

The Idea of Panzergrens upgraded with Panzerschrecks still having acess to the scatchel is crazy, there are players out there who are complaining about the penals stilll being too strong, what the hell should they say when they see the Objectivly best AT squad in the whole game. If this Ability gets in the game its absolutly crazy, I will deinstall the game instantly! The two abilities must cancel each other out and still would the scatchel be a bit gamebreaking because the Panzergrenadiere is a good and solid infantry unit they are really good in cqb but if you give them AT of that kind what should counter the unit ? Tanks will get snared and infantry like rifelman will get shreaded by the StG and Bundelgranate.

4 months ago
    freejones12freejones… Posts: 52
    edited March 21

* OST - Strategic Reserves

Assault Grenadiers seem like a good first choice. The buff to the unit itself and to the MP40s is great, as close range units seem to struggle greatly in this game to be effective all the time, especially in open maps. I'm glad these changes are coming. Breakthrough equipment is great, as it gives a bunch of new uses for Panzergrenadiers and Pioneers. Finally, the Soviets aren't the only ones who can bring terror with their satchels. Its going to be nice to get revenge for every squad I've lost to a satchel. The Panzer IV H, while hilariously spawning a Panzer IV J which itself does not match the typical J configuration but more closely resembles the H, will be of limited use in my opinion as the OST already get both the Panzer IV and Panther in their base tree, so I'm not entirely sure why a slightly better Panzer IV was used to take up a slot. Tiger Ace at long last seems to have gotten the changes it so needed. All the changes to it seem to make it more useful for longer games, and is much fairer to the opposing side. I'm glad especially that the 1 per match cap was removed, that's never a good thing for an RTS game.

Overall, this is a good way to give a little more life into the game, and I'm interested to see how these commanders will perform in the coming weeks. My only question is if the changes to units are only for these commanders, or for any commander with the abilities?

Thank You Relic.

*Edited to put my thoughts about each commander in the proper forum post.

4 months ago
    Lnk003Lnk003 Posts: 417
    edited May 3

Tiger ace changes are pretty good, upgrade for pios and pgrens is fine. The rest isn't that amazing

4 months ago
    Sander93Sander93 Posts: 49
    edited March 21

@freejones12 said:
    My only question is if the changes to units are only for these commanders, or for any commander with the abilities?
    Thank You Relic.

Glad you like the new commanders so far. Yes, all abilities and units that are in other doctrines will be changed too (Pfussies, Tiger Ace, Assault Grenadiers, etc.).

4 months ago

@Sander93 thank you for the clarification!

4 months ago

Tiger Ace

The Tiger Ace has undergone a rework with the intention to make it a less controversial unit. The following changes should make it less frustrating to both play with and against.

No longer reduces income.
    Sight from 50 to 35.
    Has 10% increased accuracy over the regular Tiger.
    Starts at veterancy 0.
    Now has access to Spearhead ability at veterancy 1 in addition to Blitzkrieg; similar to King Tiger's ability.
    Has access to Emergency Repairs ability; same as OKW Elite Armor.
    CP requirement from 17 to 15
    Population from 26 to 24
    Cost from 800/150 to 800/250
    Limited 1 time call-in removed.

-> is it buff? It's like watching a more expensive sandbag.

Tiger is not a static unit likes King tiger and dont need "spear head"

he need "target weak point"

And sight 50->35...? WTF ??

one of the Tiger ace's strong point was sight

balance team makes Tiger ace just "more expensive sandbag" and lost all of strong point

plz roll back his sight 50

4 months ago
    az244az244 Cracow, PolandPosts: 16
    edited March 26

4 months ago
    WAAAGH2000WAAAGH2000 Posts: 57

@HyperBlancat said:

balance team makes Tiger ace just "more expensive sandbag" and lost all of strong point

spear head +50% sight

4 months ago

Panzer IV .H is stupid,make it be command tank or change to another ability

4 months ago

@WAAAGH2000 said:

@HyperBlancat said:

spear head +50% sight

ability and basic stat is different

while using spear head, Tiger ace cant move

4 months ago

Who told you when you using spear head tiger cant move?

4 months ago

@WAAAGH2000 said:

Who told you when you using spear head tiger cant move?

confirmed, my miss

4 months ago
    BazookaDreBazookaDre Posts: 21

I'm really liking this Commander, the Panzer IVs and Assault Grens are really great and I like the changes to the Tiger Ace. Does anyone feel that the new Tiger Ace is too strong for cost however? I think its more or less right on the money for now, but I'm feel that the cost factor is where of the balancing will happen for this skill if anything at all.

4 months ago
    az244az244 Cracow, PolandPosts: 16

AI is broken in some way. Sometimes, when the mod is active, AI doesn't tech up. In one of matches it was using only conscripts and sappers.

4 months ago
    BazookaDreBazookaDre Posts: 21

Yep I saw this too AZ244. If you destroy their HQ, then the AI activates its teching. Its very weird.

4 months ago
    mrgame2mrgame2 Posts: 496

Definitely interesting to see at-satchel on shrek pg, let see if Allies player practice what they preach about at-satchel against vehicle micro.

But to be fair, i believe, removing engine damage with gun destory is better outcome for all at-satchel, sov and wehr.

Peronally i think remove the PIV and replace with double stugs is more interesting.
    Stug are under used because of the AT pen not as good. But 2 of them can work.

4 months ago
    xVitexVite Posts: 1
    edited March 21

I can have both tigers >:)

4 months ago
    kwm1kwm1 Posts: 8
    edited March 21

AI only produces units from frist building and they dont tech up. Is this on purpose or bug?

4 months ago
    Patrol_OmegaPatrol_Om… Posts: 239

Panzer IV H

Balance quality of life:

Gives Ostheer access OKW Panzer IV J from the Support Armor Korp Heavy Panzer Korps (Tier 4).

4 months ago

Breakthrough Equipment

Wehrmacht Meta incomming! Not only having the best AT equipment on the game, they now get Satchels ....

Allies infantry should be given the option of upgrading to Stolen Panzerschercks too see if they still keep calling Panzerschrecks not OP at all.

4 months ago
    GaInGaIn Posts: 16

Hi Andy,

Here's my feedback after some testing:

First of all, I LOVE that assault grenadiers are getting some love. Wehrmacht seems to lack early aggression and assault grenadiers simply weren't on par with other early aggression units. So the buffs are great and may add a viable alternative to the standard MG + 3 gren early game.

I also love the pioneer upgrade, mostly for its repair speed bonus. Wehrmacht is quite short on quick repair options compared to other factions.

Now some suggestions point by point:

• I would suggest the 6 man upgrade on agrens is a free upgrade at vet2, because Wehrmacht is already very strapped for ammo throughout most of the early and midgame. Not having to spend ammo on upgrades for once would open up room for more mine laying, which helps compensate for the agrens lack of a faust.

• The satchel charge on the panzer grenadiers seems redundant to me because of the bundle grenade. A smoke grenade would be a perfect replacement. This would allow both the pgrens and the agrens to close the distance more easily, making for a close quarters Wehrmacht commander! If the satchel charge is desirable, the smoke grenade may even lock out the bundle grenade so that the satchel can still be there along with the smoke grenade.

• I personally think radio intercept without the sound doesn't work. Perhaps a slightly hushed version of the enemy's announcer, preceded by some static would be a quick way to implement this? If adding sound is no option, this ability is probably best replaced. I personally love spotting scopes and would love to see it on more commanders.

• No comment on the OKW P4. I think it's fun.

• The Tiger Ace doesn't really feel like an Ace without its veterancy. How about calling it a command Tiger and giving it an aura like the command p4 or command panther? The 800/250 price and 15 CP requirement should balance the extra utility it has over a regular tiger.

Thanks for listening!

4 months ago

Breakthrough Equipment

Panzergrenadiers can throw Satchel Charge; requires no upgrade.**

This probably OP, here is an alternative

Sturmgrenadier Package (80 Munitions)

Panzergrenadiers squad size increase to 5
    satchel charge replaces bundle grenade

Excludes
    Panzerschreck

4 months ago

Breakthrough Equipment

Gives a single infantry unit the best of two worlds. Satchels been the best anti emplacements and still keeping their best anti-tank upgrade on infantry Panzerschreck!

Solution:

Removing Satchels from Axis infantry.

Avoid breaking the game.

4 months ago
    maxhewittmaxhewitt East Sussex, United KingdomPosts: 6

Hi all! Loving the new commanders. I noticed a Strategic reserves text typo on the pioneer ability texts - nothing serious but ruins immersion.

4 months ago
    FarlionFarlion Posts: 21

Not sure how to feel about the Tiger Ace. As it stands, it doesn't seem all that different from a regular Wehrmacht Tiger I.

I mean if the team is hell-bound on changing the Tiger Ace, perhaps move the Tiger Ace to the OKW Commander (so they wouldn't just have a Stock Tiger I) and give the Wehrmacht a King Tiger?

This way both factions would get something fairly unique and new that fit with both doctrines.

4 months ago

@HyperBlancat said:

confirmed, my miss

You should confirmed,miss

4 months ago
    Aiborne82Aiborne82 Posts: 17
    edited March 22

Is there any difference between the PZIVs beside the armor? I thought the one got it after veterancy anyway

4 months ago
    FarlionFarlion Posts: 21

Better gun.